• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
To me a hassock is a clump of long grass in a field.
That's a tussock. :)
A hassock is either a cushion for kneeling on in church, or a firm clump of matted vegetation in boggy ground. (Vegetation forming a cushion?)
A tummock is a hillock (!) or mound.
A cassock is a full length garment worn by a clergyman or member of the choir.

A Cossack is a horseman from Ukraine or southern Russia.
A hammock is a suspended bed.
A haddock is a type of fish.
A dunnock is a hedge sparrow.
I was going to write more, but then I thought boll...

That's a tussock. :)
A hassock is either a cushion for kneeling on in church, or a firm clump of matted vegetation in boggy ground. (Vegetation forming a cushion?)
A tummock is a hillock (!) or mound.
A cassock is a full length garment worn by a clergyman or member of the choir.

A Cossack is a horseman from Ukraine or southern Russia.
A hammock is a suspended bed.
A haddock is a type of fish.
A dunnock is a hedge sparrow.
I was going to write more, but then I thought boll...
There are also billhook and rowlock, with which words I used to lace the Limerickss thread. :wink2:
A pollock is a type of fish.
A pillock is a stupid person. See also wazzock.
A bannock is a Scottish bread cake.
etc

Maybe it is time I reconsidered my scepticism. Two friends of mine who are avid followers of the Belgian Industrial band Front 242 booked into a hotel by Gatwick airport to get ready to fly out on holiday. And they found themselves booked into room 242 ! I trust them well enough to accept that they had no prior input into selecting the room number allocated to them. I mean the chances of this being a pure random coincidence must be minimal.
Also I was thinking about my visit to 'The Sorcerer's Apprentice' bookshop in Leeds around 1990 sort of time. I then switched on Radio 3 and found myself listening to 'The Sorcerer's Apprentice' symphonic poem by Paul Dukas, most known for being included in Disney's 'Fantasia' . And if that's not spooky enough, Mickey Mouse plays the Sorcerer's Apprentice in 'Fantasia' . Last time I went to my favourite secondhand CD shop I got my purchases handed to me in a plastic bag with Mickey Mouse on it.

When looking for the Guardian article I mentioned, this 2013 one popped up -
Italian football fans stand up for their right to be abused by rivals

This is extreme banter. :chuckle:
More extreme footy banter -

Last week Roma ultras displayed a banner containing an X-rated message directed at the late Queen Elizabeth II so in Brighton’s home fixture the fans responded with their own banner saying 'Totti adores pineapple on pizza'
1f923.png

Attachments

• Roma Ultras.jpeg
    Roma Ultras.jpeg
    258.2 KB · Views: 32
Another weird coincidence . Earlier today, I was doing my usual Saturday morning chores. For some strange reason I thought back to when I first got a new computer with an internet connection in 1998. I was doing a history course at the time, and was looking at the statues of the Black Madonna. I typed in 'Black Virgin...' into the search engine and the sites that appeared were rather startling. Though I counted myself as a man of the world, I was left blushing. I have moved on since, and prefer not to dwell on the incident.
Later I went to the local market, found the book stall and the first item that caught my eye .........'The Cult of the Black Virgin' by Ean Begg. A shiver went up and down my spine I can tell you.

Only yesterday I was complaining to my wife about yet another cheap plastic bag fastener clip breaking. This type:

s-l400.jpg

I proudly showed her one that I'd received - twenty? - years ago, free with Taylors of Harrogate coffee: "Why can't they all be as good as this one, eh?"

I opened the fridge this morning to retrieve my coffee pouches. You guessed it: It had snapped overnight.

maximus otter

Only yesterday I was complaining to my wife about yet another cheap plastic bag fastener clip breaking. This type:

s-l400.jpg

I proudly showed her one that I'd received - twenty? - years ago, free with Taylors of Harrogate coffee: "Why can't they all be as good as this one, eh?"

I opened the fridge this morning to retrieve my coffee pouches. You guessed it: It had snapped overnight.

maximus otter
That is because you jinxed it. I rarely speak to tell people how old several of my appliances are. I never say that everything is going well. That's just pushing your luck.:nods:

Last night I watched the 2003 documentary film, Easy Riders, Raging Bulls, about the "New Hollywood" which flourished briefly in the seventies. Towards the end, Richard Dreyfuss turns up to give some spiky observations about Jaws, which more or less marked the end of the movement, along with Star Wars.

So, I am wondering if Dreyfuss is still alive and kicking but I went to bed without looking it up.

This morning, he's on the front page of the Guardian, for having turned up at some movie-house, for a screening of Jaws, wearing a dress, while setting the cat among the pigeons by making trans-phobic comments!

Question answered, in no uncertain terms! :rofl:

Last edited:

s-l400.jpg

maximus otter
I relocated some of the tiny bulldog clips from the stationary cupboard at work to the kitchen at home. The are great at keeping open bags sealed when you roll them up.

They also work well with bags of peas and chips in the freezer.

Back