• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Before our gorgeous rescue cat died unexpectedly, she was in the front yard when a Labrador on a long lead appeared through the gate. I was ready to grab her, but the two of them sat really close to each other, literally nose to nose, both wagging their tales. The dog's owner was amazed and like your incident the dog was very reluctant to leave her.
My son and daughter-in-law have a Pug and, on his morning walk, he regularly meets a large Persian cat.
Rather than a cacophony of barks and hisses, they touch noses, rub against each other and even sniff butts.

I went with my friend for a walk around Verulamium Park in St Albans yesterday afternoon (and I thoroughly recommend it for a nice walk around with all the Roman walls etc ,and the oldest pub in the UK), and as we walked past the lake I spotted that a mum with her young daughter had just finished feeding the ducks and geese, and they walked off, only for a whole load of ducks and geese to get out of the lake and start following them! Much like a bird based 'pied piper'. It was quite amusing to watch as the pair of them started to become aware of the following group of fowl and so quickened their pace to try and get away.

My son and daughter-in-law have a Pug and, on his morning walk, he regularly meets a large Persian cat.
Rather than a cacophony of barks and hisses, they touch noses, rub against each other and even sniff butts.
Oh my! A pug and a Persian must get VERY close to touch noses! :)

This is my strategy!
As mentioned before, I once rifled the place for my camera chargers and resorted in desperation to ordering new ones.
I was actually unwrapping the parcel when my eye fell on the box I keep the chargers in and I thought 'Why didn't I just look in there first?'
:rolleyes:

Yup, there they were, large as life.
I have no explanation for why I didn't go straight to the box. It was as if I couldn't see it.

Three/four weeks ago I was waiting for Mrs F outside a shop in town ('Refill your Boots' if you're interested next time you're over this way Scargy) - you take your own receptacle(s) and fill 'em up. Herbs and spices are a fraction of supermarket prices and taste better.

Anyway, I was sat on the stone window cill of the shop, waiting for 10-15 minutes. When she came out I stood up and then felt absolutely terrible. A shiver kept running down my spine every 5 seconds or so, I had a weird headache, and a general ill feeling allround. Got home and a bit later thought a warm shower would sort it- it didn't, and I still felt odd for a couple of days later. What is even odder though, is that whenever I think back to that day, I get the same horrible shiver.

Anyway, I was sat on the stone window cill of the shop, waiting for 10-15 minutes. When she came out I stood up and then felt absolutely terrible. A shiver kept running down my spine every 5 seconds or so, I had a weird headache, and a general ill feeling allround. Got home and a bit later thought a warm shower would sort it- it didn't, and I still felt odd for a couple of days later. What is even odder though, is that whenever I think back to that day, I get the same horrible shiver.
I had flu descend on me like that once, years ago. Ex and I had taken the children out for a walk in Yeovil, I was half-way through eating a Wethers Original and wandering around the lake when I suddenly went off the sweet and had to take it out of my mouth. By the time we got home I'd got a raging temperature and had to go straight to bed. It came out of nowhere. Fine one minute, feeling ill the next.

I had flu descend on me like that once, years ago. Ex and I had taken the children out for a walk in Yeovil, I was half-way through eating a Wethers Original and wandering around the lake when I suddenly went off the sweet and had to take it out of my mouth. By the time we got home I'd got a raging temperature and had to go straight to bed. It came out of nowhere. Fine one minute, feeling ill the next.
Those damn Werther's.
But, I wasn't 'bed-ridden ill' by any stretch, just this horrible shiver and headache and general feeling of crapness (medical term). The headache went after an hour or so.

Mum was recounting a tale from my childhood just the other day, in which she was looking after my brother and I plus nextdoors 2 girls, whilst their mum went shopping, she was doing a bit of tidying up and was heading upstairs when suddenly she was overcome by (to quote @Floyd1) crapness, to the point where, for the first time ever, she had to phone dad and get him to come home from work to look after us kids.

OK, now this is strange. Got up about half an hour ago, opened my curtains....and my bedroom window was closed.

Now it's been really hot and humid here at night, to the extent that I'm sleeping topless without a duvet. My window is open 24/7, the only time it is closed is when the window cleaner pushes it shut to clean (and they hadn't been yesterday or this morning). Every other window is open. The window was open when I closed the curtains last night, and it takes a fair old heave to close (like I said, it's probably rusted open). I'd woken in the night and thought it felt very airless, but then could feel a cool breeze so I settled down.

At some point between 9pm (when I drew the curtains) and 8am (when I opened them), the stiff, hard to shut window, has closed...

OK, now this is strange. Got up about half an hour ago, opened my curtains....and my bedroom window was closed.

