• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Peculiar (And Lost) 'Wisdom' & Advice From Our Elders

That's exactly like the house I lived in for 25 years. Huge house, no double glazing and oil fired central heating which we couldn't afford to put on. So we'd light the fire and everyone would sit in a two metre radius, because any further than that you wouldn't feel a thing. For twenty years we lived with being able to see our breath every winter indoors and having to wear at least three jumpers indoors.

But, by heck, my kids were rarely ill and they don't feel the cold now!
Here, it's often warmer outside than in. The other day was a good example.

But ''you won't feel the benefit'' is very true. When I go to the inlaws house, I have to strip off, because when we leave the tropical temperatures there, the cold hits you even more than it normally would, so the more clothing you have to put on the better.

But ''you won't feel the benefit'' is very true. When I go to the inlaws house, I have to strip off, because when we leave the tropical temperatures there, the cold hits you even more than it normally would, so the more clothing you have to put on the better.
My elderly friend John has the heating turned up full all the time. He 'feels the cold' apparently. Then he's mystified as to why all the farm cats keep trying to get into his house, and, when I'm there, my dog wanders around looking for a water bowl. It is STIFLING.

Only a couple of weeks ago, it was exactly that here (in N. Yorks). I was so struck by the difference I used a laser thermometer; dark green plastic surface, both in the sun; inside was 12.2 DegC., outside was 14.6!
I've worked outside a lot - even in snow and ice. It didn't harden me to cold weather, it just made me appreciate being warm!

One of my colleagues at a previous employer washed his hair and then walked to work in the snow, without wearing a hat.
When he got to the office, he found that his hair was covered in ice.
He did seem to catch a bit of a cold after that.
Same thing happened to my wife. Her hair actually froze, as in frozen stiff. She didn't get a cold though.

There's a make of gin called Bathtub, which I found rather crass. However, I've read that it's not a reference to abortion.

The name comes from when making home-brewed spirits, people had to use the bath tap to fill the bottle up as it's so tall and wouldn't fit in the sink. Sounds thin!
I thought the bathtub was somehow involved in the making of the gin, rather than it's reputed 'benefits' regarding unwanted pregnancies. I'm sure I've heard the phrase 'bathtub gin' way back.

Back then, 1970s, girls were generally allowed long hair and the boys' was short. My suspicion is that long hair was seen as a dangerously female attribute which required close control.

Can remember, aged about 13, being accused by adults of flaunting myself when walking around with my long hair loose.
Baffled me. :dunno:

All very Victorian. :chuckle:
Started to grow my hair long when I was 12 (1968, Jimi Hendrix). My Dad was a tolerant bloke, never argued about it at home. I never had much hassle, even from school, until we changed headmaster when I was in 6th form, by which time other pupils had started doing it.

My standard answer when criticised for having girly hair was "What, like Jesus and Nelson?" I had one eye like Nelson too :) Which may have helped keep the idiots off. And also I am VERY stubborn.

I think that is a bit of a different situation though. If you have taken your coat off voluntarily because it is so hot inside then you don't need to get told "you won't feel the benefit"! That is reserved for people who should be made to feel cold at all times. Apparently.

I'm sure I've heard the phrase 'bathtub gin' way back.
You're not wrong.
Bathtub gin is used to refer to really poor quality rotgut that, while technically safe to drink, was drunk with caution.
Wikipedia cites it from the Prohibition era. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_gin
Whereas the Laurence Memorial Hospital says "It was called bathtub gin because it was made in a tall bottle — so tall, in fact, that it could not be topped off with water in the sink. Many people filled it up in the bathtub for this reason, and that's how it got its name! monumental, classic drink was a mask for low-quality, poor-tasting gin." though this explanation sounds silly - I mean, a bottle so tall it wouldn't fit under a sink tap? Some form of jug might be required then.

There's a make of gin called Bathtub, which I found rather crass. However, I've read that it's not a reference to abortion.

The name comes from when making home-brewed spirits, people had to use the bath tap to fill the bottle up as it's so tall and wouldn't fit in the sink. Sounds thin!
I thought the bathtub was somehow involved in the making of the gin, rather than it's reputed 'benefits' regarding unwanted pregnancies. I'm sure I've heard the phrase 'bathtub gin' way back.
I missed this reference earlier.

