• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Correct Myth.
Only thing then that I can think of, is the pin in the valve is (somehow) to blame.

If you unscrew the thermostatic top (the part with the numbers on) you'll see a thick pin on the valve itself that moves up and down depending on what setting you put it on.

Attachments

• dra.jpg
    dra.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 5
Only thing then that I can think of, is the pin in the valve is (somehow) to blame.

If you unscrew the thermostatic top (the part with the numbers on) you'll see a thick pin on the valve itself that moves up and down depending on what setting you put it on.
Cheers for that Mr F. I'll let the engineer work that one out. I'm not good with plumbing or Electrical stuff. Even though the old man was a Electrical engineer, it didn't rub off on me I'm afraid :)

My plumber demonstrated that to me. He said that they get stuck eventually as scale builds up. So, you've got to unscrew the top and use something hard to push the pin in until the scale breaks, allowing the spring to return the pin back to position.

My plumber demonstrated that to me. He said that they get stuck eventually as scale builds up. So, you've got to unscrew the top and use something hard to push the pin in until the scale breaks, allowing the spring to return the pin back to position.
That's it.
A spray of WD40 and a gentle tap with a light hammer usually sorts it out.

No, the last advert break was a while before.

Now, I refuse to believe that time stood still for me to read an article about Denisovans. But what an odd psychological quirk, to fold time together like that. Makes me wish I, er, had a time machine to go back and watch it happen.
Was it definitely still the contestants that were answering when you started the article? If it was the Chaser instead, maybe they got a question wrong which means the clock would have stopped while the question was put to the team?

Three remaining contestants were starting their final round. I heard the first few answers (muttering under my breath a couple of answers I guessed) and then had my attention fully absorbed by an article I found on Facebook. I clicked the link, waited for it to open, read the entirety of the article, closed the link... and then turned my attention briefly back to the TV.

To find that only five seconds had passed.

Note: in 'The Chase' there is an on-screen clock counting down during the rounds.

So what happened? No pause button was pressed, no rounds were skipped. How very weird. Is there a name for this kind of "slowing down of relative time"?
I have never seen it so it's hard to say without knowing how the rounds work but maybe you looped to five seconds later in another round? Or the show was edited? Like on a drama when a bomb is set on a timer to go off in ten seconds but those ten seconds take about two minutes of screen time. Obviously drama is different to a game show.

We had a matter of low strangeness yesterday so gonna record it here whilst it's fresh.

She Came About the Geckos. (Apparently. That should be its title).

Little backstory. My Ring doorbell has been out of action for a few weeks because I changed my bank card and forgot to update it to the new one, on the app. So we had several weeks where the doorbell wasn't recording (pay a small sub every month for it to record what happens out there). I have been busy, preoccupied with life stuff, can't be arsed to faff on my phone. But finally, yesterday, it got to me and before we went out for the day, got round to updating my payment details. Recordings restored.

And thank the gods I did. Because whilst we were out, it recorded the most weird interchange ever at our doorstep.

Son 5 and girlfriend home for a few days from uni and we often take them on little daytrips which they love. Yesterday was day trip day - we went up to the White Horse in the fog (and snow, up there) for them to walk about a bit, get out of the city where they live, and just have some fun just the 4 of us. So we left Son 4 at home as he "works" from home. Amazingly, he must have got out of bed at some point because on the Ring doorbell, we saw he'd answered the door, although he sounded half asleep and didn't know wtf had hit him.

We had a pit stop and I saw a Ring notification on phone so idly checked it out and played back the recording as I was expecting a delivery and assumed Son 4 would still be in bed, leave door unanswered, and my parcel would be left outside in the rain. But no, he was up.

This woman in a sort of delivery company uniform rings doorbell. After some time, groggy sounding son answers it. Here's what happened.

"Hi, Ridgeway? Ridgeway? I've come to collect the geckos."

Stunned silence from son. He doesn't know what Ridgeway is. Our house has no name. We don't know a house with that name, locally. Or geckos. We have no geckos.

"I don't think that's this house."

Woman, carrying on regardless: "Yeah, geckos. I've come to collect the geckos."

Son after long pause, he sounds like he just woke up: "We don't have any geckos."

"Oh alright, OK, I''ve got number... [Reads out our address. It is indeed, the correct address].

Son: "Some geckos? As in the animals?"

"Yes, viper geckos. [Son 3's first name] I've got [Son 3's first name]?"

"Oh. He does live here but he doesn't own any geckos."

"OK. It's to collect some. Shall I give him a ring? Little viper geckos. Alright I'll give him a ring..."

Walks off back to van at end of drive. She didn't return.

All we can think of is that there's another house with same street address somewhere else and one of the people living in it is a gecko fan with the same first name as my other son...

We had a matter of low strangeness yesterday so gonna record it here whilst it's fresh.

She Came About the Geckos. (Apparently. That should be its title).

Little backstory. My Ring doorbell has been out of action for a few weeks because I changed my bank card and forgot to update it to the new one, on the app. So we had several weeks where the doorbell wasn't recording (pay a small sub every month for it to record what happens out there). I have been busy, preoccupied with life stuff, can't be arsed to faff on my phone. But finally, yesterday, it got to me and before we went out for the day, got round to updating my payment details. Recordings restored.

