• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

Dripping from any roast is a popular 'spread'. Here in Yorkshire/The North(?) it's called 'mucky bread'.
Me? It's ... meh. It's just fat on bread.
'In my day', it was a treat if you weren't well-off. Can't think why, since you needed to have a roast dinner to gather your own. It cost more to buy a tub in a butchers.
Even the poorest people would hope to have a Sunday roast. Eating the dripping might be a way of using every scrap of nutrition they could wring from the meal, though most of it would have gone into the gravy.

Also, there'd be a pecking order to decide who had the best leftovers or by-products. My family and those I knew would keep the water from cooking vegetables to drink. If we were lucky it was at least warm. Some fathers would be drinking this and the kids wouldn't get near it.

I still drink my carrot /tatty water if it looks tasty enough although steaming the vegetables reduces the flavour.

Years ago l saw a telly series (Map Man with Nicholas Crane?) about the mapping of the UK by the Ordnance Survey. They started in the south of England, establishing trig points, taking multiple bearings and using actual metal chains to measure distances.

Their final measurement was taken somewhere in the north of Scotland, months or years later.

They were eighteen inches out…

:omg:

maximus otter
Damned shoddy workmanship, I say. Can't they get anything right?

Here's another shambolic/fraudulent day out. Yours for £35 a head.

Curiously, the event's script and advertising are artificially generated.

'Angry families turned up to find me dressed as Willy Wonka'

An actor who played Willy Wonka at a cancelled event in Glasgow says he understands why families were angry about the experience.

Paul Connell said he was given the role just days earlier and handed a "gibberish" script and told to "do whatever you want".

Police were called to the event on Saturday, which was cancelled when visitors demanded refunds of tickets that cost up to £35.

Organisers House of Illuminati advertised a "journey filled with wondrous creations" in what turned out to be a sparsely-decorated warehouse.

Mr Connell told BBC Radio's Good Morning Scotland programme: "It was very disappointing to see how many people turned up at this event and found basically me dressed up as Willy Wonka in a half-abandoned warehouse.

"It was not what I was expecting.

"I was offered the part on the Thursday, given 15 pages of AI generated gibberish to learn and then obviously turned up and saw what it was."

Attachments

• IMG-20240228-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20240228-WA0010.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG-20240228-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20240228-WA0009.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 13
Are those words ('catgacating' etc.) in the new Wonka film? Or did the A.I. conjure them up?

Here's another shambolic/fraudulent day out. Yours for £35 a head.

Curiously, the event's script and advertising are artificially generated.

'Angry families turned up to find me dressed as Willy Wonka'

Another chancer who thought he could make a quick buck by hiring a scout hall (see also: Winter Wonderland).

But it gets crazier:

The event was headed by 'immersive events' company 'House of Illuminati' founded by Billy Coull, the sole director. He is the author of books no longer available on Amazon like 'Operation Inoculation: Unveiling the A Conspiratorial Journey into Vaccination Truths Deep State Conspiracy', 'Shadows of Deception: Unveiling the Deep State Conspiracy', and 'Shadows of Power: Unveiling the Secrets of a Global Conspiracy'.

All the aforementioned novels, 3 out of 17 released between July and August last year, feature AI artwork as their front cover, and given the fact they were all released in July of 2023, faced scrutiny from readers who suspected the provenance of the material offered for sale.

https://www.glasgowworld.com/news/disastrous-glasgow-wonka-event-explained-scams-deepstate-conspiracies-misleading-ai-generations-and-failed-crowdfunders-gowanbank-hub-billy-coull-house-of-illuminati-4534394

Anyway, this oompa loompa doesn't look too happy:
elrellano.com-el-evento-willy-wonka-experience-termino-siendo-muy-diferente-a-lo-anunciado-025597.jpg

Drivers mocked after cars parked on Blackpool beach destroyed by the sea

Pictures showed the mangled remains of a convertible Peugeot 206 and a Vauxhall Corsa, which were completely destroyed.

The cars were driven onto the beach at South Shore, and then got marooned as the tide quickly rolled in.
The vehicles were tossed around by strong breakers, which flipped one car on its roof and partially washed the other out to sea.

Council workers rescued the vehicles on February 29. Both suffered missing wheels, smashed windscreens and heavy bodywork damage.

‘We have been in contact with the registered keepers and will seek to recover our costs.
1709503985539.png

PastedGraphic-2.png

PastedGraphic-3.png

Looked like a stunt to me but yup, it was genuine.
Brings to mind the 'dog tied to level crossing bar' stories.

This is quite old but new to me so I dunno if we've already 'ad it.
You'd be waking up at 3am for years after, drenched in sweat and gripping your Teddy.

A tourist in Switzerland went on a hang glider for the first time and was forced to hold on for dear life after realizing he wasn’t strapped in. Just a second after takeoff from a 4,000-foot mountain top,

Chris Gursky realized he was not attached and spent more than two minutes clinging to the bar as he sailed over trees.

The pilot, who was properly strapped in, apparently forgot to hook him up. The tourist from Florida hung on as the pilot did his best to find a place for an emergency landing.

