• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

It's actually "chipped beef" not creamed. Dried beef is cooked in a white sauce (the shit) and served on a piece of buttered toast (shingle)

Had it at least once a week when I was a kid, it was cheap and filling.
We had beef dripping, which was the fat from a beef joint tipped onto dry bread.
I didn't ever partake myself though- far too young, you see.

Saver has two guesses to remember forgotten password - or lose £190 million of Bitcoin

Stefan Thomas would have been £190 million richer if only he could remember a forgotten password - but if he gets it wrong, the money will be lost to him forever

Thomas, who now lives in San Francisco, had been paid 7,002 in Bitcoin in 2011. His investment – which is today worth £190million - is currently locked away in a password-protected hard drive known as an IronKey. Under the terms of the security lock, if you forget your key, you have 10 attempts to try again, before it locks the digital wallet forever.

In the past decade, Thomas has used up eight of his 10 attempts hoping to regain access, but after multiple failed entries, he now has just two chances left – before his investment completely disappears into the abyss.

Beef dripping had jelly at the bottom of the basin and I liked to spread a little of it with the dripping on toast.
Dripping from any roast is a popular 'spread'. Here in Yorkshire/The North(?) it's called 'mucky bread'.
Me? It's ... meh. It's just fat on bread.
'In my day', it was a treat if you weren't well-off. Can't think why, since you needed to have a roast dinner to gather your own. It cost more to buy a tub in a butchers.

Another lost bitcoin story - £275 millions worth

James Howells, 38, is desperate to find the hard drive lost more than 10 years ago amid a spring clean of his office and says it ended up in a tip in his home city. His then partner is believed to have accidentally chucked the hard drive out.

He wants to dig for it in the local landfill site & is threatening to sue Newport City Council

A spokesperson added: "Newport City Council has been contacted multiple times since 2013 about the possibility of retrieving a piece of IT hardware said to contain bitcoins, which may or may not be in our landfill site.

"The council has told Mr Howells multiple times that excavation is not possible under our environmental permit, and that work of that nature would have a huge negative environmental impact on the surrounding area.

"The council is the only body authorised to carry out operations on the site. We have been very clear and consistent in our responses that we cannot assist Mr Howells in this matter. Our position has not changed. We will be offering no further comments on this issue as it takes up valuable officer time which could be spent on delivering services for the residents of Newport."

Not so much a silly mistake as one of the most horrifically, stupendously monumental cock-ups of all time: the space shuttle Columbia's 28th mission.

We've watched the BBC series about it. Depressingly, it's the same schtick as the causes of the Challenger disaster. Reputable experts repeatedly pointed out serious and potentially fatal flaws in the operation but were fobbed off or ignored on the basis of the macho NASA culture, especially the chain of command protocol.

Nobody could directly approach a senior manager with even a grave safety concern. They had to take their qualms to their own manager and hope the message was passed up the chain. It wasn't, or it was brushed aside.

Among the bereaved children, a seven year-old boy, Iain Clark, lost his mother Laurel in the crash.
We see him talking with her via the space link phone and hear him tell her how much he missed her. Other relations of the astronauts describe how they felt about their loved ones' space adventure. It's so sad.

Worst of all, when it became clear that the Shuttle was lost the astronauts' families were hustled off and led into a conference room where they were all told together that their loved ones were dead. Parents had no chance to prepare their children for this or to give them the news in the way they'd wish.

This was done in a spirit of openness and honesty which seemed more than a little ironic after the previous shenanigans.

Have to say, years ago I gave up a well-paid but demanding job and took something worse because my children needed me. Cost me a lot in many ways but I didn't regret it.
Young Iain Clark and the other bereaved children could have had their own parents to grow up with if the crew members with kids had put their families first and backed out. But nobody was doing that.

Another lost bitcoin story - £275 millions worth

James Howells, 38, is desperate to find the hard drive lost more than 10 years ago amid a spring clean of his office and says it ended up in a tip in his home city. His then partner is believed to have accidentally chucked the hard drive out.

He wants to dig for it in the local landfill site & is threatening to sue Newport City Council
Is this the same bloke who's always going on about his missing bitcoins or a new idiot for us to laugh at? :thought:

It's actually "chipped beef" not creamed. Dried beef is cooked in a white sauce (the shit) and served on a piece of buttered toast (shingle)

Had it at least once a week when I was a kid, it was cheap and filling.
I was taking the title of the dish from an online recipe. It's not known in Britain as far as I know.

What a shambles. :chuckle:

Trident missile test fails for second time in a row
The test firing of a Trident missile from a Royal Navy submarine has failed, for the second time in a row.

The latest test of the UK's nuclear deterrent was from HMS Vanguard and was witnessed by the defence secretary.

The missile's booster rockets failed and it landed in the sea close to the launch site, according to the Sun, which first reported the malfunction.

When on patrol missiles would usually carry nuclear warheads but they are not fitted for test fires.
The Ministry of Defence said the "nuclear deterrent remains safe, secure and effective".

