• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

For the last couple of weeks my friend and her husband have heard someone going down the passage at night and moving around the kitchen.
They wondered if someone had been trying to alert them.
He fell in the garage last week and cracked his shoulder and yesterday their granddaughter had a cyst and lost one of her ovaries.
Last night it was all quiet.

Let this be a lesson to you. Sometimes 'turn it off and then on again' is all that is needed.
Except when the warning message is on an autoclave, and needs a settings key to reset it, and no-one knows where the keys are, and you spend an hour looking for them before discovering that half an hour into your search you actually had the right key in your hands...

Sorry. It was a long week.

Except when the warning message is on an autoclave, and needs a settings key to reset it, and no-one knows where the keys are, and you spend an hour looking for them before discovering that half an hour into your search you actually had the right key in your hands...

Sorry. It was a long week.
A carpenter friend of mine once spent a good while walking around a building site asking people if they had seen/taken his hammer. Until he realised he had it in his hand. (I think he may have overdone the mushrooms the night before).

So I drove over to St Albans to take some stuff to the 'dump' yesterday.
On the way back I suddenly noticed that my dashboard was displaying the message 'Engine Malfunction' accompanied by a red exclamation mark.
The handbook would tell you that you need to stop driving immediately and get the vehicle taken to a Ford dealership (I didn't look in the book but I know that's what it would say), but seeing as it was driving perfectly fine, there was no smoke or flames coming out the back and no strange noises coming from the engine, I carried on as per normal.
Instead of driving home I drove straight to my mechanic who said it might just be a 'one off' thing which happens from time to time.
So we plugged in my OBD reader to see what codes it showed.......none were forthcoming.
So I restarted the engine and all was fine.....

Let this be a lesson to you. Sometimes 'turn it off and then on again' is all that is needed.
Had I taken it to a Ford dealership they would probably have told me I needed to leave it with them to diagnose etc etc which would have cost me £157 per hour for labour.
Ah yes the elecktrickery in modern cars - so far up itself just for the sake of it:hahazebs:. Must be a nice little (big) earner for dealerships, those idiot lights. Once it's come on Trev, be prepared for it to happen again.

Ah yes the elecktrickery in modern cars - so far up itself just for the sake of it:hahazebs:. Must be a nice little (big) earner for dealerships, those idiot lights. Once it's come on Trev, be prepared for it to happen again.
Yeah, my car annoys me in this way too. Too many sensors, lights and alarms.

We had a light that kept coming on, but miraculously, on two occasions, it went out just before the mots. On the third year however, it stayed on and failed as a result. Even though we all knew it was a fault with the sensor (it was known with the make/model of car), (and the mechanic looked it up while I was there), and not an actual fault with what the light maintained- it was going to cost hundreds just for the part, let alone the labour. It just wasn't worth it. All because of a faulty sensor.

These things are 'fixed' by removing the correct fuse for the light on the dash.
I looked into that but iirc it would have meant that something else also then wouldn't have worked and/or other sensors would have then lit up. I even considered getting a very small drill bit and drilling through the plastic of the dash to break the bulb.
I'm sure if I'd gone to some other mot place, (ie a back street in Crewe), they might have ignored it and passed it regardless of the light, but the car was very high tax and there were some other problems that were going to cost, so it was best to get rid anyway.

The lights do a self test we’re they all come on and off during start up the tester is supposed to check this if they do is another thing

Any car or bike over 40 years old does not need a mot or pay tax this seems odd but these vehicles are very rarely involved in any accidents and the owner is still required to maintain them in roadworthy condition

Had to take my TV for repair a couple of weeks ago and needed to unscrew it from the stand. Four screws, dropped them into a small plastic bag for safekeeping, dropped the bag into the fruit bowl on the kitchen table that I always use for anything like this. Picked TV up at the weekend, got home, went to fruit bowl for screws . . . . . . . . . . . .

Talking of screws - my screw that shockingly disappeared from my closed fist a while back, then reappeared on the floor a month later, has wandered off again. Possibly misplaced, but I kept it on my desk by my monitor as a reminder of the sheer impossibility of its original disappearance... kind of sad to see it gone again, but I'm hopeful that it will turn up again in some mysterious (or mundane) way.

Having watch the film 'Risen' again the other day, (which details a Roman soldier's search for Yeshua's body following his resurrection), something puzzles me with the ending scene. Why does the window have a 'frame' in it?

Attachments

• Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    886.2 KB · Views: 17
Having watch the film 'Risen' again the other day, (which details a Roman soldier's search for Yeshua's body following his resurrection), something puzzles me with the ending scene. Why does the window have a 'frame' in it?
I like that film (my Easter watching habit now) - perhaps just making a point by having a cross in the window?

I like that film (my Easter watching habit now) - perhaps just making a point by having a cross in the window?
I wondered that too. - Yes, I always seem to watch it when it's on. I can't watch so many films now because I've seen them too often, but (as in the case the other night) there was simply nothing else on- (or if there was, the tv signal kept breaking up on that channel)- so I watched it for probably the 10th time, at least.

Yesterday I was tidying up the twigs that had blown off the trees during the recent storms next to my house.
I came across half a packet of Polo mints, a scrunched-up tissue and a set of dentures. I believe they're all related, but don't understand how or why they got there. I left the teeth, I didn't know what else to do.

I had my car serviced in July when it had its MOT. Ever since then, when I drive in second or third gear, something on the dashboard goes 'bing' and I get the message 'current speed too high'. Too high for what? I'm hardly driving hundreds of miles, I'm only passing through second and third gear on my way to fourth and fifth!

Does it have a ECO mode if so make sure its turned off.
What type and year is it, a C5 if so is the outside temp gauge working.

Last edited:
So I drove over to St Albans to take some stuff to the 'dump' yesterday.
On the way back I suddenly noticed that my dashboard was displaying the message 'Engine Malfunction' accompanied by a red exclamation mark.
The handbook would tell you that you need to stop driving immediately and get the vehicle taken to a Ford dealership (I didn't look in the book but I know that's what it would say), but seeing as it was driving perfectly fine, there was no smoke or flames coming out the back and no strange noises coming from the engine, I carried on as per normal.
Instead of driving home I drove straight to my mechanic who said it might just be a 'one off' thing which happens from time to time.
So we plugged in my OBD reader to see what codes it showed.......none were forthcoming.
So I restarted the engine and all was fine.....

Had I taken it to a Ford dealership they would probably have told me I needed to leave it with them to diagnose etc etc which would have cost me £157 per hour for labour.
Typically in Toyotas and Subarus this most likely means the gas cap is either on too tight or not on tight enough. Learned that after several panicy hours on the thruway driving home one night.

Typically in Toyotas and Subarus
Yes I've heard this about some cars, and also on VWs with the 2 litre diesel engine there is a sensor on the oil filler cap too (for some reason).
But I have a Ford Kuga. Built to the usual Ford budget, so any additional sensors are avoided to keep costs down. I'm surprised that it has as much kit as it does actually, but then it is a 'titanium' edition.

'current speed too high'
Check your handbook (if you have one, or look up your car online) cos this sounds to me like the 'speed limit warning' has been turned on by someone, probably during the service. My mate had an Alfa Romeo which would go 'ding' when he went past 30mph.

Typically in Toyotas and Subarus this most likely means the gas cap is either on too tight or not on tight enough. Learned that after several panicy hours on the thruway driving home one night.

Excessive or insufficient detected pressure can trip error codes for vapor pressure anomalies in the fuel / emissions systems.

Back