• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

My Experiences Growing Up In A Haunted House

Starbuck

Junior Acolyte
Hi all, first-time poster here. I found this forum a few months ago and have been reading (and loving) all of the 'It happened to me!' posts since! So I thought I should share some of my own stories...

My most significant paranormal experience so far happened fairly consistently over a span of 16 years (until we eventually moved out of the house). Multiple events, multiple witnesses, no real pattern but just lots of different things. I'm going to try and get down as much as I remember, but first let me give you a bit of info on the house in question:

So the house is in Lancashire and was originally a council house, which means it was identical in size and shape to most other houses on the street. Downstairs the front door opened into a hall with two small closets and the stairs, then off from that was the living room to the left and the dining room straight ahead, with a kitchen inbetween these two rooms.

Upstairs was another small closet then a long landing which had my parents bedroom then my bedroom on the left, and a separate toilet, then bathroom, then my sister's bedroom on the right. There was also an attic, but I don't remember ever going up there.

The house itself wasn't very old, possibly 1940's, although I don't know for sure. I'm also unaware of any particularly tragic events in its history. It was just an ordinary, nondescript, semi-detached family home.

Like I said, there was no real pattern to the events so I'm just going to list them by type:

1. Auditory events

One of my earliest memories is of me and my sister, when we went up to bed, being terrified of walking past the bathroom. We've discussed this a lot over the years and we both have a recollection of hearing someone snoring or breathing heavily in there when we walked past (and we were the only ones upstairs).

As a child I was also woken a few times by the sound of someone singing in the dead of night. It was always a female, rather operatic voice, doing scales (my mum was in no way an opera singer!)

When I was a little older, early teenage years, I recall several times waking to use the bathroom and as I reached the top of the stairs I could hear sounds from the kitchen as if someone was slamming cupboards and smashing plates. Now my parents relationship had always been fairly volatile, so the first couple of times I heard this I feared that they'd had a fight and one, or both, of them was out of bed and taking their anger out on the crockery. But upon checking their bedroom I'd always find them both fast asleep. And of course, in the morning, no evidence of this mayhem would be visible (or at least, none that I'd ever been aware of. I'll come on to my parents reactions later). Possibly related to this, I used to have a recurring nightmare that 'stick men' would come into our kitchen at night and go through all of our cupboards.

2. Sightings

These were far fewer in number than the auditory and other events, in fact I can only recall two times that I ever saw anything and one time that my sister, who is three years younger than me, did.

My first sighting occurred the same day that my parents brought home a beautiful, antique wardrobe and chest of drawers from Warren & Wignalls (auctioneers, in case people haven't heard of them). Now I have no idea if this had any connection to the sighting, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

So it was 5 am in the morning and I know this because, up until the age of about 6 or 7, me and my sister were so terrified in that house that we refused to sleep alone. So we'd share a double bed in my room until my parents came to bed, then I would get in with my dad in our parents room and my mum would get in with my sister in my room. Then when my dad got up for work at 5, he'd wake me and I'd go and squeeze in with my mum and sister.

So he'd just woken me at 5 and I was settling into the bed in my room when all of a sudden the room started to look 'weird', as if it was filled with thousands of tiny, twinkling stars. As I continued to stare out I saw two people enter the room - a woman and a girl. I can still remember them clearly to this day. They were dressed as if going to a wedding or formal event. The woman was wearing a dusky pink coat and matching hat with net veil, kind of like what the Queen Mother used to wear. The girl had long blonde hair and was wearing a red dress. They came in through the door, moved across the room from right to left and then disappeared through the far wall.

My second sighting occurred when I was a little older. I forget where my dad was working at the time, but wherever it was, he had to get up super early to get there. So, because my mum didn't want to be disturbed, my dad slept in my sister's room and she slept with either me or my mum, I forget exactly who now (we did eventually stop separating our parents at night and managed to sleep in our own rooms). Anyway, it was the middle of the night and for some reason I was going into my sister's room where my dad was asleep (I think this might have been one of those nights that I heard the noises in the kitchen and wanted to be sure neither of my parents were up). But as I moved through the door and into the room, I caught a glimpse of what looked like a person (not my dad), kneeling at the foot of the bed. I shot out of there pretty quickly after that and retreated to my own room to hide under the covers! The next day I mentioned it to my mum but she insisted I had just seen a pile of clothes on the floor, which I know it couldn't possibly have been.

