• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Toilet Talk

Sounds delightful...

People tell me that India is a unique experience that I have yet to sample, but even having traversed the common perils of a swathe of South-East Asia unscathed (multiple friends have returned with parasitic extras), I found Egypt especially unpleasant.

What's everyone's is nobody's, and you may have to bribe a truculent attendant to allow you to use the lavatory of your nightmares.

People tell me that India is a unique experience that I have yet to sample, but even having traversed the common perils of a swathe of South-East Asia unscathed (multiple friends have returned with parasitic extras), I found Egypt especially unpleasant.

What's everyone's is nobody's, and you may have to bribe a truculent attendant to allow you to use the lavatory of your nightmares.
I do believe I can imagine that with reasonable accuracy - although there are plenty of decent toilets in Central America, in restaurants and cafes, the public toilets in markets and squares are... grim. And if you're really off the beaten track, it's a basic latrine - a plank across an open pit (for goodness sake don't slip) - I find these particularly vile at night, because you need to use a torch to see what you're doing, and the torch lights up the horrors below really well as you move about... that's without even mentioning the smell, the flies, and any other wildlife that may call the place home.

I do believe I can imagine that with reasonable accuracy - although there are plenty of decent toilets in Central America, in restaurants and cafes, the public toilets in markets and squares are... grim. And if you're really off the beaten track, it's a basic latrine - a plank across an open pit (for goodness sake don't slip) - I find these particularly vile at night, because you need to use a torch to see what you're doing, and the torch lights up the horrors below really well as you move about... that's without even mentioning the smell, the flies, and any other wildlife that may call the place home.
:nods:

Can remember an acquaintance describing similar, with special mention of the straining peg. :chuckle:

I wonder if that's why my nephew was ill with digestive issues for a few years after he came back from a trip to the wilds of Ecuador?
Maybe he picked something up.

I wonder if that's why my nephew was ill with digestive issues for a few years after he came back from a trip to the wilds of Ecuador?
Maybe he picked something up.
Almost certainly amoebas - they won't clear up on their own, they need to be annihilated with strong anti-parasitic medication - the medication is actually widely available, you feel a lot better after the first dose, and it only takes a few doses to do the job.

The squat toilets of south Asia tend to be better than imagined, as everything is doused with water after use (including one's nether regions). In fact the loos outside, clad in a shed of wood/corrugated iron are the best as no smells linger in the fresh air! The bucket and jug are ubiquitous bathroom accessories. The worst I found when I stayed there are the indoor ones where the light doesn't work and smells are trapped.

Alcohol hand gel was a personal requirement for me long before the c19 pandemic.

Like you, I found Egypt wasn't very nice in terms of toilets outwith hotels and fancier establishments.

Edit to add: Maybe this diversion into toilet-dom might be spun off into the Toilet Talk thread?

Council told to piss off.

Council signs that warn of a fine of up to £1,000 for anyone who urinates in a layby are unlikely to be enforceable by law, a lawyer says.

The signs appeared in a layby on the A41 near Kings Langley, Hertfordshire, after a man with a prostate problem was wrongly fined last year.
Lawyer Nick Freeman said Dacorum Borough Council (DBC) was using the environmental protection act "not for the purpose of which it was designed".

The council has been asked to comment.

"Urine isn't litter," said Mr Freeman, who is commonly known as Mr Loophole.

He said: "The spirit of the legislation is clearly not to criminalise every jogger, every biker, every dog walker who responds to the call of nature in a discreet way. The sign is a waste of taxpayers' money, because it does not follow the legislation."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-68279420

Council told to piss off.

Council signs that warn of a fine of up to £1,000 for anyone who urinates in a layby are unlikely to be enforceable by law, a lawyer says.

The signs appeared in a layby on the A41 near Kings Langley, Hertfordshire, after a man with a prostate problem was wrongly fined last year.
Lawyer Nick Freeman said Dacorum Borough Council (DBC) was using the environmental protection act "not for the purpose of which it was designed".

The council has been asked to comment.

"Urine isn't litter," said Mr Freeman, who is commonly known as Mr Loophole.

He said: "The spirit of the legislation is clearly not to criminalise every jogger, every biker, every dog walker who responds to the call of nature in a discreet way. The sign is a waste of taxpayers' money, because it does not follow the legislation."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-68279420
This is incorrect as urinating in public is an offence under English law. (Same applies to spitting.)
I should know as my ex was fined for it! :chuckle:

…indecent exposure.

Nope: Until 2003, for indecent exposure the - apparatus - had to be exposed “wilfully, openly, lewdly and obscenely with intent to insult any female”, in the memorable words of the Vagrancy Act.

Since 2003, it’s been the boring:

“A person commits an offence if—

(a) he intentionally exposes his genitals, and

(b) he intends that someone will see them and be caused alarm or distress.”

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/42/section/66

maximus otter

Ive peed next to a tree behind the toilets cause the buggers were closed, unfortunatlely i was wearing a jumpsuit and i was practically naked, there was a field next to it with a van there and a small fire, no people were in sight, i didnt give a toss, i had drank that much tea at Whitby it had to come out, and i doubt the bus driver would have been impressed by me peeing on his seats.
Dont know if ive mentioned this but i have always had a fear of sinks and baths flooding, it is worse with those toilets where the water is high up, i will not sit down on them, when the water flushes on my own it moves quite high up the bowl, it scares me, i know that is stupid and i cannot explain it

Last edited:
Back