• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. ShadyCavalier

The Transdimensional Gas Station

I stumbled across this article on a purportedly haunted shop on the border of Norway and Sweden, and it reminded me of this thread: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/haunted-grocery-store-explain-the-unexplained?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-gb
  2. ShadyCavalier

The Mandela Effect: False Memory

Lawks, was one conceived in Saudi Arabia, another in Austria, and the third in a bush?
  3. ShadyCavalier

Strange Things That Scared You (But Aren't Obviously 'Scary')

I Googled that with some apprehension, and when it came up as being the one in Mr Bean, something in my brain was mildly afright at the memory of that version. The original does nothing to me though.
  4. ShadyCavalier

Minor Hauntings

I have the same reaction to stories that begin with "I was a sceptic... AT LEAST I THOUGHT I WAS!"
  5. ShadyCavalier

It Happened To Aunty Mavis

This line - "now 80 odd and losing some of the weight so essential in defining her younger self" - is the most perfect piece of prose I've read in a while.
  6. ShadyCavalier

The Transdimensional Gas Station

Well done you.
  7. ShadyCavalier

Phone Weirdness

Impressive hammer pump module in rat sounds... painful?
  8. ShadyCavalier

Creepy Small Villages

So that's what it was! I used to go out for night drives and it would always give me the creeps. On a bend, if I remember rightly. I had no idea it was the back of a pub until now.
  9. ShadyCavalier

Doctors Advise: Do Not Put Frozen Potatoes In Your Anus

Page one had me crying with laughter, especially the advice to "Put the pieces in the freezer. Wait until they are frozen".
  10. ShadyCavalier

Creepy Small Villages

Put me in mind of South Oxhey. Tell us more about the CCTV house!
  11. ShadyCavalier

BBC Political Bias Is A 'Conspiracy Theory' Say The BBC

And there was me thinking I was being original. This response kind of proves my point. The Left say the BBC hate Jeremy Corbyn, the Right say they hate Boris Johnson. What more could you ask for?
  12. ShadyCavalier

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1391865/BBC-to-air-abolition-of-monarchy-debate.html Old, but you did say "never".
  13. ShadyCavalier

Bright Flashes Of Light!

How (un?)lucky we are! I did often speak to the house and tell it how much we loved it and how what we were doing was all for its benefit, so maybe the spirits listened.
  14. ShadyCavalier

Bright Flashes Of Light!

I'm slightly put out that, having renovated a house, I have nothing to report. I wonder, was the work of the structural variety, as mine was refurbishment.
  15. ShadyCavalier

A quick thought. If rightwing people think the BBC have leftwing bias and vice versa, this must mean the BBC is doing an excellent job of being unbiased, as neither side is satisfied.
  16. ShadyCavalier

Things Breaking

Her poor feet.
  17. ShadyCavalier

Let The Right One In (NOT Alexa)

Things like Alexa put me in mind of Anne Reid's speech in Years & Years, where she essentially says we allowed it (the ruination of the world) to happen by buying t-shirts that only cost 99 pence.
  18. ShadyCavalier

Saturn Return

Rather annoyingly, I'm not particularly fond of champagne!
  19. ShadyCavalier

Saturn Return

Possibly not the right section for this thread, but it was the section that inspired me to make it. Earlier this evening I was speaking to a friend about how one's late 20s seem to be one long massive churn, and she mentioned the theory of Saturn's Return...
  20. ShadyCavalier

Most Haunted Places In Your Home Town

I've walked around there, peered inside, taken photos, and then gotten lost in the forest. I was struck more by the horror that a whole family used to live in there than by anything supernatural.
  21. ShadyCavalier

Diane Morgan Ghost Clips

Overlong and not especially scintillating, but I did enjoy the aforementioned Sandi Toksvig segment and the part in the Edinburgh Vaults with the girl scratching her leg.
  22. ShadyCavalier

Elizabeth I: Secret Author

She's getting to be rather prolific: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Miroir_or_Glasse_of_the_Synneful_Soul
  23. ShadyCavalier

Probably less Mandela Effect and more General "Ooh-Arr" Accent Ignorance.
  24. ShadyCavalier

Excuse? It actually went over my head that it was an abbreviation of "Mandela Effect" at first. Have I accidentally hit a nerve?
  25. ShadyCavalier

At first I thought you were talking about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome :Givingup:
  26. ShadyCavalier