My sister's sighting happened in broad daylight, on a weekend morning when we were both sitting up in bed and drawing pictures. Suddenly out of nowhere she just yelled "There's a man at the door!" I couldn't see anything but she described him as a tall, blue man and she was absolutely terrified.

3. Moving objects

This was by far the most common type of occurance, doors opening and closing on their own, objects disappearing and reappearing or changing position in a room when nobody was looking.

The one that still scares me the most when I think back on it was witnessed by both myself and my dad. My parent's bedroom housed the cistern cupboard (where the water heater was kept, for anyone who doesn't know what one is). My mum's side of the bed was right next to this cupboard, with just enough room for a person to walk between its doors and the bed. I was sleeping on her side of the bed, my dad on his own side, when suddenly we were both awoken by the sound of the cupboard door slamming shut (they were never left open because the rest of the cupboard became a cluttered mess of stored towels and blankets). But the thing that truly scares me about this event was my dad's reaction. There appeared to be no confusion on what the noise might have been or what might have caused the door to slam like it did, he simply leaped out of bed and pushed me over to his side, then laid himself down between the cupboard and myself. It was as if he'd seen it happen before or it was a familiar occurence to him. It also confirmed for me that I hadn't dreamed or imagined it.

Another moving occurance involved a record player I had when I was a teenager. I was alone upstairs doing something in my room. I left the room briefly to use the bathroom and when I returned a couple of minutes later, my record player and both of its speakers had shifted onto the middle of my bed.

My mum once bought a new dress in the sales and initially hung it in one of the downstairs closets, where we kept the coats. That dress disappeared from inside the closet and was never seen again.

4. Other stuff

The upstairs corridor ended at a solid wall, with the doors to mine and my sister's rooms facing each other at right angles from this wall. Many different visitors to the house remarked over the years that there was a cold spot at the end of the corridor. Interestingly, I used to have another recurring nightmare that, at night, a window would open in that wall and all kinds of creepy figures would climb out.

So I mentioned briefly about my parents reactions to all of this. Sadly, they're both no longer with us, so I can't ask them for any confirmation. But I believe that my dad had experienced things in that house as well, he just kept it to himself. As for my mum, although she had a huge fascination with ghosts, she always brushed off mine and my sister's many tales, no matter how scared we were. Thinking back now I wonder whether, as the family member who spent the most time alone in the house (she was a stay at home mum until me and my sister were teenagers) she did this as a coping mechanism?

One more thing to add about my mum though, is that a few years after we'd moved out, she bumped into our former neighbour while out shopping. Apparently during the course of their conversation, that house came up and my mum claimed that the neighbour told her "We always knew about that house but didn't want to say anything to you while you was living in it in case it scared you"!

So that's my story and, looking back, I almost find it impossible to believe that we stayed as long as we did! But then fleeing in the dead of night is for hollywood movies, with a mortage taken out by my parents to eventually buy the house, I guess they just had too much invested there to simply walk away.

Would love to hear what you all think about my experience and thanks for reading!

So he'd just woken me at 5 and I was settling into the bed in my room when all of a sudden the room started to look 'weird', as if it was filled with thousands of tiny, twinkling stars. As I continued to stare out I saw two people enter the room - a woman and a girl. I can still remember them clearly to this day. They were dressed as if going to a wedding or formal event. The woman was wearing a dusky pink coat and matching hat with net veil, kind of like what the Queen Mother used to wear. The girl had long blonde hair and was wearing a red dress. They came in through the door, moved across the room from right to left and then disappeared through the far wall.
That sounds strangely beautiful.

Wondrful, thank you. Fascinating to read.

This bit
Many different visitors to the house remarked over the years that there was a cold spot at the end of the corridor.

reminds me of my own house which has warm spots. One is over the cooker. I often walk past and feel warmth from it, and check it's not been left on, but it never has. The cooker was in a different place in the kitchen when I moved here and its current position had the warm spot even back then.

For a while the cooker was ready but we hadn't yet had the gas pipe installed for it. The warm spot often made me think 'Oooh, Techy's had the gas put in without telling me!'

Excellent story/post. I wonder how common the moving objects type phenomenon is, two friends mentioned low level things happening in their houses but nothing that they considered scary, neither went into much detail, one said it was mostly stuff not being where he'd left it, which could of course be forgetfulness or family members moving stuff.

