• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

It's funny that people in Range Rovers think they can go anywhere.
Well, they can go (almost) anywhere, but not on 'road' tyres.
Also that’s probably the only time that “plastic jeep” has been anywhere near off-road... except of course when kerb parked outside a school and being a 1.5 ton trip hazard...
Imagine working in the R and D dept of any of the makers of these ridiculous, bloated, graceless hulks ... thinking “ what’s the point of putting in 4 wheel drive, traction, transfer boxes, EBD, ABC, ESP etc etc, when it’s never gonna be used”!?

All yer need is a decent old Series 2 or 3 Landy with a good old Rover 3.5 V8 slotted in, about as complex as a pencil-then add decent tyres and from experience, you can go pretty much anywhere you like...;)

I tried to push an EV stuck on boggy ground a few months ago - first problem was two-wheel drive (front) and one of those wheels was off the ground. Second problem was because of the batteries, it weighed two tonnes.
That’s the prob- I recently stopped to help a Dutch couple on their way home who’s Tesla had rear ended another car - luckily no one hurt and they admitted it was their fault for not stopping quick enough- all the air bags had fired; and I offered to push it, only to be told that Tesla’s “ lock up” in the case of a severe shunt...and that the recovery services are very reluctant to either tow of trailer EVs due to the fire risk!
It was true though, the b@gger just wouldn’t move an inch when we tried to give it a go!
I left them with coffee etc and the hubby was on the phone talking to Tesla customer services, to see there was any way software wise to unlock the wheels etc... anybody else heard of this’ll?

That’s the prob- I recently stopped to help a Dutch couple on their way home who’s Tesla had rear ended another car - luckily no one hurt and they admitted it was their fault for not stopping quick enough- all the air bags had fired; and I offered to push it, only to be told that Tesla’s “ lock up” in the case of a severe shunt...and that the recovery services are very reluctant to either tow of trailer EVs due to the fire risk!
It was true though, the b@gger just wouldn’t move an inch when we tried to give it a go!
I left them with coffee etc and the hubby was on the phone talking to Tesla customer services, to see there was any way software wise to unlock the wheels etc... anybody else heard of this’ll?
They're so heavy and heavily geared that you can't just push them. Don't have an accident in a Tesla by not buying a Tesla in the first place.

Oh, I see. Right, Er... Carry on.

From Auntie Beeb...

'Ritual mass murder' report in Chapel St Leonards was yoga class

A yoga class was mistaken for a "ritual mass murder" scene after members of the public saw several people lying on the floor and reported it to police.

Five police cars descended on the North Sea Observatory in Chapel St Leonards, Lincolnshire, on Wednesday night.
Yoga teacher Millie Laws said she thought reports of her being a "mass murderer" were a "joke at first".

Lincolnshire Police confirmed everyone was safe and well, and the call was made with "good intentions".

Morto! :)

Also that’s probably the only time that “plastic jeep” has been anywhere near off-road... except of course when kerb parked outside a school and being a 1.5 ton trip hazard...
Imagine working in the R and D dept of any of the makers of these ridiculous, bloated, graceless hulks ... thinking “ what’s the point of putting in 4 wheel drive, traction, transfer boxes, EBD, ABC, ESP etc etc, when it’s never gonna be used”!?

All yer need is a decent old Series 2 or 3 Landy with a good old Rover 3.5 V8 slotted in, about as complex as a pencil-then add decent tyres and from experience, you can go pretty much anywhere you like...;)
And then you go around solving crimes....

British-4x4-4.png
5f9c7d49df952249519f40bde8425124--british-mystery-series-british-tv-series-bbc.jpg

Let’s rerail this thread:

Van driver gets caught out by high tide

A van driver got caught out by an extra-high tide, leaving him stranded 100 metres from the shore in north Norfolk.

TELEMMGLPICT000348364082_16941626374910_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq-x7cCC-ZG6ze-hWeTskdmEYG9CS0StVJnYtjachAhMc.jpeg

He set out from the village of Thornham to visit an address on the marshes, but the fast-moving tide rapidly covered the access road.

The driver sought refuge on one remaining piece of dry land next to a barn. He had to stay there for several hours before the tide ebbed away enough for the driver to make it back to the mainland.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/09/08/van-caught-stranded-high-tide-norfolk-thornham/

maximus otter

I've just made a stupid mistake.

I went out picking blackberries - it's a very good year, and the farmers have just trimmed the hedges back, which means many more blackberries are accessible. So I went out for a wander, with my bowl clasped to my chest.

I managed to pick several pounds of berries, which is great. But. Because a lot of normally not accessible parts have been trimmed back, I've been leaning across hedge tops and, in consequence, I have received some quite drastic nettle stings, on my hands, on my face and on my ears.

This may not mean anything to you, but these stings are vicious. Both hands and one of my ears are stinging savagely. Let this be a lesson to you, don't go blackberrying without ear defenders.

