• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things That Scared You (But Aren't Obviously 'Scary')

Ref Blink and the Weeping Angels.

When this was aired my daughter was a big Dr Who fan, I suspect she felt that Billie Piper wasn't good enough for him. We had to have a wall replastered in the small lounge , giving us a big , clean smooth canvas. What to draw there- reader we did a seven foot tall Weeping Angel looking towards the door. Currently concealed by wallpaper, just waiting to be uncovered by the next occupants.

Th

Then when it had ceased for years and years.... Four years ago I moved from a sheep farm to a top floor flat in a lovely old building . About a year or so ago , I was in bed but couldn't sleep. My bedroom is next to my front door which 8 can see as I always have my bedroom door open. So... This night , I was lying on my side , annoyed I couldn't fall asleep. Then I hear the front door open and shut and little footsteps across the floor and something gets into my bed and spoons me is the only way I can describe it. Whatever it was seemed to be half my size and again I had this sense of dread. Then....then I feel little cold kisses on my neck which was terrifying and I was paralyzed but I thrashed and screamed and swore and suddenly it was gone. It was absolutely bizarre. DID I fall asleep?? I can't decide whether this is my imagination or it bloody happened ??!! Since then it hasn't happened again... My last gf refused point blank to sleep in there without me !! All this weird stuff in the past and when I thought it was over it reappears in this bizarre horrible way.... I don't know what to think !!
That's just it isn't it realising that it could well be a product of your own brain as per the usual rational explainations doesn't really help. It's like you are trying to reassure yourself but it's not really working. With me I could never decide what the real motives of the entities were. Whether they were evil meant me well or even were just testing my mental strength. The feeling tired but dreading letting go. I'm 74 and haven't had it happen for a year or two and in any case I don't think what I had was as terrifying as what you had. Bad enough mind which is why I can empathise with you! We've got a thread dedicated to this sort of thing I mean to post about my experience there one of these days. Hope you'll be free of it now!

That's just it isn't it realising that it could well be a product of your own brain as per the usual rational explainations doesn't really help. It's like you are trying to reassure yourself but it's not really working. With me I could never decide what the real motives of the entities were. Whether they were evil meant me well or even were just testing my mental strength. The feeling tired but dreading letting go. I'm 74 and haven't had it happen for a year or two and in any case I don't think what I had was as terrifying as what you had. Bad enough mind which is why I can empathise with you! We've got a thread dedicated to this sort of thing I mean to post about my experience there one of these days. Hope you'll be free of it now!
Well.... Back at you. I hope your experiences have ceased too.... Hopefully that last one was a blip , whatever it was but it's no fun , is it ?? I have researched the whole night terrors thing for decades and it's strange that there are so many similar cases but I've yet to come across anyone else who has reported the whole spinning top thing it did , or my brain did... Just weird. Not at all in a "Ooh look I'm so different" way , it just puzzles me

I look forward to reading about your experience .... If that doesn't sound ghoulish !!

Are we getting into 'obviously scary' territory here? @Mods
Yes that's what I was thinking. I'll have a look tomorrow and find the appropriate thread to put my (tame by comparison) experience on it.

Well.... Back at you. I hope your experiences have ceased too.... Hopefully that last one was a blip , whatever it was but it's no fun , is it ?? I have researched the whole night terrors thing for decades and it's strange that there are so many similar cases but I've yet to come across anyone else who has reported the whole spinning top thing it did , or my brain did... Just weird. Not at all in a "Ooh look I'm so different" way , it just puzzles me
The spinning thing is interesting. I've had trouble, sometimes when falling asleep, sometimes in the middle of the night when I suddenly awake, with a sensation I usually describe as "spiraling further away from fixing the problem" (where my mind feels like the newspaper's been pulled out from under it, and, while I can try to rationalize what might represent a problem of that magnitude, it's nonspecific). It's purely brain-based, but it's intolerably stressful, and I have to wake up enough to get it to subside before I can try falling asleep again. I've always considered it a malfunction of my brain's dreaming components. You sounds like you're describing literal spinning, but it might be closer than normal to what I get (nobody ever seems to know what I'm describing).

