• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Faith-Based Diets

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I suppose you can eat only saviouries:

Faith-Based Diets Growing In Popularity

New Diet Program Teaches People How To Fill Up On Spirituality

UPDATED: 12:01 pm EST February 16, 2005

LEAWOOD, Kan. -- Have people searching for the so-called miracle diet been looking in the wrong book?

Faith-based diets are growing in popularity. But are we talking literally eating what the disciples ate? Not necessarily so.

A plan called Light Weigh, developed by Suzanne Fowler, is simply a spiritual approach to weight loss, reported KMBC-TV in Kansas City, Mo.

"What I discovered were these techniques for overcoming temptation that work as well today as they worked then. They've just been forgotten about," Fowler said.

The 12-week Light Weigh program includes videos, weekly meetings and workbooks. Fowler said that she teaches people how to fill up on God and spirituality rather than cheeseburgers.

"The whole reason people overeat is a spiritual hole, not a stomach hole," Fowler said. "He can give a peace it can never give you. Food will never help you the way God can."

There are no forbidden foods, no special menus, no weigh-ins in the program.

"One of the big lessons of Light Weigh is learning to tell when you're full or about to be full, and it's easy to bypass that. I was bypassing that at every meal," said Jane Peck, who lost weight on Light Weigh.

"I feel like I'm a miracle. I never thought I could lose the weight," Fowler said.

Followers of the Light Weigh program believe they succeed while others fail because they find inner peace.

"I think this one works because you address why you're going to food. It's not just another diet," Fowler said.

But not all faith-based diets are like Light Weigh. Some approach it more literally. "The Maker's Diet," by Jordan Rubin, is more defined. All foods should be as natural as possible, not processed, and closer to the way humans ate in Biblical times.

"I believe most people today, 50 percent of what they put in their mouth should not even be called food. It's a tragedy," Rubin said.

The Bible has a lot to say about what to eat, and how to eat it, according to Dr. Randy Jaeggli, professor of Old Testament studies at Bob Jones University in Greenville, S.C.

"We think that basically the purpose of these dietary regulations in the Old Testament was to cause good people to make discerning choices and to respond to the sovereignty of God over everything -- even what they ate," said Jaeggli.

Rubin was ready to do that after Crohn's disease struck. The inflammatory bowel disease caused his weight to plummet to 104 pounds on his 6-foot frame. After trying everything medical science could offer, he turned to his faith and decided to eat Biblically, reported WBAL-TV in Baltimore.

Here are the top healing foods Rubin pulled from the Bible:

Fish and fish oil;

Barley and wheat;

Cultured dairy from goats, cows and sheep;

Figs, grapes and berries;

Organic or wild meat.

The Bible is not generally thought of as a recipe book, but there are recipes in there. For example, in Ezekiel 4:9, it talks about taking six grains and beans and combining them into a bread. Together that creates a perfect protein with all nine amino acids.

A typical "Maker's Diet" menu looks like this:

An onion, pepper and goat cheese omelet with avacado slices for breakfast.

Oriental red meat salad for lunch.

Coconut milk soup, broiled halibut and a green salad for dinner.

Goat's milk yogurt, raw honey and blueberries for a snack.

The diet works in three phases over 40 days. Although Rubin gained weight, he said most people lose an average of 8 to 15 pounds during the first two weeks. Then, it's all about maintaining a healthier way of eating and living.

The Maker's Diet is more controversial than Light Weigh, KMBC reported. It calls for fasting at least one day a week. Health experts said that can be dangerous. The diet also includes taking vitamins from the author's own line of supplements.

Some have accused The Maker's Diet of preying on its followers.

"I don't really think we know that what this book is telling us is really what people in the Bible ate," said Tara Geise, of the American Dietetic Association.

Additional Resources:

* Light Weigh Diet
http://www.lightweigh.com/
*The Maker's Diet
http://www.makersdiet.com/

Source

There is that well-known diet guru Pat Robertson of the 700 Club

Picture yourself 12 weeks from now...

Your body is leaner and you're filled with a new energy and optimism! You've taught your body how to burn fat, build muscle and lose weight. Most of all, you've discovered that change is possible, and you're on your way to achieving your goals.

On Pat's Weight Loss Challenge Program, you'll lose fat, not muscle. AND YOU WILL NEVER BE HUNGRY ON THIS PLAN. Instead, this program forces your body to mobilize your stored fat for energy.

The new year is a perfect time to renew your commitment to health and fitness -- and to yourself! Make 2005 the year you achieve your goals for a healthier lifestyle! We'll send you a complete Pat's Weight Loss Challenge Program for each
gift of $25 to CBN. You'll be helping to spread the gospel as you complete your holiday gift list.