I wonder how common the moving objects type phenomenon is, two friends mentioned low level things happening in their houses but nothing that they considered scary, neither went into much detail, one said it was mostly stuff not being where he'd left it, which could of course be forgetfulness or family members moving stuff.
I think it's interesting how often paranormal experiences seem to have a very tenuous nature. It's as if the ghosts are doing it on purpose so that evidence of their existence can't be confirmed with any certainty! :p

But it's almost (but not quite) always the case that apparitions appear at night, or when people are in bed and so might be forced to question whether they were awake or asleep; objects moving on their own are so subtle that you find yourself wondering if you simply forgot that you'd moved it; attempts at recording paranormal phenomena are insubstantial enough to always leave room for that sliver of doubt...to me it feels like this has to be by design, like we're not truly meant to be able to prove any of this.

For me, I KNOW that what I experienced was real. I know that I was awake when I saw those people enter my room, I know that I didn't move my record player myself, I know that when I heard footsteps or breathing it wasn't just the house creaking. But sadly I'll never be able to prove it to anyone else, even to those who were in the house with me when I had those experiences, or had experiences of their own. It's just how these things go, I guess?

I think it's interesting how often paranormal experiences seem to have a very tenuous nature. It's as if the ghosts are doing it on purpose so that evidence of their existence can't be confirmed with any certainty! :p

But it's almost (but not quite) always the case that apparitions appear at night, or when people are in bed and so might be forced to question whether they were awake or asleep; objects moving on their own are so subtle that you find yourself wondering if you simply forgot that you'd moved it; attempts at recording paranormal phenomena are insubstantial enough to always leave room for that sliver of doubt...to me it feels like this has to be by design, like we're not truly meant to be able to prove any of this.

For me, I KNOW that what I experienced was real. I know that I was awake when I saw those people enter my room, I know that I didn't move my record player myself, I know that when I heard footsteps or breathing it wasn't just the house creaking. But sadly I'll never be able to prove it to anyone else, even to those who were in the house with me when I had those experiences, or had experiences of their own. It's just how these things go, I guess?

I've read contradictory things on ghosts - that they are mostly seen when people are in bed and also that they are generally seen in daylight and often, initially, mistaken for actual people. Those seen when people are in bed could often be hypnagogic or hypnopompic imagery, with sleep paralysis falling into the latter.

Moving objects is more "objective" I suppose in that actual objects are involved. I think these things happen, I don't know what they are, some tales of ghostly goings on I believe are true and some are people who have perhaps experienced dream states or are simply confused - they have forgotten where they left something. It's also easy to scare yourself - noises in the night etc.

In your case there are many instances of different varieties and multiple witnesses over many years: if it were simply one or even two things it could be potentially dismissed, on the other hand, I think one of my friends may be mistaken or slightly "playing up" the moving stuff in his house. I think you have genuinely experienced multiple weird things but there are also some who "KNOW" they've experienced something weird where I would be sceptical, I wouldn't say this to them though - there's no point in upsetting people.

[QUOTE="

Would love to hear what you all think about my experience and thanks for reading![/QUOTE]

Interesting post. Welcome to the board Starbuck.

The house I live in at the moment is a Fortean free zone, however the house we moved out from back in 2016 had many weird happening’s - some of which I have posted on this forum.

Did you feel scared each time one of these events happened, or only sometimes.?

I ask that because when things happened in my old place, it came with a feeling if that makes sense. Sometimes we’d shrug our shoulders and wouldn’t worry about it, but at other times we’d be bricking it.

We were there for 11 years, and a lot of the stuff that happened was in the early years of us living there. As the years rolled by whatever it was that was there seemed to mellow towards us in time. I know that sounds a bit daft, but that's the only way I can think of to explain it.

[QUOTE="

Would love to hear what you all think about my experience and thanks for reading!

The house I live in at the moment is a Fortean free zone, however the house we moved out from back in 2016 had many weird happening’s - some of which I have posted on this forum.

I ask that because when things happened in my old place, it came with a feeling if that makes sense. Sometimes we’d shrug our shoulders and wouldn’t worry about it, but at other times we’d be bricking it.

We were there for 11 years, and a lot of the stuff that happened was in the early years of us living there. As the years rolled by whatever it was that was there seemed to mellow towards us in time. I know that sounds a bit daft, but that's the only way I can think of to explain it.[/QUOTE]

Could you post a link to your posts about your previous house please DT?

