• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Judging by a lot of posts on the Ghosts subforum, this happens a lot. I like to think it's the pets saying "It's OK, don't worry, I'm fine!"
There were 3 interesting (well, I thought they were) captures on video of what appeared to be the ghosts (echoes?) of recently departed dogs (all 3 beloved pets, very much missed by their owners) included in last week's episode of "Paranormal : Caught on Camera" - which I love - sue me - on the Blaze TV channel. In all 3 cases, the owners were of the opinion that what they saw was their dog paying them a final visit to say "it's ok, I'm fine" type of thing, which they seemed to take great comfort from. Who knows? Maybe animals can do that. And if THEY can do it........

Last edited:
Thank you all. the shit part of having animal companions is that no matter how long we have them in our lives it’s never long enough. We are all missing Zoom terribly. Even my husband who liked to loudly proclaim “it’s not my dog. I never wanted a dog!” but who would also bring toys and treats home for him every week, have full on one sided conversations with him, and spent hours cuddled up on the sofa with the dog.

here is a photo of the “furry little freak” (he did have ears. Honest. It’s just that he got worried whenever I pointed a camera or phone in his direction because it usually meant I was going to put a daft hat or something on him for my amusement. His “oh ffs not again” face
2E1F9B6A-D31F-454A-8F7B-21818945CE33.jpeg

Edit: Just 30 seconds after I pressed enter on this post the phone rang. It was the vets informing me that Zoom‘s ashes were now ready to be collected. So there ya go. That’s my own minor strangeness for today.

Last edited:
Thank you all. the shit part of having animal companions is that no matter how long we have them in our lives it’s never long enough. We are all missing Zoom terribly. Even my husband who liked to loudly proclaim “it’s not my dog. I never wanted a dog!” but who would also bring toys and treats home for him every week, have full on one sided conversations with him, and spent hours cuddled up on the sofa with the dog.

here is a photo of the “furry little freak” (he did have ears. Honest. It’s just that he got worried whenever I pointed a camera or phone in his direction because it usually meant I was going to put a daft hat or something on him for my amusement. His “oh ffs not again” face
View attachment 42294

Edit: Just 30 seconds after I pressed enter on this post the phone rang. It was the vets informing me that Zoom‘s ashes were now ready to be collected. So there ya go. That’s my own minor strangeness for today.

Losing a beloved pet ain't easy, take care.

View attachment 42294

What a cutie. Xxx

So sorry for your loss. Bug hugs from me.

We have a 5 year old Bedlington Terrier and I can't imagine the sense of loss.

If you pick them up as puppies they look into your eyes with total trust and unconditional love. Unless you are a psychopath you fall in love with them on the spot.

This is our Dolly, or Lady Muck if you prefer.

03_ Dolly chilling Monday 24.05.21 copy.jpg

Sitting this morning working on the computer, I heard something reasonably heavy fall onto the floor in a different room. Walked all over my small house with the assistance of the cat who also heard it. Nothing out of place. Waiting to see what happens next.
This is a follow-up. I recently observed the window, a reasonably new storm window that goes up and down by stages when you push in on the handles on the bottom with little stops every few inches fall down on its own. Same noise. I'm not sure whether this actually solves anything.

View attachment 42294

He is so beautiful.

Today I biked a few miles out of town to pick up my car from t'garage after its dreaded MOT. All went well and I loaded t'moke into t'banger and set off for home.

After about a mile I pulled into a rural lay-by to look at my phone. As I was composing a reply to a message I heard two loud THUDs on the car roof right over my head.

Jumped out of my skin and thought 'Some twat's messin' about!' :mad:

Looked all around, expecting to see maybe a couple of giggling teenage boys speeding off on bikes; nobody in sight, no birds circling, absolutely no explanation for the bangs.

Didn't linger - laid rubber! :chuckle:

Today I biked a few miles out of town to pick up my car from t'garage after its dreaded MOT. All went well and I loaded t'moke into t'banger and set off for home.

After about a mile I pulled into a rural lay-by to look at my phone. As I was composing a reply to a message I heard two loud THUDs on the car roof right over my head.

Looked all around, expecting to see maybe a couple of giggling teenage boys speeding off on bikes; nobody in sight, no birds circling, absolutely no explanation for the bangs.

Ghost pigeons?

Falling acorns or pine cones?

Were you possibly anywhere near a live firing range of some sort?
The noise of large artillery shells being fired can carry for quite some distance and have a distinctive, heavy 'thud' sound.

Were you possibly anywhere near a live firing range of some sort?
The noise of large artillery shells being fired can carry for quite some distance and have a distinctive, heavy 'thud' sound.
Nope, and I know the area well. The sound seemed to come from over my head.

Some places have mystery hums.
You happened to be in the place for mystery thuds.

... After about a mile I pulled into a rural lay-by to look at my phone. As I was composing a reply to a message I heard two loud THUDs on the car roof right over my head. ...
Were the car windows open or closed?

