• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Oddly, that's very close to the image that I conjured up when when describing my experience of the Manchester earthquake, back in 2002: I described it as sounding like a fat bloke had broken into my loft and was running across the roof joists.
Well @Giant R ?

What kind of emergency is helped with hobnobs?
Apart from maybe a massive spillage of tea?
You, Sir, are no Englishman! Any emergency is better with a Hobnob! Bring me not your tales of Rich Tea or Digestive!

You, Sir, are no Englishman! Any emergency is better with a Hobnob! Bring me not your tales of Rich Tea or Digestive!
I find 'Oaties' and 'Chocolate Oaties' from Aldi's make an acceptable subsititute and they are, of course, cheaper. The only trouble is, they are the one biscuit that my local branch can be relied upon to run out of. :(

Exactly. I want a climate where it's perfectly comfortable to be able to wear T-shirt, shorts and flip-flops all year round and on any occasion; weddings/funerals/job interviews.... That's Israel/Southern California/ Hawaii and Tahiti for starters.
I know what you mean Floyd. It's the main reason that I've just re-watched every single episode of Death in Paradise! Silly, unrealistic and formulaic it may well be, but oh those blue skies, warmth, and comfortable clothing. Also, in keeping with my need for relaxation, the story lines require little or no concentration and in any case it will all get explained in the last but one scene.

My life would be so much better with a 'Catherine's Bar' near by where I could pop to when feeling 'can't be bothered to cook for myself' hungry and or lonely. Great food and wise advice, warm even though it's dark ... ho hum our local on the village green just doesn't have the same vibe although I'm sure @Ronnie Jersey would be perfectly charmed by it and it's setting overlooking a Green (which celebrated it's 800th aniversary a few decades ago), and grade 2 listed buildings and what not. Not that I'm immune to its charms of course. :)

I know what you mean Floyd. It's the main reason that I've just re-watched every single episode of Death in Paradise! Silly, unrealistic and formulaic it may well be, but oh those blue skies, warmth, and comfortable clothing. Also, in keeping with my need for relaxation, the story lines require little or no concentration and in any case it will all get explained in the last but one scene.

My life would be so much better with a 'Catherine's Bar' near by where I could pop to when feeling 'can't be bothered to cook for myself' hungry and or lonely. Great food and wise advice, warm even though it's dark ... ho hum our local on the village green just doesn't have the same vibe although I'm sure @Ronnie Jersey would be perfectly charmed by it and it's setting overlooking a Green (which celebrated it's 800th aniversary a few decades ago), and grade 2 listed buildings and what not. Not that I'm immune to its charms of course. :)
Exactly. - I too used to like 'Death in Paradise' - the first one with Ben Miller and then his replacement whatshisname, but after he and Camile left I lost interest unfortunately. A great show though.

Sure, sunshine and blue skies are lovely, along with a beautiful beach with lovely white sand and blue waves, nothing is lovelier than a weekend at the shore! The fresh air is so clean and the first thing I notice when we drive down.
Which brings me to merry old England, the first thing I notice when getting off the plane is the air, I can breathe.
Perhaps it is all your greenery and wide open spaces!

Sure, sunshine and blue skies are lovely, along with a beautiful beach with lovely white sand and blue waves, nothing is lovelier than a weekend at the shore! The fresh air is so clean and the first thing I notice when we drive down.
Which brings me to merry old England, the first thing I notice when getting off the plane is the air, I can breathe.
Perhaps it is all your greenery and wide open spaces!
It's not stopped raining all day here. Same yesterday. I'm not sure what it's given for tomorrow. I haven't looked at the forecast, as they're usually wrong anyway. I bet greyness will be involved though.

It's not stopped raining all day here. Same yesterday. I'm not sure what it's given for tomorrow. I haven't looked at the forecast, as they're usually wrong anyway. I bet greyness will be involved though.
Oh dear, if we had rain here for days we'd be flooded, that's what happens now. A good thunderstorm and our street is a lake, it's frightening living anywhere near a river.
I notice England does not have severe winters though, when I was there last there were roses blooming in January, while we had snow!

