• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. S

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

Contin, Highlands, Scotland. 13/03/09 I was chatting to a workmate at lunchtime today when he got a call from his wife. She had been driving along the Achilty Loch road just north of Contin when a black cat the size of a labrador crossed the road ahead of her. When she reached the...
  2. S

The Wheel / Wheels: Invention; Early Usage(s)

We seem to have established that the ancient South Americans did not develop/use the wheel other than as a novelty item in childrens toys, which is pretty much as I'd heard it. So why all the ramped pyramids? I don't think these buildings were used as places that herds of beasts were driven...
  3. S

10 top wild places on your doorstep - in the UK

Kondoru . Do you mean the little isle between Applecross and Skye? I've been there and didn't realise it wasn't on the map...or all that wild.
  4. S

Gays Can't Whistle?

I'm pretty sure gay men can whistle, it just depend which way the wind hits them. :wink:
  5. S

ID Cards / Identification Cards

Not forgetting that they want to charge us a hefty sum for the privilege.
  6. S

Misperceptions

Sorry Rynner, but I simply can't concieve of living in an area for 18 months and not knowing my way to the pub, and never having asked anyone where "that" road went, even if it was an odd route. Obviously we live in very different countries.
  7. S

The Lewis Chessmen

They very well may be Viking artifacts. Vikings were settled on Lewis at the time. Many are still there (shock horror).
  8. S

Misperceptions

In English it means exactly what it reads. Can you explain what you find difficult about that sentence? Don't worry I will type my explanation slowly and in CAPITALS if required. You got a bit lost, and seem to have enjoyed it. No worries there. You may find this happening more, and my...
  9. S

Animal Escapes

"Run free wild beast, run freAAAaaargh......"
  10. S

Global Warming & Climate Change: The Phenomenon

Yes it could, and probably will. King Canutes of the World rise up...Get your deckchairs here...roll up, roll up.
  11. S

Misperceptions

Ah, or perhaps the real point of the story was it was a misperception that technology or an inbuilt compass (and a map) could overcome the need to ask a local? Only having a dram and getting involved, it is almost Ne'er after all :wink:
  12. S

How Possible Is Blade Runner?

Too lazy to read a 5 page thread on this subject, but I will never live in a "Bladerunner" city as I thought most folks already do, whilst I'm happy in the wild countryside... ..but do I dream of electric sheep?
  13. S

If glaciers didn't shrink from time to time I wouldn't be living where I do. Would you?
  14. S

The `real` issues

The continued overpolulation of Earth by mankind and a complete lack of will to address the problem? Address this problem and you solve all the others...well most of them.
  15. S

Misperceptions

Google Earth, whatever happened to just looking at a map? Or even better Rynner, since you lived in the area for 18 months...just asking a local "where does that road go to?".
  16. S

Animal Escapes

Any word on how it escaped? From the reports I've seen the zoo was nearly empty, early dark and the victim was beside the cage. My cynical first thought is the victim may have had a hand in the tigers release.
  17. S

The Lewis Chessmen

Oops, always remember to original post to the end before replying. Repatriation to Scandanavia? On what grounds?
  18. S

The Lewis Chessmen

King Alex never actually made any such demand, he simply lent his support to an Gaelic communities group who are trying to fight for the restoration of their culture on many fronts. Stu I suspect that you are a reader of the Northbritainsman newspaper, formerly a decent broadsheet, now just...
  19. S

Repatriation Of Relics & Antiquities: Should They Be Returned?

Museums smack a little of Empire to me. When we stuffed them full of spoils of war and conquer I'm sure we had the best interests of the natives at heart, but times move on. There's no info that we can't gain from t'internet, and if we simply MUST see things, then lets visit the place they...
  20. S

The World's Weirdest/Stupidest Conspiracy Theories?

Ah, perhaps the Old Firm deserve a whole conspiracy thread of their very own! :twisted: I did laugh at one posters signature on a comments board - "Celtic, never fairly beaten since 1888"
  21. S

The World's Weirdest/Stupidest Conspiracy Theories?

There seems to be a lot of Glasgow Celtic fans who think that every point dropped or bad result is the result of a Scotland wide anti-Celtic and catholicism conspiracy. Oddly the fact that Celtic are a very successful team domestically doesn't seem to shake these beliefs.
  22. S

Island man

I was lucky enough to visit all on the inhabited Shetland isles a few years ago and was struck by how different they all are from one another. My favourite was Papa Stour, but not sure if I could live there though. I'm slowly but surely working my way around the Orkney isles too. Hoy is...
  23. S

'The Great Global Warming Swindle': Is Climate Change A Myth?

