• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Elffriend,

The worst that's happened to me in my sleep is something smacking me in the face, making my nose bleed, while in a deep sleep. Nothing paranormal just my daughter who was in my bed that night and having a nightmare.

Glad it's not just me. I usually have 10" on the left hand side of the bed and my daughter has the rest. Many a time wake up to find various legs/arms spread across me. My favourite is the slap in the face at about 3am...

Re: Probably Just Dreams And Delusions

AndroMan said:
Such stories are all very well and if you care to reproduce any of the actual phenomena under scientific laboratory conditions, approved by 'The Amazing Randi,' then there's a million dollar prize waiting.

Come on then! No takers?

See, that just prove such things can't really happen. :D

Indeed, I have no proof. Just a story.

Tongue Firmly In Cheek.

Mythopoeika said:
Indeed, I have no proof. Just a story.
Of course, in order to attempt to reproduce such phenomena, one would have to be able to guarantee, whilst the test subject slept, a steady supply of seldom encountered and randomly deceasing relatives.

:)

Has anyone heard a voice?

I only have one clear memory of a hypnogogic figure speaking, though I think it may have happened a couple of times. The voice itself wasn't anything unusual, but some of the words had the quality of slight dysphasia about them, and somehow I knew what they'd meant to say and it was scary for some reason that they'd said something different.

My dad had a hypnogogic experience which I thought was fascinating and amusing at the same time.

This happened about 15 years ago, he told us how he had woken up in the middle of the night to see a gruesome gargoyle like figure perched on the end of the bed with big teeth and leering tongue.

He has a scientific mind and thought to himself that must be an halucination as gargoyle like monsters on the end of the bed cannot be real therefore must be a figment of my imagination.

After blinking a few times and the figure didn't go away, he just ignored it rolled over and went back to sleep.

Yes this turned into, I woke up in the middle of the night and saw a gargoyle on my bed, yes I woke up in the middle of the night and saw really these kind of things

a: spider when I turn on the lamp it was gone.

b: human shape figure shining light : put into It happened to me guaridan angel topic.

c: various human shaped figures but unclear wasn't realy woke up

d: three witches, (yes like Mac Beth). These were young and sitting in my room, and if it changes anything it was middday. I was sleeping and when I woke up I see them I went back to sleep.

They were screaming in fact.

Terrific.

e: for elf people yes I saw one tall 2 feet with long arms ang legs, golden color, was throwing some dust on other sleeepers in the room, this was near radar facility. Gremlin??

Well He was very fast, speed with moving from one place of furniture to other, like changing chanell onTV, I was pretending to sleep to not draw attention of this creature but it was few seconds vision. that was in the middle of the night, and if I remember anything else I add it.

Happily, I haven't had too many hypnogogic visions (usually mine are auditory, but I can tell because I hear them in the center of my head and not externally), but when I've seen figures or people in my room, they usually are turned away or ducked down or in some way obscuring their face. Similarly, in dreams I never see faces.

When I'm really physically tired, and having vivid dreams, I often wake from them with my eyes already open. What happens is the dream slows and starts to feel frozen - somehow in the dream, I feel paralyzed, or the scenery doesn't change, and then it morphs into whatever I'm actually looking at.

The first time it happened, as far as I can remember, I was probably about 7 years old and dreaming that I was looking down on a group of children out playing in the snow. They were walking along, and my dream "zoomed in" on one of them as she looked up, smiled, and put out her hands to catch snowflakes, and then just sort of froze, and I realized I was awake and looking at a picture that was on my wall of a smiling girl looking up with her hands held out(I don't remember the picture's details - whether it really involved snow or not).

Now that I think about it, I don't remember where that picture came from, why I had it (I don't remember particularly liking it), or what happened to it eventually. But there's nothing Fortean about that. I probably wouldn't remember the picture at all if it weren't for that dream!

I have always been bemused that ghosts are reported as turning up at people's bedsides. To me it seems perfectly logical that the person was either just falling asleep and misread the surroundings and external stimulae or had just woken from a dream and retained the image with the eyes now open.

Now I am not so sure.

Last february I was lying awake, trying to get off to sleep despite my husband's snoring. I was lying on my left side, facing my husband. Without movement the small figure of what might have been a female figure suddenly appeared, standing at the top of the bed, next to my husband and looking ahead at the wall. As I looked for just a few startled seconds, I only took in the very bright light it emitted and the appearance of a cloth round the head and shoulders. The rest of the figure was obscured by the bed.

Not unaturally I dived under the covers then woke my husband for some comfort. I asked him to check my heart rate which was thumping as I had never woken from a dream in such a state of fright.

About three or four days later it happened again on the same side of the bed. I'm convinced I was awake. This time the figure was blurred but appeared to be facing me directly across the bed. Same routine, I woke the husband, very frightened.

I decided either this was what I believe is termed a hypnogogic experience, (a dream experienced moments after falling asleep?) or pressure on the side of my eye causing a Migraine-like flash of light that my confused brain tried to make sense of.

A week later I was on my back in bed, trying to fall asleep again! If you are married to a snorer, I need say no more. This time there was no light coming from the 'visitor'. In a bedroom that was absolutely black I saw the figure of a fat, middle-aged naked man with close-cropped hair take a few steps towards the end of my bed, looking straight at me all the while. Nothing blurred or mystical about this guy! I let out an enormous scream. No need to wake the husband this time.

So I could forget the Migraine, eye-ball pressure theory, this was hypnogogic then.

On March 9th my mother phoned to say that she had been waiting a few weeks to confirm some tests she had undergone. Sadly, she had terminal cancer and would not have long to live.

A friend, who is involved in spiritualism thought these visitations were linked with my mother's distress that she was experiencing during that time. When she was dying she said she had 'seen herself' standing at the end of the bed looking back at herself. This was in daylight.

I do not think this has a bearing, but my husband's first wife died in our bedroom (of cancer) six years ago.

Classical response can only be:"You were dreaming, mate", but the odd thing is that I have never experienced anything like it in 52 years.

I've done my best to patch up the broken quotations and formatting in this thread. Shame about the now anonymous contributors.

I couldn't help smile at the trace of mild humour here:

Mother's Subconscious Engaged In Inner Monologue:

This is looking serious; the doctors say we're not getting out of it this time—it's time for a psychic beacon to our nearest and dearest.

*A few nights later, in tones of resignation*

Damn it, she's shrugged off both 'the lady of light' and 'the dark intruder'; the message just isn't getting through—we'll have to send in the naked middle-aged fat guy!

Back