We were there for 11 years, and a lot of the stuff that happened was in the early years of us living there. As the years rolled by whatever it was that was there seemed to mellow towards us in time. I know that sounds a bit daft, but that's the only way I can think of to explain it.

Could you post a link to your posts about your previous house please DT?[/QUOTE]

Gladly OG. If I can work out how to do it. I'm very Luddite.

The posts are on IHTM under the Shadows and Oddness thread.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/shadows-oddness.63668/post-1799611

I've read contradictory things on ghosts - that they are mostly seen when people are in bed and also that they are generally seen in daylight and often, initially, mistaken for actual people. Those seen when people are in bed could often be hypnagogic or hypnopompic imagery, with sleep paralysis falling into the latter.
I consider myself extremely fortunate to have never suffered from sleep paralysis because it sounds absolutely horrific!

I've also never heard of people seeing ghosts in daylight and mistaking them for real people - but I find this notion absolutely fascinating! And now it makes me wonder how many people I might have simply walked past without noticing that they were actually ghosts!

Moving objects is more "objective" I suppose in that actual objects are involved.
I personally would like to believe that there is a scientific explanation for this...we just don't have the actual scientific language yet to explain it. But if you know anything about quantum physics then you might have heard of a phenomenon called 'quantum tunnelling' which is where a particle passes through a seemingly impenetrable energy barrier. If we were able to observe this in action then it might appear to us as if the particle simply disappeared and then reappeared somewhere else.

but there are also some who "KNOW" they've experienced something weird where I would be sceptical, I wouldn't say this to them though - there's no point in upsetting people.
Of course. I'm far too British to upset anyone :p

But I think you're right that, when people have experienced something paranormal, no matter the circumstances, they do just KNOW, instinctively, that it was real. I often question whether I dreamed some of my experiences but then at the same time, I know the difference between a dream and a real, waking experience, even if I can't express my conviction adequately in words.

Thank you. You've all made me feel very welcome! :)

I was terrified when things happened. But then again, I was a small child for the worst of it whose parents didn't seem to believe me.

Although like I mentioned in my initial post, as I've grown older I've realised that they possibly tried to explain away my experiences partly for my protection (because admitting they had really happened would be admitting to me that there was something wrong with the house) and partly for their own!

That doesn't sound daft at all, the same exact thing happened for me! And I think possibly that was because as a child I was more 'open' to these experiences, whereas as I grew older, I was either less appealing as a target or more capable of just brushing things off and pretending that they hadn't happened.

But again, as I said in my initial post, I find it crazy when I look back to think that we stayed in that house for 16 years! If you told me now that my house was haunted I'd be out of there like a shot!!! But then it's weird how, when you're in the middle of a situation like that, it kind of becomes the new normal, like how you said you'd just brush some things off. Like, there's nothing I can do about this so I might as well just accept it?

I consider myself extremely fortunate to have never suffered from sleep paralysis because it sounds absolutely horrific!

I've also never heard of people seeing ghosts in daylight and mistaking them for real people - but I find this notion absolutely fascinating! And now it makes me wonder how many people I might have simply walked past without noticing that they were actually ghosts!

I personally would like to believe that there is a scientific explanation for this...we just don't have the actual scientific language yet to explain it. But if you know anything about quantum physics then you might have heard of a phenomenon called 'quantum tunnelling' which is where a particle passes through a seemingly impenetrable energy barrier. If we were able to observe this in action then it might appear to us as if the particle simply disappeared and then reappeared somewhere else.

Of course. I'm far too British to upset anyone :p

But I think you're right that, when people have experienced something paranormal, no matter the circumstances, they do just KNOW, instinctively, that it was real. I often question whether I dreamed some of my experiences but then at the same time, I know the difference between a dream and a real, waking experience, even if I can't express my conviction adequately in words.

Was there one part of the house that was more active than other parts Starbuck…? Your post has jogged my memory slightly.

In our old place, there was no specific part of the house where we experienced things, but the spare bedroom was very unpleasant at times.

The fact that it was used as a spare bedroom says it all, as my youngest daughter refused to sleep in there. In the end we moved her bed out and she shared a room with her elder Sister.

If I’d been out for the evening and had come home late, I would sleep in there so as to not disturb Mrs DT, but whatever was experienced I would had been the influence so that doesn’t count – also I wouldn’t have remembered anyway ‘cos I would have been really pissed.:D

I do remember one evening however, when the wife and I had had a bit of a spat, and she declared that she was spending the night in the spare room. Less than 5 minutes later she came running into our room, stating that she’d rather spend the night with a festering lump of lard, than spend another second in that room.

