• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

This a fork though, not some random item of metalware. It's a living breathing creature. :nods:
Also, as it's your Favourite Fork you may have been eating with it away from the normal dining area.
World's tiniest house. Normal dining area is the entire living room...

I am determined to get to the bottom of this, I have been using my second-best fork for two days now and food is Not The Same.

I have a favourite fork, knife (perfect spreader) and teaspoon (I'm not particularly bothered about dessert spoon for some unknown reason) I feel your pain.
I also have favourite teaspoons. I don't use dessert spoons very often and have no known knife preferences. I never thought of this as particularly weird until I had people round to eat and had to say 'not that fork! That's MY fork!' and then explain why....

A different Minor Strangeness (and no, the fork still hasn't turned up).

Flicking through one of the Interiors magazines I am so addicted to, whilst making a cup of tea this morning. One of those where they show the family and all the things they've done to the house - this was a young couple and their small baby. I took one look at the picture and had the strongest impression, just as a one-off feeling 'he's cheating on her'.

I suppose that the man must remind me of someone I've met who's untrustworthy or being unfaithful and that's why I thought of it, and obviously I will never know. But it was such a strong feeling!

A different Minor Strangeness (and no, the fork still hasn't turned up).

Flicking through one of the Interiors magazines I am so addicted to, whilst making a cup of tea this morning. One of those where they show the family and all the things they've done to the house - this was a young couple and their small baby. I took one look at the picture and had the strongest impression, just as a one-off feeling 'he's cheating on her'.

I suppose that the man must remind me of someone I've met who's untrustworthy or being unfaithful and that's why I thought of it, and obviously I will never know. But it was such a strong feeling!
She's probably driven him mad banging on about getting the house done up.

I too have favourite cutlery and get very miffed if anyone else uses them! I'm glad to know I'm not the only fussy git discerning individual! I hope your fork turns up soon @catseye. I hope the following will encourage you.

Something I've been looking for for ages and ages has turned up!! It's my bus pass and as I don't have a passport or a drivers license I really need it to vote, sigh what a pain in the proverbial!!! The council had been automatically renewing it but I couldn't remember one arriving recently. In fact I was surprised to find that the one in my purse had expired and if a new one had arrived I'd have exchanged it.

I thought perhaps they'd decided not to send me one as I've not been on a bus for a while. I was stealing myself to get in touch with the council and meantime had looked everywhere. I really didn't want the bother of getting a photo done. (A traumatic experience almost as bad as going to the dentist! I mean I know I'm still me but the face in the mirror is a total lie it's like living in the body of an imposter. For the brief time I can bear to look at it I can acknowledge that I still look like the photo on my bus pass so it was ideal to go with that.)

Anyway it's turned up yippee dooo! Thank goodness for that.

In the place I looked in the bloody first place all those weeks ago .... thoroughly I might add, really really thoroughly ... as thoroughly as a thorough thing being thorough, thoroughly. ie in the pile of my current cards (other than the bank cards). I can only think that it magically materialised when the pixies knew I'd been tested enough!

It's down t'sofa. You'll find it sticking in your bum. :nods:
I have a favourite fork, knife (perfect spreader) and teaspoon (I'm not particularly bothered about dessert spoon for some unknown reason) I feel your pain.
That settles it. Catseye's Favorite Fork is sticking in Pandacracker's bum.

She's probably driven him mad banging on about getting the house done up.
I get the impression from the very occasional, and very short, forays into watching these programmes that the driving force is the wife, with bloke saying little/ staying out of the picture. Could be a wrong impression of course.

I really didn't want the bother of getting a photo done. (A traumatic experience almost as bad as going to the dentist! I mean I know I'm still me but the face in the mirror is a total lie it's like living in the body of an imposter. For the brief time I can bear to look at it I can acknowledge that I still look like the photo on my bus pass so it was ideal to go with that.)
Finally got mine done the other week. Not in one of those booths though, but at the photography place.
Much better.

I do however, look like I should be locked up immediately.

I went to a friend's husband's funeral today.
It was in a closed chapel but every now and again I felt puffs of cold air against my face.
Noone around me seemed to react at all.
When I went outside later it was warmer than it had been inside although when we went in a cold wind had been blowing.
The celebrant even said what a cold day it was when he started the ceremony.
I hadn't had a lot to do with him and had thought that the incident with the watch might have been my friend sending a mental message but she was locked in grief today and she and his surviving brother breaking down in tears a couple of times.

I too have favourite cutlery and get very miffed if anyone else uses them! I'm glad to know I'm not the only fussy git discerning individual! I hope your fork turns up soon @catseye. I hope the following will encourage you.

Something I've been looking for for ages and ages has turned up!! It's my bus pass and as I don't have a passport or a drivers license I really need it to vote, sigh what a pain in the proverbial!!! The council had been automatically renewing it but I couldn't remember one arriving recently. In fact I was surprised to find that the one in my purse had expired and if a new one had arrived I'd have exchanged it.

