• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Deaths

What an excellent novel. Then I read The Abominable and laughed.

exactly my trajectory! I've re-read Abominable a couple of times now though, it's grown on me!

The Chicago Tribune was not impressed:

'If there's a clunkier stylist at work in the Yeti fields, I don't want to read him. He's about as subtle as an avalanche.

Still, The Abominable would be diverting enough brain candy were it not that its Big Reveal is so ineptly absurd and implausible that I regret having spent a single second reading this novel that I could have devoted to watching my toenails grow.'

:D

:D

In fairness, maybe it's not Dan Brown's Simmons' fault - much of the material that reads like a ludicrous Boy's Own tale of derring-do comes pretty much direct from Mallory's life story(!)

Sixteen people killed by lightning in Bangladesh:

"On the day he thought he'd be celebrating his wedding, Mamun buried 16 of his relatives.

They had been killed by lightning on the way to the ceremony.

Dressed in their finest saris and suits, his family members boarded a boat to join Mamun, when a heavy storm struck. As the rain lashed down the boat pulled over and they took shelter under a tin shed on the riverbank, when they were hit.

Bangladesh, which is blighted by extreme weather and heavy storms, suffers an average of 300 deaths by lightning every year, according to the UN."

Man found dead inside plane engine at Salt Lake City airport

A 30-year-old man was found dead inside an airplane engine Monday night in Salt Lake City after he breached an emergency exit onto the airfield, said authorities.

Ninety-five passengers were on board the commercial aircraft at Salt Lake City International Airport when police and employees located the man, a spokesperson for Delta Airlines said. Police said officials performed lifesaving efforts after finding the man unconscious inside the engine’s removable metal covering, but he died on the scene.

The Salt Lake City Police Department identified the man as Kyler Efinger, a resident of Park City, Utah. Efinger was a ticketed passenger with a boarding pass to Denver.

The aircraft's engines were rotating, but whether they were fully running remains under investigation, police said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/rcna131904

maximus otter

Last edited:

Man found dead inside plane engine at Salt Lake City airport

A 30-year-old man was found dead inside an airplane engine Monday night in Salt Lake City after he breached an emergency exit onto the airfield, said authorities.

Ninety-five passengers were on board the commercial aircraft at Salt Lake City International Airport when police and employees located the man, a spokesperson for Delta Airlines said. Police said officials performed lifesaving efforts after finding the man unconscious inside the engine’s removable metal covering, but he died on the scene.

The Salt Lake City Police Department identified the man as Kyler Efinger, a resident of Park City, Utah. Efinger was a ticketed passenger with a boarding pass to Denver.

The aircraft's engines were rotating, but whether they were fully running remains under investigation, police said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/rcna131904

maximus otter
Wonder why he breached an emergency exit? Also interesting that he was treated with Naloxone.

Man falls to his death down 130ft hole he dug in kitchen 'convinced of buried gold

A man has died after falling down a 130ft hole he dug under his kitchen floor after dreaming there was gold buried beneath it.
Joao Pimenta da Silva, 71, plunged down the shaft he had excavated after he lost his balance while venturing down

Arnaldo da Silva told local media: "Joao had spent more than a year digging the hole and hired many people to do the excavating work. He began by paying 70 Brazilian Reais £11.30) a day when the hole was still shallow but the deeper he went the more the costs went up. He ended up paying around 495 Brazilian Reais (£80) to anyone who entered the hole and helped to remove earth. He had hit a large stone that appeared which was difficult to remove and there were rumours he had been talking about trying to get hold of dynamite."

Extraordinary photos of the hole, which was around 35 inches in diameter and went down the equivalent of around 12 floors, have been published in the Brazilian press.
1704716076161.png

1704716090191.png

The Rivington Ave I referred to is in Bispham, Blackpool. The Cafe is in Rivington, Bolton. By coincidence I lived near Rivington for 10 years til 1992. Went to a lot of bike and car events there but don't remember the cafe.
Edit a quick look at Streetview shows I must have passed by the building loads of times but it may not have been a cafe back then. It's adjacent to a chapel/graveyard so possibly a connection to whatever is going on in there? Good spot Paul I may investigate location when I'm thereabouts.

Last edited:

Three Kansas City Chiefs fans found frozen to death outside home of sleeping friend

Ricky Johnson, 38, Clayton McGeeney, 36, and David Harrington, 37, had gathered at a friend's house to watch the Kansas City Chiefs game against the Los Angeles Chargers on the night of January 7. They were discovered dead outside the property two days later.