I went out picking blackberries - it's a very good year, and the farmers have just trimmed the hedges back, which means many more blackberries are accessible. So I went out for a wander, with my bowl clasped to my chest.

I managed to pick several pounds of berries, which is great. But. Because a lot of normally not accessible parts have been trimmed back, I've been leaning across hedge tops and, in consequence, I have received some quite drastic nettle stings, on my hands, on my face and on my ears.

This may not mean anything to you, but these stings are vicious. Both hands and one of my ears are stinging savagely. Let this be a lesson to you, don't go blackberrying without ear defenders.
Picked blackberries a couple of weeks ago, and while my hands and ears were okay, I was wearing shorts so my legs were uncomfortable for a fair few hours. Trousers would have helped a good deal...

Lovely blackberry and apple crumble with apples from our tree, which is also bounteous this year.

Hope you recovered.

Picked blackberries a couple of weeks ago, and while my hands and ears were okay, I was wearing shorts so my legs were uncomfortable for a fair few hours. Trousers would have helped a good deal...

Lovely blackberry and apple crumble with apples from our tree, which is also bounteous this year.

Hope you recovered.
Ear still hurts. Have been looking for dock leaves, but then suppose that walking around pressing a dock leaf to my ear is not going to disabuse my neighbours of the belief that I am slightly bonkers.

Ear still hurts. Have been looking for dock leaves, but then suppose that walking around pressing a dock leaf to my ear is not going to disabuse my neighbours of the belief that I am slightly bonkers.
Dock always grows near by to where stinging nettles grow. You also need to scrunch up the leaf.

The internet tells me that nettle stings are acidic & to

try treating it with soap, milk or a dilute solution of baking soda, all of which are alkaline.

It is often claimed that crushed dock leaves relieve the pain because their alkaline sap neutralises the nettle’s formic acid. But dock leaf sap is acidic too, so this cannot be true. Nevertheless, many find that the dock leaf remedy seems to work, so there may be other reasons for this.

One possibility is that dock leaf juice evaporating from the skin may have a surface cooling effect on the burning sensation. Another is that dock leaves might contain natural antihistamines that reduce the irritation, though none have been identified. The placebo effect, where faith in the efficacy of dock juice might lower the perception of the sting symptoms, cannot be discounted either.

The internet tells me that nettle stings are acidic & to
I find that dock leaves aren't so great at relieving the sting, but they do stop it turning into an itchy mess later on. Which would mean that they probably contain some kind of antihistamene effect.

I find that dock leaves aren't so great at relieving the sting, but they do stop it turning into an itchy mess later on. Which would mean that they pr
obably contain some kind of antihistamene effect.
Apparently Scientists say not so, and in fact mention that it does nothing at all!
However, I did find this extract online, from -
https://www.countrylife.co.uk/natur...actually-soothe-stinging-nettle-stings-231517
which rather curiously makes mention of the 'Doctor Leaf' which I thought was quite interesting.
I also remember the numerous occasions when my Parents would tell me to rub Butter on rashes and bruises etc - so I wonder if in fact it was the Butter that was left on the surfaces of the Dock leaf (the 'Doctor Leaf') that helped treat the Nettle rash/itches? (It seems there is nothing about that on the internet.)

Screenshot (363).png

Interesting stuff eh? :bthumbup:

Also - I see on my news feed today that a warning has gone out for EU, and UK (London area) that Red Fire Ants might have hitched their way over. I doubt if dock leaves would do much to help stings from them, but found this advice should anyone come across them by chance. . .
https://www.pestworld.org/videos/health/health-checks-red-imported-fire-ant-stings/

Last edited:
I seem to dimly remember that vinegar could be dabbed onto nettle stings.
Or would that make the stinging worse?

On Sunday, out cycling, I stopped to examine a bridge which seemed to have been hit by a passing vehicle. Didn't notice the nettles and managed to drag a foot through them, stinging the front of my ankle. Techy gave me the dock leaf treatment.
The stings seemed extra-painful somehow. The skin was tinging for ages afterwards.

This was nearly an hour before I decided to fall off and bruise my elbow. Healthy outdoor exercise, yeah. :chuckle:

Was watching a clip on metal detecting in the US (PA) where the unfortunate commentator was stung through her canvas shoes by burn hazel but all I could see was nettles. Dock leaves have always worked for me, (although never in a salad).

