• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Magic Money / Cash Apports: The Opposite Of Disappearing Coins

Well I must say your brownies are a lot more generous than mine. Maybe it's because my dust hasn't been cleaned away enough. After reading one of the threads about asking them to bring things back, I asked if I could have my 1st wedding ring which was lost ages ago somewhere around the house. Just after that I took out my bead box which has small compartments and inside was an American cent (I'm Australian) with my birthdate on it. There was the $2 that appeared in the sock drawer I wrote about on another thread too but nothing substantial.

Geez...our house gnome only steals stuff :? Maybe I should request recompense or maybe you could talk to yours and have them talk to mine? :)

My wife and I had things dissapear in our old apartment.
Most notably the squirt-guns we would shoot the cats with whenever they climbed up on the table.
We thought perhaps the cats had tucked them away somewhere in order to avoid getting shot with them again.

Lizard, it's commonly accepted that cats can teleport so they probably took the waterguns with them when they did so and left them wherever they felt like.

BTW, here in the US, we offer a WHOLE penny for your thoughts, not just a half. ;)

tygerkat said:
"
BTW, here in the US, we offer a WHOLE penny for your thoughts, not just a half. ;)

Yes, and our language here is impoverished by the lack of quality names for our coins, don't ya think?

Thruppence and sixpence every day
Just to drive to my baby
Thruppence and sixpence each day
’cause I drive my baby every way

Magic bus, magic bus, magic bus ...

:D

lopaka said:
Yes, and our language here is impoverished by the lack of quality names for our coins, don't ya think?
We're making up for the lack of language with aesthetics -- i.e. the amount of different designs for each coin that we have.

How many versions of the quarter (or the nickel, for that matter) do we need anyway?

There's a new commemorative coin coming out all the time up here (only loonies, toonies and quarters though). Takes our mind off how little they're worth. :twisted:

wasnt a loonie a 2$ cion that used to fall in to bits? an inner and a outer bit

Julia Howes said:
As I was unpacking my stuff I noticed a half penny coin on the floor near the door of my wardrobe. I found this a bit odd as these coins had gone out of circulation years before, and the room had been cleaned for my arrival.
Was this a pre- or post-decimal halfpenny? The post decimal half-p only lasted a few years before it was phased out, but the old half d's must have been in circulation for ever. I have one - it has an Elizabethan galleon on the back - and I've just checked to see that it hasn't decided to go walk-about!

I'm not sure what relevence my query has - I just like to dot the t's and cross the i's!

Leaferne, I know what I loony is (I even have a couple) but what's a toony?

Julia Howes said:
As I was unpacking my stuff I noticed a half penny coin on the floor near the door of my wardrobe.

A few days later I came back from a lecture with one of my housemates. We walked into my room where I noticed my half penny back on the floor by the wardrobe door.

Unfortunately no other half pennies turned up in the house.

A couple of other odd occurances happened in that house but nothing significant. The oven door flew open and then slammed shut one day when we were all in the kitchen, yet nowhere near the oven.

Fortunate gifts that continue as long as you appreciate them and don't talk about them too much but which cease when you mock them or tell people about them are common in fairy folklore. In fact, I'd almost say staple.

And, when you offend the fairies, it is not at all uncommon for them to become violent, throw things about, leave mysterious messes, etc.

You're lucky you weren't whisked away to some magical dimension to be a slave!!!
:shock:

Fortunate gifts that continue as long as you appreciate them and don't talk about them too much but which cease when you mock them or tell people about them are common in fairy folklore. In fact, I'd almost say staple.

Anthony my mother told me that when I was 3 or 4. I'd wished for a doll's cradle on a horseshoe I'd found and when I returned home a neighbour had brought one over as her children were grown. I was thrilled and told everyone I had wished it, and placed my doll inside and played every day for about 3 days. On coming home from playing after that I couldn't find it and on asking, my mother said that you weren't supposed to talk about things gained from wishes or you lost them. I don't know if she believed it or not as it turned out she had accidentally broken it and thrown it away so I never saw it again.

