• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird & Stupid Calls To Police / Fire / Emergency Services

It looks to me as if people are feeling rather sorry for poor old Plod - given the number of large scale investigations that have been bungled lately - so they're making a concerted to effort to throw out a few cases that can easily be solved and marked down as jobs well done.

The call handlers probably did point the callers in the right direction when they called about noisy neighbours for example, but the point is that it isn't an emergency so don't call the emergency number.

The article is about people calling 999 when they should be using a non-emergency channel (101, online, Facebook, Twitter etc.).

CarlosTheDJ said:
The call handlers probably did point the callers in the right direction when they called about noisy neighbours for example, but the point is that it isn't an emergency so don't call the emergency number.

The article is about people calling 999 when they should be using a non-emergency channel (101, online, Facebook, Twitter etc.).

If someone throws something at your window (even if it doesn't break) you might view it as an emergency. Same goes for big dog on the loose. Even police dogs savage kids. Not everyone will have the number of their local cop shop.

My point is though that the calls I noted above are not imho nuisance calls or anything to be laughed at.

ramonmercado said:
Not everyone will have the number of their local cop shop.

It's 101. Anywhere in the country, you just dial 101.

CarlosTheDJ said:
ramonmercado said:

Until my sister in law started working for the police I was always half convinced that those ridiculous emergency calls you hear about were UL's, but no, the stupidity of certain members of the general public should never be underestimated.

That said, I get Ramon's point on some of those examples - they might look non-urgent in hindsight, but you can see that at the time they might not have appeared quite as obviously so.

It seems to me that someone's tried to flag up a genuine problem with some not so great examples.

Spookdaddy said:
It seems to me that someone's tried to flag up a genuine problem with some not so great examples.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there.

****scrolls back up****

Ah yes....the Daily Mail strikes again!

CarlosTheDJ said:
ramonmercado said:

Ah, Don't have that in Ireland.

But I still don't think the cases I mentioned are petty or a waste of police time.

Toddler Calls Police 15 Times In A Month, Parents Charged
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/0 ... 23999.html

LOWVILLE, N.Y. (AP) — Authorities have charged a northern New York woman and her boyfriend because the woman's 2-year-old daughter used their cellphones to dial 911 a total of 15 times last month.

Village of Lowville Police Officer Matthew Martin says the 23-year-old mother and her 33-year-old boyfriend told him they tried to keep their phones away from the persistent toddler, but the girl kept getting them and dialing 911.

Martin spoke to the couple Wednesday after Lewis County 911 dispatchers reported that a child had called 14 times in January. Martin says the child called 911 a 15th time later that night.

He charged the couple the next day with obstructing governmental administration.

Martin says the girl called 911 three more times Friday but hasn't made an emergency call since then.

Could this be the most ridiculous police call ever? Listen here.

A US man took wasting police time to another level when he called 911 for assistance over a broken zip on his wife’s jacket.

The conversation went like this:

Operator: 911, Police Fire and Medical.

Caller: Yeah we got a problem here. My wife is struggling in her jacket and can’t get it off. I want 911 here immediately.

Operator: Is she not breathing?

Caller: She’s alright, she just can’t get her jacket off.

The man then adds: ‘I don’t want to cut it off, it’s a nice jacket.’

Remarkably, the dispatcher sent a team of emergency personnel to deal with the incident, although the audio has since been released as part of the Washington Dispatch Agency’s ‘You called 911 for that?!’ campaign.
http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/15/video-man ... t-4305507/

I don't think it's on this thread, but my favourite is the guy who called the cops at night to say there was a bg white object in the sky! :lol:

Trenton man faces charges in 'alien invasion' school threat

HAMILTON — A Trenton man is facing charges of false public alarm after he allegedly tried to call in an alien invasion to the county’s special services school district twice in nine days, police said.

Darren Morris, 31, has no obvious connection to the school for disabled and troubled youths and was not a student there, Capt. James Stevens said today.

It was unclear why Morris made phone calls on Feb. 25 and March 6 on a main line an administrator wound up answering.