This is highly embarrassing for both the UK and the US manufacturer of the Trident missile.

It's embarrassing to the M.O.D. because they'd already paid for them. Summat like £10 Mil each.
Last reports seem to be human error.
Not good for the other subs armed with them - bang goes the 'threat'. Literally.
Techy reckons it's a double bluff. :thought:

It's embarrassing to the M.O.D. because they'd already paid for them. Summat like £10 Mil each.
Last reports seem to be human error.
Not good for the other subs armed with them - bang goes the 'threat'. Literally.

Bang goes the sub as well if a live one lands close to it.

Great Yarmouth's Herring Bridge becomes Swearing Bridge

Great Yarmouth's brand new Herring Bridge became the Swearing Bridge after a control room blunder saw a volley of expletives played out to waiting motorists on loud speaker.

The structure, which was officially opened on Thursday, was closed to traffic on Saturday afternoon, due to an apparent mishap.

17705091.jpg

To compound the problems for staff in the control room trying to fix it, their foul-mouthed converations were inadvertently played out on the public address system to motorists, cyclists and pedestrians waiting to be able to cross.

A recording reveals one worker saying: "I've been dealing with this ***** issue for four hours" before exclaiming "Oh for ****'s sake".

It was recorded at around 3pm by a cyclist who was trying to cross.

The £121m Herring Bridge has been beset by problems, even before it opened.

Its construction was delayed first by the discovery of a Second World War German bomb in the river below and then by the possibility that endangered voles might be living nearby.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/24095699.great-yarmouths-herring-bridge-becomes-swearing-bridge/

maximus otter

Last edited:
I've never seen it. It was on TV at Christmas and I recorded it.
I still haven't watched it.

Read a short explanation of the case on Yahoo!News.
Builder explains that out of all the lamp posts on that street, that one was out of line, further from the kerb. They had to put in a 'temporary fix' in order to keep to construction time targets. It requires the council to take down the light and move it closer to the kerb which would've taken weeks. They did this with the permission of the purchaser, letting them know that when the council get around to it then they'll make good the roof.
I've never needed a facepalm emoji so bad in my life

Not so much a silly mistake as one of the most horrifically, stupendously monumental cock-ups of all time: the space shuttle Columbia's 28th mission.

We've watched the BBC series about it. Depressingly, it's the same schtick as the causes of the Challenger disaster. Reputable experts repeatedly pointed out serious and potentially fatal flaws in the operation but were fobbed off or ignored on the basis of the macho NASA culture, especially the chain of command protocol.

Nobody could directly approach a senior manager with even a grave safety concern. They had to take their qualms to their own manager and hope the message was passed up the chain. It wasn't, or it was brushed aside.

Among the bereaved children, a seven year-old boy, Iain Clark, lost his mother Laurel in the crash.
We see him talking with her via the space link phone and hear him tell her how much he missed her. Other relations of the astronauts describe how they felt about their loved ones' space adventure. It's so sad.

Worst of all, when it became clear that the Shuttle was lost the astronauts' families were hustled off and led into a conference room where they were all told together that their loved ones were dead. Parents had no chance to prepare their children for this or to give them the news in the way they'd wish.

This was done in a spirit of openness and honesty which seemed more than a little ironic after the previous shenanigans.

Have to say, years ago I gave up a well-paid but demanding job and took something worse because my children needed me. Cost me a lot in many ways but I didn't regret it.
Young Iain Clark and the other bereaved children could have had their own parents to grow up with if the crew members with kids had put their families first and backed out. But nobody was doing that.
I was living in Tampa at the time, you could see it all the way across the gulf. Horrible.

Techy reckons it's a double bluff. :thought:
That was my first instinct as well. What would the west gain from advertising to potential enemies that our weapons aren't working? .. hopefully we're leading them into a false sense of security because we're lying.

"HEY! yO! .. anyone with access to the internet .. we're unarmed!!! lol"

That was my first instinct as well. What would the west gain from advertising to potential enemies that our weapons aren't working? .. hopefully we're leading them into a false sense of security because we're lying.

"HEY! yO! .. anyone with access to the internet .. we're unarmed!!! lol"

I can't see the logic behind pretending that your nuclear weapons don't work. After all, Mutually Assured Destruction works as a deterrent only as long as it's mutually assured. Create a bluff that your nukes don't work. The other side sees this and thinks "hah, here's our chance." They then lob their nukes at you and you of course respond by lobbing your working nukes at them...

Remind me again why that's a desirable outcome?

I can't see the logic behind pretending that your nuclear weapons don't work. After all, Mutually Assured Destruction works as a deterrent only as long as it's mutually assured. Create a bluff that your nukes don't work. The other side sees this and thinks "hah, here's our chance." They then lob their nukes at you and you of course respond by lobbing your working nukes at them...

Remind me again why that's a desirable outcome?
They think we're lying .. but what if we aren't?. What if we are?. keeps them on their toes and makes them spend time and money trying to find out. Of course our tridents are working ffs.

Back