There have been over one-half million requests for Pat's Weight Loss Challenge. People just like you are radically changing their lives and outlook - losing weight they never thought possible and enjoying a new zest for life! You can do it too! This program makes it healthy and easy.

http://www.cbn.com/premiums/weightlossD ... /index.asp

Emperor said:
"The whole reason people overeat is a spiritual hole, not a stomach hole," Fowler said. "He can give a peace it can never give you. Food will never help you the way God can."

can i have a xxl wildeness burgertm (made with fat free locusts and wild honey), xl sideorder of apostle friestm, and a small diet water into wine coketm.

:D

Is Anything Wrong With Pat Robertson Making a Killing?
'Age-Defying' Shake Stirs Questions About Business Practices And Nonprofit Status

By Bill Sizemore
The Virginian-Pilot
Friday, August 26, 2005; C08

NORFOLK -- While controversy boils over Pat Robertson's call for the assassination of Venezuela's president this week, another controversy is bubbling about one of his ventures.

Seems his "age-defying" diet shake isn't just a philanthropic endeavor anymore. The televangelist is looking to turn a profit from it.

After four years of touting the benefits of his weight-loss shake via his nonprofit Christian Broadcasting Network and sending the recipe to any viewer who asked for it, Robertson has licensed the shake for national distribution by General Nutrition Corp., a Pittsburgh-based health-food chain.

Robertson says he is exercising his right to engage in a business venture, but an evangelical watchdog group says he is abusing his nonprofit status. Moreover, a Texas bodybuilder who thought he was going to be Robertson's Jared is quite publicly angry that he's not.

Phil Busch had dreamed of inspiring millions of Robertson's viewers to lose weight drinking the evangelist's shake, just as Jared Fogle did for Subway sandwiches. Busch says he lost 198 pounds in 15 months drinking Robertson's concoction, leading to an on-camera interview with the Virginia Beach-based broadcaster on the daily TV show "The 700 Club" last month.

But Busch's hopes have been dashed by the crosscurrents of commerce. The man commercially hawking Robertson's shake is Pittsburgh bodybuilder Dave Hawk, who's affiliated with GNC.

Now Busch is hopping mad -- all 210 muscular pounds of him -- and the recriminations are flying.

Busch says Robertson played him for a sucker, using him to hype his product when it was a nonprofit venture, then dropping him like a hot, carb-filled potato when he went commercial. Robertson and Hawk say they've been publicly maligned by Busch and have threatened legal action.

A multimillionaire religious broadcaster and former presidential candidate, Robertson added "health-food promoter" to his wide-ranging résumé when he introduced "Pat's Age-Defying Shake" to viewers in August 2001.

Robertson, now 75, has said he devised the recipe himself after he turned 60 and began studying the connections among nutrition, aging and health.

Robertson says 1.5 million people have requested the recipe, which includes ingredients such as safflower oil, protein powder and vinegar. One of them was Busch, 41, a resident of suburban Dallas who bills himself as a bodybuilder, fitness trainer and motivational speaker. He says he weighed 410 pounds when he saw Robertson promoting his shake on TV in 2003 and decided to give it a try.

By following Robertson's diet in conjunction with an exercise program, Busch says, he lost 198 pounds and turned himself into a mass of muscle without using steroids or other drugs. Last year, he placed eighth in an International Natural Bodybuilding Association competition.

This spring, Robertson launched a 12-week Weight Loss Challenge on "The 700 Club," suggesting viewers slim down with exercise and a healthful diet, including two daily doses of his shake.

When Busch heard about the challenge, he sent before-and-after pictures of himself to CBN.

"They were ecstatic," Busch said in an interview. "They wanted to put my pictures on TV. I said okay."

Robertson showed the pictures to viewers early in the Weight Loss Challenge and included them in a commercial that ran for several weeks promoting the program.

Shortly before the end of the Weight Loss Challenge, Busch said, his wife noticed a GNC store display promoting a new product. Robertson's weight-loss shake had been turned into a powdered mix in a can: nine servings for $21.99.

In large type on the front of the can, the product is labeled "Pat's Diet Shake." In smaller type on the back, it is identified as "Dr. Pat Robertson's Diet Shake." Robertson is not a medical doctor, but he has a law degree, known formally as a juris doctor, from Yale Law School.

At the end of the Weight Loss Challenge in July, CBN flew Busch to Virginia Beach for a "700 Club" interview with Robertson. On the show, Robertson introduced Busch as "Exhibit A-plus" for his diet plan and asked if he used his shake.

"Absolutely, and it's very essential and it helps tremendously," Busch replied. "Matter of fact, now I just go to the GNC and get the weight-loss shake."

