• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Agreed. It’s going to be prolonged and complex and the finger pointing and whistle blowing evident... lots of “ Well I did say, or I told them but they didn’t listen...”

And whilst you can sign a waiver personally before stepping aboard something like the Titan…

Under English law waivers of liability are often not worth the paper they are written on. It is not lawful to exclude liability for death or personal injury caused through negligence. Any such contractual terms are simply struck out.

Under English law waivers of liability are often not worth the paper they are written on. It is not lawful to exclude liability for death or personal injury caused through negligence. Any such contractual terms are simply struck out.
Precisely.
Otherwise it would be seen as carte blanche for firms to be fatally negligent. Rather like a criminal getting their victim to sign an agreement to be a victim and then expecting the law to let them commit the crime.

The Sun newspaper has done a very short animated video of what happened when the sub imploded. Do their readership really need this?

These people are sick to the core.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/22796369/horror-submarine-implosion-tiktok-video/

It's a TikTok video and has popped up in reporting on most newspapers.

Newspapers using Tweets and TikTok as news in another matter, but this is not a case of The Sun paying an agency to make an animated video for them.

Medical examiners have been brought in because human remains may have been found in the wreckage.

Impressive with that implosion force.
I suppose, gruesome as it sounds, some remains would've been compressed into 'packages', like something being vacuum packed. Either that or the M.E. have to identify remnant ... 'material' as human, then get a DNA identifier.

Impressive with that implosion force.
I suppose, gruesome as it sounds, some remains would've been compressed into 'packages', like something being vacuum packed. Either that or the M.E. have to identify remnant ... 'material' as human, then get a DNA identifier.
Thank you for this eloquent expression of what's been rattling vulgarly around inside my head ever since I heard the word recovered. :curt:

Thank you for this eloquent expression of what's been rattling vulgarly around inside my head ever since I heard the word recovered. :curt:

Having seen the aftermath of the Byford Dolphin accident (and wished I could unsee it), I'm sure any organic material remaining inside the Titan would be in a rather ghastly state.

Having seen the aftermath of the Byford Dolphin accident (and wished I could unsee it), I'm sure any organic material remaining inside the Titan would be in a rather ghastly state.

One would imagine there won't be much. The fish will have seen to that.

The wreckage they found was the landing pad and the front portal (I think)

Already the hard of thinking on a very well known social media site are questioning the whole thing with comments like "it doesn't look like an implosion to me" there's a conspiracy in the making it's Dunning-Kruger gone wild yet again

The wreckage they found was the landing pad and the front portal (I think)

Already the hard of thinking on a very well known social media site are questioning the whole thing with comments like "it doesn't look like an implosion to me" there's a conspiracy in the making it's Dunning-Kruger gone wild yet again
And of course these commentators will have witnessed the results of many objects imploding won't they?

I don’t know if it is true, but in the past I read that hundreds of empty shoes are around the wreck where the bodies have been dissolved away.

I know I have seen photos of dishes scattered everywhere.

Sounds like my place but there has been no implosion here.

(I may be wrong, of course).

It appears the Titanic split into and did not implode.

Maybe on the way down with lots of places for the water to go, the pieces of the ship equalized ?

Why water tight door were not closed may have been the “ ego “ of the captain.

It is claimed the ship left port with an active fire in the coal storage which if true is like plane taking off with a fire burning away in the luggage compartment.

Again the “ ego “ the Captain.

It appears the Titanic split into and did not implode.

Maybe on the way down with lots of places for the water to go, the pieces of the ship equalized ?

Why water tight door were not closed may have been the “ ego “ of the captain.

It is claimed the ship left port with an active fire in the coal storage which if true is like plane taking off with a fire burning away in the luggage compartment.

Again the “ ego “ the Captain.
Well, I don’t think the “ ego” of Captain Smith is really a factor... I think hubris is more appropriate- He was very respected, long serving, very experienced and highly regarded - in fact certain passengers would only travel on White Star liners as long as He was in command...but of course, all those attributes compared to the standards of today may well of been found wanting- and he had had collisions in His career. Also consider the very rigid command structure of the day, and the ability or lack of questioning a superior Officers orders.