This is quite old but new to me so I dunno if we've already 'ad it.
You'd be waking up at 3am for years after, drenched in sweat and gripping your Teddy.

Can you imagine, being at your very limit of strength and still having to dig deeper.

And he looks better for the weight loss :)

Can you imagine, being at your very limit of strength and still having to dig deeper.

And he looks better for the weight loss :)
This is what I reckon: the pilot dresses to the right. Mr Gursky was heavy enough at the time to remind him of the nonattachment problem by putting pressure on the red straps.

I laughed right from the very start.
I didn't laugh at all because at first it looked like a stunt. When I realised it wasn't, I thought of how dangerous it was.

The woman is active and healthy at 72, good for her, but with a broken hip she'd suddenly become disabled and old.

In previous jobs I looked after people who'd lost their mobility through accidents. The older they were, the poorer their prospects. A broken hip could be catastrophic.

At nearly 66 and still living a full life, I'm conscious that one nasty fall off my bike could see me off; hence the weapons-level helmet/hi-viz get-up. :nods:

I didn't laugh at all because at first it looked like a stunt. When I realised it wasn't, I thought of how dangerous it was.

The woman is active and healthy at 72, good for her, but with a broken hip she'd suddenly become disabled and old.

In previous jobs I looked after people who'd lost their mobility through accidents. The older they were, the poorer their prospects. A broken hip could be catastrophic.

At nearly 66 and still living a full life, I'm conscious that one nasty fall off my bike could see me off; hence the weapons-level helmet/hi-viz get-up. :nods:
But in all seriousness, how on earth did the shop-keeper keep a straight face?
I'd have been on the floor in tears.

But in all seriousness, how on earth did the shop-keeper keep a straight face?
I'd have been on the floor in tears.
That would be the thought of the legal and financial implications if it had gone badly. Also, he knows her and would be concerned for her safety.

One might of course enjoy watching this sort of accident happen to someone we dislike. Or better, our best mate. :bthumbup:

Someone was telling me recently about a railway work incident where he'd misjudged a wagon braking procedure and ended up dangling by his armpits from a metal bar. The foreman who came to help him was laughing too hard to be of much use. :chuckle:

That would be the thought of the legal and financial implications if it had gone badly. Also, he knows her and would be concerned for her safety.

One might of course enjoy watching this sort of accident happen to someone we dislike. Or better, our best mate. :bthumbup:

Someone was telling me recently about a railway work incident where he'd misjudged a wagon braking procedure and ended up dangling by his armpits from a metal bar. The foreman who came to help him was laughing too hard to be of much use. :chuckle:
I like the way she wasn't going to let go of her trolley.

There's some slapstick you laugh at ... but on analysis is dangerous.
Slipping on a banana skin can be lethal.

It doesn't stop people laughing. Nor should it. It's like explaining a joke - don't.
Yeah ... the real life situation for the 'victim' is potentially nasty but lighten up! Instinctively we laugh because we are not the injured party. Laughing at it doesn't make the viewers wish ill on the victim.
Let me be clear: I've seen videos of people doing damaging, stupid things. People doing stuff which is blindingly obviously utterly stupid. Even intentional!
I can easily laugh at some 'mishaps' and I can more easily be disgusted by the situation.
But I cannot and don't want the ability to cast judgement on all these idiots. That is for a 'higher court'.

Don't judge people who point fingers and laugh. The assumption as JUDGE is accepting a great responsibility.

There's some slapstick you laugh at ... but on analysis is dangerous.
Slipping on a banana skin can be lethal.

It doesn't stop people laughing. Nor should it. It's like explaining a joke - don't.
Yeah ... the real life situation for the 'victim' is potentially nasty but lighten up! Instinctively we laugh because we are not the injured party. Laughing at it doesn't make the viewers wish ill on the victim.
Let me be clear: I've seen videos of people doing damaging, stupid things. People doing stuff which is blindingly obviously utterly stupid. Even intentional!
I can easily laugh at some 'mishaps' and I can more easily be disgusted by the situation.
But I cannot and don't want the ability to cast judgement on all these idiots. That is for a 'higher court'.

Don't judge people who point fingers and laugh. The assumption as JUDGE is accepting a great responsibility.
Who's judging?

I've just come across this incident on a You Tube channel that I follow (Skallagrim) and I looked it up.

A teacher in New Mexico decides it's a good idea to bring real, sharp, swords into class and get the students to duel with them. One student badly (permanently) injured. Teacher delays calling 911 and tries to get the other students to delete the footage from their phones.

Story here

I did a search and couldn't find this posted previously, although it was a couple of years ago when it happened.

The horror!

1710009333687.png

After being drafted in at the last minute to replace another musician, Maria João Pires didn’t realise she had prepared the wrong Mozart piano concerto until the orchestra started playing, to a live audience.

It’s an extraordinary moment of pained realisation and miraculous recovery, that has gone viral several times over the last 10 years. Classic FM’s Joanna Gosling shared the video on Twitter and reinstated its place in the Internet hall of fame all over again.

A few days later, Joanna sat down with Maria to speak about the famous incident, and the thoughts that were racing through her mind during those crucial moments at the piano, 25 years ago...

Back