• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fashion & Clothing: Follies, Fads & Social Norms

When did they go away?:omg:

I think they disappeared here for maybe a decade. Just about 6 months ago, I overheard two teen girls discussing what a mullet was. They described it incorrectly and I spoke up and explained what a mullet is. It has come around again:chuckle:
Indeed, the mullet is in and has been for some while. And why, yes, it does still look as bloody stupid as it did last time round. However, it is slightly better than the buzzcut which used to make even the sweetest young man look like a dyed-in-the-wool thug.

Indeed, the mullet is in and has been for some while. And why, yes, it does still look as bloody stupid as it did last time round. However, it is slightly better than the buzzcut which used to make even the sweetest young man look like a dyed-in-the-wool thug.
It's those 'styles' with the lines cut in that I hate.
Especially when it's on a young child.

And mullets.

This thread would be better titled ‘You’re not going out like that!’
young lady! :mad:

Have to say, as a teen I dressed modestly to the extent of actual frumpery, didn't even wear make-up, but still copped all that.
I must have been in unwitting possession of small bouncy breasts or a bum that dared to wiggle slightly or summat. :dunno:

Have to say, as a teen I dressed modestly to the extent of actual frumpery, didn't even wear make-up, but still copped all that.
I must have been in unwitting possession of small bouncy breasts or a bum that dared to wiggle slightly or summat. :dunno:
I think the only time my parents played the 'you can't go out dressed like that' was when I went out wearing a black plastic macintosh splattered with paint (my dad's painting overall) and see-through stiletto heels. They may, on that occasion, have had a point.

To be fair, I was going to a punk concert.

The forum rules dictate that a picture must be posted as evidence.

Yup.

How could I have ever considered long hair??
I considered long hair when I was 7. Down to my waist. After getting burrs caught in it, falling into an unused water trough full of duck weed, and having to survive having the tangles combed out, I think it (hair style) might have survived a year. Never again.

Mine is just slightly below my ears.

I remember being a teen (short haired) and a guy only a few years older, mentioning to me that he liked girls with long hair. :roll: Not sure why he told me that as there was no interest on my part.

I prefer women with long hair, but I've noticed that when a lot of ladies who have always had long hair get to a certain age, they cut it short.
Sometimes with added colour.........................

I think it's because short hair is low maintenance and easier to style and they colour it because they've gone past the point of caring what other people think.
As someone with short, grey hair, that is PRECISELY it, Storm. Nobody is going to look at me anyway, and so I might as well do what I want, rather than pander to the male gaze any longer. Even if it does mean I get mistaken for a bloke quite regularly. I have one daughter who has waist length hair, and the time and trouble it takes her to get it washed and brushed is a pain for anyone waiting for her to get ready to go out. But she likes it - although I was less keen when she was younger and got nits. Those took MONTHS to get rid of, while her siblings - all with shorter hair, were shot of the buggers in a much shorter time.

My hair remains long because it is no bother to me to clean, brush etc. How long that lasts, who can tell?
It also remains - as well as the beard - because my wife likes it. Hers is the only opinion that matters*.
This is why, I think, that the whole Steampunk costume genre is popular with a lot of middle aged folks - it's not only creative expression but, frankly, at this age I don't give a damn for people's opinion on how I dress.

* Some people may say otherwise but my respect for my wife's tastes comes not from dominance or manipulation but because we both genuinely respect each others tastes. It's part of why we're together.

* Some people may say otherwise but my respect for my wife's tastes comes not from dominance or manipulation but because we both genuinely respect each others tastes. It's part of why we're together.

This. And also prosopagnosia means that if Mr F shaved his beard off I wouldn't recognise him!

This is why, I think, that the whole Steampunk costume genre is popular with a lot of middle aged folks - it's not only creative expression but, frankly, at this age I don't give a damn for people's opinion on how I dress.
I know a couple - in their seventies and very serious Catholics - who absolutely love Steampunk and go to gatherings dressed fabulously. It's brilliant, and imaginative.

I noticed a younger guy in my office always pulls his bangs up off his forehead tied up with a rubber band. So it looks like a horn at the top front of his head. No effort and it looks absurd. He does this every day. I don't get why he doesn't just get his bangs cut. Also, they make clips for that.

In the past, I've used a headband or a hairclip but usually when I'm cooking or painting or whatever. Not a fashion choice but practicality.
No different from putting a bandana, really, though some blokes do this to either pretend they're a young biker/musician or to hide hairloss.

Back