• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Unsuitable Advertisements In The Magazine (Fortean Times)

Are some of the adverts in FT unsuitable, and are you offended by them ?

• Yes, I find a lot of the adverts offensive/in bad taste.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Most are OK, but 'Faces of Death' takes the biscuit.

• They are all OK.

• I don't care about the content of the Ads.

• The ads are mainly crud but 'F.O.D.' is also vilely offensive, possibly to the point of illegality

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sorry, just noticed your location. :D

Rolf Harris is a tv personality over here in the UK. Big, soft and cuddly and very, very nice. Everybody loves Rolf including old cynics like me. He presents programmes about 3-legged cats, dogs with coughs. lame budgies etc. Has also done some Led Zepplein covers. Very, very cool man. (and he's an accomplished artist *sigh* is there no end to his talents?)

Stylophone-object of desire for young children in the 1970's. A little electronic keyboard which came with a stylus. It had precisely three notes activated by touching the keys with said stylus. You could play any song you wanted provided it had three notes........if it were not for the stylophone synth-pop would never have happened ;)

I will keep the eyes peeled at the usual outlet (car boot sale) for a Stylophone!

Thanx, Blueswidow! I've never heard of him. He kinda reminded me of a character from a Mystery Science Theater 3000 movie, but I wasn't for sure. Now I can sleep well again! :D

:cool:

Stylophones are constantly on ebay:

Link

My next door neighbour had one. It was cool.

[Emp edit: Fixing big link.]

Lest us not forget, either, the fantastic Sylophone solo in 'Space Oddity' by Bowie.

Ah, Stylophones. :cool:

The most horrible-est T shirt IMO is the Michael Jackson one, it seems so intolerant and nasty. I quite like "Jesus loves you, everyone else thinks you're a c*nt" and was thinking of getting it for the office ;)

taras said:
Stylophones are constantly on ebay:

Why did you have to tell me this........I suppose i could buy one for my kids ( and then not let them near it ) and you can get song books for it, WOW!!!!

The Glenn Miller one looks particularly intriguing......no, must pay bills this month.........

EDIT- on closer inspection that's not a song book, that's an album of Glenn Miller songs played on the stylophone........WOW!!!!!!!!!

Is there anywhere that has the plans for a stylophone?

I remember that it was a DIY thing. My brother built one. Surely, if you get the blueprints, it would be easy to put one together with over the counter parts?

(The only tricky bit, as I recall, was etching the keyboard onto a piece of copper.)

AndroMan said:
That's the bottom line, alright.

So, who's been buying the stuff in the dodgy adverts and what was it? ;)

I got a wicker man T shirt from the shop that also has the dodgy slogans ones

Gosh just had a bizzare surfing experience then, I was looking at a Wisconsin Death Trip site (great book by the way), and then had a look here and the thread was started by BlackRiverFalls which is where it's set. Not only that the avatar is the black headed cyberman lead bad cyber bloke from the episode I just watched on UKGold. The real reason for posting though is this vitual Stylaphone - oh yes.

Has anyone noticed the t-shirt with WTC? It looks as though it says at the bottom "What was that date again?" Hmm....
Also, another tasteless shirt is the one saying "I'm the strange man your parents warned you about" Imagine the outrage if it had a picture of Ian Huntley (Soham suspect) on it. And yet, a t-shirt with Charles Manson is deemed unoffensive these days.

JamesM said:
I loathe those T-shirts. Clearly the ad department assume that the readers of FT are humour-impaired tossers, who use words like "wacky", "zany" and "I'm a bit mad, me!!!" to describe themselves. Charles Manson, eh? What a geezer! Ed Gein - farking hilarious, haw haw haw!

Agreed. I'm not your typical Outraged of Hitchin but I was contemplating complaining to the FT about the T-shirt ads.

A friend of mine passed away recently and while flicking through the FT for some light relief, I prudently avoided the "strange deaths" section only to be faced with phrases like "Is life getting you down? Go on - kill yourself".

That stuff should come with a disclaimer at least.

cat simon said:
Has anyone noticed the t-shirt with WTC? It looks as though it says at the bottom "What was that date again?"
I would like to see any moron that buys that shirt wearing it in Manhattan.

I like the one about throwing peanuts at old ladies, if only because I do. Not still in the bags, of course; that would be strange.

Inverurie Jones said:
I like the one about throwing peanuts at old ladies, if only because I do. Not still in the bags, of course; that would be strange.