On coming home from playing after that I couldn't find it and on asking, my mother said that you weren't supposed to talk about things gained from wishes or you lost them. I don't know if she believed it or not as it turned out she had accidentally broken it and thrown it away so I never saw it again.

Did you find out then that she'd broken it? Or was it one of those cases where she didn't confess until years later?

Last edited by a moderator:
She never actually told me. I had told my friend's mother, a neighbour, and she told me. On asking my mother she said again about it being my fault for talking about it. She and I never got on too well and this might have been her way of trying to keep me from talking too much, asking odd questions.

Being a Canadian, I will clarify here....

A loony is a one dollar coin. We used to have one dollar bills but they took them away and made a gold-colored coin instead. It has a loon ( a duck) on it, hence the name. It's a bit bigger than a quarter ( 25 cents).

A toony is a two dollar coin. We used to have two dollar bills but they took that from us two and gave us toonies instead. At one time, I think when they were first produced ( just a few years ago), the middle did pop out of the toonie on a few of them. It was not supposed to happen. I think they corrected that. I guess the name "toonie" just comes from the fact that it is equal to 2 loonies.

Oh yeah, about the original post ( sheesh I almost forgot)---I have read many times it is very common for spirits to leave coins laying around for you as a sign they are nearby and still with you.

After reading this thread a week or so ago, I walked into my study to find a $2 coin on the floor. so what. nothing much. then a couple of days later I was chatting to someone on my pc and for some reason turned around to get a book from my shelf whhich is behind my chair. When I turned back (like 5 seconds later, if that) there was another $2 coin ON MY KEYBOARD! like actually ON the keys, somewhere near H, U and J. How did this happen?

Now I am absolutely positive there is nothing strange at play here, I must have moved something and the coin fell there or something and I just didn't notice. And the earlier coin could have been there for any number of reasons. But the fact that this happened twice, (never before, I rarely have money in my study, I'm a poor student and tend to know what's in my wallet down to the last cent) and right after I read this thread makes it an amusing co-incidence at the very least!

I laughed anyway.

so has anyone said thank you to whoever/whatever is giving these gifts?

just asking out of couriosity

Yes, saying thankyou is an appropriate thing to do. Having yesterday found a fifty dollar note (while looking for a pencil!) I said thankyou three times. It was the least I can do.

Edit: The pencil turned up this morning, while feeding the cat...

:D

melf said:
so has anyone said thank you to whoever/whatever is giving these gifts?
I probably would: when playing a tetris-type computer game and making a move that completes one row I sometimes find that by sheer luck it also completes two others (or even initiates a cascade effect), and then I often say 'God is Good!'

Which is odd, because I'm an agnostic. But even if I were a believer, why would God bother helping me with a silly computer game?! :D

mystery time(x)

On a somewhat related topic... we had a visting artist (he was giving a workshop lecture to a local arts group) staying in our third floor guest room. He complained to me that he couldn't find his watch as he was packing up to leave. The watch was just an inexpensive timex but he really liked the style and it was a discontinued model. In the months following the room was used many times by kids playing and visitors and cleaned and swept often. I spoke to the artist once months later and he asked about the watch. I was feeling a little embarassed, afraid he thought I was keeping his watch. So I went into the room and demanded the watch back, saying "Ira wants his watch back and you are making me look like a jerk. Give it back!" Looked down at the floor and there it was in front of me. I was so relieved at getting the watch back I didn't think to be afraid. The house was an old one and very moody...I think it only accepted us because we put tons of work into it.

This is kind of interesting: Last week my boyfriend bought me a tarot card spell book...just for fun because he knows I am interested in that kind of thing. Flipping through it, I saw a spell for "wealth". I thought, Okay, that is the spell I will try.

I never did the spell because I need to buy a few "ingredients" first, but upon seeing the spell and reading through it, I had an overwhelming feeling that money would be coming to me. I just knew it somehow. Not a hopeful-oh-I-hope-I-win-the-lottery feeling...it was just something i knew.

