• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. ChasFink

The Adventure Of The Coincidental Hat

I just saw a TV commercial featuring a little girl in a deerstalker hat, and it reminded me of an odd coincidence - or was it? Back in my college days I had a lovely wool deerstalker myself. It was a brown houndstooth weave, looked very much like one depicted on a Sherlock Holmes anthology I...
  2. ChasFink

Old Texas TV Show Received On British TV?

There was a rerun of an old Dick Cavett talk show on today. Guests included Arthur C. Clarke and Rod Serling, and it was taped in July 1972. At one point Cavett mentioned a story of people in the UK* receiving a telecast with American accents that supposedly turned out to be a show transmitted...
  3. ChasFink

Inanimate Objects As Defendants

Sometimes there are legal cases where the defendant appears to be one or more inanimate objects. This can happen in cases of In rem jurisdiction, where the court asserts jurisdiction over property instead of persons. The names of these cases can sound quite silly. I give you: United States v...
  4. ChasFink

U.S. Subscribers: What Did You Pay?

After the trouble with the FT website during the transition from IMS doing U.S. subscriptions to the publisher handling them directly, I recently renewed. Or rather, because my current subscription status wasn't being recognized, I ordered a "new" subscription. I was charged £95.49 for a year...
  5. ChasFink

My Tea Is Buzzing!

I just made myself a cup of tea with a Twinings Earl Grey teabag. There was a distinct buzzing coming from the cup which became louder when I took out the teabag, but I thought it was just air escaping from the tea leaves packed together. It's been a few minutes, but the cup still buzzes...
  6. ChasFink

Jožin z Bažin (Novelty Song)

The inspiration for this post comes from posts to the Humour & Jokes thread by @uair01, who has graciously allowed me to make the first post to this (somewhat) more serious thread. The subject of "Jožin z bažin", a 1977 Czech novelty song by Ivan Mládek and his group, Banjo Band, is already...
  7. ChasFink

Web Site Of Mundane Things

Many years ago I stumbled across a web site that catalogued mundane details of modern life that we generally don't put in writing: things like "VCRs have built-in timers that allow people to record specific shows at a future time, but some people find it difficult to program" or "Stores often...
  8. ChasFink

Mystery 'Spider' - Not!

I was chatting with a bus driver the other day, and we got around to talking about how many more wild animals are around since people aren't on the streets as much these days. This reminded him of something his wife had seen on a local online forum. Someone had discovered a strange spider or...
  9. ChasFink

Was I On A Train That Didn't Exist?

This week I had an experience very much like the Mandela effect. To go home from work, I usually take a shuttle bus from my campus that deposits me at the local railroad station in Hicksville, New York a little before 5:00 PM. From there I take a bus home to Mineola. If I miss my usual shuttle...
Back