And thank the gods I did. Because whilst we were out, it recorded the most weird interchange ever at our doorstep.

Son 5 and girlfriend home for a few days from uni and we often take them on little daytrips which they love. Yesterday was day trip day - we went up to the White Horse in the fog (and snow, up there) for them to walk about a bit, get out of the city where they live, and just have some fun just the 4 of us. So we left Son 4 at home as he "works" from home. Amazingly, he must have got out of bed at some point because on the Ring doorbell, we saw he'd answered the door, although he sounded half asleep and didn't know wtf had hit him.

We had a pit stop and I saw a Ring notification on phone so idly checked it out and played back the recording as I was expecting a delivery and assumed Son 4 would still be in bed, leave door unanswered, and my parcel would be left outside in the rain. But no, he was up.

This woman in a sort of delivery company uniform rings doorbell. After some time, groggy sounding son answers it. Here's what happened.

"Hi, Ridgeway? Ridgeway? I've come to collect the geckos."

Stunned silence from son. He doesn't know what Ridgeway is. Our house has no name. We don't know a house with that name, locally. Or geckos. We have no geckos.

"I don't think that's this house."

Woman, carrying on regardless: "Yeah, geckos. I've come to collect the geckos."

Son after long pause, he sounds like he just woke up: "We don't have any geckos."

"Oh alright, OK, I''ve got number... [Reads out our address. It is indeed, the correct address].

Son: "Some geckos? As in the animals?"

"Yes, viper geckos. [Son 3's first name] I've got [Son 3's first name]?"

"Oh. He does live here but he doesn't own any geckos."

"OK. It's to collect some. Shall I give him a ring? Little viper geckos. Alright I'll give him a ring..."

Walks off back to van at end of drive. She didn't return.

All we can think of is that there's another house with same street address somewhere else and one of the people living in it is a gecko fan with the same first name as my other son...
I think you win this thread, because that's the strangest thing I've ever heard.

I think I can feel your son's uncanny feeling from here!

I think you win this thread, because that's the strangest thing I've ever heard.

I think I can feel your son's uncanny feeling from here!
I forgot to say but our street address is unusual but not unique. Just checked on Royal Mail website and there are 2 others of this name in this (large) county. (Annoyingly she didn't read out postcode). But this particular street only has 4 houses on it and we know all our neighbours so it's not a house number mess up. Son 3 is only one here with that first name and nobody else owns geckos.

Our other thought is son 3 is being weirdly doxxed.

Was it definitely still the contestants that were answering when you started the article? If it was the Chaser instead, maybe they got a question wrong which means the clock would have stopped while the question was put to the team?
Yeah, it was. That's why I did a huge comedy double-take and may have allowed a squeak to slip out.

Very strange, and I watched the show again yesterday evening *just to see if anything similar would happen again*, but alas no.

You know that feeling that people report, when something *very strange* has happened and they can't quite get their head around it? The one that lingers, for some after? That's what I've had since. It feels like I'm slightly distanced from real life. Very odd.

Tonight I had another weird music related coincidence and I thought I had better get it down before I forget the details. This morning I was cooking breakfast for me and Mrs E and my mind started wandering (as it does). For some reason I was rhinking about the band The Sweet. I was thinking that they were actually a decent rock band ( I owned an album of theirs called Desolation Boulavade which was pretty good) but made their money out of shite. For some reason I started singing the lyrics to Wig Wam Bam! (sorry if this upsets the music lovers amongst you!).
This evening I had tickets for a Jam cover band and the support was a guy called Luke Gallagher (no relation) who was billed as a mod/60s artist. I couldn't believe it when, midway through his act he started playing Wig Wam Bam! I havent heard this song for years so for it to crop up twice in one day was amazing!

Tonight I had another weird music related coincidence and I thought I had better get it down before I forget the details. This morning I was cooking breakfast for me and Mrs E and my mind started wandering (as it does). For some reason I was rhinking about the band The Sweet. I was thinking that they were actually a decent rock band ( I owned an album of theirs called Desolation Boulavade which was pretty good) but made their money out of shite. For some reason I started singing the lyrics to Wig Wam Bam! (sorry if this upsets the music lovers amongst you!).
This evening I had tickets for a Jam cover band and the support was a guy called Luke Gallagher (no relation) who was billed as a mod/60s artist. I couldn't believe it when, midway through his act he started playing Wig Wam Bam! I havent heard this song for years so for it to crop up twice in one day was amazing!
I often thought the words to that song were code for something sexual. Exactly what, I'm not sure.

Come and work for the Co Op. We get random songs like this played, and it will come out of nowhere, be played every day for about two weeks, and then never again.
Yeah I know! We have a Co Op store about 100 yards from our door and I am constatntly surprised at some of the stuff I hear when I pop in!

Cheers for that Mr F. I'll let the engineer work that one out. I'm not good with plumbing or Electrical stuff. Even though the old man was a Electrical engineer, it didn't rub off on me I'm afraid :)
I reckon it could be the head of the valve getting weak and the pin in the valve possibly pushing the head open. If you imagine, when you turn the valve down to 0 the head is keeping the pin pushed down. Overnight when the temp. drops, if the spring in the head is weak or faulty the pin in the valve is possibly pushing against the head and forcing it to open.

Back