Busch says representatives of Robertson's organization led him to believe that he might be able to get a contract as a national spokesman for the shake, but nothing came of those discussions. He is bitter about being elbowed aside by Hawk, the bodybuilder affiliated with GNC.

"I'm the one that lost 198 pounds," Busch said. "I felt like an idiot. I felt used. All I was trying to do was inspire people. I did it for the viewers -- not to help Pat Robertson make money."

Hawk, a former Mr. USA and Mr. World, made two appearances on "The 700 Club" during the Weight Loss Challenge. On his second appearance, he wore a shirt bearing the GNC logo.

On his Web site, which promotes Robertson's shake, Hawk says he "works extensively with General Nutrition Corp. in a variety of capacities."

Busch has posted a broadside on his own Web site disavowing his endorsement of the shake: "I do not endorse this product and in no way should you expect the results I have achieved by consuming this product alone."

In a written reply to an inquiry from the Virginian-Pilot, Louis A. Isakoff, an attorney representing Robertson, characterized Busch's allegations as "bizarre, completely untrue and sadly mistaken."

Isakoff wrote that Busch was never offered an endorsement contract by Robertson or CBN. He said Robertson licensed his name and shake recipe to Basic Organics, a Columbus, Ohio-based manufacturer that produces the product and distributes it in GNC stores.

"Dr. Robertson, as a private individual, certainly has the right to engage in personal business ventures," Isakoff wrote.

Hawk is a consultant for Basic Organics.

Although ads for the shake have appeared immediately before the program on some stations, Isakoff said CBN has turned down requests by Basic Organics and GNC to advertise on "The 700 Club."

Robertson's shake recipe is still available on the CBN Web site. Alongside it is this advice: "You can purchase health supplements and shake products from high quality health food stores, like GNC."

The commercialization of Robertson's shake drew fire from the Trinity Foundation, a Dallas-based religious media watchdog organization. Trinity has been critical of past Robertson business ventures, such as his African gold and diamond mines and Kalo-Vita, a multilevel marketing company that sold vitamins and cosmetics.

Ole Anthony, Trinity's president, said Robertson improperly used his tax-exempt, nonprofit ministry to create a market for his shake.

"It wouldn't exist unless it was promoted on the donor-paid-for airtime," he said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 06_pf.html

. . . and Jessica took the avocado and blessed it, saying unto them,

"Take this and purée it in memory of me, for this is the guacamole of the new covenant. For mine is the King Prawn, the Chowder and John Dory.
Ah Naan!" :shock:

There is/was something called the paleo-diet that purported to replicate a human's "natural" diet in the wild. Seemed to be put together by someone who like Southeast Asian food a lot.

This stuff sounds like more of the same. New package, different label, smae lame junk inside.

I've got a book about the paleo diet, so I can say that it has nothing to do with any religion.
It's a bit like an extreme form of the Atkins diet (i.e. they recommend eating raw meat, and only foods that can be eaten raw). The book does make the point that meat bought in a supermarket or butchers would probably not be suitable for consumption, due to the germs from the meat processing. Certain items are excluded, such as potatoes - because they were not in the diet of early humans.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that the paleo diet was motivated by faith. They resemble each other in they have an imperfect knowledge of ancient/paleolithic foodways.

I love the pseudo nonesense re: germs in processed meat. Try hunting, skinning and gutting in the wild - unless in the arctic, I am willing to bet that there are going to be germs.....no wait, of course, how stupid of me...because you get your meat 'natural' is must be better :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't think it's so much that processed meat has germs in it, as it is that it has toxic chemicals in it. They do all kinds of things to meat and to the animals before they are slaughtered. For example, chickens are given (hormones?) to make them grow extremely fast. SO fast that often their organs give out and/or they develop leg problems as a result. Also, cows are sometimes fed other cows, which is where Mad Cow Disease comes from. It's not just the germs. It's what they give to the animals before they die and what they do to the meat afterwards that is cause for concern. Then again, I didn't read this book. I just know that people a lot of people are concernec about this stuff.

Although if it is germs they are worried about, chances are there are a lot more harmful germs inside a factory farm than there are in the wild. The conditions in these places are horrible beyond imagination. Pigs are being sliced open, there's blood and sick animal everywhere. I can't imagine any place on the face of the Earth that woujld have more germs.

