• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. wembley8

It's The Zionists

Whatever you say about ol' Ahmadinejad, he certainly brings conspiracy theory right into the mainstream: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/ap ... ech-israel
  2. wembley8

Modern Urban Legends?

There's not much sign (as far as I can see) of modern ULs. In our celeb-obsessed culture there don't seem to be that many celeb-based ULs - I can only think of the "David Beckham paid my mortgage" one. As for new technology, has there been a techno-UL since the poodle in the microwave? And...
  3. wembley8

Fingerprint scans at US stations

I used a left luggage locker at a US railways station (Chicago) last week, and found that as well as giving you a PIN number to retrieve your luggage, it also does a fingerprint scan, supposedly as a security measure. Who's security? Is this so that if someone tries to blow the station up...
  4. wembley8

Help Marc Van Roosmalen

I was amazed by the collection of new species that Marc Van Roosmalen has ben discovering in Amazonia, featured in the lastest FT - some of them may not pan out as distinct species, but he's already had several scientifically accepted and many more to come - new big cats, giant peccary...
  5. wembley8

Natives Unable to See Magellan's Ships?

There is this story that, when European explorers first turned up, the locals simply could not see their ships because they were so far outside of their world-view. Thsi is repeated here - http://allspinzone.blogspot.com/2005/02 ... place.html and in the recent dire film 'What the bleep do we...
  6. wembley8

Weird Phone Calls From Unknown Lover

I got a series of phone calls yesterday from a strange woman who seemed to think I was in love with her and was complaining that I was ignoring her. She refused to give her name (or confirm who she thought I was), but was very persistent, haranging me and my wife when she answered the phone...
  7. wembley8

Iran's Nuclear Scam

So how it goes it this: 1) Iran threatens to resstars its nuclear program 2) World gets worried. US makes military preparations. 3) The net effect is that the price of oil shoots through the roof, benefitting major oil exporters, in particular - 4) - Iran. Fiendish, eh?
  8. wembley8

Cat Off A Tower Block: Genuine Video Or Horrific Hoax?

A friend-of-a-friend was allegedly shown some video on someone's mobile of a cat being thrown off a tower block by some kids... Anyone else heard this on? Is this a pure UL, or a practical joke (the resolutioin on those things isn't very good) or a variation on 'happy slap TV?'
  9. wembley8

Francesco Giorgi - mysterious mastermind?

The Venetian Francesco Giorgi (or Zorzi) appears to have come to England in 1533 or so and according to some he was responsible for the founding of the whole esoteric/hermetic/caballistic tradition over here...but he is a very shadowy figure. Apart from a few conspiracy websites and odd...
  10. wembley8

What would you explore

George W Bush is looking at another manned moon mission as his 'next big thing'. How very unimaginative - been there, doen that. As a Fortean, what do you think he should be exploring instead? A NASA for cryptozoology? A large-scale effort to explore psi phenomena?
Back