• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Sandby Borg Massacre

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
It is not unusual for archaeologists to find caches of artefacts stashed in the ground, but their owners rarely remain nearby. Excavations on the island of Öland are revealing traces of a ringfort’s violent end.

Copy-of-Fig-1-Sandby-borg.jpg

This aerial view of the Sandby borg ringfort from the west shows its location on the south-east coast of Öland island, Sweden. Stone ramparts enclose an oval area, but excavations have revealed that these defences could not protect the people living within the settlement. [Image: Sebastian Jakobsson]

It all started in the spring of 2010, when geophysical surveys were carried out in a Migration period (c. AD 400-550) ringfort on the island of Öland. During the fieldwork, suspected looting pits were discovered, which led to a decision by the local authorities to subject the entire site to a metal-detector survey. This revealed five magnificent jewellery caches, containing large gilded silver brooches, along with items such as finger-rings, beads, bells, and smaller brooches. These remarkable finds, tucked away in different houses within the central block of the fort, were the catalyst for a small excavation the following year. It was not long, though, before the glamour of these discoveries took a macabre turn, when human remains displaying traces of lethal trauma appeared in the trenches.

Fig-2-Newly-found-brooch-1.jpg

This fine relief brooch was found together with a finger-ring and spiral beads in one of the jewellery caches at Sandby borg in 2010. [Image: Jan-Henrik Fallgren]

As the number of skeletons increased, it became apparent that our excavations were exposing evidence for a brutal massacre in the late 5th century AD. During this episode, large numbers of people were slaughtered and their bodies left where they fell. Of the ringfort’s 53 houses, only three have so far been excavated in their entirety. A total of about 15 individuals still lay within them, while a similar number are accounted for by human bones scattered across the street outside the houses. The dead span all ages, from infants to the elderly, but the sex range seems rather more restricted. Where determinations have been possible, so far only men are known to be present. Several of the skeletons show traces of fatal injuries, mostly to the head, which were inflicted by both sharp and blunt weapons. Many of these blows seem to have been struck from above or behind, while wounds to the victims’ forearms suggesting an attempt to defend themselves are conspicuously absent. In short, the evidence points towards a massacre rather than a battle.

skeletons-of-two-young-men.jpg

Skeletons of two young men

We refer to the three excavated buildings as Houses 4, 40, and 52. Within, we discovered a simultaneously varied and bleakly unambiguous picture of what transpired within the ringfort. House 40 and 52 both lie in the central block of buildings, and contained jewellery caches. House 4, by contrast, did not yield any high-status artefacts, and is located in the northern part of the fort. All three buildings contained human remains, ranging from two to nine individuals. House 40 contained six complete bodies and parts of another three, including several children, lying on the floor. In the back of this house, we found animal bones from at least eight slaughtered lambs, all of which died between the ages of three and six months, suggesting that the massacre was perpetrated sometime between late spring and early autumn.

In House 4, the skeleton of a 5- to 7-year-old child was found lying just inside the entrance, while the innermost part of the house contained the partially scattered skeleton of an older man. Close to the child and near the entrance, we encountered the remains of a young teenager who had been decapitated, as well as bones from another adult.

House 52 contained a child’s arm bone, but only a single complete body: an elderly man who was found face down across the central fireplace. He lay outstretched with his legs crossed. Fire damage to the man’s pelvic area shows that the fire was lit when he fell, meaning that he must have been unconscious or dead when he tumbled into the flames.

https://www.world-archaeology.com/features/the-sandby-borg-massacre/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandby_borg

maximus otter

It is not unusual for archaeologists to find caches of artefacts stashed in the ground, but their owners rarely remain nearby. Excavations on the island of Öland are revealing traces of a ringfort’s violent end.

Copy-of-Fig-1-Sandby-borg.jpg

This aerial view of the Sandby borg ringfort from the west shows its location on the south-east coast of Öland island, Sweden. Stone ramparts enclose an oval area, but excavations have revealed that these defences could not protect the people living within the settlement. [Image: Sebastian Jakobsson]

It all started in the spring of 2010, when geophysical surveys were carried out in a Migration period (c. AD 400-550) ringfort on the island of Öland. During the fieldwork, suspected looting pits were discovered, which led to a decision by the local authorities to subject the entire site to a metal-detector survey. This revealed five magnificent jewellery caches, containing large gilded silver brooches, along with items such as finger-rings, beads, bells, and smaller brooches. These remarkable finds, tucked away in different houses within the central block of the fort, were the catalyst for a small excavation the following year. It was not long, though, before the glamour of these discoveries took a macabre turn, when human remains displaying traces of lethal trauma appeared in the trenches.