Wondering what time of the year it was? It may well have been a couple of wild apples? Easy way to check it would be if you revisited the lay-by to confirm an apple trees existence 'escargot.'

I would say it was the heat and the car roof responding to a change in temperature.

But I've heard too many Sasquatch Chronicles episodes with similar reports, and so I expect it was a sasquatch throwing things at you (they do that, they're a bit like poltergeists).

(I don't suppose there are many sasqui in your area though).

sasqui in your area
AFAIK scargs is somewhere in the peak district.
So if anything, the ape-man of Matlock* would be the most likely candidate.

*Ape-man of Matlock imagined in a creative way and not intended to be a representation of any actual hominid, dead or alive.

Here is the exact location on Google Earth.
I wasn't under the tree.

Layby

What happened was that I'd pulled in from the west, glanced at the message and then thought 'Crikey, the traffic's fast along'ere! If anyone else pulls into the lay-by at that speed they won't see me past the hedge!'

So I did a 3-point turn to re-position ready to set off back the way I'd come. As I did this I was thinking about what to reply to the message.

When I was at right angles to the road, about to start the next manoeuvre, I heard the two loud bangs above my head.
I could see both directions on the lane and had of course already had a good look around for people/obstacles before backing up.

What's really struck me about this was how I felt at the time. When I couldn't see where the sound came from I didn't get out and inspect the car or laugh about those dastardly pigeons; I just couldn't get away fast enough and drove off ASAP along a road I normally avoid like the plague.

It was as if the concern I'd had about being hit by an oncoming vehicle had actually been expressed by the sound.
In other words, I experienced a true panic. Not like me at all!

I wasn't under the tree.

Layby

What happened was that I'd pulled in from the west, glanced at the message and then thought 'Crikey, the traffic's fast along'ere! If anyone else pulls into the lay-by at that speed they won't see me past the hedge!'

So I did a 3-point turn to re-position ready to set off back the way I'd come. As I did this I was thinking about what to reply to the message.

When I was at right angles to the road, about to start the next manoeuvre, I heard the two loud bangs above my head.
I could see both directions on the lane and had of course already had a good look around for people/obstacles before backing up.

What's really struck me about this was how I felt at the time. When I couldn't see where the sound came from I didn't get out and inspect the car or laugh about those dastardly pigeons; I just couldn't get away fast enough and drove off ASAP along a road I normally avoid like the plague.

It was as if the concern I'd had about being hit by an oncoming vehicle had actually been expressed by the sound.
You've been Panned.

I wasn't under the tree.

Layby

This reminded me of a similar thing that happened to me years ago. I was around 18 or 19 at the time. A friend of mine had recently passed his car test and so, with this new freedom, we decided to go on a drive to find a ruined priory deep in the Hertfordshire countryside. I think it had featured in a local paper at the time saying it was haunted by a hooded figure (!)
We drove around for ages trying to find it and after going around in circles for a while (we didn't have a very detailed map!) we decided to give up as it was late in the year and the light was beginning to go.
Another friend had come along with us and I was sitting in the back on my own with my two friends in the front. My friend started heading for home and after only a minute or so we heard a very loud thump on top of the car -like someone hitting it very hard with their fist. It made us all jump out of our skin and my two friends immediately thought it was me messing around somehow but I had been sitting in the middle of the rear seats with my hands behind my head. It was loud enough for us to go back and see if we could see anything but it was a wide-ish B road with no big trees overhead and there was no obvious explanation. I don't remember any other cars around either. There was very probably a rational explanation but given our reason for the trip we all felt a bit un-nerved by it and didn't hang around too long.

This reminded me of a similar thing that happened to me years ago. I was around 18 or 19 at the time. A friend of mine had recently passed his car test and so, with this new freedom, we decided to go on a drive to find a ruined priory deep in the Hertfordshire countryside. I think it had featured in a local paper at the time saying it was haunted by a hooded figure (!)
We drove around for ages trying to find it and after going around in circles for a while (we didn't have a very detailed map!) we decided to give up as it was late in the year and the light was beginning to go.
Another friend had come along with us and I was sitting in the back on my own with my two friends in the front. My friend started heading for home and after only a minute or so we heard a very loud thump on top of the car -like someone hitting it very hard with their fist. It made us all jump out of our skin and my two friends immediately thought it was me messing around somehow but I had been sitting in the middle of the rear seats with my hands behind my head. It was loud enough for us to go back and see if we could see anything but it was a wide-ish B road with no big trees overhead and there was no obvious explanation. I don't remember any other cars around either. There was very probably a rational explanation but given our reason for the trip we all felt a bit un-nerved by it and didn't hang around too long.
Sounds very familiar! I'd been half-expecting a car to hurtle round the hedge and hit me, and you'd been on a ghost - hunt.

I wasn't under the tree.

Layby

Weird, or What? Look Up. . . :dunno:Ha!

Weird or What!.jpg
(*Actually, it's a spot on the lens of their camera!)

Last edited:
Back