• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Do Forteans Share A Myers-Briggs 'Type'?

Which Is Your Myers-Briggs Category (As Actually Tested)?

• ISTJ

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • ISFJ

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • INFJ

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • INTJ

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • ISTP

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • ISFP

• INFP

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • INTP

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • ESTP

• ESFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ENFP

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • ENTP

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • ESTJ

• ESFJ

• ENFJ

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • ENTJ

• Total voters
Just had a look and I'm ISFP at the closest so guess I'm still unique.

I just took a free online test and I'm an ENFP-T, or "Campaigner".

I don't believe there is only one sort of Fortean. From my direct experience of interacting in this forum, I have come across hardline sceptics, open minded sceptics, the habitually credulous, and those with what appears to be a dogmatic position, as well as those who only appear to be titillated by superficial details of the extraordinary.

In my own case, for example, I am interested in cryptids that I consider to be plausible, but interested only in the psychology or sociology of stories about those cryptids I consider to be implausible. I find traditional folklore interesting but have no patience for anything to do with Area 51 or UFOs. I'm prepared to accept that there may be some truth in certain aspects of ESP, but I turn off whenever I read any reference to parallel universes and alternative dimensions. I tend to avoid debates about certain subjects, but I get too deeply involved in others. I am always, I hope, open minded to new evidence, but I approach all Fortean questions analytically.

Interest in Forteana is only a small part of my life. The rest of the time, I tend to gravitate towards the unusual or minority interest, and I am usually the odd one out in any group. I am comfortable performing to small or large crowds, but quickly get tired in a room full of friends.

INTP here too - if anyone takes that seriously. They also did the "Four colors personality" test at work as well. I think I came out half blue and half red or something. Either way, I hate being labelled and won't do these sorts of tests for work anymore.

Last edited:
So is saying 'I'm an INTJ' any more insightful than saying 'I'm an aries'? (I'm an INTJ, IIRC).

Well, INTJ is a rare type, yet there's a number of them here (myself included) as well as among others I know with Fortean interests. It would seem to be above chance.

Well, INTJ is a rare type, yet there's a number of them here (myself included) as well as among others I know with Fortean interests. It would seem to be above chance.
Perhaps we should do poll then compare the results to the general population?

To be honest I can't remember if I am intj or infj, it's been a while

Yeah, do the poll and see. I think both INTP and INTJ are meant to be <5% of the general population. But they seem to be fairly common here.

Any chance you could add a poll?

I can, but ...

What options do you want made available for selection?

There's a limit of 10 selection options per poll, and it would take 16 options to cover the possible alternatives (results).

If you mean a poll on something other than "Which profile are you?", post the full list of desired options here.

I can, but ...

What options do you want made available for selection?

There's a limit of 10 selection options per poll, and it would take 16 options to cover the possible alternatives (results).

If you mean a poll on something other than "Which profile are you?", post the full list of desired options here.
I meant all the possible alternatives, and there being only 10 options available does rule out the idea.

Don't ask how I did it, and don't assume I'll do it again ...

I've established a 16-option poll to cover the canonical MBTI categories.

The results are publicly viewable, and voters are not identified in relation to the votes cast.

Responses should reflect actual results from taking a test / battery. If you don't run through the test in some form, don't post a response based solely on opinion or guesswork.

It has NOT been preloaded with results claimed in this thread's posts to date. If you'd already posted your tested category result, you still have to select the associated option to enter your result in the poll.

Even in fun - how often should we take the test and post a result, given it's dreadfully poor repeatability...? Among other severe issues.

I won't be entering a category - feel free to make snarky remark like "That's just like a typical [I/E/N/F/T/S/P/J delete as not applicable]."

Thanks EnolaGaia.

Coal, I don't really believe in this test at the moment but it's interesting to experiment and see if we as a group do skew one way or the other as compared to the average.

I'm an INFP this time.

ISTJ:

"Introverted Sensing Thinking Judging

You are: Quiet, serious, earn success by thoroughness and dependability. Practical, matter-of-fact, realistic, and responsible. Decide logically what should be done and work toward it steadily, regardless of distractions. Take pleasure in making everything orderly and organized - their work, their home, their life. Value traditions and loyalty."

As part of the "practical, matter-of-fact" thing, here's a link to the test.

maximus otter

Thinking the test has no demonstrable basis in fact is one thing. Looking at how we are distributed is another. Comparing that distribution with the general population is a third.

Even in fun - how often should we take the test and post a result, given it's dreadfully poor repeatability...? Among other severe issues.

I won't be entering a category - feel free to make snarky remark like "That's just like a typical [I/E/N/F/T/S/P/J delete as not applicable]."

The poll is configured l to allow folks to return and change their votes as need be.

I also won't be posting any vote for myself. Over the decades I've done the MBTI multiple times, and I seem to end up in a different category on each trial. Based on my experience the test's 'mechanics' are somewhat transparent to me, and in certain situations I've gamed it at will.

In other words it's like a puzzle toy I mastered long ago, and there's no true test in my engaging it.

I can't say I have a lot of respect for the MBTI as an instrument for analyzing a given individual. Nonetheless, it does provide a common reference point around which multiple folks can compare and contrast results. In this latter context it's neither wildly different from, nor better / worse than, any of a number of personality assessment tools.

Based on my experience the test's 'mechanics' are somewhat transparent to me, and in certain situations I've gamed it at will.
There's that. Many such tests can be gamed, that's the snag with using them as (fro example) job selection. I have suggested using Belbin Team-working or Management styles as a job gate, as the recruiter might establish what 'type' they requires in their environment, so gaming the test has no value as the candidate doesn't know the result that is required.

In this latter context it's neither wildly different from, nor better / worse than, any of a number of personality assessment tools.

Well true, but there are good ones which are well proved, based on sound theory, have continued to be validated and are now available in a banked format. So why not use a good one? ;)

Thinking the test has no demonstrable basis in fact is one thing. Looking at how we are distributed is another. Comparing that distribution with the general population is a third.

The test has been shown to have no basis in fact or theory and low repeatability. So the next two points are moot. :hoff:

I suspect the only thing MBTI does well is score introversion or extroversion and standard FFM and HEXACO tests do that rather better.

The test has been shown to have no basis in fact or theory and low repeatability. So the next two points are moot.

The next two points are where the interest lies.

What If.... there us a significant skew? a well didgy tool has produced an interesting result. :D

I seem to vaguely recall that I'm an INTP.
Can't be arsed to do the test all over again.

INPT - T. "Logician".

Some of the stuff in the description is right, there's quite a bit wrong. If you're not aware of the Barnum effect, you might think it's extremely accurate.
It's bit voodoo science.

Back