In the calls, Morris said he was being followed by aliens, that they had taken people, and they were coming to abduct more, Stevens said.

“And he was warning the school that there were ‘robot aliens,’” Stevens said.

The school called police following both the first call at 4:30 p.m. Feb. 25 and again around 7:30 a.m. March 6. At neither point was the school evacuated or put on lockdown, but officials wanted the calls reported.

“And no one at the school wanted to take the chance,” Stevens said.

“There was definitely some concern when he called a second time,” Stevens added.

The school’s caller ID recorded the number Morris was using on the second call, and Detective Len Gadsby traced it to a pay phone at the Trenton train station. NJ Transit police pulled video camera footage that identified Morris as a suspect, and he was arrested at the station Saturday morning.

The single charge of false public alarm is an indictable offense, Stevens said, and Morris is being held at the county workhouse in lieu of $5,000 bail.

Mercer County spokeswoman Julie Willmot confirmed school officials received two calls within weeks of each other.

“Both calls were nonspecific and noncredible,” she said.

Staff writer Nicole Mulvaney contributed to this report.
http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2014 ... hreat.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Man calls 999 to complain about his McDonald’s burger

Morgan Spurlock he ain’t, but this man does seem to place high importance on the ingredients that made up McDonald’s burgers.

The Wolverhampton resident rang 999 to complain about his fast food meal asking the emergency responder to help him find out the ingredients to the seemingly unsatisfactory food choice.

West Midlands Police released this clip to highlight the sheer volume of bogus and ridiculous calls that prevent them from responding to life threatening situations.

The man kept repeatedly asking a member of the Police’s Force Contact team to transfer him to the ‘cop shop’ in this case referring to Bilston Police Station in Wolverhampton.

Finally, after rambling and speaking over the patient responder, he explained that ‘I am at McDonald’s yeah, I’m asking for ingredients on the meal I’m eating…’

When it was explained to him why this was not an emergency, he sedately replied: ‘Is it not? Okey dokey.’

Speaking to the Telegraph, Chief Superintendent Jim Andronov, head of the West Midlands contact centre said: ‘Typically West Midlands Police receive over 1,500 calls a day to the 999 number and our operatives have to deal with each one accordingly.

‘Of these, some 10 to 20 per cent are not police matters and around 50 per cent are non-emergency calls.’
http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/25/man-calls ... o=facebook

I'm no longer sure I inhabit the same dimension as some of these people.

A woman reporting her grandchildren for not doing their homework and the theft of a garden gnome were among emergency calls received within 24 hours by one of the UK’s largest police forces.

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) used Twitter to highlight all 2,626 calls it received from 5am on Tuesday to 5am yesterday to show the challenges its officers and staff faced on a daily basis.

Among the calls featured as part of GMP24 were the report of a gnome theft in Salford, and the grandmother from Oldham who called to say her grandchildren were misbehaving and not doing their homework.

A man from Bury dialled 999 to order a pizza, a man from Manchester reported his friend was drunk and being verbally aggressive to him, while a woman rang in to say she could not leave the motorway at her desired slip road. ...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/poli ... 91599.html

I do recall, back in the 70's, entertaining ourselves late one night not by stealing gnomes - no no not stealing them - simply swapping them between gardens :) There were a lot more gnomes about then, of course.

Cochise said:
I do recall, back in the 70's, entertaining ourselves late one night not by stealing gnomes - no no not stealing them - simply swapping them between gardens :)
There were a lot more gnomes about then, of course.

Ted Heath put people on short time.

The non emergency number for local police is 101, however most people only know the emergency number.

Couple arrested after calling 911 to report people, opossums in their refrigerator
A man and woman were arrested Sunday morning after repeatedly calling 911 to report seeing people and opossums jumping out of their refrigerator and microwave at a house on Prince Street, according to investigative reports.

Deputies said Brandon Terry and Casey Fowler gave them a mailbox number that didn’t exist, but deputies were able to track down the concerned couple at a home a few blocks away.

