• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

It Happened To Aunty Mavis

milk23

Ephemeral Spectre
Hello

Ok so just a quick but really quite amazing tale.

So about two weeks ago my Aunty Mavis, now 80 odd and losing some of the weight so essential in defining her younger self, lost her wedding ring somewhere in her house. Obviously upset by this unfortunate occurrence Mavis conducted a thorough search of her place, alas to no avail. Now, over the back wall and down the road a bit lives Aunty Mavis' daughter and her husband Ian. Around a week after Mavis' ring had gone for a ball of chalk Ian, also lost his wedding ring (he thought) whilst shopping in Asda. According to him he first noted the naked finger following a delve into the lose onions. In the same manner as Aunty Mavis so too did Ian conduct a thorough search and, again, just like Mavis, the hunt proved fruitless. Fast forward to a few days ago and Ian receives a call from Asda that his ring has been handed in having been found beneath the potatoes... the same day, in her kitchen Aunty Mavis finally locates her own wedding ring, yes.... in a bag of spuds

My Mum had that happen too - her wedding ring fell off (because she'd lost weight) and she pretty much turned over the whole house looking for it. Weeks later, it turned up in a kitchen drawer where she'd looked many times. I was there when she found it.

I wish my mum's engagement ring would turn up. However, I've moved house since it was lost and it's been gone a good 20 years now, so I think I might have to give up on that one.

it turned up in a kitchen drawer where she'd looked many times.
Had similar myself, only with money.

A friend rang me in tears because she'd taken a wad of cash out of the bank to pay bills and couldn't find it. She'd already ransacked the place.

I went over, not expecting to be able to help, and asked her where she'd normally put it. She said it should be in the kitchen drawer which she'd already tipped out several times.

She had put everything back in the drawer by then. I opened it and felt about on the left side, and there was the money. It wasn't in an envelope or a rubber band, just placed there standing up on edge.

To me it looked as if she was playing silly buggers, and she said if she didn't know I hadn't been to hers since she took the money out she'd've thought I'd nicked it and put it back to pull her leg. I still don't now what happened there.

My daughter lost one of her favourite earrings about 6 weeks ago on holiday about 500 miles from where she lives. The other day she was getting ready to go away for her birthday weekend and was thinking what a great shame it was she couldn’t wear her earrings. She left the room she was in, returning some minutes later to see the earring in the middle of her dressing table as large as life. So she wore them all weekend. Anyone who has read my other stories will know that she has had odd goings on in her house and this is just the latest. She was so pleased to get the earring back.

One of my friends was forever losing her glasses. In fact I bought her one of those things where you whistle to find something.
She stopped using it because its noise annoyed her.
Anyway one day she couldn't find them although she was sure she had put them in her bag when we were out( she only puts them on to drive or read small print if I'm not with her). She went though every pocket in the bag and even shook it upside down and was bit upset.
A little later I picked up her bag and they were just sitting there.

Had similar myself, only with money.

A friend rang me in tears because she'd taken a wad of cash out of the bank to pay bills and couldn't find it. She'd already ransacked the place.

I went over, not expecting to be able to help, and asked her where she'd normally put it. She said it should be in the kitchen drawer which she'd already tipped out several times.

She had put everything back in the drawer by then. I opened it and felt about on the left side, and there was the money. It wasn't in an envelope or a rubber band, just placed there standing up on edge.

To me it looked as if she was playing silly buggers, and she said if she didn't know I hadn't been to hers since she took the money out she'd've thought I'd nicked it and put it back to pull her leg. I still don't now what happened there.
I wonder if it's because it was standing up on edge. She was looking for money that looked like money - flat and papery. Like the way I can't see a sink plunger if it's lying down, because it should be a stick with a bit on the bottom. If it's on its side, it's literally invisible to me.

Hello

Ok so just a quick but really quite amazing tale.

So about two weeks ago my Aunty Mavis, now 80 odd and losing some of the weight so essential in defining her younger self, lost her wedding ring somewhere in her house. Obviously upset by this unfortunate occurrence Mavis conducted a thorough search of her place, alas to no avail. Now, over the back wall and down the road a bit lives Aunty Mavis' daughter and her husband Ian. Around a week after Mavis' ring had gone for a ball of chalk Ian, also lost his wedding ring (he thought) whilst shopping in Asda. According to him he first noted the naked finger following a delve into the lose onions. In the same manner as Aunty Mavis so too did Ian conduct a thorough search and, again, just like Mavis, the hunt proved fruitless. Fast forward to a few days ago and Ian receives a call from Asda that his ring has been handed in having been found beneath the potatoes... the same day, in her kitchen Aunty Mavis finally locates her own wedding ring, yes.... in a bag of spuds
This line - "now 80 odd and losing some of the weight so essential in defining her younger self" - is the most perfect piece of prose I've read in a while.

Back