• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

hmm - sort of low-level mysterious, it does look a lot like a coat/jacket outline, could it be some change in humidity or air pressure or something like that making it show up? What about the water-table? if the ground underneath had less moisture than usual it could lighten the shade of grey of the slabs slightly - so the relatively dark image is revealed? If a jacket was sprayed with a waterproofing agent and there was overspray there might be a similar effect? dunno.
This does seem to be as good an explaination as any but on the other hand @Floyd1 would propbably remember that if it was sone recently. If it was done awhile back maybe it just needed the right ground humidity for it to manifest? There again if it wasn't him or a member of his family would it really not have appeared for 18years?

I can imagine a member of his family having done it and now doesnt want to own up as they are enjoying his puzzlement. :)

hmm - sort of low-level mysterious, it does look a lot like a coat/jacket outline, could it be some change in humidity or air pressure or something like that making it show up? What about the water-table? if the ground underneath had less moisture than usual it could lighten the shade of grey of the slabs slightly - so the relatively dark image is revealed? If a jacket was sprayed with a waterproofing agent and there was overspray there might be a similar effect? dunno.
This does seem to be as good an explaination as any but on the other hand @Floyd1 would propbably remember that if it was sone recently. If it was done awhile back maybe it just needed the right ground humidity for it to manifest? There again if it wasn't him or a member of his family would it really not have appeared for 18years?

I can imagine a member of his family having done it and now doesnt want to own up as they are enjoying his puzzlement. :)
Thanks for the input guys. As well as your theories, I suppose someone could have used an old jacket as a dust-sheet? (a bit odd but not impossible). As for it not appearing (or me not noticing it), other than your ideas, I just don't know. There's only Mrs Floyd and the dog here and it wouldn't suprise me if the dog has done it just to drive me mad. I really hoped it was some kind of alien 'marker' for abduction. Not that I want to be probed or anything, just thought it would be nice to leave the human race for a while. I suppose I'll just have to settle for Cromer instead eh, Swifty?

Was in Winchester earlier and saw this, not sure whether it's a time travelling bus or just a really slow one.

20210830_141507 (2).png

Ringworm, usually.

I have very very short hair because I hate having to fuss about with it. When I was training for my half marathon I lost a lot of weight dramatically fast, and the combination caused many many people to assume I had been in treatment for cancer...
Glad that they were wrong! :)

Last edited:
Ringworm, usually.

I have very very short hair because I hate having to fuss about with it. When I was training for my half marathon I lost a lot of weight dramatically fast, and the combination caused many many people to assume I had been in treatment for cancer...
Strangely enough, I have very long hair because I hate having to fuss with it! Plait it and go, that's my MO...

Strangely enough, I have very long hair because I hate having to fuss with it! Plait it and go, that's my MO...
I don't suit hair. With long hair I look like a bloke in drag.

Just very minor but I'm wondering if some animals have more sense than humans.
I'm used to random humans stepping out as I'm driving so slow down a bit if I see any at the side.
This morning I noticed an old chap with his dog on a lead and a larger brown dog which I thought must be his.
They all stopped as I came past and waited. I looked into the rear mirror and the old man went one way and the loose dog ran into one of the houses and did not come back out so presumably it lived there.

some animals have more sense than humans
I've noticed that birds pecking at the corpse of some bit of roadkill will fly off before becoming part of the roadsurface themselves.
They do definitely have awareness of which direction approaching vehicles are coming from, how fast they are bearing down on them, and on which side of the road.
But pigeons are not that intelligent. I have hit a few pigeons before, even when I have managed to hit the brakes and slow right down before getting near to them.

I've noticed that birds pecking at the corpse of some bit of roadkill will fly off before becoming part of the roadsurface themselves.
They do definitely have awareness of which direction approaching vehicles are coming from, how fast they are bearing down on them, and on which side of the road.
But pigeons are not that intelligent. I have hit a few pigeons before, even when I have managed to hit the brakes and slow right down before getting near to them.
Years ago I spent my entire day driving up and down the (mainly) motorways of the UK and the crows (that must have grown up there) used to make me laugh. They'd stand right on the hard shoulder line, inches from the first lane, and not flinch one bit.

Yes, pigeons are downright stupid. But I think they've become noticeably more dopey over the last year. I've recently had a few near-misses with pigeons on the road, and on 1 occasion, a pigeon struck my windscreen (not broken, but pigeon was knocked out).