Deputies immediately asked if the couple had taken any drugs.

Terry and Fowler said they had not. They did however have photos which they told deputies showed “worms coming out of the floor of their vehicle” and “midgets and other people camouflaged,” reports state.

Deputies noted that the photos only showed a basketball goal and a tree but the couple argued that the people in the photos were camouflaged.

Deputies asked to conduct field sobriety tests and said both suspects showed signs of being intoxicated. Deputies suspect the two were under the influence of “gravel” or “flakka,” which are similar to bath salts, reports state.
http://www.ktre.com/story/30470152/...sums-in-their-refrigerator?clienttype=generic
:eek:

Scotland Yard said Christmas and new year is the busiest time of year for the emergency services, and nuisance calls waste valuable resources. On average the Met Police receive more than 4.5 million calls a year to the 999 and 101 numbers. Ten time-wasting calls made to the Met police were: :: A woman called to say she had bought a cold kebab and the shop would not replace it :: Callers who missed their alarm and were going to be late for a flight wanted officers to take them to the airport :: A woman who had seen a clown in London selling balloons for £5 each, which was much more than other clowns were charging :: Callers in distress because their low fuel indicator light had come on

Read more at: http://www.london24.com/news/crime/...4357635?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it
Copyright © LONDON24

Here's a real case of crossed lines...
Woman calls police to report a crash in Barnstaple - and gets through to Barnstable in Massachusetts
By G_Bartlett | Posted: September 19, 2016

This is the moment a concerned woman tried calling Devon & Cornwall Police - and got through to cops in America.

The emergency call is believed to have been made on Thursday night and the video quickly did the rounds on both sides of the pond.

The female caller was trying to call police in Barnstaple, north Devon, to report a collision but got through to Barnstable police department in Massachusetts, much to the officer's confusion.

The video was posted by Massachusetts news website HyannisNews.com.

American officer Mark McWilliams tries to figure out where the woman is before they both realise they are talking to each other from different continents.

The call lasts for over two and half minutes before they realise the problem.

Barnstable, Massachusetts took its name from the town in South West England. According to its Wikipedia page in 2007 it won the All-America City Award.

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/listen-...merican-cops/story-29729796-detail/story.html

I thought we had a thread for weird emergency calls but after spending ages looking couldn't find it, so bumping this old thread to save forum space,

13 hrs ago
Dorset Police asked to deal with UFOs and ghosts in bonkers reports
By Martin Lea @DorsetEchoMart

In July 2016 a person in North Bournemouth called the police to say they had seen two ghosts 'which they were going to kill'. The caller had dialled 999.

No officer attended any of these incidents and neither did they attend reports of a UFO in the Purbecks in which the caller said they had been looking at UFO sightings when 'someone knocked on his door - not suspicious, just a passer-by.'

https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/1...upz77_o5K_LXLVxuQj1Jpy8BLf3FRkZW6R0FgObmpMMnQ

It's a crap job...

Firefighters have rescued more than 650 people from locked toilets since 2016.

London Fire Brigade urged members of the public to "use common sense" before dialling 999 after receiving 659 calls from people locked in loos. It said firefighters also had to rescue a child with their head wedged in a potty, a woman stuck up a tree and a pigeon trapped inside a chimney.

As well as the "unusual" calls, the brigade had more than 30,000 malicious hoax calls in the last five years.

Deputy Commissioner Tom George said: "No matter how strange a call may seem, we will always attend if there is a genuine emergency but you should always think carefully about how to use our resources".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-47746517

More 999 calls, the chicken and dog might both have the mange. Vid at link.

Thames Valley Police warn over misuse of 999 system
Reports of a rotting chicken and a dog with missing fur are two examples of the 999 emergency call system being misused.
They've been highlighted by Thames Valley Police as the force launches a campaign to encourage people to use online reporting or the non-emergency 101 phone number.
They say that 80% of the calls to 999 are not emergencies.
  • 12 Aug 2019

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-engl...-valley-police-warn-over-misuse-of-999-system

Last edited:
Back