The term bathtub gin is well known in the U.S., and was common in the prohibition era. It became a rather generic term for any small-scale produced liquor, especially especially one that only simulated the real thing. Many such products were only high-proof grain alcohol mixed with water and flavorings. Apparently these were sometimes made up in bathtubs. The brand is just a joking reference to this.

I never heard of the abortion inducing ritual, and I'm pretty sure it's unconnected to the name.

Dang. @Stormkhan beat me to it.

The former makes sense - on narrow staircases, that could result in a fall (or even unwanted physical contact).
I imagine the latter is to prevent the brolly catching on paintings, ornaments etc.

The former makes sense - on narrow staircases, that could result in a fall (or even unwanted physical contact).
I imagine the latter is to prevent the brolly catching on paintings, ornaments etc.
It's superstition, supposed to go back centuries or more.

When I was a kid, it was always 'Make sure you have clean underwear on, just in case' -
The 'just in case' was if an accident happened, and you ended up at the doctor / hospital! :)
When I was very young I read a book by some Fortean author (Brad Steiger?) in which he said the maid in his childhood home told him something like "you want clean underwear on in case you get hit by a truck." That day he was hit by a truck. He used this as evidence that the maid was psychic. (He also ascribed other weird attributes to the incident and the maid, but of similarly flimsy nature.)

My Grandma was a one for that superstition.
She told me off when I opened an umbrella indoors. So I asked what would happen, and she didn't know.
I suppose children don't do this anymore do they? We had to make our own fun back then though and umbrellas were definitely up there. If you kept the band fastened around it, when you pressed the button it could be used as a rather effective 'extending lance', or even some sort of more high-tech weapon of your choice.

I saw someone try this once and the brolly shot off the end of the handle and flew across the room.:chuckle:
It's strange when you think how, only a relatively short time ago, things were so different. My Mother had a bureau that had a small drawer on the side in which there were some old batteries and sparkplugs that my Grandad had given me and that I'd occasionally get out to 'play with'.
These young 'uns today..........

My Mum always told me that before I leave the house in the morning, 'Stand up straight, pull your shoulders back, and put a Smile on your face' -
Which I still (unconsciously) do every morning!

It's strange when you think how, only a relatively short time ago, things were so different. My Mother had a bureau that had a small drawer on the side in which there were some old batteries and sparkplugs that my Grandad had given me and that I'd occasionally get out to 'play with'.
These young 'uns today..........
I remember we had a huge box of old skeleton keys that we used to play with, that my parents threw away -
Those keys would be worth a fortune now, they were from Victorian times!

My Mum always told me that before I leave the house in the morning, 'Stand up straight, pull your shoulders back, and put a Smile on your face' -
Which I still (unconsciously) do every morning!
''Take Charlie off your back'' was one of my Grandmothers- meaning 'don't hunch, stand straight'. I've no idea why 'Charlie' though.

Something my mother used to say, which I think is very wise, is "Never talk about politics or religion with someone you don't know."
My Dad taught us to "Never talk about politics or religion at a dinner table." (so in mixed company so basically the same thing). I was dating a girl when I was 18, her Mum was the secretary of a then famous politician, her parents had invited me round to join them all for a meal one night and her Dad asked me "So, who will you be voting for in this upcoming election?." .. "My Dad's taught me never to discuss politics or religion at a dinner table sorry.". He didn't push the matter.

Some of these things are less 'wisdom' and more 'superstition'. When does something move from being 'folk wisdom' (ie don't swim until 2 hours after eating, open windows during a thunderstorm) into 'superstition' (don't cross knives, no new shoes on the table, etc)? Anyone any ideas?

Some of these things are less 'wisdom' and more 'superstition'. When does something move from being 'folk wisdom' (ie don't swim until 2 hours after eating, open windows during a thunderstorm) into 'superstition' (don't cross knives, no new shoes on the table, etc)? Anyone any ideas?
We were told that we couldn't swim for 1/2 hour after eating, that 2 hours is a bit extreme, but I think much of it is an overhang from Victorian times.
We weren't allowed to wear shoes in the house, they were to be taken off at the door. After all, there were no vacuum cleaners in days of old!

Back