• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Call out to Giant R ; we have four fireplaces in the house- two downstairs and two up, but five chimney pots. Any ideas?
Bricked-up secret room! Who knows what's in there! :omg:

Last edited:
Call out to Giant R ; we have four fireplaces in the house- two downstairs and two up, but five chimney pots. Any ideas?
I wonder if you may have had an old solid fuel boiler in the kitchen that was taken out? That would have had a flue going straight into the wall with no visible fireplace at all? Quite common in houses right up to the early 1960s.

I wonder if you may have had an old solid fuel boiler in the kitchen that was taken out? That would have had a flue going straight into the wall with no visible fireplace at all? Quite common in houses right up to the early 1960s.
Right! Cheers G. Could it have possibly been outside (up against the chimney wall), as the kitchen isn't/wasn't next to the chimney area?

So I keep on getting woken up by phantom alarm clock sounds.

I still use an old fashioned alarm clock (deal with it). I usually set it for a certain time in the morning when I have to be getting up. However, there are some mornings when I judge that I can afford a bit of a lie in and I move the alarm forward to a later time in the morning. Or, if I am feeling under the weather, and don't have a morning class I might not set the alarm at all.

Yet I find that I am being woken by an apparent sound of the alarm - but one which is not the real alarm clock at all. Nor does it sound at the time when the alarm would be expected to (my initial assumption being that my `subconscious`` was filling in, as it were, for the absent alarm clock). Sometimes I `hear` an alarm sound at, say, five in the morning! And I've noticed that the sound doesn't sound the same as my alarm clock - it's like a kind of analogue alarm clock sound, different in pitch and tone.

Only this morning I heard the ring (don't know what hour it was) and I lay in bed listening to it for a short moment before it seemed to fade out - as though someone were turning the volume dial down.

Why is my subconscious gaslighting me like this?
Hypnopompic hallucinations?

Right! Cheers G. Could it have possibly been outside (up against the chimney wall), as the kitchen isn't/wasn't next to the chimney area?
They weren't normally outside unless there was an outbuilding now gone. Is it quite an old house? It could be a false chimney of course just for the looks - if you ever need any roof work done it would be good to drop a pebble down each one to see if you can hear it inside.

They weren't normally outside unless there was an outbuilding now gone. Is it quite an old house? It could be a false chimney of course just for the looks - if you ever need any roof work done it would be good to drop a pebble down each one to see if you can hear it inside.
Yes 1901. OK, I'll remember that! Cheers G.

I'm sure Russian building are very well built, but could it be from next door? Our joining wall is so thin (4''/100mm thick) brick and you can hear things like that very easily.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'd obviously thought of that but I really don't think so. The flat next door to me is currently untenanted and I hear nothing of the people upstairs. (If I could hear their alarm I would surely hear a lot of other things too). I think the sound is coming from within - as evidenced by the fact that it fades away as soon as I start to concentrate on it.
I won't 100 per cent rule out an external noise explanation as yet I'll try to be more alert when it next happens (which is a contradiction in terms!) - but I really doubt it.

Hypnopompic hallucinations?
That is precisely my assumption. The `sound` always occurs when I am in that half-sleeping/half waking stage (when some other people have reported `hearing` random conversations or other noises). It is accompanied by a feeling - a sort of `Oh, God, yeah. I've got to get up` kind of anxiety (even though I don't in these cases.).

What I find curious is that it's almost as if I'm being gaslighted by my own subconscious. Otherwise, why fixate on that particular sound?

What I find curious is that it's almost as if I'm being gaslighted by my own subconscious. Otherwise, why fixate on that particular sound?
I get the 'phantom vibrations' from my mobile phone - but I don't get them from where the phone actually is I get them from somewhere else on my body. Just lasting long enough for me to think 'oh, phone', and then realise that either I haven't got my phone on me, or it's in a different pocket.

I think it's your body's way of making sure you're still paying attention.

Just had a bit of an odd experience.

Went off on my usual lunchtime walk today, and as I tuned out of a very small back country lane onto a larger more used country lane, I noticed a man walking ahead of me about 30 yards in distance.

When I go on my walks I tend to walk hard and fast, so at some point I expect to pass the chap and as I do will probably make a pleasantry towards him.. However, I never caught the man up. No matter how hard I walked, I remained the 30 yards or so behind.

Eventually after about a mile and a half of this, we arrived at the next village, where there is a small (lawn green) bowling club. The man in front stopped walking and watched as a group of people were playing bowls, so I managed to catch him up that way. I glanced at him as I walked past and was shocked to see the man was at least in his mid-seventies.

I don’t think I am slowing down as I completed my walk in record time but, JHC that old man can march.

Maybe he was an ex-para or Royal Marine etc.

Just had a bit of an odd experience.

Went off on my usual lunchtime walk today, and as I tuned out of a very small back country lane onto a larger more used country lane, I noticed a man walking ahead of me about 30 yards in distance.

