• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I have lost my fork.

I have a favourite fork (I admit it!) which lives in the drainer on the side because I eat with it, wash it up and then take it out to eat with again. I had dinner last night (scampi and salad if anyone is interested) and, as usual, I carried the plate out to the kitchen and put it down for the dog to eat the scraps before washing it up. Usually I put the fork straight into the washing up bowl when I do this. But it's not there. Neither is it anywhere in the living room where I ate dinner (although I did find a mystery teaspoon when I looked for it) or anywhere else! I don't remember it being on the plate when I carried it out, but it's one of those things you do automatically, fork into sink, plate down for dog, so I wouldn't necessarily remember it being there. I should remember it not being there though.

But I can't find it. And it's my favourite! How am I supposed to enjoy my dinner tonight, if I have to eat off my second-favourite fork?
My experience of carrying a plate with cutlery on it is that the cutlery will slide off - every time.
Hit the carpet and rolled under the sofa. ?

I carried the plate out to the kitchen and put it down for the dog to eat the scraps before washing it up.
X-ray the dog? It has been known to happen.

dogsxrayfork.jpg

I have lost my fork.

I have a favourite fork (I admit it!) which lives in the drainer on the side because I eat with it, wash it up and then take it out to eat with again. I had dinner last night (scampi and salad if anyone is interested) and, as usual, I carried the plate out to the kitchen and put it down for the dog to eat the scraps before washing it up. Usually I put the fork straight into the washing up bowl when I do this. But it's not there. Neither is it anywhere in the living room where I ate dinner (although I did find a mystery teaspoon when I looked for it) or anywhere else! I don't remember it being on the plate when I carried it out, but it's one of those things you do automatically, fork into sink, plate down for dog, so I wouldn't necessarily remember it being there. I should remember it not being there though.

But I can't find it. And it's my favourite! How am I supposed to enjoy my dinner tonight, if I have to eat off my second-favourite fork?
It's now in the 'missing fork' dimension, but they gave you a dodgy spoon in compensation.
Thank the house fairies for the spoon and then ask if they would kindly return the fork.
You'll find it in a random location somewhere... perhaps on a park bench 2 miles away.

X-ray the dog? It has been known to happen.

View attachment 76050
I see your thinking - but I bet this would be a Labrador. I am cursed with a Patterdale who won't even eat cheese offered to her by hand. (She's basically very very very picky and would no more eat a fork than....than I would).

I've just had another look for Favourite Fork. I have tiled floors so if it had dropped anywhere I should have been able to hear it - but I didn't. Have had a good pat-down around the sofa (which is on a rug) and found nothing but the Mysterious Spoon. It must be here SOMEWHERE...

I've just had another look for Favourite Fork. I have tiled floors so if it had dropped anywhere I should have been able to hear it - but I didn't. Have had a good pat-down around the sofa (which is on a rug) and found nothing but the Mysterious Spoon. It must be here SOMEWHERE...
Heh, heh. You'd  think so...

it's one of those things you do automatically, fork into sink, plate down for dog,

Has dog suddenly begun eating very politely, with a fork? If so- mystery solved.

Weirdly, this chimes with me because I have a *most hated fork*. I won't use it, and it sits in the fork bit of the drawer, unloved and never to touch food. My wife also doesn't use it.

Yesterday, I noticed it had gone. Wife assures me she did not throw it out or use it/ leave it anywhere.

It's a forking conspiracy!

This early morning while sleeping, but not asleep at these times, I heard chimes three separate times.

I don’t remember if I‘ve mentioned that I have heard chimes that wake me when sleeping. I have no alarm on and neither my radio alarm nor my phone nor iPad have chimes set for anything. I also usually don’t have my phone in my bedroom.

I waken many times in the night and this is not unusual. Before when I heard them, they would wake me. I was ever sure if the chimes were in my head.

This morning, before daylight, I heard tinkling chimes only briefly and at three separate times. This time I was just briefly awake and then heard them. I know this because by the third time I noted whether I was awake before.

I wear earplugs to bed. I can still hear things, but loud noises (usually my cats jumping off something) don’t startle and wake me. I lie on my side when sleeping most of the time. The third time I heard them, I did find that the chimes were heard in my uncovered ear, not in my head.

