• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
How I wish I was in England with all you guys. Would love to visit Whitechapel and go on the Jack The Ripper Walk Tour.
Oh, to be in England...
Ronnie. Although a little dated, may I suggest Bill Bryson’s excellent and very funny book “Notes from a small Island” and then his follow up book 20 years later “The road to little Dribbling”

Good work from the man originally from Des Moines- Iowa.

How I wish I was in England with all you guys. Would love to visit Whitechapel and go on the Jack The Ripper Walk Tour.
Oh, to be in England...
I live in possibly the greenest county in the entire country, full of lush green fields packed with well-fed cattle.*
We also have quaint buildings and of course, ghosts. :chuckle:

*Most of my more distant female forebears would have been milkmaids famed for their beauty. :cool:

Their secret was a close proximity to cows from which they'd catch cowpox, a close relation to smallpox, which gave them immunity to it and spared them facial scarring. :wink2:

Oh, to be in England...
To be fair, I do feel lucky to be living in the UK.
But apart from the weather you're not really missing much that you can't experience vicariously through the wonders of youtube.

Jersey girl, as former Teaneck and with former marital ties to the UK I must warn you that although they appear to speak the same language they are in fact a totally different species with barbarous TV comedy and exotic junk foods, and caution is recommended.

LOL - You guys are too funny!
But just think what you have - Ilkley Moor, Liverpool (I'm thinking of The Cavern and The Beatles), Windsor Castle, Whitechapel, Carnaby Street (where Fashion exploded in the 1960's and was the center of everything), Cadbury Flake Bars, and (the best) those Fish and Chips!
And perhaps it's because we're living in the most densely populated are of the country in NJ, every time I google various spots in England, I am constantly amazed at all the wide open spaces and greenery! Seems every square inch here is built up and ruined. And your buildings are ancient and beautiful. (Catherine's Court in Bath - which Jane Seymour owned at one time)
I think the word is Charm, I remember my grandmother lived on Chesterton Green in Beaconsfield at one time, which is still beautiful when I look at it on google. I was a child when we lived on Upper Riding, and it is still surrounded by green fields and forests, very impressive that open spaces are kept.
As for the weather, of course our summers are lovely with lots of sun and heat - but the humidity is a killer!! LOL

Ilkley Moor, Liverpool (I'm thinking of The Cavern and The Beatles), Windsor Castle, Whitechapel, Carnaby Street (where Fashion exploded in the 1960's and was the center of everything), Cadbury Flake Bars, and (the best) those Fish and Chips!
Well, most of those things are just memories of ideals from history.
A lot of Liverpool, whilst being populated by the funniest people on gods earth, is quite rough. The Cavern Club no longer exists in its original state, and obviously neither do the Beatles seeing as 2 of them are dead and Paul McCartney is a pensioner who rarely gets out now.
Windsor Castle is Windsor Castle and always will be. But it is mainly there to stiff tourists out of money to walk around some of the ancient pile. The locals couldn't care for it. A bit like people who live near the beach rarely walk on the sand.
Carnaby Street likewise exists only on it's notoriety from the 60s - if it wasn't for nostalgia it would be identical to any number of other crappy London roads.
Cadbury Flake bars I couldn't comment on really because I haven't had one for many years, but as I remember they just shed a load of chocolatey bits into your lap, and I expect that as with most things these days, they are only half the size they used to be, and probably not as tasty as the makers must have to mess with the ingredients to reduce the sugar etc.

But there are still a lot of places that do excellent Fish and Chips, but if you watch 'Diners, Drive-ins and Dives' you'll see there are places in the US too.

LOL - You guys are too funny!
But just think what you have - Ilkley Moor, Liverpool (I'm thinking of The Cavern and The Beatles), Windsor Castle, Whitechapel, Carnaby Street (where Fashion exploded in the 1960's and was the center of everything), Cadbury Flake Bars, and (the best) those Fish and Chips!
And perhaps it's because we're living in the most densely populated are of the country in NJ, every time I google various spots in England, I am constantly amazed at all the wide open spaces and greenery! Seems every square inch here is built up and ruined. And your buildings are ancient and beautiful. (Catherine's Court in Bath - which Jane Seymour owned at one time)
I think the word is Charm, I remember my grandmother lived on Chesterton Green in Beaconsfield at one time, which is still beautiful when I look at it on google. I was a child when we lived on Upper Riding, and it is still surrounded by green fields and forests, very impressive that open spaces are kept.
As for the weather, of course our summers are lovely with lots of sun and heat - but the humidity is a killer!! LOL
You poor deluded child. Only joking! Sort of.

Don't be like that guys, we also have Camden, Notting Hill, Greenwich, Avebury, the Downs, Shrewsbury, Salisbury (would you like Novichok with your fish and chips, sir?), the Isle of Wight, Brighton, Hadrian's Wall, Cornwall, north Wales, Edinburgh, Glasgow, the Highlands, and standing stones and forgotten ruins all over the shop... and plenty more besides.

Cadbury Flake bars I couldn't comment on really because I haven't had one for many years, but as I remember they just shed a load of chocolatey bits into your lap, and I expect that as with most things these days, they are only half the size they used to be, and probably not as tasty as the makers must have to mess with the ingredients to reduce the sugar etc.
Made in Poland now, AFAIK.
So not British anymore!

Cadbury Flake bars I couldn't comment on really because I haven't had one for many years, but as I remember they just shed a load of chocolatey bits into your la
That's because you were't eating them correctly, as per the TV adverts.

What you do is carefully unwrap your Flake and place a couple of inches in your mouth, then hold it firmly with your lips while rubbing your tongue all round the end. Guaranteed satisfaction.

That's because you were't eating them correctly, as per the TV adverts.

What you do is carefully unwrap your Flake and place a couple of inches in your mouth, then hold it firmly with your lips while rubbing your tongue all round the end. Guaranteed satisfaction.
And have a lizard running over your telephone (landline that is, for you young 'uns).

Don't be like that guys, we also have Camden, Notting Hill, Greenwich, Avebury, the Downs, Shrewsbury, Salisbury (would you like Novichok with your fish and chips, sir?), the Isle of Wight, Brighton, Hadrian's Wall, Cornwall, north Wales, Edinburgh, Glasgow, the Highlands, and standing stones and forgotten ruins all over the shop... and plenty more besides.

You didn’t include Britain’s pubs Simon (what’s left of them ) we have without doubt the best, most unique, and the most ancient watering holes of any country on Earth.

I was in the Nutshell last weekend, the nations smallest pub. There were only five punters in there when I visited last Saturday morning, and the place was packed :D......although probably not a good idea to visit during a pandemic........cough cough.

(...) we also have Camden, Notting Hill, Greenwich, Avebury, the Downs, Shrewsbury, Salisbury (would you like Novichok with your fish and chips, sir?), the Isle of Wight, Brighton, Hadrian's Wall, Cornwall, north Wales, Edinburgh, Glasgow, the Highlands, and standing stones and forgotten ruins all over the shop. (...)
But don't forget we also have some good stuff too!

Back