• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. Victory

Let There Be More Light: The Pink Floyd Thread

Walters has taken his bigotry and placed in front and centre of his music. It's possible to discuss his music in an artistic sense, but only through the lens of that bigotry. It's a personal attack on someone like me. The previous Floyd catalogue, obviously a seperate issue. That's my...
  2. Victory

Fortean Headlines

Nominative determinism.
  3. Victory

Fortean Headlines

So sorry that you had to go through that.
  4. Victory

Let There Be More Light: The Pink Floyd Thread

The recent shows pushed across boundaries of decency for me. To wear Nazi style uniform and project images of Anne Frank at a concert in Germany is irresponsible at best, downright disturbed at worst. And with him being investigated by German police, possibly illegal.
  5. Victory

London Ghost Books (And Other British Ghost Books)

Thank you. Added to my list of things to buy when I have some spare cash.
  6. Victory

Strange Things As Food & Drink

In London we have Wong Kei, a large Chinese restaurant in Chinatown. The London Evening Standard used to give it the award for the rudest waiters. There was also Gabi's, a delicatessen in Charing Cross Road, opposite Leicester Square station. It got mentions too. I went in there a couple of...
  7. Victory

Not As Environmentally Friendly As Promised

I can see from how my post was formatted how you thought I meant all Smart Cars. Apologies.
  8. Victory

Other elephants are: How to recycle their batteries Fire risk of the batteries in the cars Massive amount of energy needed to build them i.e. see Rowan Atkinson's article here...
  9. Victory

No, I was specifically commenting on the Citroen Ami's top speed of 28mph.
  10. Victory

I don't like the idea of a 28 mph limit for inter city driving. Sometimes you have to accelerate away from danger. I am not talking about being reckless, but on a dual carriage way the limit can be 60 mph. For central London though, most cars would seldom get above 30 mph anyway, so I can...
  11. Victory

Jack The Ripper (Compendium Thread)

This is an important point. Most males in the East End would have been between five foot two and five foot eight or so. (Though no doubt quite strong from physical labour, and Boxing with it's resultant conditioning was much more widely practiced by young men than today.) Anyone taller than...
  12. Victory

Stairs & Our Attitudes Toward Them

That's one of the funniest posts I have read in ages. In the internet age, one buys Chainmail from here https://www.theknightshop.com/buy-historical-armour/chainmail-armour-uk And after you've had enough of stair surfing, you can sit on a long wooden bench, admire a tapestry and sip mead...
  13. Victory

Stacking Stones, Pile Of Pebbles

We do this when we visit a Jewish cemetery.
  14. Victory

Weird, Rare, Forgotten & Discontinued Food Products

@Lord Lucan Tab and Fresca were very popular in my part of North West London in the early 1980's. Diet Coke was not launched until 1982, there was quite a lot of excitement about Tab as a sugar free Cola, but then it became less popular once Diet Coke came onto the market. Lemonade was a...
  15. Victory

Where Does It Come From? Origins Of Phrases & Expressions

They had a type of custard, though whether it was regarded in the same way we use it I don't know. Looks very tasty. From: https://myculinarysaga.com/roman-custard/ "The Romans made custard, as we would make, except that they omitted vanilla, which the Romans didn’t have. They did however...
  16. Victory

World's Oldest Parents

“Just when I thought I was out…they pull me back in.”
  17. Victory

Where Does It Come From? Origins Of Phrases & Expressions

Not the same as that use of vanilla, as @Frideswide has pointed out. The only non-food use of the word custard, when used as an adjective, that I can think of, is linked to custard pie throwing onstage or in films - as in "slapstick" comedy. It might be used to describe a "Custard pie...
  18. Victory

Carry On Fortean

1.) Up The Khyber 2.) At Your Convenience 3.) Cleo
  19. Victory

London Ghost Books (And Other British Ghost Books)

Thanks you @SimonBurchell and @Spookdaddy I had no idea the Haunted London series had so many different areas of London with individual books,
  20. Victory