Fig-2-Newly-found-brooch-1.jpg

This fine relief brooch was found together with a finger-ring and spiral beads in one of the jewellery caches at Sandby borg in 2010. [Image: Jan-Henrik Fallgren]

As the number of skeletons increased, it became apparent that our excavations were exposing evidence for a brutal massacre in the late 5th century AD. During this episode, large numbers of people were slaughtered and their bodies left where they fell. Of the ringfort’s 53 houses, only three have so far been excavated in their entirety. A total of about 15 individuals still lay within them, while a similar number are accounted for by human bones scattered across the street outside the houses. The dead span all ages, from infants to the elderly, but the sex range seems rather more restricted. Where determinations have been possible, so far only men are known to be present. Several of the skeletons show traces of fatal injuries, mostly to the head, which were inflicted by both sharp and blunt weapons. Many of these blows seem to have been struck from above or behind, while wounds to the victims’ forearms suggesting an attempt to defend themselves are conspicuously absent. In short, the evidence points towards a massacre rather than a battle.

skeletons-of-two-young-men.jpg

Skeletons of two young men

We refer to the three excavated buildings as Houses 4, 40, and 52. Within, we discovered a simultaneously varied and bleakly unambiguous picture of what transpired within the ringfort. House 40 and 52 both lie in the central block of buildings, and contained jewellery caches. House 4, by contrast, did not yield any high-status artefacts, and is located in the northern part of the fort. All three buildings contained human remains, ranging from two to nine individuals. House 40 contained six complete bodies and parts of another three, including several children, lying on the floor. In the back of this house, we found animal bones from at least eight slaughtered lambs, all of which died between the ages of three and six months, suggesting that the massacre was perpetrated sometime between late spring and early autumn.

In House 4, the skeleton of a 5- to 7-year-old child was found lying just inside the entrance, while the innermost part of the house contained the partially scattered skeleton of an older man. Close to the child and near the entrance, we encountered the remains of a young teenager who had been decapitated, as well as bones from another adult.

House 52 contained a child’s arm bone, but only a single complete body: an elderly man who was found face down across the central fireplace. He lay outstretched with his legs crossed. Fire damage to the man’s pelvic area shows that the fire was lit when he fell, meaning that he must have been unconscious or dead when he tumbled into the flames.

https://www.world-archaeology.com/features/the-sandby-borg-massacre/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandby_borg

maximus otter

Back in the dark ages, when violence prevailed and life was more often than not, nasty, brutish and short, it never fails to amaze me how some people could still devote large amounts of their precious time to creating beautiful jewellery and other artefacts.

Back in the dark ages, when violence prevailed and life was more often than not, nasty, brutish and short, it never fails to amaze me how some people could still devote large amounts of their precious time to creating beautiful jewellery and other artefacts.
There had to be some beauty to keep people sane.
A piece of jewellery like that would have been very highly treasured. I guess it was aspirational.

Most of human history has been extremely unpleasant for many people. Maybe most people? Same today.

The Dark Ages is a term that's not used now for good reason :) It was an age of technological advancement, population growth, the creation of much beauty and the expansion of cultures.

The opening post is fascinating, although melancholy. The detail of the old man with his hip burned where he fell dead into the fire during the massacre brings home that these were real people just like us. This was a real event in which people with hopes and fears were slaughtered in and around their own homes. It is not just dry archaeological fact and theory.

This sort of thing, of course, is still happening in some parts of the world. I am particularly reminded of the Rwandan genocide (1994) in which Tutsis (and others) were hacked to death with machetes, often as they sought sanctuary in village churches and schools.

Whenever I see an interesting post like this, I tend to check Wikipedia as a "primer" for the subject. To my surprise, there is no page for Sandy Borg. (Edit: However, as has been pointed out below, there is a page under the correct name of Sandby Borg.)

I then looked up Öland, and the entry for the island mentions 19 identified ring forts (there may of course be some not yet identified) of which only one, Eketorp, has been fully excavated. Öland is apparently derived from Eowland, or "land of the Eowans" which has a very Tolkienesque sound to it.