Well I am well impressed that someone has challenged Nobel Peace Prize winner Mr Gore's docurama in a British court, and it has been found wanting. It has been ruled that Al Gore's docurama An Inconvienient Truth is not fit to be used as a classroom aid unless the other side of the theory is...
  24. S

oh my goodness you got me there!! What is the point of having a debate when people just disregard the facts? The temperature may well rise in the future, indeed it may well fall, at the moment despite continued soaring CO2 emmissions it has not risen for years. In the face of the logic of...
  25. S

Well your quoted Dr Lockwood seems to see a FACTual link until the 80's, and then he trys to rubbish over 100 years worth of data based on the last 20 years... the last 10 years of which just don't fit his conclusions. To quote the good Dr..."You can't just ignore bits of data that you don't...
  26. S

The planets temperature has indeed remained high for the last 10 years, however CO2 emmissions have risen faster than ever. If emmissions are responsible for rising temperatures why have they not soared in the last decade? The Sun's output has dipped, and temperatures have stabilised. Perhaps...
  27. S

Nobody is argueing whether or not the planet is warmer now than it was a century ago. With regard to studying short periods - the rise is consistent with the overall trend in a century of records of Sun activity. Also, the fact that CO2 emmissions have continued to rise for the last decade...
  28. S

Figures can be interpreted in many ways, my point is that Dr Lockwood seems to be just as guilty of interpreting them in such a way to back up his case as anyone else. One interpretation could very easily be; There has been no Global temperature rise in the last 10 years, this could...
  29. S

http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/climon/data/themi/g17.htm The ASCII file option above the graph will give you access to the data that the graph is drawn on, and then have a look at the last 10 years. No temperature rise in the last decade, and you could argue an actual fall since 1998, but as...
  30. S

I just had a quick look but couldn't find that article. I had a look at the last ten year Global & Hemispheric Temperatures for myself though and the temperature peaked in 1998, fell in 1999 and 2000, then rose a bit again in 2001 and has been level until 2007. Certainly the temperature...
  31. S

I read in the Scotsman last week that the Earth temperature has actually fallen in the last 10 years. This prompted many people to post comments that although the recent trend was downward the overall long term trend was very much upward. (I can't remember the article, but it was definitely in...
  32. S

Of course you do realise you may have just tipped the balance with that last comment?
  33. S

I predict tomorrow we will have some weather. The day after that too probably. Woohoo, look now I'm an expert!
  34. S

Erm, so if I don't agree with you then I'm not being intellectual? I see. So glad for you that you have access to such an intellectual source or reference as an archaeologist poker bud. "Probably" due to climate change? Well if it was due to climate change then are you saying that this was...
  35. S

Wake up from what exactly? Climate change IS the norm. At what point in history has the climate been static?
  36. S

one day, when I can be bothrereded I will try to tidy up my "quotes" thang. One day. :o
  37. S

Yup seems normal around here.
  38. S

Conclusively rubbished? Really? So are you saying that the correlation between Global warming and Sun spot activity as presented on the programme doesn't exist then? Or is it just as you think the maker of the programme is not your cup of tea then anything he presented can be dismissed out...
  39. S

I don't particularly agree with the gentleman in question's career moves. However only an unintelligent person would shoot the messenger. As for "the type of thing a complete tosser and a moron" might do comment I stand by it. If you resort to sweeping generalisations and name calling...
  40. S

I don't think that climate change is something that one can "believe" in or not. There has never been a time when the Earth's climate wasn't changing. The question is whether or not one believes that the current changes are entirely natural, entirely man-made or a combination of both. If...
  41. S

The Transdimensional Gas Station

In these days of planet google, can you give us the reference of the road? Can you show us that tree lined nordic highway?
  42. S

I am making a lot of assumptions? You SUSPECT populations and GENERAL conditions were very different. Animals go extint FOR LOTS OF REASONS. A change in their environment MAY VERY WELL BE the last straw. Well the FACT is that every species on Earth today has survived a warmer climate.
  43. S

Can you say Medieval Climate Optimum (Medieval Warm Period will suffice)? :roll: :roll: The flora and fauna that are here today clearly survived that period. Incidently, this is the period which coincided with the peak in solar activity known as the Medieval Maximum. What a coincidence...
  44. S

As no doubt they were wintering farther south during the colder spells of the last century. All the bird species mentioned here will cope with global warming perfectly well, as indeed will the Polar bear, Harp seal et al as long we leave them to ge on with it. We know this because the...
  45. S

Global Warming & Climate Change: Humans' Reactions & Responses

It really is about time that someone asked the IPCC why they have totally ignored the source of all warming on Earth, the Sun. There's no point in tinkering with the fine tuning of the Earth's climate control if you don't try to understand how the engine works.
  46. S

Surely this is just is no different from the scientists who claim to have had their views misrepresented by the IPCC. There seemed to be little concern when they spoke out. edited due to sticky keys on my keyboard. I blame man-made CO2
  47. S

Once again all I'm seeing is attacks on the messenger, not the message. Is it FACT that a rise in CO2 has preceded a rise in global temperature in the past, or it it a bunch of ARSE? I think we should be told.
  48. S

CO2 is only one of the greenhouse gasses, and when compared to water vapour its an insignificant one. What dictates how much water vapour we have in the atmosphere? The Sun. Pumping lots of CO2 into the atmosphere may not be great idea, but its not going to cause the end of the world...
Back