• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. Shadowsot

OOPArts: Out Of Place Artefacts & Archaeological Erratics

I'm noticing a distinct lack of a bubble canopy. Pretty sure those aren't a good idea on a rocket.
  2. Shadowsot

If it's a rocket ship, why does it look like something from the golden age of scifi instead of how actual rockets look?
  3. Shadowsot

Terry Pratchett

Nightwatch can be enjoyed on its own. But I really feel like you need the lead up from the previous books for the story to really hit.
  4. Shadowsot

The Sphinx (Great Sphinx Of Giza)

There's a great interview with Lee Clare on the Prehistory Guys Podcast. Dr Lee Clare is the coordinator for the excavation, and goes over the current state of the site.
  5. Shadowsot

I want to be clear I'm just a keenidiot on this stuff, just taking what I've learned from reading and listening and occasionally email exchanges. I get particularly annoyed with Clovis stuff because it was pretty clear before we had definite evidence that there were people here before Clovis...
  6. Shadowsot

You say this. But then follow with this It might seem like that when you don't know much of it, but like with the Pre-Clovis example: the bulk of it is just simply there's no good evidence for a claim versus the amount of evidence that goes into "mainstream" idea. This also tends to...
  7. Shadowsot

Really wish this trope would die already. Even Hancock admits (admittedly in the works cited section of one of his books) that the evidence for Pre-Clovis wasn't good until Monte Verde was dated. The site in Canada was the fault of the local archaeologosts but wasn't known outside of it until...
  8. Shadowsot

Atheism

Atheism is a single position in the god question. There are atheistic religions. Atheism isn't a religion itself.
  9. Shadowsot

Star Trek

The real reason at least in part was to offset some of the heavier plot elements. Pike dealing with his future death, the season finale. I personally hate musicals, I find them irritating. Though the last scene with the klingons was hilarious.
  10. Shadowsot

Atheism

Well it's hard to ignore when they hold public office. It's not that bizarre. According to Jesus: It just depends on how you interpret fulfilled in that part. Liberal Christians believe that Jesus full filled the law so they no longer all apply. Fundamentalists don't, and are waiting for...
  11. Shadowsot

Atheism

I mean the New Testament has plenty of nasty stuff in there as well. It's where we get the conception of Hell. Remarrying is the same as adultery. Forbids women from teaching or having authority over a man, and to remain silent. You can agree on the meaning of the statement but Jesus did...
  12. Shadowsot

Atheism

Catholicism isn't right wing, it just contains several views that are part of the right wing politics here in the US.
  13. Shadowsot

Atheism

There's a tendency to make politicians cynical and savvy manipulators of the faith of their constituents. But I tend to think that with some exceptions they're as genuine in their faith as their constituents. They're leaning into the same faith their constituents hold, not pushing it into a...
  14. Shadowsot

Atheism

I'd point out that for a not insignificant number of people politics isn't something they can avoid. Religious backed politics can and does affect their job, their health, who they marry, and so on. Or that of someone they know and/or care about. "Look I know they're calling you and those like...
  15. Shadowsot

Atheism

Up until the 2000s it was very rare to meet a fellow atheist. Love and hate them but Dawkins et all got things kicking. At the very least to promote opposition as in "yes we're atheists but we're not like *those* atheists." That said I have much worse issues with theists in my life. Studying...
  16. Shadowsot

Atheism

We have the word atheist to describe people who do not believe in a god unlike those people, which we call theists, that do believe in a god. There's a reason people have to invent absurd examples when crying about the word atheist existing, because we generally have words for most views and...
  17. Shadowsot

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

True, forgot about that with how he had to be talked into regenerating at his end. I don't know about Susan but it would be way to introduce another child to his story. Do hope Susan is brought back at some point in this new run.
  18. Shadowsot

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

As a 90s kid with three sisters who controlled the radio growing up i was already feeling dread at the opening threads of the song.
  19. Shadowsot

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Apparently we can only have the doctor played as a straight white man with no complicated personal life. Anything else is politics. Do ignore the frequent camp from previous doctors of course. Anyway absolutely loved Ncuti. Almost immediately won me over. Will have to see when he's running...
  20. Shadowsot

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

I think people are taking a rather rosy view of history and classic television. When Doctor Who and Star Trek first aired, things like desegregation were hot button "contemporary fashionable concepts" here in the states. The writing was progressive for it's day, and it could vary between...
  21. Shadowsot

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Loved this episode, definitely was delightfully creepy. And that final scene brought a tear to my eye. But I will say it's the first time I have to agree with those folks complaining about the music. Genuinely at times I couldn't make out what was being said because of the music.
  22. Shadowsot

Mithras/Jesus Myth

While I'm not going to say he's necessarily wrong, it is true that seminarios and divinity schools and the number of religious oriented colleges and universities does mean there's going to be a bias. Again, not necessarily wrong but as solid an argument as he may think. Personally I do think...
  23. Shadowsot

I read a write up by an Indian researcher some while back when these pictures were showing up. Unfortunately it's been so long I don't remember the actual story behind them. Just that the pictures are severely cut out of context, hence why they're so zoomed in you can't see what's around them.
  24. Shadowsot

Large Ancient 'Pyramid' Structure In Indonesia (Mount Padang)