In the last few days, I had several incidences of unexpected money coming my way, including yesterday when I put my hand in my coat pocket and found a 20 dollar bill.
I never put money in my pocket like that, especially a 20. ( it always goes in my purse)I have NO idea how it got there....I asked everyone in the house...no one put it there.

In total, in the last couple of days, I got 375 $ from unexpected sources!
I will update this, if the total goes higher. :)

dear red

When you read the spell through, you did the spell.

I've had this...

I consciously recall 3 examples like this... all oddly with the same change in denomination.

The least spectacular was when I was working in a charity shop I help out at. I'd checked how much I had before leaving the house and had a £5 note and some coins. Just before we shut up shop I re-checked before going to the cash machine and found a £10 note and some coins. I thought "Okay, fine." and smiled (as it had happened before).

Another time was after I'd been pondering at home how much money I needed to go out in the evening. I had a £5, a £10 and some coins in my pocket, and went to a local shop to buy tobacco and other bits. The total for these was £7-something so I paid with the £10 note - definitely receiving £2-something change. When I got back to the house I found £10 and some coins in my pocket, and was shocked. I decided not to rationalise away said free money too much.

The best example was when I was at another place I do voluntary work for and had been asked to go and pick up some computer related equipment, so I was deciding whether I had enough money in my pocket to pay for the items (rather than getting petty cash _before_ going). I was initially pretty uncertain so had kind of internally decided "I don't think I have enough". Two of the staff were there when I emptied my pockets to check, finding a £5 and some coins and one of the staff left the office to help some clients in the main room. As we discussed options for the parts needed we decided on a cheaper item, so my internal decision became a definite "I can afford that!". I re-checked my money just to be sure and now had a £10 and some coins, and laughed out loud at this. The member of staff who had witnessed the initial check came back into the office at this point so I showed him, at which point his eyes nearly popped out of their sockets, his jaw dropped and he uttered "But I *saw* . . . ". Hehe ;)

Stories like these, and those on the false memory thread, strengthen my suspicion that 'real' reality is far more complex than most of us think, and that we do (mostly) live in a much simplified 'consensus reality'.

In quantum physics, it's accepted that a 'particle' (whatever that is... discuss!) gets from A to B not by one simple route, but in some sense by all possible routes. (Google on Feynman, etc, for more on this.)

Perhaps something analogous also happens in the macro-world, but we mostly wear blinkers and choose to see only the direct A to B route. So we invent simplifying rules like conservation of energy, conservation of money, etc, to make the world easier to understand.

But sometimes, maybe at random, maybe not (the Cosmic Joker, perhaps?) we become aware of other aspects of reality - and these Fortean experiences are what this whole MB is about! :D

Yesterday I found a 20 dollar bill ( that I know I didn't have----all my money was in the bank) in the change/coin compartment of my purse!! I never ever put bills in there..only change.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Drat! I thought I'd posted a threadkiller (despite Glamarama's baffled comment!) but it seems the Cosmic Joker has forced me to prolong the active life of this thread:

A Man in a Pub tonight told me (knowing of my Fortean interests) that he was in his bathroom today when he heard a sound - it was a coin falling on the floor. As in all of these tales, there was nowhere it could have come from/been knocked off of, etc. It turned out to be an old 10p piece, so worn that the date was illegible.

And later that day, at work, the same man saw a piece of plastic fall to the floor in the office. At first he thought it had come from a colleague's pocket, but neither of them recognised it, or even knew what it was.

And probably totally unconnected, but a bomb was just discovered in the harbour here... (No online link found yet - could be one for Conspiracy!)

@rynner

I agree... I remember reading John Gribbin's "In Search Of Schrodinger's Cat" and being frankly stunned (re: Feynman diagrams) how apparently completely arbitrary such things as the 'direction' of 'time' are.

I was also amazed at the mass of virtual 'particles', virtual 'interactions' and vacuum fluctuations that can simply spring into being as long as they unspring into unbeing again "before the universe notices" :eek:

As if our 'reality' resides within the ticks of a clock or slots of a cog, in-between which a netherworld exists where anything can and does manifest and unmanifest.

Back