• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

Man forced to destroy £500k lockdown 'monster mansion' after losing neighbour war

He got planning permission for an extension but instead built a large new house. The existing house was apparently demolished to make way for the new one.

A man who built himself a “monster mansion” without planning permission during lockdown after he bulldozed his modest semi-detached house has finally started to destroy his creation following an order to tear it down.

Gurwinder Singh built the four-bedroom property in Willenhall, West Midlands, back in 2020. But he was hit with more than 95 complaints from local residents and ordered to tear down the half-built home by Walsall Council.

He was also threatened with court action if he failed to comply with the enforcement notice by April next year. Work has now begun to demolish the structure and the first floor has been torn down, much to the relief of surrounding residents in Sandringham Avenue.

Maybe he was on Santa's naughty list.

A six-year-old boy who left on a flight for the Christmas holiday to visit his grandmother in south-west Florida, in the US, was put on the wrong plane and ended up 160 miles away in Orlando.

When the grandmother, Maria Ramos, arrived on Thursday at Southwest Florida International Airport in Fort Myers to greet her grandson, who was flying for the first time from Philadelphia, she was told he was not on the Spirit Airlines flight.

“I ran inside the plane to the flight attendant and I asked her ‘Where’s my grandson? He was handed over to you at Philadelphia?’

She said ‘No, I had no kids with me’,” Ms Ramos told WINK News.

She then got a call from her grandson from the airport in Orlando, telling her that he had landed.

In a statement Spirit Airlines said the boy was under the care and supervision of an airline employee the entire time, even though he was incorrectly put on a flight to Orlando.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/world/b...or-christmas-put-on-wrong-flight-1569066.html

It's usually trucks or buses that get stuck under bridges.

A video of an Air India plane stuck underneath an over-bridge in the capital, Delhi, has gone viral.

The scrapped plane, which had reportedly been sold off, was being transported when it got stuck. The video shows traffic passing by the plane whose wings appear to have been removed.

A journalist, who tweeted the video, shared a statement by Air India which said the airline had no connection with the plane anymore.

"This is a [deregistered] scrapped aircraft of Air India which has been sold off. This was transported last night by the party [new owners]. Air India has got no connection whatsoever with the aircraft under any circumstances," the statement read.

Delhi airport officials told the Times of India newspaper that the "aircraft certainly does not belong to the Delhi airport's fleet," and that the "driver may have made an error while transporting it."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-58798868

It's happened again.

Ex-Air India scrap plane gets stuck under bridge in Bihar​

Video shared on social media shows a plane jammed under a bridge in the city of Motihari, in the eastern Indian state of Bihar.
The ex-Air India scrap fuselage was travelling on a lorry from Assam to Mumbai, according to local media.

In other footage shared by Indian media, the plane can be seen slowly moving back out from under the bridge, reportedly with the help of local truck drivers.
  • Published 1 day ago
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-india-67843833

Gangster taunts rivals in video. Gets murdered days later

In Edinburgh

Marc Webley was gunned down near the Anchor Inn shortly before midnight in the Granton area of the city in what police described as a ‘targeted’ attack.

In the days leading up to Webley being killed, he recorded videos in response to an attempted attack on him where a car mounted a pavement and tried to mow him down.

Webley specifically mentioned other gangland figures including one who had a long-running feud with the Richardson family.

He also mentioned a gangster who was named in court as ordering the hit on Trainspotting T2 star Bradley Welsh who was shot dead outside his house by Sean Orman, 30, in 2019.

‘Do I look scared?’ Webley said to the camera in footage thought to be aimed at a gangland family. ‘Never. Yous all looked up to me, your boss looked up to me, remember that.

Taking a dig at an alleged enemy, he made rude gestures with his hand and continued: ‘Oh, how are you, Marc? You’re good at that ya f****** fat p**f.

‘You’re a chicken. You wish your brothers were violent like mine.

‘Me and my brothers will be remembered for being violent. Your brothers are chickens.’

He then goes on to appear to be mocking the death of Mr Welsh, who was known for being part of the Hibernian football hooligan gang Capital City Service in the 1980s and early 90s.

‘RIP Brad Welsh,’ he says. ‘Ha, ha, ha. Shot to the head. Duh do duh do, tick, tick, f****** boom. Tell someone that gives a f***. Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.’

In 2005, Webley and another man named James Tant were both sentenced to 11 years in prison at Glasgow High Court for an attempted murder in Edinburgh earlier that year.

Webley, who was 19 at the time, shot another man in Granton in what was described as a failed gangland hit.

It’s understood that Webley had told close friends that he was expecting to be attacked and had been carrying weapons wherever he went.
Video of rant at link.

1704287438723.png

Last edited:
Barratt Homes to demolish 88 new built houses due to defects

at the Darwin Green site in Cambridge

Barratt David Wilson Homes Cambridgeshire said last year the properties at Darwin Green needed to be knocked down owing to foundation issues. Four houses have already been demolished and more with work is set to continue over the next three months.