Therefore we have to see them in their time and context.

As for the coal bunker fire, it was a fairly common occurrence, due to the huge amounts of coal dust and not unusual in ships of that time; this is regarded as a major factor in the sinking of the Lusitania, igniting and then exploding coal dust after the torpedo strike, contributing very much to Her rapid sinking.

Also the “ water tight” doors were only effective up to a point - Titanic did not have a fully compartmentalised structure up to Her deck which allowed the incoming water to overflow and flood each successive compartment in turn; and whilst She could stay afloat a lot longer or possibly for good with 4 compartments flooded, She had been split across 5 and Her fate was sealed.

Water tight doors were often left open- even in Royal Navy warships, when not at action stations- because they hampered movement, so again, maybe bad practice but not ego.

Hubris, combined with a whole series of small mistakes, mishaps, a bit of sloppiness, failure to communicate effectively and yes maybe the false confidence of security of the sheer size of these ships, provided a nexus for disaster...

Sorry went a bit off point there- my apologies.

As far as the game controller situation is concerned, I've seen two points of view.
Both say they are used in military settings to be familiar and muscle-memory easy for this generation of users.
However, the engineer says "the military uses controllers that aren't actually game controllers, just look like them. They've been tested to extreme conditions and there are back-up systems. The Titan just took a game controller."

Someone that had been on the sub said that they had some sort of emergency on his dive,
and that they had to rock the sub using their body weight to dislodge the emergency weights
on the landing skids to bring it up.
Sod that.

That's really scary on three levels.
Firstly, the failure of the system to jettison ballast needed physical rocking by the submersible. What if they were unable to wobble it around enough?
Secondly, all it would take was turbulence to drop ballast by accident.
Thirdly, there was no back-up to an emergency system on a vehicle operating in such hostile settings.

There were at least 2 other systems, one hydraulic another electronic, I think the gravity
as in having to dislodge the weights was the last resort, so the other 2 had likely already
been tried and failed, if thats so then they were very lucky indeed.

There were at least 2 other systems, one hydraulic another electronic, I think the gravity
as in having to dislodge the weights was the last resort, so the other 2 had likely already
been tried and failed, if thats so then they were very lucky indeed.
Especially when you think that they would have had a few days of knowing that the oxygen was running out rather than the near instantaneous death suffered by the 5. It does not bear thinking about...

OceanGate has suspended its commercial operations.

Well, can't imagine it has too many prospective customers at present...!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jul/06/oceangate-suspends-operations-titan-submersible
I believe this announcement sits firm in the 'no ... really?' slot of commentary.
When your CEO has died in a tragic accident while touting for business, and - for right or wrong - a lot of information is being presented to a public that otherwise wouldn't have even thought about it*, the 'suspension of operations' is blindingly obvious.
I mean, what're they going to do?
"HELL, it's tough on the families of the dead an' all, but we want YOU to pay for the building of Titan II. I mean it's what he ... er ... they would have wanted." is not a good sales pitch!

* Since I'm not in the income bracket, it would never occur to me that I could waste thousands on a sightseeing trip which involved me with a waiver which mentioned the RISK of DEATH several times. I might not be the most adventurous person. But I'm also neither a scientist, explorer, nor an expert in any particular field.
If I were paid to be a test pilot then I'd accept and understand the risk. But I wouldn't be strapped into an experimental jet aeroplane and told to 'enjoy the experience' AND pay for it.

There's a video on YouTube that purports to be an explanation of the text of a leaked record of messages between the sub and the support vessel.

It goes into detail about how deep the sub was diving at different times and how these figures fit into how the disaster supposedly played out.

If it's genuine, there would have been a lag between the crew noticing a problem and the fatal implosion; they'd've had 20 minutes or so to worry about it.

Sounds farfetched.

I think it's been said that the microphone 'failure sensors' were useless at that depth, as any failure would be so fast that you'd get a microsecond of sound.
It's also been said that if carbon fibre fails, it doesn't make a loud noise - it just breaks.

You would think at the first sign of that kind of trouble they would dump the ballast and be on the way up, though I don’t think they had time and it would be pretty instantaneous

Back