• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Goodies

Re: Re: Hmmm DVD *drool*

Blueswidow said:
No, I brought it......its great, brings it all back, i now realise that I was always a little bit in love with Graham Garden. He had it all, intelligence, wit, talent *sigh*

Does it have that ep. where they all fall for the same glamourous young woman, and she tells Graeme IIRC when he tells her how he feels, "Maybe if you took your glasses off..." So he does, makes puppy-dog eyes and she winces and tells him "No, maybe not..." -? Always liked that gag. :)

The Goodies were on Radio 4's 'Front Row' the other night talking about the DVD and VHS release - apparently The Goodies was one of the first videos to be released by the BBC in the late 70's/early 80's and didn't sell well - which isn't so strnage when you hear that it cost £80! So, apparantly, the BBC were hesitant to release them again.

I remember The Goodies - I used to fancy one of them when I was a kid - he looked like Peter Torq in the Monkees (oh dear, my penchant for chaps with bowl haircuts is revealed!)

As for The Goodies not being PC, why is it that they're always showing sodding Dad's Army with all that stuff about 'fuzzy-wuzzies'? Hmmm... how PC. But when I was little, I thought he was talking about 'Fuzzy Felts'!

Also, 'kitten kong' - I wonder if this was the inspiration for rathergood.com with the punk rock kittens?

Re: Re: Re: Hmmm DVD *drool*

Zygon said:
Does it have that ep. where they all fall for the same glamourous young woman, and she tells Graeme IIRC when he tells her how he feels, "Maybe if you took your glasses off..." So he does, makes puppy-dog eyes and she winces and tells him "No, maybe not..." -? Always liked that gag. :)

Not sure, i've rationed myself to one tape last night and another tomorrow night to prolong the pleasure (gives you some indication of my sad little life).........one of the high-lights so far has been the bit in kitten kong where graham keeps finding the bush-baby attched to his hand (obviously its a very visual gag!!).

when satalite tv first started there was a comedy channel that aired the goodies all the time. the channel then disappeared.

this may have something to do with why they arn't repeated anymore.

I recently found 4 episodes on usenet, including the famous 'Kitten kong' episode. However my favourite by far was 'Eccy Thump', that was achingly funny when it came out, i'd love to see that again. Over the years, these cpmedy classics do get viewed through rose tinted glasses though, same as other tv progs from the 70's that i have found on the internet over the last 3 years. But The goodies were still as funny as ever.
fingers crossed that the dvd has Eccy thump on it.

ps. The goodies were also huge pop starts in 1970's Uk with 'Blackpudding Bertha', & 'The in betweenies' been sung as just 2 of their many top of the pops appearences

Well, Ecky Thump was the episode that killed someone.

I remember Bill Oddie describing the very touching letter they got from the man's widow thanking them for making his dying moments happy.

anome said:
Well, Ecky Thump was the episode that killed someone.

I remember Bill Oddie describing the very touching letter they got from the man's widow thanking them for making his dying moments happy.

Yes, I always thought that was a bit daft, seeing as it was them that killed him in the first place. Apparently, the guy had been laughing for something like 90 minutes non-stop, even after the programme ended, before his heart suddenly gave out under the strain.

To have killed someone with laughter is a bit of an unbeatable recommendation for a comedy, isn't it? Sounds like the Python sketch about the deadly joke.

That was the episode with the cream scone mine, too, wasn't it? It ended with them all going over a cliff in a shopping trolley if I recall correctly (which it's possible I don't, seeing as the whole thing was viewed through a haze of tears, many years ago).

FWIW, my favourite Goodies episode was the one with Bigfoot (and it turned out to be just that -- a really big foot, that chased them round a wood). The premise was that they went off trying to find if Arthur C Clarke really existed, and parts of it were presented as documentary, but in a really "straight" way. I particularly remember one "talking head" that was a man in his front room:

Interviewer (off camera): You claim to have seen Arthur C Clarke and lived to tell the tale ... what happened to you?

Man: Well, I was just sitting here watching the telly, when all of a sudden I saw this old fellow with a big umbrella walking along a beach.

