• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Anyone recall Gorgo Bars? I think I only sae them a few times and never got to taste their green and black, nutrition free delights.
Was I the only one who was disappointed when I bought some Green & Black's chocolate (in Waitrose, dontchaknow) only to find the chocolate wasn't actually green and black? I mean, does the trade description act mean nothing anymore?

The Polish shop in town does it. As well as the best selection of fruit/herb teas I've ever seen. Good prices too. Sat here now with a big teapot full of forest fruit tea.

They do the fruit teas as an instant powder too, with added vitC. I tried the raspberry once. Very sweet and artificial. I'll stick to me dried real fruits n herbs .
Morrisons sell this as well, called Lift wasnt it?
I love sugared almonds, found them in one of those shops that have all the big jars on the shelves just like the old fashioned shops did, in town, bet the tuffy factory does them, they are like 20 min walk, if you run, away
Ive had the jaimacan rum and raisin bar of chocolate, the cheap shops and morrisons sell it, not as good, me thinks the rum has been reduced it tastes more like cheap flavouring now
I love Dime bars, but you can still get those, I adored Pink Panther chocolate, where do i get some again? lol. And the Topic bar, oh my, i need one of those i still recall the flaour so delicious. Remember the rainbow thingies, looked like rice krispies but rainbow coloured, had some a while back as i found them, OMG, i spat them out they were appalling, DO NOT BUY THEM. Like wagon wheels but more like wheels from a tonka toy now.

Anyone recall Gorgo Bars? I think I only sae them a few times and never got to taste their green and black, nutrition free delights.

iu
I have never wanted something so much in my life....
You are the me of 35 years ago.
I'm 45,......:botp:

Was I the only one who was disappointed when I bought some Green & Black's chocolate (in Waitrose, dontchaknow) only to find the chocolate wasn't actually green and black? I mean, does the trade description act mean nothing anymore?
Green and Blacks, owned by Cadbury's who are owned by ??? who are owned by Kraft.

I loved how pink they tasted, they had a really intense flavour.
I remember a lovely strawberry taste, just so different, like the strawberry mice and white mice, loved those
I checked on Amazon for Topics, they appear to have sold out, but the reviews said they did not have a hazelnut in every bite lol

I remember a lovely strawberry taste, just so different, like the strawberry mice and white mice, loved those
I checked on Amazon for Topics, they appear to have sold out, but the reviews said they did not have a hazelnut in every bite lol
With the size of my bite, I used get about six hazelnuts in every bite.

As mentioned elsewhere, I'm in Singapore at the moment and was shopping in a supermarket for a few supplies last night when I came across this sauce/condiment which appears too be nothing more than hundreds (possibly thousands) of baby shrimp/prawns.
I'm sure used correctly it'd taste great (as shrimp paste does) but it's visual appeal is a bit so so.

20230726_162115_compress59.jpg

As mentioned elsewhere, I'm in Singapore at the moment and was shopping in a supermarket for a few supplies last night when I came across this sauce/condiment which appears too be nothing more than hundreds (possibly thousands) of baby shrimp/prawns.
I'm sure used correctly it'd taste great (as shrimp paste does) but it's visual appeal is a bit so so.

View attachment 68154
Please tell me you bought this? And are currently drinking it straight from the bottle?

Please tell me you bought this? And are currently drinking it straight from the bottle?
I sent the same pic to my youngest youngest done as we often challenge each other to eat weird food that we find.
He said he was game if I was game, so I may just buy some. Having looked it up, it's fermented shrimp. Sounds delicious.

When I was about 20 the very witty audience version of Bill Oddie's call-and-response jingle went:
What's got a hazelnut in every bite?
Squirrelshit!
:rofl:

Oh my poor sides.

I loved how pink they tasted, they had a really intense flavour.

Still available.
As well as being able to get pink (strawberry) and white chocolate mice in Bookers, as well as online, you can also get them from pet food manufacturers.
They've always been safe for humans and the chocolate they made them with was dog-safe too.
I can freely and genuinely report that the pink ones do taste like the ol' Pink Panther chocolate bar.
I've still got a large box for my pooches, left over from our shop when we closed for business.

View attachment 68154
Is that Chinchalok, last of the crustaceans?

OK I've got my coat on.

Nam Plat (fish sauce) is a pretty good simulation of the ancient Roman garum or fish-pickle sauce.
I occasionally get a craving for oyster sauce for some reason (although it's probably nothing like the real stuff from China/Thailand/Malaysia et al).

In Scarborough (near me) is a small but well-stocked asian supermarket. I'll take a look and see if they've got a jar too!
Does garum/nam plat go with any non Asian cuisine?

I do for example, (and I know I could be shot for this) like a drop of oyster sauce with cheese on occasion.

Does garum/nam plat go with any non Asian cuisine?

I make a delicious pea soup with it. One tin of mushy peas, two tins of water, fish sauce to taste, as they say. Trick is to let it boil for a while so that the stock clouds and thickens. A touch of rose water can mitigate any pong from the fish sauce - go easy, unless you want a soup of Turkish Delight! Result is a wonderful, warming dish, for pennies. It is not fishy! :curt:

I make a delicious pea soup with it. One tin of mushy peas, two tins of water, fish sauce to taste, as they say. Trick is to let it boil for a while so that the stock clouds and thickens. A touch of rose water can mitigate any pong from the fish sauce - go easy, unless you want a soup of Turkish Delight! Result is a wonderful, warming dish, for pennies. It is not fishy! :curt:
The Romans used garum as a common dipping or table sauce.
Hard boiled eggs and raw carrots are nice, dipped in it.
Right, I shall try those suggestions.

(I'd forgotten about this one that the Italians use with pasta, made from anchovies from the Amalfi coast).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colatura_di_alici

Canned rabbit, once a dinnertime delicacy, now consigned to the burrows of history

Exploded cans of rotting rabbit meat blanketing a scarred jetty is where the tale of the canned cottontail cuisine culminated for the port of Kingston in South Australia.

But despite the local industry's grisly end, tinned rabbit was once in demand on the dinner plates of London's diners.

The stench of the 1906 explosion in Kingston made the local newspaper and helped bring rabbit canning in the town to a standstill.

But in its four years of operation, Kingston's cannery produced some 800,000 tins of rabbit meat for the export market.

93ffb106a9e259766463d7fd72f7edf7

It was one of a collection of canneries operating in south-eastern Australia during the peak of the rabbit industry at the turn of the century.

Others opened at Euroa-Longwood, Port Fairy, Portland, and Colac in Victoria, at Port Augusta, Kapunda, and Eudunda in South Australia's mid north, and in the south east at Millicent and Robe — which also canned snipe and swan for export.

"The Longwood cannery was founded in 1891 where it produced rabbit for the dinner table by canning one-and-a-half jointed rabbits in a tin with brine, which was then boiled for canning and sealed with lead solder.”

Between 1870 and 1970, more than 20 billion rabbits were trapped or poisoned in South Australia and Victoria for commercial purposes.

And by the late 1920s, the rabbit industry was reported to be the largest employer in Australia.

The canned rabbit industry was sustained by military orders from Japan, the British Admiralty, and the British and Australian governments during World War I, but had largely disappeared by the 1920s.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-04/canned-rabbit-history-in-south-eastern-australia/103532810

maximus otter

Back