There's a lot of skepticism about this site, despite the hype of the authors of the paper. The concensus is still that the site is an extinct volcano that formed basaltic columns. The papers published don't really counter this, and though they have soil samples they don't establish the dates...
  25. Shadowsot

Wife Buried Next To Husband For 1,000 Years Had Face Hollowed Out

Looks like they don't have enough information yet if they haven't determined if it was done at the time or burial or more recently.
  26. Shadowsot

Hunter-Gatherers: New Findings & Theories

Take these claims with a large grain of salt. They admit that they started their own group because regular journals didn't accept their research so they essentially went off to form their own research group with blackjack and hookers. A number of papers published by these people have been...
  27. Shadowsot

The Atlantis Thread

Over centuries. Geologically it's rapid, over a human experience not so much. And the only person who wrote down this story comes from a single Greek philosopher thousands of years later? If were going to take it as inspiration we're lacking most of the elements of the Atlantis story...
  28. Shadowsot

The Atlantis Thread

Atlantis was supposed to be a warlike civilization that conquered most of the then known world that was defeated by ancient Athenians before turning into an unnavigateable mudflat. It was flooded, not destroyed by erupting volcanoes. To say nothing of the extensive wildlife that was supposed...
  29. Shadowsot

The Atlantis Thread

I'm going to watch the video, but just from the start I'm a little concerned that we're talking about archaeology, and the professor is a physicist. It automatically raises questions about his conclusions when he's stepping well outside of his field. From the rest of the video... I'm hearing a...
  30. Shadowsot

The Atlantis Thread

It's worth noting though there's no account of an Atlantis from the Egyptians. And when it comes to the Greeks we only have the tale from Plato. Which when you compare to what are considered real lost places isn't how it works. Take Kush for example, we have legends, plural. Trade agreements...
  31. Shadowsot

The First Americans (Peopling Of The Americas)

Caution should always be observed, but this looks much more solid than some of the other claims recently. I'm excited.
  32. Shadowsot

I was really excited when I originally saw the story a year ago but a bit of digging turned up what was real. There's lots of unknown stuff out there, especially around ancient history. But for some reason people aren't satisfied with what we really don't know and what the ancients really did...
  33. Shadowsot

Museum number K.8538 The Köfels landslide was originally thought to have been an impact but is now known to be a landslide. There's also the age to keep in mind. Writing wasn't really invented yet when it's supposed to date from.
  34. Shadowsot

To be a bit pedantic the word the symbol translates to is to purify so.... Yeah.
  35. Shadowsot

This is false. It actually is a planisphere that depicts the sky around 625 bc. Give me some time to get to my computer and I'll dig it up from the museum.
  36. Shadowsot

This is it. I looked through some hieroglyphs and found a very similar one. And a little more digging turned up this: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/w%EA%9C%A5b Looks like just a coincidence of placement and leaving off part of the glyph.
  37. Shadowsot

Star Trek

I felt the opposite. I liked this episode more than the previous one personally.
  38. Shadowsot

Star Trek

Personally I throughly enjoyed season one. Season two is a rough start. I don't like the action of nutrek and it sort of stretched my suspension of disbelief a few times.
  39. Shadowsot

Strange Creature Filmed In Water, South Carolina

Cuttlefish or sea slug would be my guess as well, or something along those lines. Swear I've seen one before in clearer water.
  40. Shadowsot

Terry Pratchett

My father recently fell ill, and I lent him my kindle while he recovers. He started on the Watch books and has been burning through them every few days. Had some delightful discussions with him about the books.
  41. Shadowsot

Yup wrote that when I was tired. My bad.
  42. Shadowsot

Sure but the issue is is just being possible doesn't mean it happened. And the route to Australia was much easier than the route to the Americas. The issue for awhile was there was no real evidence of Pre-Clovis sites. Now there are a good number of sites that have been known since the 90s, and...
  43. Shadowsot

Australia was settled between 50 to 65 thousand years ago. Currently the oldest definite dates for humans in North America are around 20,000 between genetic evidence and the white sands footprints. With the important caveat being that people didn't just cross over and make a beeline for the...
  44. Shadowsot

At the base it was just lack of real evidence. Clovis first replaced another theory placing human settlement much earlier. There were diehards in some places, definitely. But at the same time there was difficulty establishing solid results of Pre-Clovis sites. Part of it was the technology...
  45. Shadowsot

Whats interesting is that we now have solid evidence that humans reached the Americas earlier than used to be thought before Pre-Clovis was proved. But we still don't really know why we don't have the same sort of populations we saw in the Old World around the same time. One of the problems...
  46. Shadowsot

Cleopatra

Willing to bet this is seeking more of the controversy pr that got more eyeballs on the Anceitn Apocalypse series as well.
  47. Shadowsot

Ancient Marvels: Skillful Humans Or Helpful Aliens?

And their concrete lasts so long because they didn't reinforce it with rebar.
  48. Shadowsot

Ancient Marvels: Skillful Humans Or Helpful Aliens?

I'd be really cautious about saying we don't know how. An example of this is I listened to a lecture by an archaeoligst where he stated we don't know how the H blocks at Pumu apunku were made. But as I've a friend who was an archaeoligst who worked there I happen to know that there are blocks...
Back