Ridiculous Accidents

Better to have a vehicle stuck in a width restriction than in @Floyd1 's road. At least the restriction would have a middle section that could be opened, and another side that could still be used. I bet the amount of oversized vehicles that would get stuck in one would be far less than...
  21. Victory

The Roswell Incident [1947]

Perhaps if these craft are piloted by aliens or by alien built robots/clones, they might crash here because they got into mechanical trouble in space whilst en route to somewhere else? They use us for a planned crash landing? They are (relatively) nearby at the time they get into trouble, and...
  22. Victory

Cheese Rolling

I wonder if he is related to Anthony Crolla, the Mancunian who was a world lightweight Boxing champion a few years back?
  23. Victory

Bitcoin & Other Cryptocurrencies

A friend called today. He said he'd been through a rough time the past few months. Someone stole 100 grand of his crypto currency. Obviously someone who can invest 100 grand is not poor, but neither is he wealthy. He has a family to support, and I got the impression he invested a fair chunk...
  24. Victory

Stairs & Our Attitudes Toward Them

I too dislike staircases with slats/gaps. I feel unsettled using them, and relieved afterwards. I do not blame myself for this. I think my brain is sending me signals that such a structure has potential dangers.
  25. Victory

Ridiculous Accidents

I'd ask the local council/MP to install a width and height restriction at either end of the road.
  26. Victory

Militant Or Closed-Minded Skeptics

Years ago I worked in a job, and myself and a colleague were discussing whether the Ancient Egyptians had electricity, perhaps generated from a battery. I offered the view that it was probable they had some form of it, though very limited compared to today's world. A colleague at the next desk...
  27. Victory

Fortean Headlines

British man's dream to sail Atlantic Ocean in "Smallest ever vessel to do so", ends when it sinks in a dock and then falls apart during repairs. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12136409/Brits-dream-sail-Atlantic-home-3ft-yacht-ends-heartbreak.html ( I feel sad for this man. I admire...
  28. Victory

What Common, Everyday Occurrence Do You Find Strange?

It's not a confusion. It's that in the UK a summer barbeque means grilling food outside, usually on a small grill device. The resulting burger/sausage/chicken is often dark and burned on the outside, and not so well cooked on the inside. It's then put in a white bread roll, ketchup added, and...
  29. Victory

Triangular UFO Sightings

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12112321/Black-half-football-field-sized-triangular-UFO-hovers-California-military-base-video.html
  30. Victory

Artificial Intelligence (A.I.)

The one on the left looks like a younger Statto (Angus Loughran)
  31. Victory

What Common, Everyday Occurrence Do You Find Strange?

Barbeque. I have never had any food that tasted nicer when barbequed than when it was cooked in a kitchen by grilling, baking, roasting, frying etc. I include burgers hot dogs, chicken, lamb chops, mushrooms. I understand why cooking outside can avoid the smell of food inside a house, and...
  32. Victory

Latest Reports Of UFO Sightings

Professor Gary Nolan of Stanford University says that scans of pilots brains prove aliens have visited earth. More from The Sun. https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/22443092/scientist-garry-nolan-fighter-pilots-ufos-aliens-earth/
  33. Victory

Ridiculous Accidents

These bus crashes where they go under a bridge that is too low for their height happen fairly often. I bet in nearly all cases they are drivers supplied by temp agencies who take routes and diversion they are not supposed to. Otherwise how could a bus normally fit under the bridge?
  34. Victory

Speakers' Corner: Man Admits Hyde Park Gun-Attack Plot

If it was from Brighton to London then that explains it. At age 21 spending that money plus having £5,000 on him makes me wonder if that was his life savings and he had no intent on living or being a free man after his planned attack.
  35. Victory

Speakers' Corner: Man Admits Hyde Park Gun-Attack Plot

£300 for a taxi?
  36. Victory

Coincidences

In 1857 Ramsgate born philanthropist Moses Montefiore built a windmill in Mishkenot Sha'ananim, then on the outskirt of Jerusalem. In 1948 it was used as a Haganah lookout. When the British troops arrived to blow up the windmill as ordered, they saw a commemorative plaque on the windmill which...
  37. Victory

The Evil Eye

(My apologies if there is already a thread on this, and if so please merge it. I searched and could not find one.) Has anyone had experience of this? The belief that someone can give you a dirty look, look through jealous or hateful eyes, and it causes you harm? Or of protecting yourself...
  38. Victory

A Royal Prophecy That Could Still Come True?