Now it's been really hot and humid here at night, to the extent that I'm sleeping topless without a duvet. My window is open 24/7, the only time it is closed is when the window cleaner pushes it shut to clean (and they hadn't been yesterday or this morning). Every other window is open. The window was open when I closed the curtains last night, and it takes a fair old heave to close (like I said, it's probably rusted open). I'd woken in the night and thought it felt very airless, but then could feel a cool breeze so I settled down.

At some point between 9pm (when I drew the curtains) and 8am (when I opened them), the stiff, hard to shut window, has closed...

Without wishing to alarm you, are there any signs of activity outside the window, e.g. foot- or ladder imprints in soil, discarded items, etc.?

maximus otter

Without wishing to alarm you, are there any signs of activity outside the window, e.g. foot- or ladder imprints in soil, discarded items, etc.?

maximus otter
No. It's really not that kind of place (besides which the kitchen window was open all night, and a lot easier entry) and I have a spring-loaded terrier who goes off if someone coughs at the end of the village.

Blimey. This is a strange one. Just thinking out loud- I sometimes find myself doing something like say cleaning my teeth, but have no recollection of going into the bathroom to do it- sort of auto pilot I suppose. Did it rain your way last eve or in the night- and you got up half asleep (not sleepwalking, just a bit groggy) and shut it?

Blimey. This is a strange one. Just thinking out loud- I sometimes find myself doing something like say cleaning my teeth, but have no recollection of going into the bathroom to do it- sort of auto pilot I suppose. Did it rain your way last eve or in the night- and you got up half asleep (not sleepwalking, just a bit groggy) and shut it?

- Or a noisy nabe coming home from the pub at 0100 causing you to shut the window?

maximus otter

That would be the case where I live, but catseye says it's a village (which doesn't mean it that it doesn't have p***heads of course).
No, you're right, no pissheads, no noise at all after about ten*. And it was such a hot and humid night, in fact I woke up several times feeling too hot. I got up once for the loo, but the curtains were drawn so I never even looked at the window. Because of nearly always being open, it's quite stiff to shut, so it's not something I could do without thinking, if you see what I mean.

*In fact, it was so warm, that had the massed pipe bands of the Highlanders come marching down the road at one a m, I probably still wouldn't have shut the window.

No, you're right, no pissheads, no noise at all after about ten*. And it was such a hot and humid night, in fact I woke up several times feeling too hot. I got up once for the loo, but the curtains were drawn so I never even looked at the window. Because of nearly always being open, it's quite stiff to shut, so it's not something I could do without thinking, if you see what I mean.

*In fact, it was so warm, that had the massed pipe bands of the Highlanders come marching down the road at one a m, I probably still wouldn't have shut the window.
Apart from the spooky window thing, your village sounds like my kind of place.
This is very intriguing. Was the actual handle locked down or was the window just pushed to?

Apart from the spooky window thing, your village sounds like my kind of place.
This is very intriguing. Was the actual handle locked down or was the window just pushed to?
It was just pushed shut. If I'd closed it myself I would have locked it (I think), that's what I usually do.

I was previously having mysterious opening issues with the downstairs cupboard door, but that, despite my having been in and out of the cupboard quite a bit these last couple of weeks, has resolutely stayed closed. It's just puzzling. A very minor strangeness.

It's a village of about a hundred residents, up on a hill away from main roads, the road that goes through it doesn't really go anywhere apart from other villages. We occasionally get scallies down from Teeside doing a bit of thieving or fly tipping, but even that is quite rare. My house looks over the local green, but there are houses on either side (terrace) who would notice if anything untoward was going on, and EVERYONE has a dog. Oh, and my front garden under the window is gravelled, so anyone standing under the window would make a scrunching noise which would DEFINITELY attract the attention of hair-trigger terrier.

'Tis a mild puzzlement.

It was just pushed shut. If I'd closed it myself I would have locked it (I think), that's what I usually do.

I was previously having mysterious opening issues with the downstairs cupboard door, but that, despite my having been in and out of the cupboard quite a bit these last couple of weeks, has resolutely stayed closed. It's just puzzling. A very minor strangeness.
Somebody inside, holding it shut? :eek:

It's a village of about a hundred residents, up on a hill away from main roads, the road that goes through it doesn't really go anywhere apart from other villages. We occasionally get scallies down from Teeside doing a bit of thieving or fly tipping, but even that is quite rare. My house looks over the local green, but there are houses on either side (terrace) who would notice if anything untoward was going on, and EVERYONE has a dog. Oh, and my front garden under the window is gravelled, so anyone standing under the window would make a scrunching noise which would DEFINITELY attract the attention of hair-trigger terrier.

'Tis a mild puzzlement.
I take it there would need to be a very strong breeze to push it shut?

Back