• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

That's an excellent theory. But there's nobody next door. It's been a weekend cottage for fifteen years. It's up for sale now, but at such a ridiculously inflated price that there's been nobody round in the two weeks since it hit Rightmove.
Estate agent showing people round?

That's an excellent theory. But there's nobody next door. It's been a weekend cottage for fifteen years. It's up for sale now, but at such a ridiculously inflated price that there's been nobody round in the two weeks since it hit Rightmove.
We should all club together and buy it! We could share it weekly between us. Obviously, until the tenners from you lot come in, you'll have to lend me my share.

Estate agent showing people round?
Nope. No activity at all. Nobody, clearly, is daft enough to look at the price they are asking. Everyone will wait until it comes down a good £30k. It's honestly ridiculously overpriced for the area, and the fact that it's a two bedroomed terrace, downstairs bathroom, night storage heating and in need of the kitchen and bathroom being ripped out. The electrics probably want doing too. No parking either, small garden and miles from the nearest shop, for £220k.
We should all club together and buy it! We could share it weekly between us. Obviously, until the tenners from you lot come in, you'll have to lend me my share.
I would LOVE to have you lot living next door! Except Swifty of course. But there's a very nice shed at the bottom of the garden for him.

Nope. No activity at all. Nobody, clearly, is daft enough to look at the price they are asking. Everyone will wait until it comes down a good £30k. It's honestly ridiculously overpriced for the area, and the fact that it's a two bedroomed terrace, downstairs bathroom, night storage heating and in need of the kitchen and bathroom being ripped out. The electrics probably want doing too. No parking either, small garden and miles from the nearest shop, for £220k.

I would LOVE to have you lot living next door! Except Swifty of course. But there's a very nice shed at the bottom of the garden for him.
How far away is the shed from the house?

downstairs bathroom, night storage heating and in need of the kitchen and bathroom being ripped out. The electrics probably want doing too. No parking either, small garden and miles from the nearest shop
Hmmm....you're not exactly selling it TBH....lol.
How far from North Norfolk is it anyway?

Yesterday whilst getting ready at about 10.30ish Saint and Greavies "It's a funny old game" popped into my head. Weird but hey ho I thought to myself, my brain is known to be acting up at the moment.
Just read this morning the Jimmy Greaves has passed away...

I was outside during the latter part of the dusk period last night and I noticed a bat flying around close to my house.
Hard to spot because at first I just noticed a small, silent, black something flit past me and the way it moved, and the time of the evening, I knew it wasn't a bird.
So I kept watching and after it had flown around a few times I managed to positively identify it as a very small bat.
Which is surprising really cos this is a residential area mainly constructed in the late 50s and early 60s.
There is, however, one of the oldest buildings in the area only a hundred yards, or so, away from me - the old Beehive Pub which the main part of the building dates back to early 1700s (or possibly earlier).
The pub has been empty since March 2020 when it shut during the pandemic.
There is also an abandoned 'accommodation' house on a plot of overgrown land adjacent to the pub which has been empty for over 20 years and is now quite dilapidated.
I'm guessing that either of those two buildings would be suitable for bats to take residence in as they would not get disturbed.
I'll see if I can add a picture of the area, below.

View attachment 45211

And a pic of the Beehive when it was actually a nice, proper pub.
Sad to see it so rundown now, all shuttered and overgrown with weeds.
All because some knob took over the lease, ran it as a vanity project cos he wanted a 'gastro pub' which alienated the locals who used to flock there previously, and he ended up with no customers at all.
View attachment 45212
It's happened a handful of times in our neck of the woods. Buy a successful family pub serving well priced great meals, "turn it round" and in short order lose all your customers. Mind you in one case it happened to a local, utterly obnoxious "millionaire" and I nearly wet myself laughing when I heard.

Strangely while viewing this thread, I heard the distinct sound of Cat 2.0 having a go at her scratch post. Went on, so I peered round the corner to find her not there. Cat 1.0 curled up next to me, and I find t'other fast asleep on the bed. Sit down and it happens again and then, and only then, Ms PeteS tells me it's the sound of my trainer gradually slipping on the wooden floor. Sometimes I think the whole world is taking the p**s.

Oh come on that's harsh! I mean, I realise that our Swifty is a 'minor strangeness' all on his own but he has a heart of gold! :)

Sollywos x

Last edited:
You beat me to it Floyd I was going to suggest the same thing! However in order to add my share and lend you your share I'll have to get on that 'millionaire' programme. I've been practising 'fastest finger first' and even though I can't stand the current host I'd put myself through it for you because your pleas for the 'tenners' are breaking my heart! :rofl:

Sollywos x

You beat me to it Floyd I was going to suggest the same thing! However in order to add my share and lend you your share I'll have to get on that 'millionaire' programme. I've been practising 'fastest finger first' and even though I can't stand the current host I'd put myself through it for you because your pleas for the 'tenners' are breaking my heart! :rofl:

Sollywos x
Excellent. I knew I could rely on you! I'd be bloody useless on quiz shows though. Even when I know the answer I often cannot for the life of me get it in time. Even worse in front of a live audience. I'd probably forget my name. Those people who go on Mastermind etc are crazy. And the added bonus of making a complete arse of yourself in front of millions of people and having to live with it until you die? No thanks!

Excellent. I knew I could rely on you! I'd be bloody useless on quiz shows though. Even when I know the answer I often cannot for the life of me get it in time. Even worse in front of a live audience. I'd probably forget my name. Those people who go on Mastermind etc are crazy. And the added bonus of making a complete arse of yourself in front of millions of people and having to live with it until you die? No thanks!
I have this problem. I know the answer to many things, but my brain will not produce instant recall. It works only when I'm not 'on the spot'.

