• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. LittleBat

FT388

The Australian poltergeist article was particularly good. That article was more like a cover article. The cover article on the Cecil Hotel was a disappointment. It was cursory - just a visit to the place and some scattered observations. It is actually only part of a longer article on ghost...
  2. LittleBat

FT356

Wow Urvogel - on the basis of what you have said, I do not like that article. I shall have to get hold of a copy soon. I look forward to the fairies cover story - that's good Fortean stuff. I like historical articles, and mysterious things.
  3. LittleBat

FT351

There was a book about it from UNSW press a few years ago, and occasional articles. A very good topic for the Fortean Times.
  4. LittleBat

Back Issue CD ROMs?

My situation is exactly the same. I wanted to get them, but put off, intending to save up a bit of money. But now I am looking about for them in vain. They sounded really good - all the issues, from the earliest times.
  5. LittleBat

What Do the Scary Clowns Want?

This article is engaging and full of scholarly information. In fact, it is superior to the FT cover article on the same topic from late last year. It is very unusual for the FT to be beaten out by any other journal. I suppose it had to happen sometime. I am putting in this link, as it is good...
  6. LittleBat

What Do the Scary Clowns Want?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/16/opinion/sunday/what-do-the-scary-clowns-want.html By BESS LOVEJOYOCT. 15, 2016 The Great Clown Scare of 2016 started in the dog days of August, when a young man began wandering the streets of Green Bay, Wis., in gruesome black-and-white clown makeup, carrying...
  7. LittleBat

FT348

I thought that the illustrations for the Krampus article were lovely.
  8. LittleBat

The Blood Of St. Januarius / San Gennaro (Liquidness As Omen)

You are talking nonsense. This is obviously a sign of global warming. Our doom is upon us.
  9. LittleBat

Thylacines (Post-1936 Sightings)

Yet another reason never to go as a tourist to Mexico.
  10. LittleBat

FT345

I am very sorry, but a moment ago, I put up a thread about issue 345. For some reason, I could not find this thread. So my contribution should be added to this. But how does one pull a thread on FT forums? I can't find out how to do it. Your post has now been moved into this thread.
  11. LittleBat

FT345

I greatly enjoyed the article "Manuscripts of Mystery", by established Fortean writer Ian Simmons. It gives detailed information about the Voynich Manuscript, and has lovely illustrations. Illustrations and quirky historical facts are also to be found in "Fashion Victims" by Maria J Perez...
  12. LittleBat

UFO Expert Max Spiers Found Dead

This is creepy. Apparently, he was involved in other conspiracy research, aside from UFOs - looking into scandals about eminent people.
  13. LittleBat

Problem: Exorcists In Short Supply / More Needed

I think that there are indeed cases of people trapped with evil forces. I especially advice people to stay away from ouija boards. However, no doubt a lot of these cases are just psychological dramas. In some repressive Catholic societies being possessed is one way to say offensive things to...
  14. LittleBat

Berlin's Jewish Museum opens show on mystic golem creature

A gigantic golem made out of wooden Hebrew letters lies motionless on the ground, yet it seems as if only a few magic whispers are needed to bring the creature to life. The sculpture, created by California artist Joshua Abarbanel, is one of 250 objects on display at the new "Golem" show in the...
  15. LittleBat

False Memories

Are you sure of that? I mean, as a youngster, were you ever close mouthed about doing things which the olds might disapprove of? The reason I raise this, is that I wonder if you went secretly with some friends to try to learn to ride a motorcycle. I certainly had plenty of friends who rode...
  16. LittleBat

False Memories

I have a memory, fairly clear, of an event which apparently never happened. It was when I was very young, just a toddler. My parents had a tempestuous marriage and were both very odd, in many ways. One night, my mother told us that we would follow father's car, after he left the house (he often...
  17. LittleBat

False Memories

That's very puzzling. It sounds like a "muscle memory", from some part of your life no longer accessible to your conscious brain. The lessons and license might be confabulations, by your mind, to cover up this gap.
  18. LittleBat

Are All Psychics & Fortune Tellers Fakes?

