• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
No wonder Jesus hung around there. It just wouldn't have been the same in say Manchester or Sheffield.
Yup, can you imagine?

- The Messiah is coming to Stockport! We must go and hear Him preach! :)
- I will bring my baby for Him to bless! :)
- I will touch the hem of His garment! :)

- Oh 'old on, look at the forecast. Drizze early on and then showers.

Ah well...

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
There's no such thing as bad weather, only 'inappropriate clothing'.
I tell Techy this. On the other'and, road cycling in inclement weather is dangerous, not because you might get cold or wet but because you're dodging the nutters behind steering wheels who think they have to drive as FAST and as CLOSE as POSSIBLE in case they are HELD UP for ONE MINUTE when their HOMES could be getting WASHED AWAY.

I don't think so. I hate the cold.
What I mean though is that it isn't just the weather. If you go to live in another, warmer, country (even one that speaks the same language) solely because of the weather, then you'll soon find that there are a whole load of other things to get used to as well.
A different culture, different monetary system, customs and habits, history, laws, etc etc etc.

What I mean though is that it isn't just the weather. If you go to live in another, warmer, country (even one that speaks the same language) solely because of the weather, then you'll soon find that there are a whole load of other things to get used to as well.
A different culture, different monetary system, customs and habits, history, laws, etc etc etc.
Oh I quite agree young Trev me lad. To go and live somewhere just because of the climate would be very silly. You have to also have an interest in the culture/cuisine/religion (maybe)/people etc etc. - As for clothing; I'm bloody fed up of having to dress like Michelin man. It's very uncomfortable.

That's nice but hardly comparable to some ramshackle shed looking out over the beach on the north Norfolk coast though is it?
Mudeford is (similar to 'Sandbanks just a couple of miles away) one of the most expensive places to buy property in the UK.
And look at that 'beach hut' - sleeps 6, has cooking and bathroom facilities etc.

That's nice but hardly comparable to some ramshackle shed looking out over the beach on the north Norfolk coast though is it?
Mudeford is (similar to 'Sandbanks just a couple of miles away) one of the most expensive places to buy property in the UK.
And look at that 'beach hut' - sleeps 6, has cooking and bathroom facilities etc.
I was just showing you the one I've bought. - Had a drive around Sandbanks on Google street view. It looks very pleasant. Salcombe in Devon is another place I'd like to visit. Too many places I would love to see and not enough time Trev.

For those unfamiliar with the area........

Sandbanks is a small peninsula or spit (1 km2 or 0.39 sq mi) crossing the mouth of Poole Harbour on the English Channel coast at Poole in Dorset, England. It is known for its high property prices and for its award-winning beach. In 2005, Sandbanks was reported to have the fourth highest land value by area in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbanks

I went on holiday there and ordered scallops and they weren’t cleaned and were as gritty as fuck. There’s also a good few ’named chef’ places that have taken their eye off the ball so don’t get sucked into the food hype.
Plenty of places do great food without the big name and the hype and the recipes… they just cook with the best and freshest ingredients.
(Personal experience - a crab cake is NOT a bunch of crab meat in a Brioche bun).

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
There's no such thing as bad weather, only 'inappropriate clothing'.
The problem with this, is the sheer changeability of the weather in Britain. You can head out for a nice, chilly day walk (with rain expected) in all your layers and wet weather clothing, and then you get to lunchtime, it's 19 degrees and you have to carry most of your 'appropriate clothing' home in your rucksack. Leaving less room for your flask of tea and large pack of Hobnobs.

The problem with this, is the sheer changeability of the weather in Britain. You can head out for a nice, chilly day walk (with rain expected) in all your layers and wet weather clothing, and then you get to lunchtime, it's 19 degrees and you have to carry most of your 'appropriate clothing' home in your rucksack. Leaving less room for your flask of tea and large pack of Hobnobs.
Been there, done that... Lots.

Leaving less room for your flask of tea and large pack of Hobnobs.
For Catseye there is also the issue of 'inappropriately sized rucksack'.
(That and an increasingly obvious obsession with tea and hobnobs)

Yup, the solution is to spend a king's ransom on the latest waterproofs that keep you dry and then when the the sun comes out, roll up to the size of a caterpillar and fit in your pocket.

Didn't we use to put up with some rubbish? Found a couple of old 'waterproofs' when tipping out a cupboard a few years ago. One would have kept off the tail-end of a very light drizzle IF you also deployed a golf umbrella and a bus shelter and the other, well, you'd drown in your own sweat. :chuckle:

Both were mercilessly cannibalised for fabric, zips, cords etc and one is about to provide me with a smart new hi-viz cycling helmet cover.
(Well, that's the plan. Haven't even cut it out yet.)

Legs, hmmm, in these days of Lyme disease and other tick-related horrors I'm regrettably sticking with the long pants for the foreseeable. That's one layer that's staying on.

Last edited:
sticking with the long pants
You mean your 'Union Suit' including an escape hatch don't you?
1646224456658.png

Exactly. I want a climate where it's perfectly comfortable to be able to wear T-shirt, shorts and flip-flops all year round and on any occasion; weddings/funerals/job interviews.... That's Israel/Southern California/ Hawaii and Tahiti for starters.

Could be worse;

Spearfish holds the world record for the fastest recorded temperature change.
On January 22, 1943, at about 7:30 a.m. MST, the temperature in Spearfish was −4 °F (−20 °C). The Chinook wind picked up speed rapidly, and two minutes later (7:32 a.m.) the temperature was +45 °F (7 °C). The 49 °F (or 27 °C) rise in two minutes set a world record that still holds. By 9:00 a.m., the temperature had risen to 54 °F (12 °C).
Suddenly, the chinook died down and the temperature tumbled back to −4 °F (or−20 °C). The 58 °F (or 32.2 °C) drop took only 27 minutes.

Extreme winter maxima in the district are remarkably warm given the latitude and altitude; on January 19, 1921 Spearfish reached a remarkable 79 °F (26 °C), the hottest January temperature in South Dakota on record.

(I also read somewhere that in Texas in the 1930s it once went from around 33°c down to freezing in half an hour or so.

Back