• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
When my mates daughter was around 8 years old she used to sing this a lot. We obviously didnt tell her the meaning of the lyric 'and I give the dog a bone'. :hahazebs::hahazebs:
Awww, I bet she thought it was about a really kind man who always carried treats in his pocket so he could make friends with animals.

Heh. Working in my study in the evenings, while t'missus re-watches all the X-File series.
Two nights on the trot, I've left my studies to make dinner ... just as when Scully unbuttons her blouse to reveal a glimpse of her bra!
Different episodes and I've had no way of knowing when to walk through. :D

A friend of mine passed away recently. Ever since then, I see their name - not at all a commonplace one - literally every day. I'm really puzzled by this: if these constitute 'messages' then they're pointless, as I'm hardly going to forget them. At first, this was very painful to me; now, it's mysterious - it's getting to the point at which several coincidences of this kind align, regularly.

Re: post above ~

I appreciate that mine is not an uncommon experience, in the wake of bereavement; it's just that I can't understand why it's happening, because (possible) 'messages', 'reminders', 'warnings' etc don't apply here.
I think that at these times, our brains (and emotions) are just trying to work through grief. It's not a bad thing, it just means that the person was important to you.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Thank you. :) I will get to enjoy it, in time.
I sometimes notice clusters of mentions of a certain late beloved person's name. After the fourth or fifth mention over a couple of days I'll smile and say OK my darling, I haven't forgotten you! :wink2:

I'm just a girl. What do I know about the mysteries of eternity? :dunno:
I know about love though. :nods:

I was telling some colleagues today about a beautiful Long-Tailed Duck I had seen a few days ago and how most people never saw them as there were normally out at sea. They are one of the most beautiful birds you can get and a treat to see. Then when I went to the cafe to supplement my lunch a bit I heard a man telling another that there was a long-tailed duck in the loch just outside. And so there was. I happily watched him through the fog until lunch was over. :)

Almost a coincidence—while doing billing work this week one entry was for someone whose last name was almost Smeagol aka Gollum of The Lord of the Rings (real customer's name withheld to respect privacy, but this obviously looks like I'm making it up). Later during the same billing session I came across someone whose address was on Tolkien Rd.

On Tuesday afternoon I listened to two or three installments of "Lost in the Pond", the YouTube series that looks at differences between the U.S. and Britain. One concerned the host's favorite words of American origin. He mentioned "doohickey", which he explained was unrelated to "hickey" meaning a love bite, and "lollapalooza", pointing out the festival of that name was inspired by use of the word in a Three Stooges film.

That night's episode of Jeopardy featured a question about the word "hickey" - and a Celebrity Jeopardy later that evening had a question concerning Lollapalooza being inspired by the Three Stooges.

Last edited:
On Tuesday afternoon I listened to two or three installments of "Lost in the Pond", the YouTube series that looks at differences between the U.S. and Britain. One concerned the host's favorite words of American origin. He mentioned "doohickey", which he explained was unrelated to "hickey" meaning a love bite, and "lollapalooza", pointing out the festival of that name was inspired by use of the word in a Three Stooges film.

That night's episode of Jeopardy featured a question about the word "hickey" - and a Celebrity Jeopardy later that evening had a question concerning Lollapalooza being inspired by the Three Stooges.
Doohickey is American? I thought it would be everyone who uses it. I'm always looking for the thingamajig that goes with the doohickey.

Doohickey is American? I thought it would be everyone who uses it. I'm always looking for the thingamajig that goes with the doohickey.

We know what you might be thinking. It's easy to see how doohickey would be linked to doodad, another word often used for when you can't remember what something is called, but how exactly did hickeys get involved in this? Well, first off, if you're thinking about those bruise-like marks teenagers often wear like a kissing badge of honor, get your mind out of the gutter. Back before it was associated with necking, hickey was an American English word used when referring to "any small gadget".

So who came up with the word doohickey? That'd be the Navy -- and while we can't confirm it was a Southerner in the Navy who said it first, we'd like to think it was.

In fact "doohickey" was already in use by Navy sailors long before it was first documented, which was, according to Today I Found Out's website, in 1914 when it appeared in an edition of Our Navy magazine. The exact quote was, “we were compelled to christen articles beyond our ken with such names as ‘do-hickeys’, ‘gadgets’ and ‘gilguys’.” Later, a 1925 printing of "Soldier & Sailor Words" listed “doo hickey” as “an airman’s term for small, detachable fittings.”

https://www.southernthing.com/doohickey-origins-2659906644.html

We know what you might be thinking. It's easy to see how doohickey would be linked to doodad, another word often used for when you can't remember what something is called, but how exactly did hickeys get involved in this? Well, first off, if you're thinking about those bruise-like marks teenagers often wear like a kissing badge of honor, get your mind out of the gutter. Back before it was associated with necking, hickey was an American English word used when referring to "any small gadget".

So who came up with the word doohickey? That'd be the Navy -- and while we can't confirm it was a Southerner in the Navy who said it first, we'd like to think it was.

In fact "doohickey" was already in use by Navy sailors long before it was first documented, which was, according to Today I Found Out's website, in 1914 when it appeared in an edition of Our Navy magazine. The exact quote was, “we were compelled to christen articles beyond our ken with such names as ‘do-hickeys’, ‘gadgets’ and ‘gilguys’.” Later, a 1925 printing of "Soldier & Sailor Words" listed “doo hickey” as “an airman’s term for small, detachable fittings.”

Ah. . . we call those "thingy's!" :)

Ah. . . we call those "thingy's, or what-do-you-m'call-it's!" :)

Gizmo!
1705678512536.png

Yesterday I was doing the dishes and listening to a book on the Great Game when I had an intense feeling of "Putin will not live to see the Russian elections". It came from nowhere and it struck me like lightning. Very strange ....

And then the book continued and there was this part:

... But as the Russian surrender became inevitable, Tsar Nicholas, whose attack on Turkey had begun the war, sank deeper and deeper into despair. He finally died in the Winter Palace, from where he had personally commanded the Russian forces, on March 2, 1855. Officially the cause was said to be influenza, but many believed that he had taken poison rather than witness the defeat of his beloved army. ...

I don't place big significance on this. I also don't expect an explanation of what felt like a revelation. But I record it here, just in case :)

Back