You must give the driver who has stopped for you at a zebra crossing at least a brief nod, although a thumbs up is preferred.
Sorry, I'm a bit late to this thread...when did this start being a 'thing'?
I'm 50 and probably lived in rural areas a little too much but when I was young I didn't see this. When I started driving I didn't see this (test passed early 90s). It feels like a recent phenomenon.
As always I reckon it started in London. In the 90s I would drive up to London to visit a mate. One time I was driving, he was shotgun and I stopped to let someone cross a Zebra crossing, he said "in London nobody stops at a Zebra crossing" and that stuck with me.
So maybe if that was true of London drivers (and not just my mate pissing with me!) the London types using a crossing would show their appreciation if someone actually stopped.

I'm 50 and probably lived in rural areas a little too much but when I was young I didn't see this. When I started driving I didn't see this (test passed early 90s). It feels like a recent phenomenon.
As always I reckon it started in London. In the 90s I would drive up to London to visit a mate. One time I was driving, he was shotgun and I stopped to let someone cross a Zebra crossing, he said "in London nobody stops at a Zebra crossing" and that stuck with me.
So maybe if that was true of London drivers (and not just my mate pissing with me!) the London types using a crossing would show their appreciation if someone actually stopped.
People round'ere wave etc to drivers who stop at the lights. I like to do this when on my bike as it might stick in their minds.
Techy and I have each narrowly escaped some splatterings by careless drivers at crossings.

I’d say the great majority are actually pretty good at stopping at zebras, and showing a bit of appreciation doesn’t go amiss. Some do it, some don’t.

It’s the same if you’re driving or cycling & someone gives way to you

We're about the same age and I also don't recall it happening when I was younger, although I grew up in a small village that had no zebra crossings and only used them on occasion if I went to a nearby town.

Does the traffic ever move fast enough to need a crossing in Londontown anyway?

Does the traffic ever move fast enough to need a crossing in Londontown anyway?
Ha, just watch them taxis... and kamikaze cyclists (not sure they even see the crossings anyway what with the warp-speed blurring effect).

I think we need to prepare Ronnie Jersey and any others for their trip to England/UK;

If someone accidentally stands on your foot, you have to apologise.

You have to stand in a queue quietly and never, ever push in (probably the same in the USA).

When you've handed a shopkeeper a lot of change, you have to wait until they've counted it before leaving, even though you've triple checked it.

If someone offers to let you go in front of them at the till because you only have one item and they have a trolley full, you first have to say no, that's ok, thanks very much anyway and just hope that they insist.

You must mention the weather to everyone you meet, every day and even to complete strangers.

You must give the driver who has stopped for you at a zebra crossing at least a brief nod, although a thumbs up is preferred.

If you meet the same person more than twice in the same day you must say ''we'll have to stop meeting like this- people will talk''.

You must get used to buying meat/fish out of the back of a van on market days in small towns. (See Tom Stade's 'meat van guy')

You must wave a driver out from a side road in front of you and then spend the rest of the journey cursing that you did because they're driving at 20mph for miles and miles and you cannot overtake because the roads are so narrow and twisty.

If someone asks how you are you must say that you are fine (even though the doctor has just informed you that you have two months to live and will probably die a painful death).

You must blame the last pint of beer you had for making you ill- not the 20 you had before.
You forgot
You must thank the bus driver as you get off.

I've always done this and I taught my kids to, and we also thank airline staff as we disembark even if the flight has been pants-soilingly traumatic.

I'm too busy admiring my own granite-like calves* to rise to the bait.

*This is a hint about where I read your comment.
You mean like this?

N05443_9.jpg

You forgot
You must thank the bus driver as you get off.

I've always done this and I taught my kids to, and we also thank airline staff as we disembark even if the flight has been pants-soilingly traumatic.
Yes, I think I've always done that- (apart from with the fascist who wouldn't let me pay with an Isle of Man 50p) - Is that only an British thing then?

I'm too busy admiring my own granite-like calves* to rise to the bait.

*This is a hint about where I read your comment.
Is that it then? No bollocking and tirade of abuse about my comment? Things have gone downhill here by the looks of it. There was a time when you could guarantee a severe telling- off and no one would speak to you for days. I despair.

Is that it then? No bollocking and tirade of abuse about my comment? Things have gone downhill here by the looks of it. There was a time when you could guarantee a severe telling- off and no one would speak to you for days. I despair.
Sniff my saddle.

Back