A quick look at the page for Eketorp shows a substantially different structure.

Last edited:
Whenever I see an interesting post like this, I tend to check Wikipedia as a "primer" for the subject. To my surprise, there is no page for Sandy Borg.
Because it’s Sandby Borg. Max gave the link above.

Of course, you can find a few people called Sandy Borg on Facebook, if that helps.

More about Sandy Borg and a shipwreck that occurred more than 1000 years later—is giving scientists an unprecedented snapshot of Scandinavia before and after the Viking era.

Brutal massacre sheds light on migration during Viking Age​

It was one of the most brutal massacres of Scandinavia’s pre–Viking age. Around 450 C.E., on an island off the southern coast of what is now Sweden, the residents of an earthen-walled fort were slaughtered. Archaeologists aren’t sure whether the attackers were rival islanders or raiders from across the sea. What they do know is dozens of men, women, and children were killed in a surprise attack.

The assailants left the bodies where they lay, and the coastal fortress, known as Sandby Borg, was abandoned. “It was never reoccupied,” says Kerstin Lidén, an archaeological scientist at Stockholm University. “It’s a very particular event.”

Now, that tragedy—and another horror that occurred more than 1000 years later—is giving scientists an unprecedented snapshot of Scandinavia before and after the Viking era. The study reveals the Viking Age was a high point of migration to what is now Sweden. “The Viking period is extreme,” says team leader Anders Götherström, a geneticist at Stockholm University. “There’s massive variation and migration coming into Viking society.”

Scientists already know, thanks to ancient DNA, that Scandinavia was a hotbed of immigration from Northern Europe and the British Isles during the Viking age, roughly between 750 C.E. and 1050 C.E. But what immigration looked like before and after this period has been less clear. ...

Another tragedy provided further evidence of Viking Age immigration. In 1676, a Swedish warship called the Kronan capsized and partially exploded in the Baltic, just 6 kilometers off the coast of Öland, taking at least 600 men down with it. Since 1981, divers have recovered coins, textiles, military equipment, and dozens of skeletons from the cold, low-oxygen depths. “It’s like a fridge,” Götherström says. “They’re so well preserved they’re like modern samples.” ...

https://www.science.org/content/article/brutal-massacre-sheds-light-migration-during-viking-age

Most of human history has been extremely unpleasant for many people. Maybe most people? Same today.

The Dark Ages is a term that's not used now for good reason :) It was an age of technological advancement, population growth, the creation of much beauty and the expansion of cultures.
It's called 'Dark' because of the relative lack of records, not because it was particularly evil. Although I accept the term is European-centric, but nearly everything is.

Europe isn't even a proper continent, it's Asia's western peninsula.

Last edited:
It's called 'Dark' because of the relative lack of records, not because it was particularly evil. Although I accept the term is European-centric, but nearly everything is.

Europe isn't even a proper continent, it's Asia's western peninsula.
More formally, what used to be called the "dark ages" is now usually called "the migration period" merging into the "early medieval." This is roughly 5th century to 10th century CE.

I believe this change in terminology is in part because of the judgemental element that some people feel is implied by the word "dark".

(To my dismay, being of a certain age, I find that this spelling, medieval, has more or less become standard, and the previous spelling mediaeval" is now considered rare and archaic.)

Of course, "medieval" is itself judgemental in that "medi..." implies "in the middle" as in "middle ages". This therefore implies a specific start date. The medieval period is the bit "in the middle" between the Romans and what we consider to be (early) modern. In reality, every generation since the beginning of Homo sapiens has considered its own period to be "modern".

Will we still be calling the 5th to 15th centuries "the middle ages" in 5,000 years?

Last edited:
Still called 'The Dark Ages' here. I've no truck with this false offense finding.
I don't think this particular case is to do with offence. It's to do with historians wanting to be objective or dispassionate. The study of history has moved on and aspires to be more "scientific, investigative, and analytical, rather than perpetuating and reinforcing an established narrative.

The word dark in this context was to some extent polysemic: the ages were dark because dark things happened, and dark because so little is known about them. (We are in the dark about it.)