Captain Jake Becchina of the Kansas City Police Department confirmed: "First and foremost, this case is 100% NOT being investigated as a homicide." He added: "There have not been any arrests [or] charges, and no one is in custody. There are no specific threats or concerns for the surrounding community at this time. The resident at the house was cooperative with detectives the day the deceased were discovered.”

The police don't know yet if drink or drugs were involved in the sad deaths of the men. Officer Becchina said that tests will tell us more in a few weeks.
1706014716717.png

Three Kansas City Chiefs fans found frozen to death outside home of sleeping friend

Ricky Johnson, 38, Clayton McGeeney, 36, and David Harrington, 37, had gathered at a friend's house to watch the Kansas City Chiefs game against the Los Angeles Chargers on the night of January 7. They were discovered dead outside the property two days later.

View attachment 73173
I would guess too much drink and cold weather. They were probably hanging outside and heavily intoxicated. Perhaps the home owner may have even locked the door on them, not realizing what he was doing, and passed out. They wouldn't recognize the danger if they were that intoxicated and also freezing.

They tried to kill that executee in Alabama already by lethal infection (couldn't raise a vein).
Isn't that enough to be halt a second attempt a la double jeopardy? Or are legal nitpickers messing with a mans life?

I would guess too much drink and cold weather. They were probably hanging outside and heavily intoxicated. Perhaps the home owner may have even locked the door on them, not realizing what he was doing, and passed out. They wouldn't recognize the danger if they were that intoxicated and also freezing.
Well the cold weather would account for them freezing to death!

It’s a weird one. Although it doesn’t say, I’m assuming they were in a car so one at least was capable of driving. I suppose they could’ve been extremely drunk or on drugs of some sort but having got there & it being bloody cold, wouldn’t they bang on their friend’s door to be let in?

Then I thought maybe they did but no answer so they retreated to the car & kept the engine running to keep warm & were overcome by exhaust fumes, but I can’t see how this could happen by accident unless the car was a bit fecked.

With no car it’s even weirder - they were discovered two days later. If no car, where?

I think we need a local report rather than the Mirror..

Well the cold weather would account for them freezing to death!

It’s a weird one. Although it doesn’t say, I’m assuming they were in a car so one at least was capable of driving. I suppose they could’ve been extremely drunk or on drugs of some sort but having got there & it being bloody cold, wouldn’t they bang on their friend’s door to be let in?

Then I thought maybe they did but no answer so they retreated to the car & kept the engine running to keep warm & were overcome by exhaust fumes, but I can’t see how this could happen by accident unless the car was a bit fecked.

With no car it’s even weirder - they were discovered two days later. If no car, where?

I think we need a local report rather than the Mirror..
They weren't in their cars, they were in the back yard, one if them on the back porch. Their cars were parked nearby. All very strange.

Guardian article

Mystery deepens over Kansas City men found dead in friend’s frozen backyard​

They tried to kill that executee in Alabama already by lethal infection (couldn't raise a vein).
Isn't that enough to be halt a second attempt a la double jeopardy? Or are legal nitpickers messing with a mans life?

“Double jeopardy” refers only to trying someone twice for the same offence. (Even that is now legal in the UK under certain circumstances.)

maximus otter

They weren't in their cars, they were in the back yard, one if them on the back porch. Their cars were parked nearby. All very strange.

Guardian article

Mystery deepens over Kansas City men found dead in friend’s frozen backyard​

It gets weirder - according to this they arrived in 2 cars, watched the game at the friend's as planned then left & died later in his back yard without getting back in the cars.

There was a fourth man who survived. No further details.

The four 'lingered in his home’ while he went to bed. Presumably they let themselves out some time later. Three died in the backyard, failing to get back to their car while the fourth seems to have left without incident.

Willis did not immediately see one direct message sent to him on social media about at least one of the disappearances & failed to notice when a couple of people came over looking for the men, because he wore earphones and kept a loud fan on while sleeping.

When it was freezing cold.

Hmmm...

" “Double jeopardy” refers only to trying someone twice for the same offence."

It's also got smething to do with a game show...? (Sorry).

Anyway, we'll find out soon enough I guess.

What ever happened it must have overwhelmed 3 full grown men very quickly
A cold bomb or cyclone is a know thing we’re the temperature drops very quickly but don’t think they are so localised

Cold bomb plus the windchill plus lack of appropriate clothing plus actual cover etc. and finally the quantity of alcohol consumed, since that reduces the blood temperature?

Cold bomb plus the windchill plus lack of appropriate clothing plus actual cover etc. and finally the quantity of alcohol consumed, since that reduces the blood temperature?
I thought that with hypothermia a person starts taking off clothes as the body temperature drops. I wonder if that happened in this case.

Back