• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things That Scared You (But Aren't Obviously 'Scary')

I'm not exactly scared of buses without numbers or destinations but I do find them distinctly sinister.
Do you know why?

Is it the not knowing? I only get creeped out at railways when the trains aren’t about, or may appear without warning.

I have no real idea why.

I think we do need to some of them scary railway stories.

Yes, that’s the one… apparently I was shit scared of it! Maybe it’s the littles hole thing that’s been around on the internet, but turns out to be a lily seed pod or something. I have to say even that creeped me out a bit…. I got a mr frosty later in childhood…. Maybe even 16, and yes, probably the largest disappointment ever…. All them years of anticipation for the let down!
My Dad found our old Mr Frosty in the shed when I was in my late 20's. The box was mouldy, the powder flavourings were obviously past the use by dates but I deep cleaned it so I could make alcohol Frosties for parties. With varying levels of success, most of them failures to be honest.

$30 ? Bargain…. Creeped out now before bed!

Thinking about it. I started a thread about how I always dream about Freddy Krueger… I’d hate to think I’d start dreaming of worzal gummidge
I had the exact same Worzal, Aunt Sally and interchangeable heads on a wooden cross toy. Or my Sister did. Either way, I remember playing with it for a bit in my bedroom but finding it a bit creepy or not 'warming to it' to be more honest. Or the TV show. I was busy playing about with my weird looking plastic men from some film called Star Wars at the time. Or Action Man. Space Lego was my favourite. Darth Vader looked like a twat.

Do you know why?

Is it the not knowing? I only get creeped out at railways when the trains aren’t about, or may appear without warning.

I have no real idea why.

I think we do need to some of them scary railway stories.
I really don't know, perhaps it's something to do with buses having a known and regular route and what chaos results if they haven't.

I really don't know, perhaps it's something to do with buses having a known and regular route and what chaos results if they haven't.
I wonder if it's something to do with the not understanding? I know that I would regularly be terrified of perfectly normal photographs that showed a particular event (and do NOT get me started on the terror of 'ghost' photographs inadequately signposted!) when there were no captions and I didn't understand what they were of. A simple photograph of, say, a hand at a window would scare me rigid, until someone explained that it was a picture of a windowcleaner taken from indoors. Once I knew, I was fine, but sometimes I'd just get a glimpse.... urggghghg....

I know that I would regularly be terrified of perfectly normal photographs that showed a particular event (and do NOT get me started on the terror of 'ghost' photographs inadequately signposted!) when there were no captions and I didn't understand what they were of. A simple photograph of, say, a hand at a window would scare me rigid, until someone explained that it was a picture of a windowcleaner taken from indoors. Once I knew, I was fine, but sometimes I'd just get a glimpse.... urggghghg....
I am not overly enthusiastic about unexpected photographs of spiders.

I had one of those! .. you pushed it down and it came out of the holes so it was supposed to be growing out of the head and it came with a sort of cardboard barbers shop back setting then you used small plastic scissors to *breath* cut that until you got bored or you Sister started an argument with for no real reason then she'd run down stairs crying so you'd always get the blame because she was a girl and you were a boy and that's the way the world works. I preferred Mr Frosty but I've realised that it was a bit shit since Slush Puppies were invented.

Warning contains Worzel

I had one of those! .. you pushed it down and it came out of the holes so it was supposed to be growing out of the head and it came with a sort of cardboard barbers shop back setting then you used small plastic scissors to *breath* cut that until you got bored or you Sister started an argument with for no real reason then she'd run down stairs crying so you'd always get the blame because she was a girl and you were a boy and that's the way the world works. I preferred Mr Frosty but I've realised that it was a bit shit since Slush Puppies were invented.

Warning contains Worzel

I just wanted to pipe up and say that while I truly empathize with your situation with your sister, that's not the only way the world works. My little brother would come up to me, unannounced, and kick me in the shin with his really hard little-boy-shoe (the old-fashioned kind that laced up, with very hard soles), then run away laughing. My mother told me I was responsible, since I was his big sister and should know how to defuse the situation. So it wasn't gender in my case, it was the fact that I was older and he was a cute little boy. That's the way my world worked. It seems you and I were both aggrieved. There was no justice! :-(

I just wanted to pipe up and say that while I truly empathize with your situation with your sister, that's not the only way the world works. My little brother would come up to me, unannounced, and kick me in the shin with his really hard little-boy-shoe (the old-fashioned kind that laced up, with very hard soles), then run away laughing. My mother told me I was responsible, since I was his big sister and should know how to defuse the situation. So it wasn't gender in my case, it was the fact that I was older and he was a cute little boy. That's the way my world worked. It seems you and I were both aggrieved. There was no justice! :-(
Lets do a deal. I'll find your brother and kick him in the shins in 2024 if you find my sister and set her up on a false charge Kate.

Lets do a deal. I'll find your brother and kick him in the shins in 2024 if you find my sister and set her up on a false charge Kate.
Sounds good to me! They say justice delayed is justice denied, but I think I still would be pleased with the balancing of the scales of justice. Make sure you wear heavy shoes, tee hee.

Health food stores and yoga lessons.
Jesus. That's even worse. Is it too late for me to retract my offer Kate? .. I can't stand hippies or their hangouts. One of them might start playing a guitar or bongos or something mate so you're going to want to wear a pair of Dr Martin's boots with steel toe caps for this one I reckon.

Jesus. That's even worse. Is it too late for me to retract my offer Kate? .. I can't stand hippies or their hangouts. One of them might start playing a guitar or bongos or something mate so you're going to want to wear a pair of Dr Martin's boots with steel toe caps for this one I reckon.
Bongos? Have you experienced a time slip back to the 1950s? Oh, well. I'll just have to fly cross-country (after buying myself some Doc Martin's) and take care of his shin myself. So now it's up to you to find your sister in those biker bars.

I am not overly enthusiastic about unexpected photographs of spiders.
Said this years ago - arachnophobia is very common. Advertisers who use spiders in their campaigns can expect to alienate arachnophobics. They'll associate the product with the thing they don't like and patronise a competitor.

Perhaps you could introduce them to each other and then they can make each other miserable. Cut out the middle man.

Trees - especially those with odd-shaped trunks and branches that seem like limbs - ready to grab you!!!

IMG_4931.jpeg

Last edited:
For some reason I find sailing ships really scary.

I mean the tea clipper sort with lots of masts and sails.

If one comes on the tv I have to look away and I try to make sure I do not see one for real.

That was a bit difficult when I worked in central Sydney near the harbour!

I am also not a fan of heights and when I was younger I used to have a recurring nightmare type dream where I fell a great distance and woke up just before I hit the ground. In my dream the ground wasn't normal ground it was thick wooden decking and I would wake up when I was a few feet above it while heading towards my terminal velocity.

Very strange as I am 59 now and still don't like sailing ships, although the scary falling nightmare hasn't returned for more than 45 years.

I have often wondered if the two are related in some way.

You are Eric Cartman and I claim my reward!

qp6h1se5ffv21.jpg

Back