Don't know about pigeons, but some grouse are certainly stupid. I was driving the Yellowhead Highway between Prince George and Prince Rupert in B.C., Canada, some years ago; a grouse was sitting on the hard shoulder on the right hand side of the highway. If it had stayed there all would have been well, but no, the idiotic bird had to take off and fly right in front of me. There was a thump and a cloud of feathers. I pulled over and went back to check on the bird but it must have fallen right in front of a wheel; it was grrouseburger, spread over three or four feet of road surface. Pity, really; if had been in one piece it might have been worth salvaging, but as it was . . . .

Don't know about pigeons, but some grouse are certainly stupid. I was driving the Yellowhead Highway between Prince George and Prince Rupert in B.C., Canada, some years ago; a grouse was sitting on the hard shoulder on the right hand side of the highway. If it had stayed there all would have been well, but no, the idiotic bird had to take off and fly right in front of me. There was a thump and a cloud of feathers. I pulled over and went back to check on the bird but it must have fallen right in front of a wheel; it was grrouseburger, spread over three or four feet of road surface. Pity, really; if had been in one piece it might have been worth salvaging, but as it was . . . .
I was watching 'Life Below Zero' the other week and someone was hunting grouse, on the hunters approach the birds flew into the lower branches of the spruce trees and stayed there, even when the hunter stood directly below it with their gun, suffice to say the hunter had grouse for dinner for the next few days.

Yes, pigeons are downright stupid. But I think they've become noticeably more dopey over the last year. I've recently had a few near-misses with pigeons on the road, and on 1 occasion, a pigeon struck my windscreen (not broken, but pigeon was knocked out).
OH heck .. has anyone tested them maybe they are dopey on account of suffering from avian corona! Bloody 'ell that would be avain flu on steroids. We're doomed I tell ye!

Sorry just letting my extremely negative emotions today leak out onto the board. :)

Anyway to lighten the mood here's a story about a 'downright stupid' moment of my own. Not that it's a minor strangeness or anything but well .

So I was doing a cryptic crossword and the clue was :-

'Bacon supplier takes an age to fly'

'mmmm pig and eon but what the hell is one of those? Perhaps it's part of an aeroplane like an aileron or something better look it up for future reference.'

'eh? 'common large black bird'? Well it can't be that bloody common or else I'd have h ......... Oh yer daft bugger!':hahazebs:

Sollywos x

I'll just stick up for the 'thick' animals here; they might not be stupid, they might just have instincts that didn't evolve for things like cars.

For instance, a lot of people think sheep are stupid for running in front of cars, and not turning off the road, but if it was a big cat or wolf behind them, a turn could be the end of them: it's just a misfiring instinct :)

I'll just stick up for the 'thick' animals here; they might not be stupid, they might just have instincts that didn't evolve for things like cars.

For instance, a lot of people think sheep are stupid for running in front of cars, and not turning off the road, but if it was a big cat or wolf behind them, a turn could be the end of them: it's just a misfiring instinct :)
I saw a prog recently concerning a shepherd and his dog herding sheep right next to a cliff with a sheer drop -Devon I think it was. It would have certainly been the case there for sure.

Deer will walk in front of a car or motor bike even to the point were
you give them a bump with the vehicle but you get out and as soon as
you separate your shape from the vehicle they are off, they just don't see
a vehicle as a threat.

Deer will walk in front of a car or motor bike even to the point were
you give them a bump with the vehicle but you get out and as soon as
you separate your shape from the vehicle they are off, they just don't see
a vehicle as a threat.
Possibly something to do with their size and that they don't see cars or bikes as more powerful? Cows seem to act similarly.

the Yellowhead Highway between Prince George and Prince Rupert in B.C., Canada
Would this be one of those Canadian roads that my brother sent me pictures of when he was holidaying there?
He realised that on the motorway he was driving on, for the preceding hour or more, he had not seen another vehicle, so he stopped his car on a long straight stretch, walked to the centre of the road, and took a photo in both directions.
Lovely, frost-covered, landscape either side of the road, but not another soul in sight, and the only tyre tracks on the road surface were his own.
He said that a lot of the places he went entailed driving for hours down empty highways.
Sounds divine.
But it doesn't sound like the levels of traffic that would educate the local wildlife.

This sounds like the Yellowhead. It was decades ago when I was there, but mile after mile of dead-straight two lanes . . . I was pulled over by the RCMP one time; apparently I drove past a radar scanner at 120km/hr where the limit was 90. The officer was sympathetic; I said that, on these long straight stretches with no other traffic it's just tempting to put your foot down. He issued me a warning, and we parted on good terms.

Back