This early morning while sleeping, but not asleep at these times, I heard chimes three separate times.

I don’t remember if I‘ve mentioned that I have heard chimes that wake me when sleeping. I have no alarm on and neither my radio alarm nor my phone nor iPad have chimes set for anything. I also usually don’t have my phone in my bedroom.

I waken many times in the night and this is not unusual. Before when I heard them, they would wake me. I was ever sure if the chimes were in my head.

This morning, before daylight, I heard tinkling chimes only briefly and at three separate times. This time I was just briefly awake and then heard them. I know this because by the third time I noted whether I was awake before.

I wear earplugs to bed. I can still hear things, but loud noises (usually my cats jumping off something) don’t startle and wake me. I lie on my side when sleeping most of the time. The third time I heard them, I did find that the chimes were heard in my uncovered ear, not in my head.
Any neighbours who might have this as their alarm/ringtone?

Alarms carry a surprisingly long way. I set an alarm to wake me the other morning, but I'd got up before it went off and was at the other side of the house when I heard a weird 'beebling' noise. It was only when I went back upstairs with my cup of tea that I realised it was my phone alarm going off - it sounded very different from a staircase and several rooms away.

Alarms carry a surprisingly long way. I set an alarm to wake me the other morning, but I'd got up before it went off and was at the other side of the house when I heard a weird 'beebling' noise. It was only when I went back upstairs with my cup of tea that I realised it was my phone alarm going off - it sounded very different from a staircase and several rooms away.
Or indeed a wind chime?

Check pockets of all clothing.

Check laundry basket.

Check interior of car.

Check route from front door to car.

maximus otter

I have lost my fork.

Scampi and salad - you live a life of sheer luxury you do C.

As far as the missing fork is concerned, surely it's blatantly obvious what's happened. Have you interrogated the cupboard tenants - a pair of ne'er do wells, bluffing you with red herring posts.

Check pockets of all clothing.

Check laundry basket.

Check interior of car.

Check route from front door to car.

maximus otter
LAUNDRY BASKET???? What type of person do you think I AM? It's like you don't know me at all!

Scampi and salad - you live a life of sheer luxury you do C.

As far as the missing fork is concerned, surely it's blatantly obvious what's happened. Have you interrogated the cupboard tenants - a pair of ne'er do wells, bluffing you with red herring posts.
I am beginning to side-eye the Cupboard People. But they aren't allowed sharp things, and plastic should be good enough for them.

giphy.gif

maximus otter
I didn't mean I don't wash my clothes! Just that I don't own a laundry basket - dirty washing goes straight into the machine!
Any wellies/footwear nearby?
The wellies are in the Kallax unit, out of Random Forking Range.

Am going to move all the furniture later on, to see if the fork has somehow got underneath something. Crawling around randomly patting the floor hasn't revealed it so far.

Or indeed a wind chime?
Neither, to my mind. The chimes don’t sound more than a few seconds, just briefly enough to wake me. It has, up until yesterday, only happened when I am asleep in the night time hours. I live in a detached home and so have never heard any neighbouring alarms (other than the ubiquitous car alarm). No one in the area has wind chimes.

It can still be just in my head, but is weird because it happened three times yesterday and I was either just waking, or lightly asleep. And this time, I only heard it in one ear.

I didn't mean I don't wash my clothes! Just that I don't own a laundry basket - dirty washing goes straight into the machine!

Am going to move all the furniture later on, to see if the fork has somehow got underneath something. Crawling around randomly patting the floor hasn't revealed it so far.
Have you checked the washing machine? The Missing Fork knows you would never look there for it.

Have you checked the cutlery drawer ... again? I mean, pulled out the tray, sorted through the remaining cutlery?
When this has happened to me, I've done so and taken the opportunity to clean it. Often, I've found items that I'd forgotten I had.

It's down t'sofa. You'll find it sticking in your bum. :nods:

It can't be. The sofa has a full throw on so that nothing can get down under the cushions, and I've checked the throw, it's not there... It's really annoying me now.
This a fork though, not some random item of metalware. It's a living breathing creature. :nods:
Also, as it's your Favourite Fork you may have been eating with it away from the normal dining area.

Back