I thought perhaps they'd decided not to send me one as I've not been on a bus for a while. I was stealing myself to get in touch with the council and meantime had looked everywhere. I really didn't want the bother of getting a photo done. (A traumatic experience almost as bad as going to the dentist! I mean I know I'm still me but the face in the mirror is a total lie it's like living in the body of an imposter. For the brief time I can bear to look at it I can acknowledge that I still look like the photo on my bus pass so it was ideal to go with that.)

Anyway it's turned up yippee dooo! Thank goodness for that.

In the place I looked in the bloody first place all those weeks ago .... thoroughly I might add, really really thoroughly ... as thoroughly as a thorough thing being thorough, thoroughly. ie in the pile of my current cards (other than the bank cards). I can only think that it magically materialised when the pixies knew I'd been tested enough!
I've just had to have my photo done for my driving licence (I'm finally getting a picture one - hooray! I've had to update some details so I need a new one and I still had an old paper one). Good grief. I didn't think the picture was TOO grim, until I had to get my passport out to put the number in on the application. My passport picture is nearly ten years old, my passport runs out next year.

I have changed a LOT in ten years. Without realising. Ten years ago I merely looked like a serial killer. Now I look like a MALE serial killer who has had a really hard life. I'm female.

Ask nicely. Leave the room for 5 minutes (maybe not necessary, but can't hurt). If item is returned, say thank you! The one time it worked for me, it was so blatantly impossible that there was a further stage: scarper.
Well, it took them a month to give it back;

About two months ago, (maybe longer) the small plastic ball that I use to put laundry detergent in went missing (this is one of the items I mentioned having lost).

I'd been using it for years.

Every time I finish a wash, I get the ball and put it back in the cupboard.
Sometimes it has gone into a duvet cover, or even the arm of a jumper/fleece, but I always find it after every wash.

Then it vanished. Until now.
Did a wash- nothing large- pulled the washing out and into the washing basket and went outside to hang it up.

It came flying out of the basket.

Everything that was in that wash had been worn/used up until a day or two before.
No duvet covers/pillow cases or anything of that ilk were in the wash.

The biggest item was a long sleeved t-shirt of mine that I had put in the laudry basket the day before.

The only thing I can think of is that it had been stuck in the drum all this time ( though I've done at least 25-30 washes since I last saw it), but I checked the drum and can't see anywhere that it could have been lodged anyway.

Okay, if we can tear ourselves away from boobs for a moment...

I had a weird thing happen last night. Well, not weird, just odd. And no boobs were involved.

I was walking the dog at about five o clock, so not quite completely dark. We headed out of the village down the hill and ahead of us in the middle of the road was a white cat, crouching down. Dog went mad, trying to chase the cat, but she was on the lead so we sort of plunged our way down towards the cat (about thirty feet ahead of us). I was trying to work out whose cat it could be, there are no pure white cats in the village. Then the cat ran to the hedge at the side of the road, then back into the road, across to the other side, and rose into the air. It went up about four or five feet, then back down to settle in the road again.

It was a plastic bag. A very flimsy one, so when a breeze caught it it moved across the road. But it moved exactly like a cat seeing a dog approach, sort of low and slinking, with a pause to check how close the dog was. It was SO like a cat that I couldn't quite believe it was just a bag until we got right on top of it and I could see it. Even the dog - who must have a sense of smell, despite being an utter idiot - thought it was a cat. I assume that expectation (I really did think it was a cat) made it seem to move in a more catlike way than it actually did, and my brain did the rest. But the dog saw what I saw....
Reminds me of this old post of mine -

Another night as I drove home I saw a black cat sitting in the middle of the road. I slowed right down to let it move in case it was hurt or whatever and as I drew near, I noticed that it was in fact an empty crumpled bin bag. I drove on.

A few seconds later, round the bend in the road, there was indeed a black cat sitting there, which I might have hit or had to swerve around if I'd been doing normal speed. I again slowed down and it ran off.

Well, it took them a month to give it back;

About two months ago, (maybe longer) the small plastic ball that I use to put laundry detergent in went missing (this is one of the items I mentioned having lost).

I'd been using it for years.

Every time I finish a wash, I get the ball and put it back in the cupboard.
Sometimes it has gone into a duvet cover, or even the arm of a jumper/fleece, but I always find it after every wash.

Then it vanished. Until now.
Did a wash- nothing large- pulled the washing out and into the washing basket and went outside to hang it up.

It came flying out of the basket.

Everything that was in that wash had been worn/used up until a day or two before.
No duvet covers/pillow cases or anything of that ilk were in the wash.

The biggest item was a long sleeved t-shirt of mine that I had put in the laudry basket the day before.

The only thing I can think of is that it had been stuck in the drum all this time ( though I've done at least 25-30 washes since I last saw it), but I checked the drum and can't see anywhere that it could have been lodged anyway.
Might it have been stuck at the back of the drum? That's where I reckon all my odd socks go, somehow they get forced between the seal and the drum. If you took the pipes off my washing machine, I think it would be sock soup in there.

Could be a wrong impression of course.
From what I've seen on the telly it's fifty/fifty, but what I'm feeling miffed about is why did I never manage to get an obedient man?