The idea that dark things happened — it was an age of barbarism between the glories of the Roman empire and the glories of the medieval era and modern world — is misleading for two reasons:

The people of the time were cultured. It was just their culture. For example, we now understand that Vikings were not just axe-wielding pirates who raided and destroyed monasteries. They travelled widely for trade and exploration, they made beautiful artefacts, they had a lively and complex mythology, poetry, and so on. Also, of course, we now acknowledge that the Roman empire was a time of military expansionism, mass enslavement, and cultural brutality: gladiatorial games, public torture and executions, routine assassinations etc. We also acknowledge, that far from being glorious, the crusades were equally brutal and barbaric, and the Christians were not simply "the good guys". In short: the dark things that happened in the dark ages were no darker than the dark things that happened before and after.

Defining an era by the fact that we know so little about it (we are in the dark) tells you more about us than it does about the age. At the time, the dark age people knew all they needed to know. Also, we are constantly gathering and interpreting new evidence, and we are no longer as in the dark as we used to be.

Of course, everyone of a certain age will continue to think of it as the dark ages, but nevertheless, it is a misleading and unhelpful label, although not offensive.

I've always been impressed by the Saxons. They rapidly transformed from essentially a band of raiders into a highly civilised society in a couple of hundred years - arguably one of the most civilised societies in Europe prior to the Renaissance. The repeated Viking raids and partial occupations didn't help, then the Normans were another retrograde step, at least from the point of view of the average peasant.

At the height of the Roman empire, if you handed a shopping list to a shopkeeper, chances are they could puzzle it out.

Try that to an early medieval king.

I've always been impressed by the Saxons. They rapidly transformed from essentially a band of raiders into a highly civilised society in a couple of hundred years - arguably one of the most civilised societies in Europe prior to the Renaissance. The repeated Viking raids and partial occupations didn't help, then the Normans were another retrograde step, at least from the point of view of the average peasant.
I've just bought this, going for £9.99 in a garden centre! As you say the Normans were a retrograde step.

https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/The-1066-Norman-Bruisers-Hardback/p/16853

The Vikings were something of an enigma.
They kicked the Franks' arses and carved off the portion of Gaul which became Normandy, but readily adopted the Frankish/Gallic language and culture.
Of all the colonial powers that invaded Britain, they were probably the least benign.
If Harold hadn't had to kick out the last of the Vikings he may have kept the Normans out.

Also the BCE/CE thing is bullshit.
All of the various competing Christian denominations add up to 31% of the world's population: less than a third, and many of those are not especially devout. By definition, only the Christians think of Jesus as "the Christ" (BC = Before Christ) or as "our Lord" (AD = in the year of our Lord). Some major religions would go so far as to call it blasphemy.

As an atheist myself (we're around 15% of the world's population, so outnumbered by Christians 2:1) I don't feel strongly about BC/AD but I do not acknowledge Jesus as the son of God, the Christ, or my Lord.

It makes sense to maintain the convention of counting dates from the estimated birth of Jesus because the alternative would be a major restructuring of existing written history. However, it is a small change that harms no one to make a simple change of labels to something neutral in tone.

The roots of the expression "Common Era" can be traced back to 1615 in Latin (written by Johannes Kepler), and to 1708 in the English language. It is not a new thing.

I would say this is not a hill to die on, but perhaps in the circumstances... or is that too soon?

The Franks did something similar. Dodgy hairy barbarians to sophisticated culture in a very short space of time

BC/BCE is part of that tendency to take something clear and established and replace it with something murky and meaningless. Sure, change to a different year 0 if you will. Carbon dating uses 1950 as the benchmark. However there is nothing more common about the common era than the other eras.

The Normans (i.e. "North men") were Vikings.
Just Vikings who had appropriated Gallic language and culture.
True, Rolf the Ganger wasn't it? Weren't there a fair number of Bretons and others with William as well?

However there is nothing more common about the common era than the other era

isn't it rather that, as @Mikefule says above, BC/AD is culture specific (and has rather been imposed, with all the cultural baggage)? And BC/BCE recognises a variety of cultures and responses, helping workers in the field drop some of that baggage? Everyone who wishes to can have BC/BCE in common.

Humans do manage with a variety of ways of counting time - the Julian and Gregorian calendars staggered along together for a while and people mostly coped. The Russian Orthodox Church will have their Christmas about now. I've worked with two people who worked on years since the founding of the Temple* first and did a running calculation if needed.

* @Victory have I got that right? It's a long couple of decades ago!

Back