The festering lump of lard being me of course. :agree:

Was there one part of the house that was more active than other parts Starbuck…? Your post has jogged my memory slightly.
Hmm, I'd say things happened upstairs far more than they happened downstairs...although there could be many reasons for that, the main one being it was far more likely for a person to be alone upstairs...and these things do seem to like to catch us when isolated!

In our old place, there was no specific part of the house where we experienced things, but the spare bedroom was very unpleasant at times.

The fact that it was used as a spare bedroom says it all, as my youngest daughter refused to sleep in there. In the end we moved her bed out and she shared a room with her elder Sister.

If I’d been out for the evening and had come home late, I would sleep in there so as to not disturb Mrs DT, but whatever was experienced I would had been the influence so that doesn’t count – also I wouldn’t have remembered anyway ‘cos I would have been really pissed.:D

I do remember one evening however, when the wife and I had had a bit of a spat, and she declared that she was spending the night in the spare room. Less than 5 minutes later she came running into our room, stating that she’d rather spend the night with a festering lump of lard, than spend another second in that room.

The festering lump of lard being me of course. :agree:
Ouch! XD

That does sound terrifying though! Did your wife ever say what had happened to send her running back into your room? Or was it just a bad feeling in the spare bedroom?

I've just read your posts that you linked above on the other thread and find it interesting that you say the occurances were more frequent when your child(ren?) was small. That's exactly how things seemed to be for me too, that the older I got, the fewer things I experienced. I've read a lot about children, and also pets, being more aware of paranormal phenomena and wonder if that had anything to do with it?

I tend to recall actual events more than feelings or atmospheres in my old house. That's not to say that I didn't experience uneasy feelings while I was there...but it's not what sticks in the mind after all these years.

Interestingly, the house we moved into after this one also gave us a few spooky experiences, although this time it was my brother, who is 15 years younger than me, who experienced the most there. I've never had a dog or a cat, but my nan had a dog and had some creepy goings on in her house as well!

Hmm, I'd say things happened upstairs far more than they happened downstairs...although there could be many reasons for that, the main one being it was far more likely for a person to be alone upstairs...and these things do seem to like to catch us when isolated!

Ouch! XD

That does sound terrifying though! Did your wife ever say what had happened to send her running back into your room? Or was it just a bad feeling in the spare bedroom?

I've just read your posts that you linked above on the other thread and find it interesting that you say the occurances were more frequent when your child(ren?) was small. That's exactly how things seemed to be for me too, that the older I got, the fewer things I experienced. I've read a lot about children, and also pets, being more aware of paranormal phenomena and wonder if that had anything to do with it?

I tend to recall actual events more than feelings or atmospheres in my old house. That's not to say that I didn't experience uneasy feelings while I was there...but it's not what sticks in the mind after all these years.

Interestingly, the house we moved into after this one also gave us a few spooky experiences, although this time it was my brother, who is 15 years younger than me, who experienced the most there. I've never had a dog or a cat, but my nan had a dog and had some creepy goings on in her house as well!

I never made a connection between what was happening in the house and my two children Starbuck. Interestingly though, once the house had calmed down (after several years), my wife fell pregnant with my now 7 year old son, but we had no more real trouble.

In any case I never believed that whatever it was, was malign, it was more mischievous and playful than anything.

I’ve posted this somewhere on here, but on the day we sold the place, the boiler went on the blink. A few weeks earlier I had signed legal papers to say that the boiler was in good operation and had never caused us any issues, so you can imagine I was a bit peeved.

I went to my next door neighbour (who had the exact same model) for advise, and he came in the house and took the casing off the boiler, he took one look at it and smiled – someone had manually switched the boiler off from behind the casing.

I had never taken the casing off that boiler, I didn’t have the right tools to do so, nor would have the missus or the kids (obviously)

I did ask him if there was anywhere else within the house that could have switched the boiler off externally, but he said no. The only way to switch that boiler off was to take the casing off and do it yourself.

It was the last trick the house played upon us

I never made a connection between what was happening in the house and my two children Starbuck. Interestingly though, once the house had calmed down (after several years), my wife fell pregnant with my now 7 year old son, but we had no more real trouble.
Okay, the parallels here are actually quite spooky! Are your other two children both girls, by any chance? Me and my sister are both girls with only a 3 year age gap, whereas my brother is 16 years younger than me and was also born shortly before we moved out and also didn't seem to trigger any additional occurances when he arrived!