That is similar to me - I do tea leaf readings, and coffee cup readings, but not very often. I have made accurate readings - perhaps it is just a coincidence - I don't make any great claims. Sometimes I can't see anything, so I have to tell the person that it is not possible to do a reading at...
  19. LittleBat

FT344

I found the article about serial murder from the 19th century very well written and researched. Jan Bondeson is a very good writer. I found the cover article - about phantom Big Cats - to be rather lacking. It just seemed to list sightings, and go no further. Maybe the writer is working on the...
  20. LittleBat

FT345

One of the best examples of synchronicity in Fortean Times stories, was the publication of a story "Ariel Sharon Death Curse", in Feb 2006. The article was about a colourful group of religious zealots in Israel who, about a year previously, had put a curse on the Prime Minister. The article was...
  21. LittleBat

Fortean Times Editor David Sutton On Successful Niche Magazines

I introduced my niece to the Fortean Times, and now she is a dedicated reader. Gift subscriptions are a wonderful present.
  22. LittleBat

The Anthrax Thread

I hope that this is the reason. Russia's recent involvement in the Middle East makes one think of the possibility of bio-terrorism.
  23. LittleBat

Call Jack Back

I have a slightly similar story from Facebook. I, my sister, and a young lady friend E. - a glamorous girl - met for dinner at a restaurant on an open terrace during a busy summer evening. There were a fair few people around, and our young friend is a noticeable girl. But we did not notice...
  24. LittleBat

Subscription Problems

Are there any other platforms which sell the FT, aside from Zinio? I would like to improve my range and experience of zines in electronic format.
  25. LittleBat

Weeping Icons & Bleeding Statues

Weeping icons are a familiar miracle in the Eastern Orthodox faith. If I were in that city, I would go along to see it.
  26. LittleBat

Wife Crashes Own Funeral, Horrifying Husband Who'd Paid To Have Her Killed

Husband only got a sentence of 9 years ... Australian judges are remarkably tolerant of family violence.
  27. LittleBat

Cannibalism: Disturbing, Gory—Strangely Common

Very likely. Holy Communion seems to be an echo of the Dionysian mystery religions. They began as sacrificial - a man was torn to pieces and eaten by the maenads (women in a ritualistic frenzy.) In later centuries, these evolved to mystical rituals where bread and wine took the place of flesh...
  28. LittleBat

Reading Too Much Into A Resemblance?

...subliminal messaging. It may have been an example of such, in that you may have seen the book the other passenger was reading without fully realizing you had done so. A sort of seeing without seeing occurrence. This can happen when our minds are concerned about other issues; and this, in...
  29. LittleBat

Reading Too Much Into A Resemblance?

This is a wonderful anecdote. I find it relevant that Anne Boleyn is not merely a tragic and important historical figure - she is a person associated with witchcraft and the supernatural. At the time of her death, she was fortunate to be beheaded rather than burned at the stake, because there...
  30. LittleBat

Lost: Malaysia Airlines—Flight MH-370

However wild and improbable that film may be, it could hardly be more so than the received version of events.
  31. LittleBat

FT336

Wow - was there a lot of literary commentary on it - I mean articles where scholars analyse the book?
  32. LittleBat

FT336

Oh yes, I can assure you that some FT writers are here on the forum, and are active in commenting, as well. With lively curiosity, they see brickbats and bouquets for their articles. Sometimes they are disconcerted.
  33. LittleBat

FT336

I am a fan of Alan Garner's early books, so my opinion is biased. But I would recommend you try them - the 1st 2 books, Weirdstone of Brisingamen and the Moon of Gomrath - the quality of the prose is remarkable, and the mythology themes are rich and beautifully woven in to the literature.
  34. LittleBat