I agree that there are some barbaric meat practices - handling and hormone injections - and therefore only eat non-forced free range meat that has been given a vegetarian diet, however the steralisation processes are actually quite good. NB. organic 'stuff' is of course just over priced pseudo nonesense playing on the affluent and ignorant. however, though I would like animals to be treated better, in many parts of the developing world battery techniques will have to be used to feed the populations as they urbanise and so anything that we have learnt about increased yield will be a benefit to those future people. Further, another thing that amuses me greatly is when truly ignorant do-gooders harp on about natural and chemicals re: food. AT the end of the day (re: food) it is all, if you forgive the simplicity, chemicals and just because some are man made doesn't make them any worse than any naturally occuring. Indeed, many 'natural' chemicals are highly toxic and some correlate highly with inducing cancer - not so different eh? Another great laugh is that people who think that all processed fruit and veg contain pesticides, whereas organic stuff doesn't, are barking up the wrong tree. Organic farms use organic pesticides - but they are produced artificially (chemically) in concentrations outside of anything in nature - indeed, the main organic pesticide is also highly correlated with cancer! My advice is wash all meats and vegetables/fruits first (if just for forms sake and cleaning your own hands).

Unca Pat's latest word on his 'Age-Defying Shake':

Pat Robertson's Age-Defying Shake

Did you know that Pat Robertson can leg-press 2000 pounds! How does he do it?

Where does Pat find the time and energy to host a daily, national TV show, head a world-wide ministry, develop visionary scholars, while traveling the globe as a statesman?

http://www.cbn.com/communitypublic/shake.asp

a) Though not a weight-training person myself I've been assured that being able to leg-press 2000lbs (~900kg) is well beyond the ability of even extremely large, muscular, young athletes and is, needless to say, for a 76 year old televangelist, preposterous. But b), Is it just me or is Pat is really begining to resemble nobody so much as Kim Jong-il?

This latest pronouncement being highly reminiscent of the Other Dear Leader revealing his ability to play golf (38 under par his first time on the links!!):

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 069#406069

Maybe 100 reps of 20lbs?

Probably the most effective faith based diet would be the prophet diet.
1) go to desert
2) only have minimal food (if at all) and water
3) find god(s)
4) Write down your insane scribblings - or devote to memory
5) come back extremely thin
5) Start religion
6) Get rich
7) get fat again
8) Get arrested, tried and imprisoned (lose some weight)
9) Martyrdom
10) Dead and bured - massive weight loss once more.

Eyethangewe.... 8) :lol:

Considering that Pat Robertson seems to be demonstrating signs of dementia, he's still fun to watch. Crazy old bustard.

Biblical diet 'not very healthy'

Biblical texts and archaeology suggest a diet low in vitamins and minerals
Ancient Israel was far from "the land of milk and honey," and instead people suffered from the lack of a balanced diet, according to a theologian.

Dr Nathan MacDonald, an Old Testament lecturer at St Andrews University, used biblical texts and archaeological evidence to study the ancient diet.

He has concluded that there were frequent famines and people's meals often lacked vitamins and minerals.

However, he believes the Bible contains important messages about sharing food.

Dr MacDonald feels his study disputes the notion held by many that the bible provides not just religious instruction and moral guidance, but the recipe for healthy living.

In North America, books based on the diet of the bible such as What Would Jesus Eat? and The Maker's Diet are bestsellers.

Dr MacDonald explained: "Though many people have thought otherwise, the evidence is that the diet in biblical times was not very healthy.

The bible has much to say about food that deserves attention, such as the importance of sharing food with those less fortunate

Dr Nathan MacDonald

"Except for times of famine and food shortage - which were relatively frequent - it provided the necessary calories, but was lacking in certain key vitamins and minerals.

"A number of books propound a biblical diet because it is thought to be a low fat, high fibre diet.

"True, many Israelites rarely ate meat, but vegetables and fruit also featured far less than they needed to. In reality, it was not a balanced diet."

By examining human remains from the Israelite period, Dr MacDonald found evidence of iron-deficiency anaemia, consistent with a diet high in flat bread and low in meat and vegetables.

He believes pregnant women and children would have been especially vulnerable to malnutrition.

However, Dr MacDonald, the author of What Did the Ancient Israelites Eat? Diet in Biblical Times, said the bible had messages about food that were still relevant today.

"The bible never purports to provide dietary advice. Even the biblical food laws serve very different purposes than modern nutritional advice," he said.

"Nevertheless, the bible has much to say about food that deserves attention, such as the importance of sharing food with those less fortunate then ourselves."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scot ... 826163.stm

A sort of irony in someone called MacDonald telling us about healthy diets.. ;)

Jesus: Look, it's high in Alpha and Omega and I've fed five thousand of you ungrateful sods on three of them, so I guess it's ocean-friendly, whatever that means. Now you want lettuce in it. Go away, all of you! I can feel one of my desert-moods coming on.

Crowd: Did he say dessert-foods? Crucify him! :err:

Back