When I go on my walks I tend to walk hard and fast, so at some point I expect to pass the chap and as I do will probably make a pleasantry towards him.. However, I never caught the man up. No matter how hard I walked, I remained the 30 yards or so behind.

Eventually after about a mile and a half of this, we arrived at the next village, where there is a small (lawn green) bowling club. The man in front stopped walking and watched as a group of people were playing bowls, so I managed to catch him up that way. I glanced at him as I walked past and was shocked to see the man was at least in his mid-seventies.

I don’t think I am slowing down as I completed my walk in record time but, JHC that old man can march.

Maybe he was an ex-para or Royal Marine etc.
Yes, some old uns really can go. My Great Grandad was like a whippet and also cycled miles every day to work and back for years. (After the horrors of the Somme I suppose everything else was just gravy though). Also, 70/80/90 year olds aren't the same now as when I was younger. I know a couple of guys well in their 90s and they'd have been the equivalent of 65 year olds back then.

Minorly strange. Last night I had trouble getting to sleep. I was lying listening to an audio book, and was despairing of ever sleeping, when there was an almighty crash from the loft room above me. I got up, turned on the lights, went out of my room and the dog was lying on the landing staring at the ceiling. I went up to the loft and a set of framed photographs had fallen from a low table backwards off onto the floor. I have no idea why it waited until half past eleven at night to fall down, when it had been fairly securely sitting on the table since Monday (which was when I moved it to the table from where it had been resting on the bed while I cleaned the carpet).

Minorly strange. Last night I had trouble getting to sleep. I was lying listening to an audio book, and was despairing of ever sleeping, when there was an almighty crash from the loft room above me. I got up, turned on the lights, went out of my room and the dog was lying on the landing staring at the ceiling. I went up to the loft and a set of framed photographs had fallen from a low table backwards off onto the floor. I have no idea why it waited until half past eleven at night to fall down, when it had been fairly securely sitting on the table since Monday (which was when I moved it to the table from where it had been resting on the bed while I cleaned the carpet).
Was someone in one of those photographs trying to get your attention??

Was someone in one of those photographs trying to get your attention??
They are mostly photos of me and my brother when we were young and some of my children as babies. I think my mum is in one or two, but, knowing my mum, she'd have got my attention by writing 'Oy, you!' in blood on the bathroom mirror. Not one for subtlety, my mum.

Earlier today I was wondering what it was like to be stabbed, (as I keep reading about such crimes), so I prodded myself with my 8" kitchen knife just to get a 'feel' for what it might be like. I didn't draw blood, but I don't fancy going out that way to be honest. It doesn't half hurt. Try it.
I have twice dropped a carving knife, pointy bit down, onto my foot. (I am very clumsy) Extreme pain followed and I said to my husband afterwards that it would be sooo painful to be stabbed. Plus a big wound opened up and took ages to heal and scarred me for life!

I have twice dropped a carving knife, pointy bit down, onto my foot. (I am very clumsy) Extreme pain followed and I said to my husband afterwards that it would be sooo painful to be stabbed. Plus a big wound opened up and took ages to heal and scarred me for life!
You sound even more accident prone than I am!

That almost happened to me. I knocked a heavy, pointy knife off the work surface, but my reactions were reassuringly fast - I managed to pull my foot out of the way in time. I can't believe my reaction time is still pretty good at my age.

I keep my watch on top of an upright jewellery box on the dressing table.
I knocked the box getting something else off the top and the watch fell behind.
I was a bit worried as the edge is near the side of the dressing table and I didn't want the watch to fall onto the floor.
When I pulled it back the watch it was there inside one of those little see through jewellery bags that had been there.
Those bags are normally flat until you open them so I was a bit surprised.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'd obviously thought of that but I really don't think so. The flat next door to me is currently untenanted and I hear nothing of the people upstairs. (If I could hear their alarm I would surely hear a lot of other things too). I think the sound is coming from within - as evidenced by the fact that it fades away as soon as I start to concentrate on it.
I won't 100 per cent rule out an external noise explanation as yet I'll try to be more alert when it next happens (which is a contradiction in terms!) - but I really doubt it.

That is precisely my assumption. The `sound` always occurs when I am in that half-sleeping/half waking stage (when some other people have reported `hearing` random conversations or other noises). It is accompanied by a feeling - a sort of `Oh, God, yeah. I've got to get up` kind of anxiety (even though I don't in these cases.).

I wonder if an external sound ( example a car starting up) occurs at the same time that you usually get up. Possibly you don’t consciously listen to it, but it still registers subconsciously in your mind. Then that sound is linked with the sound of your alarm. Then, when your alarm is not set to the regular time, the other secondary sound causes your brain to “hear” your alarm.

Our hearing is much sharper upon waking than we sometimes realize.

Have you started losing your balance when you lean over to do laces etc yet? I've got that now.
My balance has never been particularly good in the first place, although standing on one leg was 'easy peasy' as a child. Can't do that now unfortunately. It was one of my favourite pasttimes.

Back