• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Your Cheap Cordless Phone Is A Bug

A

Anonymous

I have this adjustable antenna which I've been using for receiving various satellites which broadcast in the VHF UHF and LBand frequency ranges.

Last weekend, on a whim, I adjusted for appx 31.5 mhz - and had a quick tune across the cordless 'phone channels.

I was quite surprised to find loud signals on all channels. To test the range I called a friend who has such a phone and who lives about 3/4 mile away. I could hear our call and found it in seconds.

So - if you've got a cheaper cordless phone (ie all except the newish DECT models) - then your calls can probably be heard well beyond the normal 'range' of the 'phone.

Think about that when you're making a private call or using your credit card. To protect against being heard like this it is necessary not just to use a normal 'phone for those calls. Also unplug the cordless base station from the telephone circuit. To be certain.

PS - please don't think that I'm some kind of creep who listens into other people's calls. It really was just an experiment. I was quite shocked.

PPS - that baby alarm. It's basically a 'bug'. Normally paired with a fairly cra**y receiver - but tune in with a pro receiver and a pair of headphones and the chances are you can hear stuff in other rooms too.

I have heard about the baby alarms being bugs. On of our next door neighbours (the dad) woke up during the night hearing a small child cry. He thought that it was his daughter only she was fast asleep in the middle of the bed next to him and his wife.

Later after asking around he found out that 2 other families had the same make of baby alarm and one of them was on the same channel as theres.

luce

I had the same problem with a pair of singlewave band two way radios. They worked fine for a time, then a baby alarm came on the waveband. We could hear EVERYTHING!!!:eek!!!!:

In the end, we gave up using the radios, it just got too embarrassing trying to talk over the top of the extraneous noise.

We never could work out who the couple were either.:confused:

Come to think of it, I thought that for several years, since digital phones came out, the average person was unable to decipher the signals & eavesdrop on conversations made on mobile phones. So no more Dianagate & Squidgygate tapes!!!!

Maybe things are different on the IoM.:confused:

Come to think of it, I thought that for several years, since digital phones came out, the average person was unable to decipher the signals & eavesdrop on conversations made on mobile phones. So no more Dianagate & Squidgygate tapes!!!!

Just to be clear - I'm talking about cordless 'phones - the kind of thing you might use around the house and garden. Only the recent DECT models are safe. BT and others still sell the older analogue sets.

As for GSM cell phones (mobiles): the equipment required to monitor these is not readily available. It isn't possible to simply 'tune in' - as was possible with the old analogue models.

A few years ago I got a cordless phone and one night decided to test the range. I dialled up one of the services that BT used to have (dial a disc,does that still exist?) and took the dog out for a walk. I found that three houses in the road had compatible equipment and I could dial out on their lines. I didn't of course, but I could get a dial tone.

Do radio waves hav an efect on Humans?... just wondering what someones air waves are doing to me?

mr chopper said:
i have a fairly cheap scanner and without trying very hard i can listen to peoples corldess phones, most mobile phone, police, fire ambulance, the milatary and prisons, and that's with a hundred pound scanner in the hands of a novice!! i have recorded police frequencies on a few occaisions, so imagine a good peice of kit in the hands of someone who has a bit of a clue with what to do!!!
You can get locked up for that.
Jon, I suspect we are all slowly being microwaved. One of my friends put his hand on an antenna while I was transmitting and got himself an RF burn. Smelled awful, frazzled him right the way through.

I see in the news today, a bloke who broadcast Chubby Brown jokes over police & ambulance, radio links has been tried & remanded in custody pending sentencing next month!!!

It wasn't so much the listerning in that mattered to the police, as if they were likely to notice it, it was the blocking of the emergency channels.

In any case, it seems likly that most of the emergency services will be going over to digital radio over the next few years. Or at least when local authorities can find the funding!!!!!!

Do radio waves have an effect on humans.

I think it is fairest to say that while all Electro Magnetic Radiation has an effect on the human body which is proportional to the energy of the radiation and its wavelength, ranging from the negligible to the lethal, I try to avoid EMR whenever I can. I do use a cellphone but try to use it briefly and with a hands free, I do use a microwave and always stay a respectful distance away from it. Like the old axiom says. "Everything is poisonous, its just the dose that varies."