The massive development, located just over a mile from the city centre, has approval for up to 1,593 homes. It will also feature a new primary school, supermarket, library, central park, and sports facilities. Phase two of the development is currently under construction, with homes ranging from two to five bedrooms now on sale for between £575,995 and £850,995. It's believed that some of the affected homes had already been sold but are not yet occupied.
1705583500111.png

I sniff a dodgy deal going on - that's very expensive property in a prime location. I wonder if the revelation of bad building was unintentional ...
I know of two crooked, wealthy guys in Cambridge who'd happily 'invest' in that. I wonder what impact it'd have on the investors. It's a pricey additional cost - demolish and rebuild, eh?

I briefly lived in a brand new Barratts house and the workmanship was absolutely dire to say the least;

Gable end brickwork went half an inch out of plumb about 10 feet up (ie bricks overhung the course below).

Mortar all different colours (ie had not been gauged for consistent colour and strength).

Two doorways in kitchen- one to living room and one to under stairs- not only was one's architrave not level by a good couple of inches, it was higher than the door next to it (looked terrible).

Instructions for boiler left in flue so boiler would not work (ironic).

Walls far too thin- could hear neighbours coughing.

Fire surround not fixed securely...........................................

And it makes you wonder how many have got away with it.

It doesn't actually say what the problem with the foundations was for some reason.

Wrong strenth of concrete, or depth is about all I can think of - although neither of these should be possible because a small batch of concrete is sent off to be tested for strength (or used to be) and the dimensions for the trenches will be on the plans.

Last edited:
And it makes you wonder how many have got away with it.

It doesn't actually say what the problem with the foundations was for some reason.

Wrong strenth of concrete, or depth is about all I can think of - although neither of these should be possible because a small batch of concrete is sent off to be tested for strength (or used to be) and the dimensions for the trenches will be on the plans.
The only other thing I can think of is if the concrete was laid when temperature was too low..

Maybe, but 88 houses is quite an area to be affected..
That's true.

All I could find was this on Reddit so I don't know how reliable it is:

Apparently, it was really common knowledge that it was coming. Our snagger told us about it back in early May. According to him, they knew as early as winter last year but hoped it'd even out. Clearly, it fucking didn't. They think the exceptionally dry summer caused issues with the footings that nobody accounted for.

That's true.

All I could find was this on Reddit so I don't know how reliable it is:

Apparently, it was really common knowledge that it was coming. Our snagger told us about it back in early May. According to him, they knew as early as winter last year but hoped it'd even out. Clearly, it fucking didn't. They think the exceptionally dry summer caused issues with the footings that nobody accounted for.

Another comment from there:

Person who lives ‘round those parts here!

Most of the ‘80 new-builds’ are actually at the foundations stage and will not require actual demolition, though a couple dozen are unfortunately fully built up to the roof shingles and will need to come down.

Still, Daily Mail is, as usual, only fit for starting fires and keeping paint off of floors. :p

Another comment from there:
I read that one about the Daily Fail. I wouldn't have been that polite.

What puzzles me is why seemingly are no news sources saying what the actual cause of the problem were other than to simply state problems with the foundations.

As in:

My car has broken down.

What wrong with it?

It's broken down.

Perhaps the cause of the problem was easily intercepted, remedied, and would cast the developers in a 'bad light'.
"It's broken down."
"How?"
"I watched a YT video which told me the engine doesn't use as much fuel if you pour a bag of sugar in the tank before filling up."
Or ...
The cause of the problem was spotted early but corruption covered it up.
"Nah ... it'll be fine."

I always associate that 'building component' name with America and wooden tiles.
Yup, an American military canteen favourite, creamed beef on toast, is known as shit on a shingle. :chuckle:
Made no sense to me back in the day.

From what I can make out, fried corned beef or beef mince. It was a 'staple' of WW2 G.I.'s
I think there's a You Tube food history channel that shows him making the authentic SoaS.

I /think/ I've always called the wooden version shingles?
Yes, I think that's correct, but I've never seen those here.

I have occasionally seen ones that are pretending to be blue slates, but I'm not sure what they're made of -some kind of fibre cement type stuff I think- and you wouldn't call those shingles anyway.

Chester Indoor Market was emptied yesterday by an inadvertent chilli attack. Techy'd've LOVED it. :chuckle:

Chester Market evacuated after chilli fumes affect customers

A market in Chester was evacuated on Saturday because of fumes caused by a stall-holder “cooking a large amount of chillies”.

Chester fire and rescue service said vapour from the cooking of a large quantity of chilli oil had entered the market’s ventilation system.

Chester fire station posted on X: “Emergency services are at Chester Market after reports of customers being affected by fumes.

“This was due to cooking a large amount of chillies and there are no wider public health concerns. The market has been evacuated but we are working to get it back to normal asap.”

Back