Body and Blood of Christ / Eucharistic Miracles

In addition to the Anglican case, there was an Australian Catholic priest (now drummed out of the Church - excommunicated) who gave Holy Communion to a dog. The dog died shortly afterwards. http://www.smh.com.au/national/people/the-outsider-20131103-2wvjt.html
  35. LittleBat

FT335

The Christmas cover which you recall may be the one which featured an article on the "Star of Bethlehem". Very good stuff, very classic Fortean Times and excellent for Christmas.
  36. LittleBat

FT in PE

I have not seen that issue, but must get hold of it. The term "Fortean" is often used now, showing the general influence of the magazine.
  37. LittleBat

FT334 - Fortellings

I saw a notice on twitter, from the editor, saying that the next issue of the FT is made up, and it has lots of GHOST stories, for Christmas.
  38. LittleBat

FT334 - Fortellings

I liked the Black Dahlia article, and also the previous article by that writer, on the film Nosferatu.
  39. LittleBat

FT334 - Fortellings

Coffee, magazines and cloudy skies. MY kind of Saturday. The article on the Black Dahlia has me thinking again, and I might look up James Ellroy's novel, which is a creative reinterpretation of this famous crime.
  40. LittleBat

FT334 - Fortellings

What a day. They say there will be a cool change, from the south, and may be gales and storms.
  41. LittleBat

The Bad Sex In Fiction Awards 2015

The Making of Zombie Wars by Aleksandar Hemon got a nomination on one website. It seems very up to date, and topical, of the Bad Sex in Fiction award to be including the zombies. http://www.someecards.com/entertainment/books/bad-sex-in-fiction-award/
  42. LittleBat

Burying magic books in folklore

It is not quite a folktale, but rather a novel, but a buried, semi-destroyed book is central to the plot of An Enemy at Green Knowe, by Lucy Boston. The Green Knowe books were a series of children's stories. One reviewer says: "An Enemy at Green Knowe has the best single-sentence summary of the...
  43. LittleBat

Pablo Neruda: Poet's Body Exhumed In Murder Probe

Fascinating. I did not know of this story about the famous poet. Certainly, it is true that the Pinochet regime murdered thousands of people, and now I see that there are grounds to believe that he may have been one of them.
  44. LittleBat

FT334 - Fortellings

A tweet has been sent out from the Editor! UK subscribers should start getting their copies of FT334 soon - just a warning that it's a rather gruesome issue and not one for the kids! On Oct 29 the Editor has tweeted: Feel a bit creeped out after doing this magic n' murder-focused issue - look...
  45. LittleBat

A Book With New Evidence Of A Jack The Ripper Suspect

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3303362/Was-poet-Francis-Thompson-real-Jack-Ripper-Teacher-develops-new-theory-19th-Century-writer-surgical-experience-opium-addiction-butchered-prostitutes.html This looks most intriguing, and I wish to have your book, as soon as it is published.
  46. LittleBat

FT333

Rynner, no talking about the secret society in front of new members.
  47. LittleBat

FT333

I very much liked the article on the Sitwell family. The illustrations were good, too. Lovely old portrait photographs of the talented and odd Sitwells.
  48. LittleBat

Suggest Improvements To The Fortean Times

I surely don't like a tone of cynical sneering, especially as it can never really explain anything. But the tone of the Fortean Times is usually good, and at its best has that mixture of scholarship and elan - a way to address the wonder of the world and the enigma of the unknown. This depends...
  49. LittleBat

The Mysterious Case Of Elisa Lam

Sometimes, though, the mentally disturbed can more easily be drawn into other realities, and can more easily see unquiet spirits - if one believes in such things, one would consider that as a possibility. I surely do not like the sound of that hotel. I don't know how she could have opened the...
  50. LittleBat

Jack The Ripper (Compendium Thread)

I was the same. I gave in - I was drifting about a bookstore, while on a shopping break on an interstate trip. I am always very much inclined to give in to myself and get yet another book. So I left with that book, and a few other choice items. I have started reading it, and find the style in...
Back