I’ve posted this somewhere on here, but on the day we sold the place, the boiler went on the blink. A few weeks earlier I had signed legal papers to say that the boiler was in good operation and had never caused us any issues, so you can imagine I was a bit peeved.

I went to my next door neighbour (who had the exact same model) for advise, and he came in the house and took the casing off the boiler, he took one look at it and smiled – someone had manually switched the boiler off from behind the casing.

I had never taken the casing off that boiler, I didn’t have the right tools to do so, nor would have the missus or the kids (obviously)

I did ask him if there was anywhere else within the house that could have switched the boiler off externally, but he said no. The only way to switch that boiler off was to take the casing off and do it yourself.

It was the last trick the house played upon us
So I have a (possibly crazy, lol) theory that houses 'know' when we're about to leave them. I've moved around a lot and almost every single house I can recall living in had something weird happen on the day we moved out, even if there had been absolutely no activity of any kind prior to that.

I lived with my sister and her daughter for a few years and the first house we moved out of, right as we were leaving, I went into the attic (converted into a bedroom) to check we hadn't left anything behind and heard a massive crash from the corner of the room while I was standing right across from it. No weird experiences to speak of before that for the 2 years we'd lived there.

The second house my niece was still quite young so we used to sleep with the landing light on all night. On our final night in the house both myself and my sister got up several times to find the landing light switched off. Then we'd switch it back on and a couple of hours later it would be off again.

The third house was the first I had shared with my wife (also with my sister and niece for a very brief period before they got settled into their own place). It was also the house where my mum passed away, which was why we moved. On our final day in that one, I was vacuuming the front room once it had been emptied of all our stuff, switched the vacuum off and it switched itself back on again!

I have no idea what to make of this, but it's definitely been a repeating pattern!

These phenomena almost always seem more mischievous than malign. I can well imagine that if you lived somewhere weirdness often occurred, once you realise no harm will come, you'd come to accept it as a kind of norm.

I've mentioned previously about a flat I lived in years ago where we'd regularly find glass fragments as if something had been dropped & smashed there. The fragments were always tiny though, much smaller than you'd get if you'd actually dropped a glass object - there were never any large pieces.

We'd both have to be out for it to happen. Never woke up to find a fresh one in the morning.

Nothing scary about it, just weird. Didn't have any apparitions though.

Fantastic post, @Starbuck ! I don't suppose there's any way of finding out who the apparitions might have been at this remove, is there? I like to think your mum was trying not to scare you and your sister, which suggests she had seen things herself.

... But the thing that truly scares me about this event was my dad's reaction. There appeared to be no confusion on what the noise might have been or what might have caused the door to slam like it did, he simply leaped out of bed and pushed me over to his side, then laid himself down between the cupboard and myself. It was as if he'd seen it happen before or it was a familiar occurence to him. It also confirmed for me that I hadn't dreamed or imagined it.
the way i read that, was more like "will you stop dicking around with the cupboard ive got to be up at 5 for work"

what do you think he thought caused the door to slam, did he ever outright refer to anything inexplicable ?

These phenomena almost always seem more mischievous than malign. I can well imagine that if you lived somewhere weirdness often occurred, once you realise no harm will come, you'd come to accept it as a kind of norm.
Yeah, you're totally right. I guess it's easy to get suckered into the 'classic' image of hauntings occuring in huge, dusty old mansions where their occupants eventually leave everything behind to run, screaming, into the night. But realistically, so few people can ever afford to do that (or would ever want to).

And yeah, I don't think there was ever anything particularly malicious about my old house either, although that didn't make it any less terrifying for child-me! But then the fact that these things didn't happen on a daily basis also helped to lull us into a false sense of security, like, once a month or two of calm passes it becomes easier to believe that it was just a 'phase' or even that you imagined it all!

I've mentioned previously about a flat I lived in years ago where we'd regularly find glass fragments as if something had been dropped & smashed there. The fragments were always tiny though, much smaller than you'd get if you'd actually dropped a glass object - there were never any large pieces.

We'd both have to be out for it to happen. Never woke up to find a fresh one in the morning.

Nothing scary about it, just weird. Didn't have any apparitions though.
That's really weird! Did you ever get them analysed or anything like that?