Well, a microwave oven should be sufficiently closed so no radiation comes out. And I don't think normal radio waves is a problem, but stay far way from cell phones. Nobody bothered to check if they were harmful before putting them on the market.

Mobile phones and me

I generally use mine just to text people with. When I do use it to talk to someone on then I try (yet sometimes fail) to keep the call short. Why?...

..Because it "fries my brain" thats why. It gives me a kind of headache that is not like normal headaches. The side of my head I used the phone on during the call (often try to switch sides during the call) well in my head to be exact feels like a strange but but major burning sensation. Thats why I said "fries my brain" because it feels a bit like it is.

luce

Totally agree L. I get exactly that same burning sensation (or sometimes a tightness) and, like you, I always try to regularly switch sides on longer calls. Whatever the telecoms companies may tell me I am quite certain that prolonged exposure can do no good.

I always treat my mobile phone with considerable caution. I have never trusted those 'handsfree' earpieces - since it has always been obvious to me that the unshielded cable would act as an antenna and carry any rf directly to my head.

Also - since the phone regularly transmits a signal - even when not connected on a call .... therefore I don't keep it in a pocket next to my organs etc.

I refuse to own a cellphone, if only because they ring when you're in public and make you look like a tit.

cellphone radiation

In years to come will be called The Microwave Generation, and will we be watching Panorama programmes on how we cooked our brains? E-mail me in 20 years!

My other half doesn't use mobiles anymore due to the 'brain fry'.
Whenever he started a telephone call his eye on the side which he held the 'phone started to twitch and then a headache would soon start. Happens with all mobiles......
Or maybe he doesn't want to talk to me:D

Never had a problem with mobiles, except, when I'm out on the hives.... Then, you try answering one of the b***ers in a full bee suit!!!!!

Oh! And I broke my last one when I was clearing a wasp nest.

I bent down & broke the end with the aerial, clean off!!! But the service provider was doing a new for old offer & I got a new phone for a fiver.....

Mind you, there was a time, when I could be out at the back end of a field or wood, with fifty thousand bees round me & just no one would bother you.

Now days, they phone you up & complain about the connection: "Must be in an area of poor reception m8, there's a lot of buzzing on the line!". I reply : "Yes, there's a few bugs...well insects, on my phone" & the caller thinks I'm getting paranoid!!!!!:D

I just bought a 2.4 gigahertz phone, does that fall into the 'I am bugged' realm?...........

Na! The radiation it gives out, will probably fry any bugs on you, probably make your hair fall out as well!!!!:D

I just bought a 2.4 gigahertz phone, does that fall into the 'I am bugged' realm?...........

I think that the 2.4 gig portables are fully digital.

Only analogue 'phones can be easily intercepted.

===================BAD TASTE ALERT===============

Here goes...
Can you get a brain tubor? Would that make you mr. potato head?
Hardly worth it for such a weak pun, was it?

ah, thank god, I hate the feeling I'm talking to the world through a walkie-talkie...............

So what is the highest gigahertz phone now? I just got a great deal on a 2.4 gigahertz how high have they gone now?

So what is the highest gigahertz phone now?

To the best of my knowledge the 2.4 ghz band phones are the highest frequency cordless 'phones available worldwide.

In europe legal digital cordless 'phones use appx 900 mhz. Various different European analogue 'phone systems use appx 30 - 50 mhz.

Satellite 'phones, both analogue and digital, use appx 1640 mhz.

ITU Genève

Inverurie Jones said:
I refuse to own a cellphone, if only because they ring when you're in
public and make you look like a tit.
I never wanted a cellphone untill about a year ago when I found myself stranded on a lonely stretch of road about 30 miles in any direction from anything. Now I carry my cellphone and endure looking like a tit(a huge fat tit at that) from time to time.

Cellphones? Cellphones?! They're rubbish. If I've got something to say, I'll say it to your face.

Captain Buttock said:
Cellphones? Cellphones?! They're rubbish. If I've got something to say, I'll say it to your face.
Which one? :p

Back