Yes, four stages: 1.) When the monarch dies, the first in line immediately becomes monarch. 2.) Within two or three days, the monarch has an Accession Ceremony at St.James Palace where a council of senior clergy/politicians/aristocrats formally recognises them and proclaims their sovereignty...
  39. Victory

Coincidences

The decision to pursue the customer would be taken at a level way above me. The company has employed external debt collection companies at times, but I think this only happens if a customer makes no attempt to pay a debt and does not respond to letters and calls. If they are in touch, even if...
  40. Victory

Personal Data On The Internet

Where some famous people live is fairly common knowledge. The homes of Paul McCartney, Freddie Mercury and Boy George were on the tourist trail. Others will be known to neighbours, taxi drivers and those noticing them in databases. But if I was to ask you to send the address of a particular...
  41. Victory

Personal Data On The Internet

I agree with @Yithian In numerous jobs I have had access to company databases containing names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses of famous people. If I was a nutter, then who knows what I could do with that data? That said, if the security services really need to track your...
  42. Victory

Coincidences

Today at work I had to speak to a customer who had tried to rip off the company I work for by over a grand. He got caught, and instead of the police being involved, he agreed to pay back the money over a period of time. Ten minutes ago I was wondering what would have happened had he not agreed...
  43. Victory

Edwin S. Shneidman's MAPS (Make A Picture Story Test)

It makes me want to do the test but in a way that the results will not be shared in case I am disturbed!
  44. Victory

Israel & Palestine: Archaeology & Archaeological Findings

An early Hebrew inscription from Mount Ebal near Nablus that was found on a folded lead tablet during an excavation in the 1980s recently underwent x-ray tomographic measurements to reveal hidden text. Epigraphic analysis of the data revealed a formulaic curse written in a proto-alphabetic...
  45. Victory

The Somerset Gimp (Gimp Suit Man)

He can be the UK's Eurovision entry next year, with his noises set to a Fatboy Slim backing track.
  46. Victory

Monopoly Legends

There are some interesting notes about how the original London Monopoly board was compiled. Wikipedia states: "The locations selected in 1935 by Victor Watson, managing director of John Waddington Limited. He took his secretary Marjory Phillips on a day-trip from the head offices in Leeds to...
  47. Victory

Time Or Dimensional Slips

I had this too. In a previous job we had to drive clients to a few locations in London for some sort of jolly. I was questioned by my boss why I used a paper A-Z bound map for location finding, and also a diary to note the locations in paper and pen, when everyone else used a phone based...
  48. Victory

Fortean Headlines

Whilst the 20 mph speed limit reduces chances of pedestrians getting killed, this fact is irrelevant without context. It reduces chances of a pedestrian getting killed IF they get hit by a car. On the stretch of road the Archbishop was caught doing 25 mph, there are very few pedestrians. It is...
  49. Victory

Fortean Headlines

Albert Embankment. A road which for years was 30 mph. Wide enough for that speed, not especially busy with pedestrians. Then bizarrely made into a 20 mph and speed cameras added. Anyone who has been driving for over 5 years will have an inbuilt "speedometer" in our brains, we know what 30...
  50. Victory

Fortean Headlines

I wonder if he had a roll with it https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-engla...DLp7zS8IwDNgm_hXRi4qHY1uA_FAxI-FYFJjmy09feeVk Was it definitely maybe a battered sausage? When you leave the chippy, don't look back in anger. I bet eating it gave him mucky fingers.
Back