• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Personal Names

l fail to see what’s wrong with a unique collar number:

Entitled member of the public: “What is your number?”

PC Otter: “It’s the shiny silver things on my shoulder.”

Entitled MOP (getting angrier): “Can l borrow your pen?”

PC Otter: “No.”

maximus otter
Quality :chuckle: .

My mother called my oldest sister Thane. No middle name (as with the rest of us), just Thane. Bear in mind, this was in the late '40s.
She really couldn't recall where she got it from or what it meant - she had to look it up in a dictionary.
There is (was?) a cookery writer and journalist called Thane Prince.

So my first name, which I do not go by, my mom says she got from a gravestone.
My wife's name came from a living person, which was approved by one side and considered a great risk by the other. One side often named after the living, the other side believed one never should lest that bring about the death of the honored person.

I haven't found any well-known Thanes so it remains a mystery.
Yup. As I say, even Mum couldn't explain it.
Was she a Shakespear fan?.....Better than calling him Cawdor, I s's'pose.
Wasn't there a Thane of Fife? Your sister's not from Scotland
Bearing in mind that when there is more than one 'thane'/thain gathered together, the one that's most-senior must (of course) be the Chief-thain (or as we now tend to agree "chief_tain"...originating from when we pronounce that pairing with a lent Irish / Gaelic alveolar fricative rather than the more-formal interdental consonant)

There was a Doctor Knigge at the surgery I used to be registered with before I moved here. She was German so it was pronounced the German way.

There was a Doctor Knigge at the surgery I used to be registered with before I moved here. She was German so it was pronounced the German way.
I don't know German, so am not familiar with German pronunciation.

Just came across this article, baby name finds from 1877. All the names on the list are First and Middle names, unless denoted with sn (surname) A few highlights:
Barwood Platt (sn: Woodnutt)
Biggleswade
Boadicea
Crisp Ingomar (sn: Figgins)
Effierenda
Effeldipha Ann
Favoretta Hermione Agnes
Habakkuk
Lambatous Richards
Mehetabel Eliza
Peter The Great & William The Conqueror (twins)
Spendlove Odessa
https://www.britishbabynames.com/blog/2019/02/finds-from-1877.html

Just came across this article, baby name finds from 1877. All the names on the list are First and Middle names, unless denoted with sn (surname) A few highlights:
Barwood Platt (sn: Woodnutt)
Biggleswade
Boadicea
Crisp Ingomar (sn: Figgins)
Effierenda
Effeldipha Ann
Favoretta Hermione Agnes
Habakkuk
Lambatous Richards
Mehetabel Eliza
Peter The Great & William The Conqueror (twins)
Spendlove Odessa
https://www.britishbabynames.com/blog/2019/02/finds-from-1877.html
Kids often used to have their mother's maiden name as either first or middle name. Happened in my family, well, my dad's. This might account for some of the Barwood and Biggleswade type names.

And I LOVE Lambatous Richards. What a name.

Kids often used to have their mother's maiden name as either first or middle name. Happened in my family, well, my dad's. This might account for some of the Barwood and Biggleswade type names.

I have my GrandMothers maiden name as one of my middle names - Scots in origin.

Yes, my best friend Kate got stuck with 'Miles' as her middle name thanks to that convention :rolleyes:

The scandal! Briitain is metric! (sorta)

giphy.gif

maximus otter

Back