• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

They certainly are a real thing. St Frideswide's is the one in the Alice books. Not that that makes it real...

Treacle is a medieval word for something beneficial, or pure, or sweet. So a treacle well in old documents is a well reputed to have healing properties. Treacle mines I don't know about :rollingw:

Auditor stated he was very impressed both with the actual construction site and all the back up documentation. No minor NCR’s, nothing. Don’t suppose it will get me any closer to a bonus. Where I work bonuses fall in the same category as ghosts, UAP’s and Bigfoot. I’ll believe in one when I see it.
Cake?

image-asset-2.jpeg

Is a treacle well a real thing? There's a thread here about treacle mines but I didn't read it because I thought it'd only be something to do with Ken Dodd or somethin'.
Having grown up in that part of the world, I can confirm all of Frideswide's allegations. The treacle well is in the churchyard at Binsey, which is a mysterious and powerfully atmospheric place. My middle school was also named after her (the saint, not the board member).

Yey! Hello @Frideswide!

And a Bakewell tart and a Bakewell pudding are two different things. I don't mind Bakewell pudding (had a cracking one in Bakewell, surprisingly). Bakewell tarts, nope.
I had a Bakewell pudding from a bakery in Bakewell. It was scrummy. They certainly bake well in Bakewell. But I do like the things that are sold as 'Bakewell tarts' as well. There's room enough for both in this world.

Mmmmm .... having a craving here now.

Having grown up in that part of the world, I can confirm all of Frideswide's allegations. The treacle well is in the churchyard at Binsey, which is a mysterious and powerfully atmospheric place. My middle school was also named after her (the saint, not the board member).
Really? My high school was named after the Board Member....

Strange but true:
When we were in business, one of our original dog products was the Cherry Barkwell. We automatically trade marked the name - we still own this trade mark.
We used to go to an annual fuin dog show in the town - it's a lovely place. One time though, three snotty-types rolled up, examined the labels and announced that they were from the Town Council and were ensuring we were not using their 'towns unique product name'.
"On the contrary, the name Cherry Barkwell is our trade mark. If any Bakewell firm tries selling them, we can take them to court."

Strange but true:
When we were in business, one of our original dog products was the Cherry Barkwell. We automatically trade marked the name - we still own this trade mark.
We used to go to an annual fuin dog show in the town - it's a lovely place. One time though, three snotty-types rolled up, examined the labels and announced that they were from the Town Council and were ensuring we were not using their 'towns unique product name'.
"On the contrary, the name Cherry Barkwell is our trade mark. If any Bakewell firm tries selling them, we can take them to court."
I recently recommended that very product to a poster.

Back