Was there any evidence that the wall they walked thru used to have a door in it? It could serve as unusual knowledge that will reinforce the validity of your sighting if you can prove that there used to be a door where now none exists (on the basis of what you saw).

Fantastic post, @Starbuck ! I don't suppose there's any way of finding out who the apparitions might have been at this remove, is there? I like to think your mum was trying not to scare you and your sister, which suggests she had seen things herself.
Thank you :)

You know, it never actually occurred to me to investigate who the apparitions were! But then I was so young when it happened and my visual memory of them has got so hazy over the years, so while I can recall their general appearance and clothes in detail, I can no longer really remember their faces. I want to say that the woman looked similar to my mum, similar hairstyle and colour, but that it definitely wasn't my mum. Thinking about it some more, I guess the girl's long, blonde hair was also similar to my sister's! I have no idea what that might mean!

And sadly, I wouldn't have a clue how to even start trying to find any more details now, not with such vague information!

the way i read that, was more like "will you stop dicking around with the cupboard ive got to be up at 5 for work"

what do you think he thought caused the door to slam, did he ever outright refer to anything inexplicable ?
Haha! That is actually completely believable for my dad! Like he'd just find the whole thing a big nuisance! I dunno, I feel like I can recall a slight sense of alarm from him when it happened, but I honestly don't know now if that's true or just my mind trying to dramatise the whole thing.

You know, I've been thinking about my parents a lot since reading both of your posts and one thing that's really bugging me is that I can't recall ever having a conversation with either of them about it while we were in the house. I mean, I can remember telling them about specific incidents as they happened and them both trying to offer plausible explanations to calm me down. But as far as just a general conversation, you know, like "So this house is definitely haunted then, right?", I don't remember a single one! What makes it even weirder is that I DO remember plenty of other conversations we had around ghosts, both my mum and my dad, and also my nan (on my mum's side) had experienced stuff when they were younger and they were always telling me stories about it. So it feels obvious that we would also have discussed that particular house. But if we did then, for whatever reason, I seem to have blocked it out completely!

The next time I see my sister I'll ask her if she can remember anything like this.

Now, after we moved out there were plenty of times that I discussed it with my mum and she discussed it with others in front of me. In fact, it became one of her favourite conversation starters for a while, "My kids say our house used to be haunted, but I never saw or heard anything!" But with my dad...nothing! And for whatever reason that becomes more and more strange and unsettling to me every time that I consider it!

Was there any evidence that the wall they walked thru used to have a door in it? It could serve as unusual knowledge that will reinforce the validity of your sighting if you can prove that there used to be a door where now none exists (on the basis of what you saw).
I've considered that as a possibility over the years but I honestly have no idea if there's any truth to it or not. I hedge on the side of saying no though, purely because that particular wall led to the back garden, so for there to have been a door there would have meant that the house was at one time bigger and part of it had since been knocked down, and considering that this was a council house and not one that we owned, I can't see such huge structural changes ever being made (and none of the other identical houses on the street had any extra rooms).

Now I have no idea what had been on that land prior to this house being built. If there was a different building there at one time, it might have had a different/larger footprint? That's definitely something I could look into...although I'm not sure where would be the best place to start?

Yeah, you're totally right. I guess it's easy to get suckered into the 'classic' image of hauntings occuring in huge, dusty old mansions where their occupants eventually leave everything behind to run, screaming, into the night. But realistically, so few people can ever afford to do that (or would ever want to).

And yeah, I don't think there was ever anything particularly malicious about my old house either, although that didn't make it any less terrifying for child-me! But then the fact that these things didn't happen on a daily basis also helped to lull us into a false sense of security, like, once a month or two of calm passes it becomes easier to believe that it was just a 'phase' or even that you imagined it all!

That's really weird! Did you ever get them analysed or anything like that?

No, it never occurred to us - just one of those things. If it were to happen now I'd consider collecting the fragments to do so. It'd probably come back as "it's just glass".

my point being, he placed himself between you and the cupboard to curtail your mischief
Ahh, sorry, I misunderstood you! It's possible, I guess, but I really don't think that was the case.

However, that does remind me of another time when my dad was up and getting ready for work and I got up to use the bathroom and came stumbling down the corridor in my long, white nightdress. I'm pretty sure that, for a brief instant my dad mistook me for a ghost judging by the choice language he hurled in my direction, lol!

Back