• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Celebrities & The Paranormal

gattino

Justified & Ancient
Watching the Fugitive reminded me of David "Harry O" Janssen the star of the original tv series. I recall years ago someone on local radio telling Janssen's life story, or more specifically his frequent premonitions including of his own death. Trying to look it up online the only such reference I can find in a cursory glance is the report (by a professional psychic after the fact, mind you) that Janssen had had - and rang to tell her about - an Abraham Lincoln type vision of his own body being carried off to the cemetery, 2 days before he died of a heart attack. Of course one might speculate his heart was screaming out warning signals picked up in his dreams. I don't on the face of it see prior premonitions of his described online.

It got me thinking anyway to try and gather all such celeb encounters, of whatever provenance, in one place. Along with the Janssen story was a newspaper report in the early 80s about Lindsay "Bionic Woman" Wagner "My mother and I were booked on that American Airlines DC-10 that crashed shortly after takeoff at the Chicago airport,” she said. “But 10 minutes before we were due to get on I had a psychic flash that warned me of disaster. I begged my mother to change our flight and an hour later we learned that all 271 people onboard had been killed. I haven’t doubted a single premonition since."

Tele Savalas story of picking up a phantom hitchhiker appears in countless paranormal anthology books, with the precise details altering from book to book, but Savalas himself can be found recounting it in his own words on youtube (If nothing else it belies the article in FT a while ago which claimed no first hand phantom hitchhiker stories could be found, they were always FOAF.)

Other tales that comes to mind are Alec Guinness forewarning James Dean of his car crash, Melvyn Bragg's youthful suffering from OOBE's (the most intriguing to me, which he described on a This Morning interview was that he saw the "ghostly" part of himself on the ceiling from the perspective of his still conscious physical self on the sofa. a reverse of the usual experience, which I've never heard of before), and Michael Bentine's seeing skulls imposed on the faces of people he encountered who were about to be killed..including his own son.

Anyway, it seems someone has collected a whole lot of other such star-studded NDEs and encounters with ghosts in one place. If you can think of any not included in it, please share. http://www.psychicreach.co.uk/web/quick-links/celebs-psychic-experiences-39/

We have no fewer than twenty-three (!) threads with Celebrity in the title already - several for Ghosts and Hauntings, one for Colostomy Bags. The desire to collect things in one place could start here . . . :rolleyes:

Was it a haunted Colostomy Bag?

If you're looking for paranormal celebrity stories, the 90s (I think) Australian TV show The Extraordinary usually has at least one celebrity on each episode and it's available on Youtube. Telly Savalas' encounter is told in one episode.

Just to correct my initial Tele Savalas reference, on second thoughts I believe he was the hitchhiker and the person giving him the lift was the phantom... a whole new twist on the cliche, and an imponderable one, since he presumably was transported a number of miles in a non existent (physically at least) car.

I always have a credibility issue with any celebrity Forteana, as there's there no such thing as bad publicity and celebrity by it's very nature has to have that. It's a lazy cognitive shortcut I know, but as soon as I know it a 'sleb' story, I move on.

There appears to be some illogical thought process amongst a general viewer that because they are a 'celebrity' it makes them a more reliable witness. They may not consciously realise that they do this but i think that they do it.

There appears to be some illogical thought process amongst a general viewer that because they are a 'celebrity' it makes them a more reliable witness. They may not consciously realise that they do this but i think that they do it.
It's call "ontological confusion". The notion that an authority in one field is also an authority in another. So a rock star lecturing us about global warming say and being accepted as an authority on the matter by some.

Or believing that a celebrated DJ is paragon of virtue otherwise.

It's a human thing, but it's one that collapses after very little critical thought.

Advertisers know of this effect and use it ruthlessly, I consdier that this use has contributed to a culture of believing the celeb over the scientist (as an example).

Back