Long, long ago, I attended a party on the Sheppey Island. Location unimportant, just minor detail.
We'd motorbiked to the isolated village where the party was at, and had a great time. One of our group decided to pop down the shops for some 'munchies', so hopped on his bike and I rode pillion. It was a balmy night, and stupidly, we wore jeans 'n' t-shirts. Crash helmets, of course.
Coming back, along the unfamiliar lane, my mate took a corner too wide, left the road and ran along a ditch like a needle in a groove, only slowing and tilting over when coming to a stop. No real harm done, we wrangled the bike out, straightened the wing mirror, pulled all the weeds and greenery from the engine and wheels and went back - still laughing at our silliness.
When we re-entered the party, bearing biscuits, crisps, chocolate etc. someone pointed out that our jeans had one or two nettle leaves stuck to them. We explained about the mishap ... then realised actually, really, how much the tingling on our arms and hands had increased in ... intensity! We ended up in agony!

Long, long ago, I attended a party on the Sheppey Island. Location unimportant, just minor detail.
We'd motorbiked to the isolated village where the party was at, and had a great time. One of our group decided to pop down the shops for some 'munchies', so hopped on his bike and I rode pillion. It was a balmy night, and stupidly, we wore jeans 'n' t-shirts. Crash helmets, of course.
Coming back, along the unfamiliar lane, my mate took a corner too wide, left the road and ran along a ditch like a needle in a groove, only slowing and tilting over when coming to a stop. No real harm done, we wrangled the bike out, straightened the wing mirror, pulled all the weeds and greenery from the engine and wheels and went back - still laughing at our silliness.
When we re-entered the party, bearing biscuits, crisps, chocolate etc. someone pointed out that our jeans had one or two nettle leaves stuck to them. We explained about the mishap ... then realised actually, really, how much the tingling on our arms and hands had increased in ... intensity! We ended up in agony!
Yes. . . it can take a wee while before it really kicks-in!

My family on my mother's side all lived on Sheppey. I rarely see it mentioned anywhere (unless I mention it myself).

I was told by my dad, a countryman to his fingertips, that if nettles are newly grown or haven't stung for a while, the sting is more potent. This is why I think my stings were so 'sting-y', because of the cutting of the hedge they are nettles that haven't had contact with anything for a while.
Much better now, by the way, thank you, although one hand still has a touch of a tingle.

My family on my mother's side all lived on Sheppey. I rarely see it mentioned anywhere (unless I mention it myself).

I was told by my dad, a countryman to his fingertips, that if nettles are newly grown or haven't stung for a while, the sting is more potent. This is why I think my stings were so 'sting-y', because of the cutting of the hedge they are nettles that haven't had contact with anything for a while.
Much better now, by the way, thank you, although one hand still has a touch of a tingle.
'Tingle-itus' nasty stuff! :)

:rofl:
An author friend of mine always insists ...
"If you want your book to be taken seriously then work with serious people - editors, proof readers, cover artists, and so on."
So either the author is an idiot for not checking, or the artist is an idiot ... end of. Could be both, I suppose.

This is more of a personal silly mistake. I sat down to read my book Island of the Colourblind by Oliver Sacks. The first page had reviews of books by China Mieville. The next page had a small biography of China Mieville.
Then came the title page. Railsea by China Mieville.
Somehow the publisher had managed to put an entirely different book inside the cover, instead of the Oliver Sacks book. At least China Mieville is a decent author too.

London apartment block that deviates from plans must be torn down, says council

Buildings rarely look as good as the airbrushed architects’ visualisations produced to persuade planners to grant permission. Extra sharp highlights, implausibly blue skies and deeper colours are all part of the dark arts of the computer-generated rendering.

But the gulf between what was proposed for an apartment complex rising 23 storeys above the Thames in south-east London and what was actually built has finally proved too much.

After counting 26 major deviations from the original planning permission that it granted, the Royal Borough of Greenwich has taken the extraordinary move – “unprecedented”, it said – of ordering the developers of the Mast Quay II development to pull it down. It means tenants in 204 flats now face the prospect of finding somewhere else to live.
Aidan Smith, cabinet member for regeneration, described it as a “mutant development that is a blight on the landscape”. He said: “If a scheme matching what has been built at Mast Quay Phase II was submitted for planning permission today, it would be refused, and we cannot let what has been delivered at Mast Quay Phase II go unchallenged.”

Comer Homes Group, which acts as landlord as well as developer, describes the buildings on its website as a “luxury development of two- and three-bedroom riverside apartments. A magnificent crafted living space with panoramic views of the River Thames and vistas of the capital.”

But the deviations noted by the council included a missing glazed curtain wall that was supposed to give the appearance of a sail, smaller balconies and windows, no roof gardens or children’s play areas and “non-accessible ‘accessible’ apartments that have steps to the balconies so that wheelchair users cannot use their outdoor space”.

There was supposed to be an underground car park, but that wasn’t built, the council said, and instead surface car parking occupied land that had been earmarked for gardens.

On Tuesday, the council said in a statement that its “extensive investigation over the last year has concluded that the completed Mast Quay Phase II built-to-rent development has been built without planning permission and is therefore unlawful because it is so substantially different to the scheme that was originally permitted by the planning permission given in 2012.

The artists impression v The reality
1695843148023.png

Back