• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Great Acts Of Stupidity

Marie? If it's meant to be named after the ship it's Mary FFS. I looked on the site but the image is missing!!
When I first read the story in junior school, say mid-60s, it was still the Mary Celeste.

Seeing it called Marie later on, I thought it was some editor's tweak to make it sound more, dunno, exotic.

When I first read the story in junior school, say mid-60s, it was still the Mary Celeste.

Seeing it called Marie later on, I thought it was some editor's tweak to make it sound more, dunno, exotic.
Conan Doyle's fault. His story "J. Habakuk Jephson's Statement" published anonymously was based on the Mary Celeste but called it the Marie Celeste which caused the confusion (Although I heard somewhere that Lloyd's may have originally had the name wrong)

Then I think, as you did, that various writers have thought that Marie sounded more exotic.

I can though offer no excuse or explanation for white Yetis.

Getting tossed off: receiving a hand shandy, a french polish, happy finish, shoot for the stars, vinegar strokes, five-knuckle shuffle, to have had a visit from Mother Fist and her five lovely daughters...

need I say more?
These are new terms to me also! LOL
I honestly thought it meant getting murdered or something along those lines!

In popular imagination and mistelling of the true story it will always remain the Marie Celeste.

Are you really surprised that the image has vanished?

We went to see the legendary Roy Harper back in 1999 or 2000 down in Southampton.
He was promoting his classic Green Man album, and I bought a pre-release copy from him on the night.
The title track features the lyric "Abord the Marie Celeste..." and I must admit to wincing a bit when I listened to the CD at home whilst following the lyrics on the CD sleeve and was aghast that one of my musical heroes had got it so wrong.
I reckon he must have realised his mistake though as, some 11 years later on BBC's Jools Holland show, he definitely pronounces it as Mary Celeste.

Israeli TikTok star held on drug trafficking charges in France: 'I didn't know it was illegal'.​

Three young Israeli women were arrested in Paris last week trying to smuggle over 440 lbs. of khat — a plant whose consumption causes a sense of euphoria and is illegal in France.

One of the suspects is TikTok star Chen Elkayam who was arrested in her hotel room after already having completed the drug deal.

"I did nothing wrong. This isn't a date rape drug. I've been branded a drug dealer. I know it's illegal in France but it's just Khat. The hype around this is disproportional"
she said.

But she seems confused, as she then goes on to say; "Since I didn't know it was illegal, I didn't think about fleeing France''.

''I can't wait to get back to Israel so I can tell people exactly what happened."

https://www.ynetnews.com/article/hjfjwfpxn

Chewing the leaves is legal in Israel.
Some people of Yemeni and Ethiopian heritage use it.
They even have "Khat Cafes."

That's actually semi-reasonable. You know you can't BUY it where you're going so you take enough to not run out while there
Thing is, it might be for personal use but it remains illegal in the country you are travelling to. Personal use is a mitigating factor not a get-out-of-jail-free excuse.
Besides, if you're willing to risk jail smuggling drugs 'for personal use' then you might have a dependency problem.

Thing is, it might be for personal use but it remains illegal in the country you are travelling to. Personal use is a mitigating factor not a get-out-of-jail-free excuse.
Besides, if you're willing to risk jail smuggling drugs 'for personal use' then you might have a dependency problem.
This is why I said "semi". :p It's a good explanation of why you have so much, but not a good explanation of why you're bringing it at all.

That's actually semi-reasonable. You know you can't BUY it where you're going so you take enough to not run out while there
Semi-reasonable? 440 pounds = 200 Kg, = about 2.3 times my bodyweight. Equal to 200 standard bags of sugar, or 481 tins of beans. Planning a very long stay?

Semi-reasonable? 440 pounds = 200 Kg, = about 2.3 times my bodyweight. Equal to 200 standard bags of sugar, or 481 tins of beans. Planning a very long stay?
Khat isn't typically a processed substance. It's a plant normally consumed whole and raw. And given that it's for three people apparently? But this is just hypothetical pondering.

At any rate, looking again, these three weren't actually Khat users, and apparently got duped into being runners for someone they didn't know.

Last edited:
Back