That would be chucking nuts, mate!

beakboo said:
I quite like "Jesus loves you, everyone else thinks you're a c*nt" and was thinking of getting it for the office ;)

I also couldn't resist a smile when I saw that one-sorry! There was also one a while ago that said "Jesus is coming-Hide" which I liked. My personal fave though was one that said " Beer, helping white guys dance since 1847 (or some such date)"

But the "bleeds for 5 days " one was pretty sick. I have also noticed that the swear words which used to be blanked out are now just left on. They do just seem to be getting sicker and there are hardly any amusing ones now. What is that all about?

If this is to reflect demand from FT readers, do I really want to be talking to you guys, even over the internet?:eek!!!!: ;)

Honest Opinion, disagree at will.

I don't find any of the t-shirts offensive, but many of them are very crap and cheesy. I don't actually object to the adverts or t-shirts themselves, however, like the adverts for chat-lines, alchemy cheese-wear, and hydroponics kits, they are out of place in the magazine. All they do is help to detract from some of the serious writing they appear alongside.

If the Fortean Times aspires to the status of Bizarre or perhaps more appropriately The Weekly World News (e.g.http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/), then this is not a problem, but if not, these ads just present ammunition to those who wish to portray the magazine (no longer a 'journal') as a tapestry of nonsense, read and produced by social inadequates, X-files fanatics, and beardy enthusiasts still hanging on from the 70s. Trust me, these stereotypes are held, in England at least.

Fortean Times gets away with wryly presenting serious topics, but that is not the same as producing a comic - it's a fine line.

I'd rather have a badly-stapled pamphlet with great copy if that were the price for dropping most of the advertising.

Gosh just had a bizzare surfing experience then, I was looking at a Wisconsin Death Trip site (great book by the way), and then had a look here and the thread was started by BlackRiverFalls which is where it's set. Not only that the avatar is the black headed cyberman lead bad cyber bloke from the episode I just watched on UKGold

Is BRF a real place in Wisconsin or is it fictional? And what year is the book?

I got the nick from an Irish singer called Cathal Coughlan, though in the song it's an allegory for his mental/emotional state rather than an actual place.

I think we can safely say that most of the T-shirts mentioned in the thread have had at least one person say "I found this one funny, actually". So now we know why they still advertise.

There's a fair few flying around at the UnConventions I've been to, as well.

And let's face it, we all have a Hobbit sword lying around the house and at least one w***ing policeman. They're especially funny. I'm waiting for the "Fellating Fireman" and the "Coprophagous Cave Rescue" to finish my set.

My favourite of the current lot (I notice many of the more offensive ones have gone) is "You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me."

I actually saw it on a bus before I saw the ad later that same day.

Yes they can get away with it actually..

I think anything that is irreverant, funny, thought-provoking or risque is right at home in FT and we should stop being so pompous...those of us that are that is (myself included sometimes). Yup its a bad joke and some people may be offended by it but in a world where S-Club juniors, Al-Quaida and the ADL exist - ANYTHING GOES!!!!!. But what really gets my goat is Rbin Ramsay cracking on like he knows "the answers".

Anyway I am probably about to incur everyones wrath now - oh well.

D Greenberg:p

Unsuitable Advert ?

OK
Many of us like to buy overpriced 80's Sci-Fi boxed sets, fine.
I am sure some of us wear rude T Shirts, fine.
I am sure some of us grow, or smoke Hash, fine.

But do any of us want to watch 'Faces of Death' ?
What are FT doing running enormous adverts for something that is tantamount to Snuff ?, Do they need the money ?

I don't think the promotion of the sort of material which debases the sanctity of human life in such a grossly unsubtle and perverse way should be welcomed within the magasine.

I am somewhat offended that the editors think this a suitable advert for their readers.

I think our thoughts on this matter should be noted.

Well, I won't vote because I loathe all the adverts and would gladly pay twice the cover price to have them all removed

...and i haven't got a copy of this month's.

How about another option- 'The ads are mainly crud but 'F.O.D.' is also vilely offensive, possibly to the point of illegality.'

Faces of Death?
Here's my face, looking for a different magazine next month. :mad:

Well done that joester.
;)

So, just because we're interested in anomalous phenomena etc, we all smoke odd substances and are into fantasy playstation games . . . I too would pay more to be rid of these ads.

Carole

Back