Actually joking apart, I can remember friends whose husbands were forever doing DIY at the week-end and it used to drive them crazy!!! Meantime the rest of us were pig sick jealous as our hubands did bugger all. I think it's 'grass is greener on the other side' syndrome

Actually joking apart, I can remember friends whose husbands were forever doing DIY at the week-end and it used to drive them crazy!!! Meantime the rest of us were pig sick jealous as our hubands did bugger all. I think it's 'grass is greener on the other side' syndrome
I used to have to do diy in the past (otherwise the house would've fallen down) but I try and avoid it if at all possible now.
There's enough to do with just the basic day to day stuff and maintaining things, let alone anything more.

Last night at the bottom of my stairs I felt myself tread on something sharp, I tip-toed upstairs to where the light was on but could not see anything sticking out of my sock but it did hurt a bit.

This morning at the bottom of my stairs I noticed a dead wasp on the floor.

The 'favourite fork' mystery deepens.

Because it's nice today I'm washing EVERYTHING, including all the sofa throws. I've also taken up the rugs to put into the garden to air.

I half expected the vanished fork to turn up under the coffee table or stuck somewhere in the rug or in the sofa throw. After all, it can't have vanished, can it? Reader, I have stripped out the living room. The fork is nowhere to be seen. I've moved the sofa, taken off the throw and washed it, taken up the rug and put it outside, removed the coffee table (and its cover) - and nothing. I am forkless!

Where the hell has it gone?

Because it's nice today I'm washing EVERYTHING, including all the sofa throws. I've also taken up the rugs to put into the garden to air.

I half expected the vanished fork to turn up under the coffee table or stuck somewhere in the rug or in the sofa throw. After all, it can't have vanished, can it? Reader, I have stripped out the living room. The fork is nowhere to be seen. I've moved the sofa, taken off the throw and washed it, taken up the rug and put it outside, removed the coffee table (and its cover) - and nothing. I am forkless!

Does the throw cover the entire sofa? If not -down the back of the sofa cushions. Might as well check, unlikely as it is.

You have checked the cutlery drawer I take it?

I have lost my fork.

I have a favourite fork (I admit it!) which lives in the drainer on the side because I eat with it, wash it up and then take it out to eat with again. I had dinner last night (scampi and salad if anyone is interested) and, as usual, I carried the plate out to the kitchen and put it down for the dog to eat the scraps before washing it up. Usually I put the fork straight into the washing up bowl when I do this. But it's not there. Neither is it anywhere in the living room where I ate dinner (although I did find a mystery teaspoon when I looked for it) or anywhere else! I don't remember it being on the plate when I carried it out, but it's one of those things you do automatically, fork into sink, plate down for dog, so I wouldn't necessarily remember it being there. I should remember it not being there though.

But I can't find it. And it's my favourite! How am I supposed to enjoy my dinner tonight, if I have to eat off my second-favourite fork?
When I bought my flat in Maidenehad in 1998 I bought some Argos cutlery. Knives, forks, desert spoons and teaspoons (8 each), they hung down from the holder.

When I sold the flat in 2003 I only had about half of them left.

The reality is they do get accidentally thrown away over time.

It's gone in the bin.
Good guess, but no. Plate goes down for the dog to lick, leftovers aren't thrown away, they are ingested. So fork would never be near the bin.
Does the throw cover the entire sofa? If not -down the back of the sofa cushions. Might as well check, unlikely as it is.
Yep, the throw goes right over the entire sofa and down onto the floor. Which was why I didn't think fork could have got underneath, but moved it anyway. Nothing can get under the throw (which is the point of having it, dog would otherwise bury...undesirable things under the sofa cushions.
You have checked the cutlery drawer I take it?
I have checked, but the fork, being a favourite, doesn't live in the cutlery cupboard (I don't have a drawer). It lives on the drainer. Gets washed, sits in the drainer from where it emerges to be my favourite for the next meal.
When I bought my flat in Maidenehad in 1998 I bought some Argos cutlery. Knives, forks, desert spoons and teaspoons (8 each), they hung down from the holder.

When I sold the flat in 2003 I only had about half of them left.

The reality is they do get accidentally thrown away over time.
Teaspoons do. Forks - not in this house. I don't have enough cutlery to play fast and loose with.

Good guess, but no. Plate goes down for the dog to lick, leftovers aren't thrown away, they are ingested. So fork would never be near the bin.

Yep, the throw goes right over the entire sofa and down onto the floor. Which was why I didn't think fork could have got underneath, but moved it anyway. Nothing can get under the throw (which is the point of having it, dog would otherwise bury...undesirable things under the sofa cushions.

I have checked, but the fork, being a favourite, doesn't live in the cutlery cupboard (I don't have a drawer). It lives on the drainer. Gets washed, sits in the drainer from where it emerges to be my favourite for the next meal.

Teaspoons do. Forks - not in this house. I don't have enough cutlery to play fast and loose with.
I've got to ask- are you sure your daughter didn't do the washing up again?

Back