Good point - I hadn't considered the influence of those two exclaves. I don't remember Puerto Rico ever featuring. Again, I was surprised to learn as an adult that it's technically part of America.
  27. ShadyCavalier

Quite a few of those - such as the Star Wars and Snow White ones - are simply a case of misinformation, along the same lines as "Elementary, my Dear Watson". One that struck me, though, was being taught America had 52 states. I have no recollection of explicitly being told this, but I do...
  28. ShadyCavalier

Unhappy Houses & Odd Happenings

Golly, Is there anyone on here who doesn't have a connexion? One wonders if the flat would raise less suspicion if it was brazenly listed at "London prices". I wonder who it is that bought it in the first place...
  29. ShadyCavalier

People Who Feel Wrong

Apparently they were largely ignored and were abolished altogether in the 80s. Considering it only cost a few pence, it wasn't much of a deterrent - a short test would be a good start.
  30. ShadyCavalier

You didn't strike me as being that way inclined...
  31. ShadyCavalier

People Who Feel Wrong

You ought to have a licence before you can own a pet.
  32. ShadyCavalier

Celebrity 'It Should Have Been Me...'

Violet Jessop must have been a man.
  33. ShadyCavalier

Celebrity 'It Should Have Been Me...'

Not quite on topic, but I often try to "tune in" when boarding a Tube train, to see if there's something telling me to wait for the next one. And then, once on board, I wonder if the train I'm on was the one that got away just in time...
  34. ShadyCavalier

... It feels as though we're playing the grimmest game of Seven Degrees of Separation ever. I'm guessing your friend/colleague and my acquaintance are two different people then. Small world. I wonder who else we know who looked at that flat...
  35. ShadyCavalier

People Who Feel Wrong

I suppose they're more likely to go for the Meet Me At McDonald's look.
  36. ShadyCavalier

People Who Feel Wrong

And she's a MS?! My word. Do you heat your house solely on her bras? Well it's only shock value because society is still shocked by it. If no one "pushed the envelope" and "shocked" people, society would never progress.
  37. ShadyCavalier

People Who Feel Wrong

What about lower class ManBun men?
  38. ShadyCavalier

People Who Feel Wrong

Heaven forefend that a man wears a skirt and... gasp! A woman has a good job. AND wears trousers?! Did no one tell her it's 2019 and she still can't have it all?
  39. ShadyCavalier

It's about the only time I visit. Why do we do this to ourselves? :Givingup:
  40. ShadyCavalier

Crikey. If you were a character in a horror picture I'd be rolling my eyes right now.
  41. ShadyCavalier

I'm sure there are plenty, but there's (thankfully) only one Dennis Nielsen. The friend whose colleague it was who viewed the flat is very interested in serial killers (she even has a top 5) so of course she was very intrigued indeed.
  42. ShadyCavalier

He is English, I met him a couple of times. Heavily tattooed and a hairdresser. Apparently the property had been on the market for ages and was a steal... I went to an exhibition about forensics at the Wellcome Trust a few years back, and apparently traces of blood can still be detected even...
  43. ShadyCavalier

This post gave me the creeps - not because of the content, but because as soon as I read "Muswell Hill" I knew exactly what you were going to say next. Because a colleague of a friend of mine looked at the very same flat...
  44. ShadyCavalier

Why on Earth did you move to the estate after feeling so paranoid about it?
  45. ShadyCavalier

People Who Feel Wrong

I was so disappointed to read it was a mystery shopper, I had been settling in for a nice bit of coincidental weirdness. You have to admit though, he pulled out all the stops to see how you'd react and, if anything, they should have showered you with praise.
  46. ShadyCavalier

Trousers Smell Of Old Lady

I have two wardrobes - one for the current season and one for the off season (i.e. one for spring/summer, one for autumn/winter depending on the time of year). Whenever I start switching (which I have done in recent days), the clothes in the "off season" wardrobe always smell a tad... off. And...
  47. ShadyCavalier

Japanese Shrine / Mystery Glass Shard

Possible Japanese curse aside, what point have we come to in society that there's a shrine for flicking business cards into?
  48. ShadyCavalier

The Brown Lady Of Raynham Hall

There's something so deliciously 70s-ish about being a hanger-on at a genteel coastal hotel bar.
  49. ShadyCavalier

Phantom Flusher Drives Out OAP

I had a book as a child called "Help! My Toilet Is Haunted" or somesuch. In the end, the family charges people a fee to come and look, and no one can go for a piss as there's such a long queue.
Back