• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
We went up to youngest's to exchange Christmas presents now they are over covid.
Grandson was very affectionate as he at last had the toy cat he so wanted. He peered at me intently and said " Nanna you have some wrinkles on your face"
And you say "yes and one day you will too." :) You can never be fake around a young child. They keep you grounded in reality.

Regarding the wrinkle thing, my favourite scene in the movie Logan's Run is when all of the under thirty people escape from the destruction of the city and see Peter Ustinov (cast as "old man"). One woman approaches him and tentatively touches his wrinkled face and grey hair.

This is the final scene:

A few days earlier one of my friends who is younger than me visited, and as she was leaving said that I look really good for my age so I guess it depends on how close you are in age.
It certainly takes a child to bring you down to earth.

I'm 66 and over the last few years it has really become apparent the truth of the saying 'youth is wasted on the young' and no more so than the other day when I saw a teenager suddenly sprinted across a road in seconds just as the traffic lights changed. Then he just carried on walking down the street as if nothing had happened. I was that teenager once who also just took it all for granted and thought it would never change.

When any celebrity that I've heard of dies, and I hear their age, it always brings me up short. Sure, I know everyone has a different life and nothing is set in stone but it always makes me shudder.
The reverse happens when I see or meet people and I find out they are younger than me but look older. I've not led the most healthiest life but I get a little comfort from it.

Anyone else seem to get plaque/tartar on mainly one or two teeth?

Pay attention to how you brush. It could be that those two teeth are being missed. My bottom front teeth, because of the shape of my jaw, I think, the hygienist says I tend to not brush in behind as well as with my other teeth. I try to make sure that I go over them a little extra.

Happy Hundredth Birthday Bill!

Haverhill D-Day veteran's surprise at 100th birthday party​

Bill Gladden

Bill Gladden was aged just 20 when he was shot in France

A D-Day veteran shot just 12 days after being flown into Normandy was treated to a surprise party in Suffolk for his 100th birthday.

Bill Gladden was 20 at the time and serving with the 6th Airborne Reconnaissance Regiment. He was shot in the leg by a German tank and spent the next three years in a hospital back in the UK.

His family arranged the party on Friday in Haverhill, describing him as "a legend" and "an inspiration".

"He always says he didn't do much because he got injured, he got wounded," said his niece, Kaye Thorpe, 69. "He was only over there for about 12 days then he was three years in hospital - he had his ankle virtually blown off, shot off."

Bill Gladden at his part

Mr Gladden said he had no idea the party was planned for him

Mr Gladden had been with his unit at the time near the French village of Ranville, close to the strategically important Pegasus Bridge, which they were tasked with protecting. Before his service, he had been a builder, and after his recovery he worked in various jobs in factories and in payroll departments.

Although he had told his family he did not want "any fuss" when he turned 100 - on 13 January - Mrs Thorpe said they felt they had to mark the occasion with the surprise party at the local community centre in his home town. He was greeted by a rousing chorus of Happy Birthday.

A birthday cake in the shape of an Army uniform

A themed cake was presented to Mr Gladden

As people set off party poppers, the veteran, who was brought into the room in a wheelchair, mouthed "thank you".
When asked later by a guest if he had any idea about the surprise, he replied: "No idea whatsoever."

Mrs Thorpe said: "I just think he's a legend, what he's been through, what he's seen, what he's done."

She said Mr Gladden, at 100, was still "bright as a button" and "loves singing and painting, and has created watercolour artworks from his memories of the Second World War".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-suffolk-67967629

Mass General Brigham teaching hospital in Boston, Massachusetts released findings of a study of 5,000 people over two years.

The findings claim that taking a simple daily multivitamin may delay memory problems for about two years, but does not delay other common health problems.

I take a vitamin tablet daily so maybe that is good.

Vid at link

100-year-old veteran's 'birthday walk' in Portishead stops traffic

p0h79sny.jpg

01:10

"I was blown away by it, I could feel my eyes fill with tears."

Elizabeth Gibson accompanied her father, Arthur Oborne, for a special birthday breakfast on Wednesday - and dozens of people turned out to give him a round of applause on his way there.

Mr Oborne was wounded on D-Day and is the last surviving World War Two member of the Portishead Royal British Legion.

Video Journalist: Andy Howard

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-somerset-68107548

I just said to my neighbour 'Hello, I haven't seen you for a while' and he replied 'And long may it continue'.

Now, presuming he had misheard me, I cannot think what he thought I said other than maybe 'It hasn't rained for a while'.

It makes you wonder how much misunderstanding possibly arises in day to day, brief conversations with people, because he's probably gone inside and said to his wife 'That idiot says it hasn't rained for a while, when in actual fact it hammered it down this morning'.

I just said to my neighbour 'Hello, I haven't seen you for a while' and he replied 'And long may it continue'.

Now, presuming he had misheard me, I cannot think what he thought I said other than maybe 'It hasn't rained for a while'.

It makes you wonder how much misunderstanding possibly arises in day to day, brief conversations with people, because he's probably gone inside and said to his wife 'That idiot says it hasn't rained for a while, when in actual fact it hammered it down this morning'.
Unless... he doesn't want to see you...?

Vid at link

100-year-old veteran's 'birthday walk' in Portishead stops traffic

p0h79sny.jpg

01:10

"I was blown away by it, I could feel my eyes fill with tears."

Elizabeth Gibson accompanied her father, Arthur Oborne, for a special birthday breakfast on Wednesday - and dozens of people turned out to give him a round of applause on his way there.

Mr Oborne was wounded on D-Day and is the last surviving World War Two member of the Portishead Royal British Legion.

Video Journalist: Andy Howard

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-somerset-68107548
Wow. He doesn't look 100.

No. He’s really not wanting to see you.

Never too old to fly a spitfire. Vid at link.

Ex-RAF pilot flies Spitfire for first time aged 102

p0h95jk0.jpg

00:50

A former RAF squadron leader has flown a Spitfire for the first time at the age of 102.

Jack Hemmings was an early pioneer of Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF) - the world's largest humanitarian airline. His 20-minute flight from London Biggin Hill on Monday was to raise awareness and funds for the charity he co-founded 80 years ago.

Mr Hemmings, from Horam, East Sussex, said the flight was "absolutely delightful" but "very bumpy".

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-sussex-68210036

Never too old to fly a spitfire. Vid at link.

Ex-RAF pilot flies Spitfire for first time aged 102

p0h95jk0.jpg

00:50

A former RAF squadron leader has flown a Spitfire for the first time at the age of 102.

Jack Hemmings was an early pioneer of Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF) - the world's largest humanitarian airline. His 20-minute flight from London Biggin Hill on Monday was to raise awareness and funds for the charity he co-founded 80 years ago.

Mr Hemmings, from Horam, East Sussex, said the flight was "absolutely delightful" but "very bumpy".

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-sussex-68210036
102. Wow. I wonder where his mind went.

Back