Interviewer: What happened then?

Man: I fell asleep.

Doesn't sound particularly funny, but the straight-faced way it was done (especially the witness's earnest manner) made it almost delirious.

My understanding was that he had been sick for some time, but I may be remembering it wrong.

Anyway, she made it clear that she didn't hold them responsible for his death. These days, you'd never get that kind of response, because it would limit your compensation when you sued the BBC over it.

Just bought my copy of the dvd. wow only £18 and free post for 8 episodes INCLUDING eccy thump (kung fu capers):D

ps. Ive just recieved my Jam (chris morris) dvd but thats a whole diferent generation of comedy;)

Hey zardoz - I bought "The Goodies" and "Jam" together as well!

I don't know which one scares me more!

Went all around Warrington on Saturday, couldn't find a single copy of it!!!
Is there some conspiracy to prevent me buying a copy, or were all the shops solely concentrating on the new Bond release?

zardoz said:
ps. The goodies were also huge pop starts in 1970's Uk with 'Blackpudding Bertha', & 'The in betweenies' been sung as just 2 of their many top of the pops appearences
And who could forget those Giants of Progressive Music for the other examples of Chartbreaking Power Rock,

'Do, Do, Do the Funky Gibbon!'

and

'Father Christmas Do Not Touch Me!' ?

:p

Can't remember which year it was, but when the list of weeks spent in the charts was produced for songwriters, Bill Oddie managed to come an amazing third with something like 46.

'Father Christmas Do Not Touch Me!'

Ah yes, that great musical journey into pubescent female sexuality.

Father Christmas do not!
Father Cristmas - do!
Father Christmas!
FATHER!!!!!

escargot said:
Ah yes, that great musical journey into pubescent female sexuality.

Father Christmas do not!
Father Cristmas - do!
Father Christmas!
FATHER!!!!!

I'm sure it stopped at father christmas...unless you were Catholic.

Nah, the 'FATHER!' was a sort of outraged yell, repeated several times, possibly to suggest a sustained assault of some unspecified kind. :rolleyes:

We used to sing something similar in the mess; 'Oh, Sir Roger do not touch me...' Each 'verse' was repeated three times.

It ended; 'Oh! Oh! Oh!'

'Sick man Blues' anybody????

Who can forget the lyrical chorus?

'Throwing up,
throwing up,
up, up, up,
bleuuurrrghhhhhhhh'

Blowin' off, it's a gas,
Blowin' off, it's a trip.
It's a sin to hold it in, so
pffft
Let it rip.

Some folk like to hiccup,
Some folk like to cough,
But me........
parp
....I blow off.

:rofl:

I've got the Goodies album on cassette somewhere.... 'scuse me...

mah said:
when satalite tv first started there was a comedy channel that aired the goodies all the time. the channel then disappeared.

this may have something to do with why they arn't repeated anymore.

The DVD has a little section where it shows how the old original copies were all badly scratched and aged. The ones on the dvd were all digitally restored. Hopefully thats what will be done for all of them.

Remember the episode where Julie Andrews comes skipping over the brow of a hill singing "The hills are alive with the sound of music etc" and gets an arrow "Thump!" in her chest! Classic.

Eeee by 'Ecky Thump!

Got my copy at the weekend - and it's as funny as I remembered it to be :).

And my seven year old can't take his eyes off it either: ah, preserving culture for future generations!

loved the goodies! and also neil innes show which seems to have gone for good:(
quote: "To have killed someone with laughter is a bit of an unbeatable recommendation for a comedy, isn't it? "
Not really known as comic but years ago i was playing with tape splicing and running loops, making a spoof documentary about a rubber boot factory in a scottish castle and played it back to a mate to test it. He started chuckling, then laughing, then uncontrollable shaking silently when the fx ran for the boot making machine, finally started choking violently and fell on the floor! I was scared stiff that he would die as he had turned blue and couldn't get his breath, I loosened his shirt and tie and summoned help.
Eventually he recovered and the first aid guy asked what had brought it on. He said " that tape recording! Play it again....!"
Course I didn't, but maybe I should have archived it and sent it to monty python. :D

Back