• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Kennedy Curse ('Curse Of The Kennedys')

I'm just glad my last name isn't Kennedy. That being said, I do have a nice little 1960's bust of JFK sitting on my desk that I bought in a market in Boston.

Says they got into the canoe to retrieve a ball.

Mrs McKean and Gideon "popped into a canoe" to chase after a ball that had rolled away, Mr McKean said.

Looks like things went wrong right away -

Two people - unnamed - were seen drifting several miles off shore 30 minutes later, according to a press release from a local fire department.

One assumes they were 'drifting' in the canoe, not floating in the sea without it. Who saw them? Was there a rescue attempt?
'Popping' into a canoe was a bad idea.

Tragic I know, but just goes to show that just because you are a member of a high profile family, it doesn't mean that you have an ounce of common sense, or 2 brain cells which function. I suspect that these factors came into play in several of this family's tragic deaths.

Tragic I know, but just goes to show that just because you are a member of a high profile family, it doesn't mean that you have an ounce of common sense, or 2 brain cells which function. I suspect that these factors came into play in several of this family's tragic deaths.

Yup, stupidity or at least poor judgment causes a lot of accidents and rich/posh people aren't immune from that.

On the subject of the canoe incident, here's my purely conjectural idea of what might have happened, based on bringing up my own kids -

1. Son: *kicks ball too near the sea*

2. Mom: 'Don't do that, it'll go in the sea!

3. Son: *kicks ball into the sea, possibly by accident while trying to tease Mom*

4. Son: Mom, the ball's gone in the sea!

5. Mom: (now irate) I TOLD you not to do that! Right, get the canoe. We are not going home without that ball!

My response to 4 would be 'Well there's your ball gone, wave bye-bye!'
The kid would learn the lesson and both parties could retreat with dignity.

They could watch together as the ball caught the riptide and moved rapidly out of sight from the safety of the beach and say 'What a good job we didn't try to chase the ball! Could have been dangerous! Wonder where it will end up? What's for tea?'

Dunno what really happened of course. But it wouldn't have happened to me.

Yup, stupidity or at least poor judgment causes a lot of accidents and rich/posh people aren't immune from that.

On the subject of the canoe incident, here's my purely conjectural idea of what might have happened, based on bringing up my own kids -

1. Son: *kicks ball too near the sea*

2. Mom: 'Don't do that, it'll go in the sea!

3. Son: *kicks ball into the sea, possibly by accident while trying to tease Mom*

4. Son: Mom, the ball's gone in the sea!

5. Mom: (now irate) I TOLD you not to do that! Right, get the canoe. We are not going home without that ball!

My response to 4 would be 'Well there's your ball gone, wave bye-bye!'
The kid would learn the lesson and both parties could retreat with dignity.

They could watch together as the ball caught the riptide and moved rapidly out of sight from the safety of the beach and say 'What a good job we didn't try to chase the ball! Could have been dangerous! Wonder where it will end up? What's for tea?'

Dunno what really happened of course. But it wouldn't have happened to me.

All agreed. But I can so easily visualise the frustrated mother and the recalcitrant son. It could happen a lot more often if more of us could afford homes with their own sea /river frontage and canoes just sitting there.

I do feel sad for them. My family is virtually extinct but most of us have died from natural events, not the sort of human mistakes and hostility that have dogged the Kennedys. Unless you count my Grandad trying to do the twist at age 75. But that's not a bad way to go IMO.

Her body's been found.

... And now they've found the boy's body.
Divers find body of RFK's great-grandson Gideon McKean

The body of Gideon McKean, Robert F. Kennedy's great-grandson, was discovered after a nearly weeklong search, officials announced Wednesday.

Maryland Natural Resources Police said teams found the 8-year-old at about 1:40 p.m. on Wednesday, approximately 2.3 miles south of his grandmother's home in Shady Side, Md., after the boy and his mother, Maeve Kennedy Townsend McKean, disappeared during a canoeing incident.

His body was discovered 25 feet underwater about 2,000 feet from the location where his mother's body was recovered on Monday. ...
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/202...s-great-grandson-Gideon-McKean/7901586390049/

I'm glad they found both of them. Not a rational thought but it's true.

Yes. You have a point.

Reminds me of an online converstion with one of the more far flung members of a group I frequent.

He is Cree and was telling us about his canoe hunting trips.

So we asked him what equipment he took, what bouyancy aid he would use.

"Nah, us Indians dont have accidents on the water..."

So us Ignorant White folk got up Canadian government statistics of canoe drowning, -turns out theres a lot of minority deaths each year.

But you lot are sensible; I hardly need to say to use PPE in boats....

Back