The spinning thing is interesting. I've had trouble, sometimes when falling asleep, sometimes in the middle of the night when I suddenly awake, with a sensation I usually describe as "spiraling further away from fixing the problem" (where my mind feels like the newspaper's been pulled out from under it, and, while I can try to rationalize what might represent a problem of that magnitude, it's nonspecific). It's purely brain-based, but it's intolerably stressful, and I have to wake up enough to get it to subside before I can try falling asleep again. I've always considered it a malfunction of my brain's dreaming components. You sounds like you're describing literal spinning, but it might be closer than normal to what I get (nobody ever seems to know what I'm describing).
I always swore I was awake , but who knows.... The mind is a terrible thing to taste as Al Jourgensen once opined. It was or seemed to me , literal spinning, like a top either on my bed or on the floor. It seemed to get faster and faster in some kind of vortex is the only way I can describe it with an evil presence pressing down on me. Who knows , but it happened regularly for over a decade. I still can't decide whether it was real or my mind was trying to mess me up.

I know it isn't scary, but the images of the Crooked House pub which have been all over the news recently freak me a wee bit (the ones taken prior to it being reduced to rubble). I'm not sure why, maybe because I know it looked wrong.

It's odd because that sort of thing wouldn't normally bother me. And before anyone suggests otherwise, I was nowhere near Staffordshire around the time of its demise.

I know it isn't scary, but the images of the Crooked House pub which have been all over the news recently freak me a wee bit (the ones taken prior to it being reduced to rubble). I'm not sure why, maybe because I know it looked wrong.

It's odd because that sort of thing wouldn't normally bother me. And before anyone suggests otherwise, I was nowhere near Staffordshire around the time of its demise.
Techy and I stayed in such a slopey hotel that when you got out of bed you might slide along the floor and out through the window.

I kind of know what you mean, Beresford. It's unnerving rather than scary. Which does make a kind of sense, because we are so used to things such as buildings being all square and perpendicular. Things that aren't seem odd.

Anyone else remember those 'crooked house' things you used to get at funfairs? Maybe you still do get them. They used to mess with my head a bit (as I suppose they were meant to!) Once or twice when visiting old medieval buildings where the floors of the upper storeys are all warped and slope-y, I've been reminded of how those old crooked house things used to make me feel. Woozy in a slightly off-balance way (and my sense of balance has always been pants).

I kind of know what you mean, Beresford. It's unnerving rather than scary. Which does make a kind of sense, because we are so used to things such as buildings being all square and perpendicular. Things that aren't seem odd.
I wonder if people's balance and spatial awareness were better/different in the past?

Today, as you say, we are used to things being level and plumb and having smooth, flat surfaces to walk on wherever we go (even through woodland sometimes).

A mate of mine once had a flat above a shop in a genuine Tudor half-timbered building in Canterbury. The floor was so uneven we lost several RPG dice as they hit the floor and carried on rolling ...

I wonder if people's balance and spatial awareness were better/different in the past?

Today, as you say, we are used to things being level and plumb and having smooth, flat surfaces to walk on wherever we go (even through woodland sometimes).
I think the floors were level when the houses were built, but warping and subsidence and wear and tear will make the floors dip. If anything, craftsmen were better in the past (particularly in the big, expensive houses that are the ones that tend to have survived into the present day).

Remember though that craftsmen of olden days had to mostly* make do with joining things together with 'skill' rather than the use of nails or the later invention, screws.
Although such things existed way back in time (metal nails dating from pre-roman times have been found in large numbers and they were known to the ancient Greeks too) a way of mass-producing 'cut nails' was not invented until the late 1700s.
So most properties and furniture from before then would have mostly been held together through the use of carefully constructed joints that lock together along with 'wooden nails' to hold things in place.

(* depending on wealth, and availability of materials, and access to a forge and/or blacksmith)

This is the stupidest thing in the world, I mean really....

When I was little...3 or 4 I think? I was scared of this 45, specifically, the label scared me. We used to put it on the record player and hide in the closet

1701618831208.png

Another stupid thing I was afraid of, there was a bridge in our city, one of those big old arch steel ones. One day as we were heading over to the bridge, I threw a major hissy fit over it.