I have this problem. I know the answer to many things, but my brain will not produce instant recall. It works only when I'm not 'on the spot'.
Ah, good, not just me then!
To be honest, I suspect that a lot (or most, if not all), of my memory problems are down to the vast intake of wine over the years, that has stunted the little 'grey cells' as Monsieur Poirot would say. Not that there were many there to start with I have to point out.

I suspect that a lot (or most, if not all), of my memory problems are down to the vast intake of wine over the years, that has stunted the little 'grey cells'…

giphy.gif

maximus otter

Ah, good, not just me then!
To be honest, I suspect that a lot (or most, if not all), of my memory problems are down to the vast intake of wine over the years, that has stunted the little 'grey cells' as Monsieur Poirot would say. Not that there were many there to start with I have to point out.
Not in my case, as I very rarely drink.
My brain just ended up this way naturally.

Oh I'd be hopeless in all the others but as long as you get through 'fastest finger' you are more or less guaranteed a grand on 'millionair' even if you need all your lives. No way would I go on 'The Chase' ! I was watching an episode the other day where 'The Beast' was having the problem of not being able to instantly recall stuff that he knew. Ah hah now he knows how the rest of us feel. Good!

Sollywos x

Not in my case, as I very rarely drink.
My brain just ended up this way naturally.
No offence M, but I read the first line as" Not in my case, as I very rarely think.":hahazebs: I'm reaching the point where I think that thinking is getting dangerous and a trait that I think is better avoided where possible.

No offence M, but I read the first line as" Not in my case, as I very rarely think.":hahazebs: I'm reaching the point where I think that thinking is getting dangerous and a trait that I think is better avoided where possible.
I think a LOT, PeteS! Maybe if I drank more, I'd think less.

Would this be one of those Canadian roads that my brother sent me pictures of when he was holidaying there?
He realised that on the motorway he was driving on, for the preceding hour or more, he had not seen another vehicle, so he stopped his car on a long straight stretch, walked to the centre of the road, and took a photo in both directions.
Lovely, frost-covered, landscape either side of the road, but not another soul in sight, and the only tyre tracks on the road surface were his own.
He said that a lot of the places he went entailed driving for hours down empty highways.
Sounds divine.
But it doesn't sound like the levels of traffic that would educate the local wildlife.
This reminds of a story from an Australian mate.
He was a motorbike nut in the early 80s, when sportsbikes were starting to become massively fast.

He bought the latest and greatest he could, and would head out into deserted territory. Arrow straight roads were dispatched at near top speed, holding it on the stop for a tank worth of fuel. Eighty miles at a time, 150mph not unusual.
Not seeing another vehicle for the entire time, loud exhaust pipe clearing the way, despite the Doppler effect.

He'd stop then, brain fried from speed, calibration off, muscles aching from maintaining the racing crouch. Ears ringing from the wind noise, he'd suck down a few tabs and try to calm his nerves. Heart rate returning to normal, he'd fill up at whatever outback station was reachable and then turn around and do it again.

He said he never thought it possible, but even 150mph gets boring after a while.

All only possible due to near pristine, utterly empty roads.

Apart from basking snakes of course. They were a bit tricky at three figure speeds.

This reminds of a story from an Australian mate.
He was a motorbike nut in the early 80s, when sportsbikes were starting to become massively fast.

He bought the latest and greatest he could, and would head out into deserted territory. Arrow straight roads were dispatched at near top speed, holding it on the stop for a tank worth of fuel. Eighty miles at a time, 150mph not unusual.
Not seeing another vehicle for the entire time, loud exhaust pipe clearing the way, despite the Doppler effect.

He'd stop then, brain fried from speed, calibration off, muscles aching from maintaining the racing crouch. Ears ringing from the wind noise, he'd suck down a few tabs and try to calm his nerves. Heart rate returning to normal, he'd fill up at whatever outback station was reachable and then turn around and do it again.

He said he never thought it possible, but even 150mph gets boring after a while.

All only possible due to near pristine, utterly empty roads.

Apart from basking snakes of course. They were a bit tricky at three figure speeds.
I'd have worried more about the 'roos. Not much left of either him or the roo after a 150mph collision.

Only joking. Although I did once read about Richard Burtons daily intake of vodka and that really is a minor strangeness as to how he was able to act and remember his lines. Or stand up for that matter.
I've mentioned my elderly friend John on here before. He used to perform as a stand up act in the Working Men's Clubs up here in the north, and worked with a lot of the late and greats, like Tommy Cooper, Les Dawson, Tony Hancock etc. Virtually ALL of the stories he tells me involve how much all of them used to drink. Many of the acts would sink a bottle of whisky, perform, then go on to drink another when they came off. I can only assume that they all had all developed a huge tolerance for alcohol to be able to remember any of their act!

I've mentioned my elderly friend John on here before. He used to perform as a stand up act in the Working Men's Clubs up here in the north, and worked with a lot of the late and greats, like Tommy Cooper, Les Dawson, Tony Hancock etc. Virtually ALL of the stories he tells me involve how much all of them used to drink. Many of the acts would sink a bottle of whisky, perform, then go on to drink another when they came off. I can only assume that they all had all developed a huge tolerance for alcohol to be able to remember any of their act!
A whole bottle of whisky would knock most people out. I guess some people do build up a tolerance.

Back