When l was a kid in Norway (aged 6 or 7), we went to the seaside one day. l started to scratch my back and realised, to my horror, that a jellyfish had attached itself to me. I ran howling to my parents to have the ghastly thing removed.

lt was my shoulder blade.

maximus otter

When l was a kid in Norway (aged 6 or 7), we went to the seaside one day. l started to scratch my back and realised, to my horror, that a jellyfish had attached itself to me. I ran howling to my parents to have the ghastly thing removed.

lt was my shoulder blade.

maximus otter
That's almost as bad as a leech.:omg:

Remember though that craftsmen of olden days had to mostly* make do with joining things together with 'skill' rather than the use of nails or the later invention, screws.
Although such things existed way back in time (metal nails dating from pre-roman times have been found in large numbers and they were known to the ancient Greeks too) a way of mass-producing 'cut nails' was not invented until the late 1700s.
So most properties and furniture from before then would have mostly been held together through the use of carefully constructed joints that lock together along with 'wooden nails' to hold things in place.

(* depending on wealth, and availability of materials, and access to a forge and/or blacksmith)
Basic Wood Joints like these would have been used, even today some of these jointing methods are preferable when making quality items - even though some are made via the aid of machining methods, 'tis still very rewarding to make items by hand only.
https://www.finepowertools.com/woodworking/wood-joint-types/

It was Worzel Gummidge for me, still gives me major creeps looking at a photo of him!!! Really major deep fear.

I get the creeps around railway lines and in railway stations, not at all sure why but I think it had to do with a nightmare where I was in Darlington Railway station. One of them dreams where you know something really bad or terrifying is over there but you won’t look.

Also, apparently I was scared of my plastercine barber set….. when the plastercine is squished through the holes and becomes hair…. I don’t remember that one though.

It was Worzel Gummidge for me, still gives me major creeps looking at a photo of him!!! Really major deep fear.

I get the creeps around railway lines and in railway stations, not at all sure why but I think it had to do with a nightmare where I was in Darlington Railway station. One of them dreams where you know something really bad or terrifying is over there but you won’t look.

Also, apparently I was scared of my plastercine barber set….. when the plastercine is squished through the holes and becomes hair…. I don’t remember that one though.
I love the name 'HamandCheeseSandwich'. Terrific.

I used to work on the railways and when I worked for them there was no end of creepy stories. Some were pure bulls*it but some were not as you could tell from the person recounting the experience that what ever happened, it scared them.

Empty trains at night being driven to the place they need to be for the next morning to deserted sidings and the stories of the night cleaners to PWay workers working in tunnels. In Brighton where I worked there was many stories. I've been in a siding at night many times to drive a train to a different location for the morning and most train drivers will say it's not nice. A deserted out of the way station and held up on a red light......

edit: PWay. Permanent Way = The track.

I'm not exactly scared of buses without numbers or destinations but I do find them distinctly sinister.

I love the name 'HamandCheeseSandwich'. Terrific.

I used to work on the railways and when I worked for them there was no end of creepy stories. Some were pure bulls*it but some were not as you could tell from the person recounting the experience that what ever happened, it scared them.

Empty trains at night being driven to the place they need to be for the next morning to deserted sidings and the stories of the night cleaners to PWay workers working in tunnels. In Brighton where I worked there was many stories. I've been in a siding at night many times to drive a train to a different location for the morning and most train drivers will say it's not nice. A deserted out of the way station and held up on a red light......

edit: PWay. Permanent Way = The track.
We'll need those creepy railway stories please. :nods:
There's even a Railway Ghosts thread for them. :)

I had one of those! .. you pushed it down and it came out of the holes so it was supposed to be growing out of the head and it came with a sort of cardboard barbers shop back setting then you used small plastic scissors to *breath* cut that until you got bored or you Sister started an argument with for no real reason then she'd run down stairs crying so you'd always get the blame because she was a girl and you were a boy and that's the way the world works. I preferred Mr Frosty but I've realised that it was a bit shit since Slush Puppies were invented.

Warning contains Worzel

Last edited:
I had one of those! .. you pushed it down and it came out of the holes so it was supposed to be growing out of the head and it came with a sort of cardboard barbers shop back setting then you used small plastic scissors to *breath* cut that until you got bored or you Sister started an argument with for no real reason then she'd run down stairs crying so you'd always get the blame because she was a girl and you were a boy and that's the way the world works. I preferred Mr Frosty but I've realised that it was a bit shit since Slush Puppies were invented.

Warning contains Worzel

Yes, that’s the one… apparently I was shit scared of it! Maybe it’s the littles hole thing that’s been around on the internet, but turns out to be a lily seed pod or something. I have to say even that creeped me out a bit…. I got a mr frosty later in childhood…. Maybe even 16, and yes, probably the largest disappointment ever…. All them years of anticipation for the let down!

Back